AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2018-07-19, 08:54   Link #4421
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
Did I ever make an argument that sounds like "Only things that I like is worthy of deep analysis!" in this thread? If so then please point it out to me.

To demonstrate that theory, let's pick up a couple titles from my recommendations above: Haibane Renmei & Texhnolyze.
I'm not very big on Haibane. It was never one of my favorite shows. As for Texhnolyze, you can even say that I dislike it. But those shows have the intelligence and richness that I can't argue regardless of my feelings of them.
I think you misunderstand a little where I'm coming from. I just heard you say 1) You don't like the show and 2) Wished he analyzed other shows instead of this one. I am sorry if the conclusion I drew from this was in error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
He could use some more intelligent shows with rich themes and nuances. Shows like Monster, Shin Sekai Yori, Haibane Renmei, Serial Experiments Lain, Texhnolyze, etc. Those shows actually deserve to get deeper analyses because they are so rich and, dare I say, unique & original in some parts.
See, you say you wat him to use "more intelligent shows", which I took to mean that shows you like are "intelligent" and this one is not, and therefore not worthy of being analyzed. Therefore I'm arguing that just because you don't like a show doesn't mean no one should analyze it.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand what you meant. But this is what happens when people use objective qualifiers to state something subjective. I get confused.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 09:13   Link #4422
wuhugm
Salted Tiger
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hell of Cliches
Honest opinion here

- Before the VIRM reveal, this anime was great
- After VIRM, there are good moments, but the space events were just terrible
- I don't like Gigguk's videos because they have deep analysis, but because they are funny and entertaining
- For deep videos I go to Nearly On Red or wisecrack (have you guys watched the Evangelion video, it was awesome)

Btw, Gigguk doesn't like Franxx but he did consider 02 best girl of the season so it kinda offset each other
__________________
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 09:29   Link #4423
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I think you misunderstand a little where I'm coming from. I just heard you say 1) You don't like the show and 2) Wished he analyzed other shows instead of this one. I am sorry if the conclusion I drew from this was in error.

See, you say you wat him to use "more intelligent shows", which I took to mean that shows you like are "intelligent" and this one is not, and therefore not worthy of being analyzed. Therefore I'm arguing that just because you don't like a show doesn't mean no one should analyze it.

I'm sorry if I misunderstand what you meant.
It's actually pretty simple:
  • I don't like every intelligent, nuanced and rich shows out there. I already gave you Haibane Renmei & Texhnolyze as examples of such shows that I'm not a fan of. But due to their rich, intelligent, artful and strong content, I think they still deserve deeper analyses regardless of my enthusiasm of those shows. That's something that I think FranXX lacks of.
  • I don't hate FranXX. Do I have to repeat that each time I post a comment in this thread? I think it's a passable mecha time-waster. There's no question that there are much worse mecha shows out there, but excuse me if I don't sing the gospel of FranXX because I think it's just...okay. Not great but not awful either. A perfectly entertaining mediocre show. Surely you can do a lot worse than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
But this is what happens when people use objective qualifiers to state something subjective. I get confused.
I guess you did not catch the first words that I said when I started my suggestion about what he should review next:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
I honestly think........
So yeah, this is all what I think. I never force anyone to agree with me. I'm just voicing my impression of things here.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 10:27   Link #4424
BetoJR
A blast from the past
*Artist
 
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Fortaleza-CE, Brazil
Age: 41
Some of you guys really enjoy arguing, huh?
__________________
It's always a great time to immerse yourself in Deculture love!
All hail the Empress!!!

BetoJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-19, 14:18   Link #4425
EroKing
Version 6.9
 
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
NSFW
Lewd horn(y) action
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

NSFW
Rope play
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

NSFW
Bewbs
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

__________________
EroKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 10:20   Link #4426
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetoJR View Post
Some of you guys really enjoy arguing, huh?
I'm... Not sure what you mean by that. Is there something wrong with having an honest discussion? And explaining yourself when you're misunderstood.. And asking for an explanation when you don't understand something?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Obelisk ze Tormentor View Post
It's actually pretty simple:
  • I don't like every intelligent, nuanced and rich shows out there. I already gave you Haibane Renmei & Texhnolyze as examples of such shows that I'm not a fan of. But due to their rich, intelligent, artful and strong content, I think they still deserve deeper analyses regardless of my enthusiasm of those shows. That's something that I think FranXX lacks of.
  • I don't hate FranXX. Do I have to repeat that each time I post a comment in this thread? I think it's a passable mecha time-waster. There's no question that there are much worse mecha shows out there, but excuse me if I don't sing the gospel of FranXX because I think it's just...okay. Not great but not awful either. A perfectly entertaining mediocre show. Surely you can do a lot worse than that.

I guess you did not catch the first words that I said when I started my suggestion about what he should review next:
So yeah, this is all what I think. I never force anyone to agree with me. I'm just voicing my impression of things here.
Other than the fact that I don't recall saying you hated it, nor do I recall saying I felt forced to agree, I think I have a bit of a handle of what you were saying. You don't think he shouldn't have done such an extensive analysis on this show, you are just interested in what he has to say about some other shows. I'm sorry for not understanding right away.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 10:22   Link #4427
foxbox360
New Age Badass
 
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Charlotte, NC
I guess the series jump the shark at the Virm revealed and gave us a open ending.
__________________
Mecha need to evolve!!!!!
foxbox360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 11:34   Link #4428
Obelisk ze Tormentor
Black Steel Knight
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Indonesia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Other than the fact that I don't recall saying you hated it,
You said I dislike it. Dislike, hate, not fond of, same difference. Rather than dislike or hate, my feeling is rather mixed, meh, or so-so about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
nor do I recall saying I felt forced to agree
Not exactly referring to you, but to those reading this thread who feel insecure about my negative comments about FranXX to the point where they want me to stress that it's all just my opinion. And believe me, they exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
I think I have a bit of a handle of what you were saying. You don't think he shouldn't have done such an extensive analysis on this show, you are just interested in what he has to say about some other shows. I'm sorry for not understanding right away.
That's pretty much it. I think some shows deserve to get deep and thorough analyses more than some others. It has nothing to do with whether I like them or not.
__________________
Obelisk ze Tormentor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-20, 12:31   Link #4429
Blueknight78
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
going a "little off", here from him a video where he is asking what shows he must talk now:
YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
http://forums.animesuki.com/images/as.icon/signaturepics/sigpic240848_1.gif:small
Blueknight78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-21, 13:48   Link #4430
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Mmmm.... Mother's Basement did a video. Watch at your own risk:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-21, 15:55   Link #4431
wissenschaft
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Its such a shame. I really loved this show up to ep 15. Sigh.
__________________
wissenschaft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-21, 17:11   Link #4432
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 33
Nothing wrong with that video. I don't entirely agree with what he's saying but he's being completely fair.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-21, 19:13   Link #4433
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: In your bloodstream
Age: 68
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Mmmm.... Mother's Basement did a video. Watch at your own risk:
I agreed with much of what he had to say.

I can't imagine investing all that time reviewing an anime, but he's good at what he does. I''m curious to see what other shows he has reviewed.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-29, 22:56   Link #4434
firemagnet
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twi View Post
Mmmm.... Mother's Basement did a video. Watch at your own risk:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
A video in which he completely misses the meta narrative and retelling of the golden bough, and instead writes it off as "just another trigger show that pulls too heavily from other trigger shows," yet again proving that wrapping complex narratives and philosophical plot points into action/drama shows will be missed by most western (read: US) viewers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Nothing wrong with that video. I don't entirely agree with what he's saying but he's being completely fair.
His criticism of the plot twists and buildup, as well as some of the writing quirks is fair, but his overall criticism is unfounded as it completely misses what Th8a (nearly on red) laid out in his analysis of the show.

Given how Mother's Basement reviewed Re:Creators, I'm honestly surprised that he treated Darling in the Franxx so harshly and that he missed the references to the broader heroic narrative (the golden bough) so thoroughly.

Last edited by LKK; 2018-07-30 at 09:11. Reason: Posts merged. Don't post multiple times in a row. Use the Edit button instead.
firemagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-29, 23:03   Link #4435
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Don't double post within two minutes of yourself. You have an edit button.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-29, 23:20   Link #4436
Vaans
NEET
 
 
Join Date: Feb 2014
Location: Manila
The ending was okay for me.

With all that has happened, I just accepted it and move on.
__________________
A cop pulled me over and told me "Papers", so I said
"Scissors, I win!" and drove off. -

http://coolfunnyquotes.com .
Vaans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 04:55   Link #4437
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Unknown
Age: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemagnet View Post
His criticism of the plot twists and buildup, as well as some of the writing quirks is fair, but his overall criticism is unfounded as it completely misses what Th8a (nearly on red) laid out in his analysis of the show.

Given how Mother's Basement reviewed Re:Creators, I'm honestly surprised that he treated Darling in the Franxx so harshly and that he missed the references to the broader heroic narrative (the golden bough) so thoroughly.
That's just like, his opinion, man.
Dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 05:49   Link #4438
Sacredus
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Valhalla
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemagnet View Post
A video in which he completely misses the meta narrative and retelling of the golden bough, and instead writes it off as "just another trigger show that pulls too heavily from other trigger shows," yet again proving that wrapping complex narratives and philosophical plot points into action/drama shows will be missed by most western (read: US) viewers.
1. All plot, world and character building was thrown into garbage by aliens
2. This is not even Trigger show, it's A1 anime that Trigger only helped with 6 or so episodes

First 15 episodes: 8/10
Episodes 16-20: 6/10
Episodes 21-24: 2/10
Overall 4/10
Sacredus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 09:48   Link #4439
Twi
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
I might respect Nearly On Red for both his efforts and viewpoints, but I agree with Jeff on this one.
__________________
https://wandsandvials.wordpress.com/2017/12/27/an-alchemist-sets-out-1-01/
Twi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-07-30, 10:25   Link #4440
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by firemagnet View Post
A video in which he completely misses the meta narrative and retelling of the golden bough, and instead writes it off as "just another trigger show that pulls too heavily from other trigger shows," yet again proving that wrapping complex narratives and philosophical plot points into action/drama shows will be missed by most western (read: US) viewers.
But how many American schools utilize The Golden Bough as required reading nowadays? I graduated from college without having to read this.
__________________
orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 23:47.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.