AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2011-04-09, 08:04   Link #41
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riga92 View Post
^ I just read that fanfic and wow, it is amazing.

The author depicted every character perfectly. Its so amazing that I imagined the whole story as I read in my head, as if I was watching an actual episode of Madoka.
The author also has a one-shot series that, while extremely random and just a little difficult to like because of it, does no worse a job of portraying the characters. Highlights include Homura/Madoka as King/Queen Triton from The Little Mermaid (and within the same story, Kyoko/Sayaka as Ariel/the Prince), and the girls playing the roles of the Survivors from Left4Dead (of course, no Left4Dead crossover would be good without a cheese-loving Witch named Charlotte). Like I said its a little hard to life if you're not into inane randomness, but if you can get past that its also very good.

Last edited by Akashin; 2011-04-12 at 21:00.
Akashin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-09, 09:38   Link #42
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snork View Post
Fanfiction.net has a bunch of those already, mostly bittersweet romantic decadence revolving around the events of ep 8/9. I personally liked Matchmaker the most, it's touching and decent (despite being in M section, although I really can't see why it was put there, something like T would be enough).
Thanks for that!

Matchmaker was an entertaining read. I agree that it was touching. Ironically for a Kyouko/Sayaka fic, though, I felt that it actually captured Homura and Madoka's characters best of all (however little they may have appeared onscreen).
Old 2011-04-09, 17:48   Link #43
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akashin View Post
The author also has a one-shot series that, while extremely random and just a little difficult to like because of it, does no worse a job of portraying the characters. Highlights include Homura/Madoka as King/Queen Triton from The Little Mermaid (and within the same story, Kyoko/Sayaka as Ariel/the Prince), and the girls playing the roles of the Survivors from Left4Dead (of course, no Left4Dead crossover would be good without a cheese-loving Witch named Charlotte). Like I said its a little hard to life if you're not into inane randomness, but if you can get past that its also very good.
I also read these too and they are pretty entertaining. My favorite one was of course the Left4Dead crossover. I loved how Mami tamed witch Charlotte with cheese
Old 2011-04-09, 20:24   Link #44
RadiantBeam
Test Drive
*Author

Send a message via AIM to RadiantBeam
Quote:
I also read these too and they are pretty entertaining. My favorite one was of course the Left4Dead crossover. I loved how Mami tamed witch Charlotte with cheese
That was my favorite, too. I also liked how Homura was totally prepared for the zombie apocalypse, and how calmly she told Mami everything she didn't know. I really hope a second part is posted for it, it's been my favorite in the series.
Old 2011-04-09, 23:58   Link #45
Riga92
The Spear of Destiny

I found a really good fanfic everyone should read:The Second Law of Thermodynamics

It's narrated by Kyubey and it goes in-depth on the end of the universe by entropy.

It also contains speculation on Charlotte's life before she was a witch, Mami's relationship with her parents and her wish, and Madoka's wish in the first timeline.
Old 2011-04-10, 10:46   Link #46
Akashin

Quote:
I found a really good fanfic everyone should read:The Second Law of Thermodynamics

It's narrated by Kyubey and it goes in-depth on the end of the universe by entropy.

It also contains speculation on Charlotte's life before she was a witch, Mami's relationship with her parents and her wish, and Madoka's wish in the first timeline.
Despite being a little iffy at first since it started out feeling like a few pages from a textbook in (vaguely) story form, I ended up enjoying that a great deal. The bit about Madoka's TL1 wish was an interesting touch, though on the flipside I felt the author bungled Kyubey's character a bit (it cleaned up toward the end, but I particularly disliked the descriptions attributed to Charlotte; they didn't feel remotely like thoughts Kyubey would have).

On an unrelated note, I will see your law of thermodynamics and raise you a slightly unrealistic apocalypse.
Old 2011-04-11, 09:37   Link #47
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Quote:
That was pretty good until it got to Mami and friends watching everything from their spaceship.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 09:59   Link #48
Snork
Twilight lander

Send a message via ICQ to Snork
Quote:
spaceship.
Heaven. That's what they call it now. Well, since the fanfic deals with the concept of Gretchen retaining a certain personality and some of Madoka's memories, why not go further and suggest survival option for the others' souls? Which the author did. What made me roll my eyes is actually Kyuubey, not in regards to the plot but to Kyuubey himself. The white twerp(s) deserved some cataclism, really.
Snork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 10:19   Link #49
Hagoshod
Banned

Send a message via AIM to Hagoshod
Yes, I know what Heaven is. I've used this plot device in some of my own ramblings.

But, in this case, it just seemed like a random inclusion in what started off as an interesting Homura-centered story.
Hagoshod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-11, 10:36   Link #50
Akashin

Yeah, I felt the same way about it including other characters. The Kyoko/Sayaka part wasn't too, too bad but the Mami one made me wince a bit. There was also the part where you had to wonder how, if Gretchen was killing sinners the moment her barrier reached them (this isn't stated on her card, but I could easily see that being the case), Homura avoided bursting into flames. Good intentioned or no, I have a bit of trouble seeing her be accepted as a part of this Gretchen's barrier. Eh, again, it's a small thing.

As far as Kyubey went, I didn't really care too much since that more or less fell in line with my personal belief of Madoka being the Pandora's Box that he's better off not touching. That said, this story takes that idea more or less to its logical conclusion.
Old 2011-04-12, 05:08   Link #51
Snork
Twilight lander

Intermission

A somewhat hilarious parody, if you don't mind a load of strong language there.

Spoiler for the prize line of the whole fic:
Old 2011-04-12, 09:59   Link #52
Akashin

Quote:
Intermission

Spoiler for lol wut?:

I read that fic <_< Perhaps worse is the fact that what is probably a throwaway line to another fic (the quote in question references IF, by ShadowKittenMewFan, unless I'm mistaken) was the highlight of reading it for me. Maybe I'm just desensitized to fics that sort of break the fourth wall on the whole "this story is fiction" thing. It smacks heavily of a series of Harry Potter fanfiction in which the characters would read and do running commentary on the books that they themselves are from. Allegedly such a thing can be done well, but I don't see how.

Points to this fic for making me chuckle lightly in some places though, I guess.
Old 2011-04-12, 18:16   Link #53
mahoushounenlelouch
Cynicism defined!

Hi guys, I'm the author of that Gretchen's apocalypse fic. As for the Mami part, I admit that part could use sprucing up, and as for the parts with HomuMado, I plan to expand them when I write the final draft. Anyways, I'm thankful for everyone's criticisms so that I can correct them.

Now, I'd like to recommend a good KyouSaya fic that came out today A Happy Dream. I feel that it's nicely written and I love Kyouko's character in it.
mahoushounenlelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 20:23   Link #54
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoushounenlelouch View Post
Hi guys, I'm the author of that Gretchen's apocalypse fic. As for the Mami part, I admit that part could use sprucing up, and as for the parts with HomuMado, I plan to expand them when I write the final draft. Anyways, I'm thankful for everyone's criticisms so that I can correct them.

Now, I'd like to recommend a good KyouSaya fic that came out today A Happy Dream. I feel that it's nicely written and I love Kyouko's character in it.
That fic was... well, it was well written (for the most part) and it was interesting (again, for the most part) but I didn't end up enjoying it too much. That has more to do with this fic continuing the idea that ZipCode, and maybe others that I'm not aware of, started. I get why Kyoko comes off as the type accustomed to life on the streets, that much makes perfect sense, but I still don't like reading about it too much. Still, it was well written and interesting, so I'll keep an eye on it regardless.

On the subject of your fic, you're welcome for the criticism; hopefully it came off as constructive rather than insulting.
Old 2011-04-12, 21:37   Link #55
mahoushounenlelouch
Cynicism defined!

Nah, it was constructive.

So, what sorta fanfics would you like to see written? I honestly don't think that Madoka will get a lot of fics overall btw, despite Madoka fandom being larger than usual for a SHAFT anime. I think that SHAFT's weirdness and the magical girl theme in general turns off most people who are into shounen, not to mention the fact that the series is seinen(according to Wikipedia, anyway).
mahoushounenlelouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-04-12, 21:43   Link #56
sa547
*Author

Quote:
Intermission

LOL, surprisingly good dialogue, too. Give that one 10 brownie points!
Old 2011-04-12, 21:45   Link #57
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahoushounenlelouch View Post
Nah, it was constructive.

So, what sorta fanfics would you like to see written? I honestly don't think that Madoka will get a lot of fics overall btw, despite Madoka fandom being larger than usual for a SHAFT anime. I think that SHAFT's weirdness and the magical girl theme in general turns off most people who are into shounen, not to mention the fact that the series is seinen(according to Wikipedia, anyway).
PMMM is one of those series that doesn't lend itself all that well to fanfiction (to get a feel for what I mean, I see Fate/Stay Night as being in a similar boat). By this I mean the story is written in such a way that fanfiction (at least non-one-shot fanfiction) wouldn't work out all that well. I could be proven wrong (and may very well make my own effort to prove myself wrong after the series is done airing), but with two (and after the fic you recommended, possibly 3) notable exceptions, one-shots seem to be the only thing that'll work effectively with this story.

To summarize all of this, I would love to see a non-one-shot that works, but with the aforementioned two/three exceptions I don't have high hopes.
Old 2011-04-12, 23:53   Link #58
sa547
*Author

Quote:
PMMM is one of those series that doesn't lend itself all that well to fanfiction (to get a feel for what I mean, I see Fate/Stay Night as being in a similar boat). By this I mean the story is written in such a way that fanfiction (at least non-one-shot fanfiction) wouldn't work out all that well. I could be proven wrong (and may very well make my own effort to prove myself wrong after the series is done airing), but with two (and after the fic you recommended, possibly 3) notable exceptions, one-shots seem to be the only thing that'll work effectively with this story.

To summarize all of this, I would love to see a non-one-shot that works, but with the aforementioned two/three exceptions I don't have high hopes.
I'm thinking of a multi-chapter AU fic, perhaps a crossover with another show sharing some of the themes present in Madoka.
Old 2011-04-13, 01:09   Link #59
Akashin

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa547 View Post
I'm thinking of a multi-chapter AU fic, perhaps a crossover with another show sharing some of the themes present in Madoka.
I can't think of a series off hand that both shares themes present in Madoka and would work in a crossover with Madoka, but since I've never had much of a hand for crossovers to begin with (barring a weird Fairy Tail/Legend of Zelda crossover that never left the drawing board) that doesn't necessarily mean much. I'd be delighted to see this, though.
Old 2011-04-13, 02:35   Link #60
Snork
Twilight lander

Quote:
A nice AU, although for now I find it hard not to be cautious about AUs (reading Gretchen's profile seems to have done that to me ). But sigh, it seems like these two just NEED to get into a screwed up situation before they get along.

About fanfics in general, I believe PMMM will still get a fair bit. It's popular, it has several dozens hosted at fanfiction.net even before it's finished (of course, a month-long hiatus and a sea of speculations are also a factor, but still), it... it is the only way for some people to spend more time with the characters who keep going down just as you get to like them. In this light, now wonder some take Kyouko's prayer as adressed to God, but actually directed at them. After all, these two would make brilliant magical girls in any other MG universe (have them enroll in TSAB and see the results), seeing them end their lives like that just because the plot is LESS than friendly to heroes of justice does seem unfair, especially to the genre fans. Ditto with Mami. On the other hand, if you feel that it was the character's lives wasted unfairly rather than the characters themselves... it speaks in favour of the authors.

On anothe note, ZipCode's crossover pack is updated. I was rather indifferent to all the chapters save the Little Mermaid one, but this... good Lord, Mami as Kamina?!! Gotta read this to the end. Thank the author for not replacing Boota with Kyuubey, at least.
Somehow I think Sayaka or Kyouko would make a better Kamina, but... I have my guesses about the author's choice.

Last edited by Snork; 2011-04-13 at 02:54.

Tags
discussion, fanfiction