AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Sword Art Online > Past SAO Anime

Notices

View Poll Results: Critique of Episode 20
10 out of 10 : Near Perfect... 46 37.40%
9 out of 10 : Excellent... 39 31.71%
8 out of 10 : Very Good... 25 20.33%
7 out of 10 : Good... 7 5.69%
6 out of 10 : Average... 1 0.81%
5 out of 10 : Below Average... 1 0.81%
4 out of 10 : Poor... 1 0.81%
3 out of 10 : Bad... 1 0.81%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad... 1 0.81%
1 out of 10 : Torturous... 1 0.81%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2012-11-18, 02:36   Link #101
Tsukiyomi
step closer to Amaterasu

When was Kirito ever with an Undine???
Old 2012-11-18, 02:53   Link #102
Kokukirin
Shadow of Effilisi

This is by far the best fight scene of the series.

And oh, more fan services. Yay?
Kokukirin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 02:56   Link #103
Clarste
Human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsukiyomi View Post
When was Kirito ever with an Undine???
He wasn't. The guy was lying to cover for him. The moral of the story being to make good friends with your enemies when you have nothing against them (which he's consistently been doing).
Clarste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 03:18   Link #104
FlareKnight
User of the "Fast Draw"

Send a message via AIM to FlareKnight Send a message via MSN to FlareKnight
Hilarious bluff by Kirito though. When things are bad might as well go for broke and see what happens .
Old 2012-11-18, 03:25   Link #105
Sixth
Hu Tao

Kirito is literally a god in this game.

Handsome, powerful, smart, and rich enough to fund a military. No wonder Lyfa succumbed into Kirito's charm.

Also, I am totally speechless when I saw Sigurd had 2 semi-naked girls sitting on his lap, and other players were offering their tributes to him. Are they really a player? I can understand if this is a real-life, but to degrade yourself into a slave just because someone is stronger/influencial than you in MMORPG is simply just make no sense.
Sixth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 03:30   Link #106
GoddyofAus
Level 5 Pyrokineticist

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post

Handsome, powerful, smart, and rich enough to fund a military. No wonder Lyfa succumbed into Kirito's charm.

Also, I am totally speechless when I saw Sigurd had 2 semi-naked girls sitting on his lap, and other players were offering their tributes to him. Are they really a player? I can understand if this is a real-life, but to degrade yourself into a slave just because someone is stronger/influencial than you in MMORPG is simply just make no sense.
More likely they were NPCs.
GoddyofAus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 03:42   Link #107
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

I was surprised by how very bad this episode was. I think it's the worst episode in the series so far, and by a long way. I liked the fight scenes and the animation, but the problem was in the dialogue, with the way Kirito acted and the way people treated him.

- Kirito is awfully perky and relaxed for someone who's on such an important mission. He's on a strict time limit for saving Asuna, here!
- Leafa appears to think there's no chance of victory, but once she gets to the meeting place, Kirito's standing in front of the group and she's all "But the one thing I can say is that our fates depend on him". And then, later, when the leaders are thanking her, she says "I didn't do anything. You should thank Kirito-kun." That's right, she didn't do anything. But it all seems very contrived.
- While it was a good fight, the one-on-one thing seemed a flimsy pretext for allowing Kirito to win and stop the Salamanders.
- Kirito is the best fighter Eugene has ever seen. (Granted, I suppose he should be excellent, given his time in SOA.)
- Leafa says "You're insane, you know?" to Kirito, and he replies with a super cheery "I get that a lot".
- Kirito gets told "I can't believe you came up with that on the spur of the moment." He replies, ever-perky, with "Whenever I have a bad hand, I always raise the pot". Spare us from the witty self-praising one-liners, man. Spare us.
- Then Kirito gets praised for how strong he is, etc, and then he whips out a large fortune of money...
- The Sylph and Cait Sith leaders are both all over Kirito, complete with boob-squishing his arm. And Leafa spends much of the episode completely mesmerised with him.

In short, this ep just had far too much by way of moments where Kirito was amazing and everyone thought so. It was complete overkill. It made Kirito look insufferably perfect, with everything that happened carefully arranged so that he had every possible ounce of praise from nearly everyone, and nobody else got to do anything at all other than be wowed by him. That was just horribly, horribly written. In previous eps, although it is clear that in many ways SOA is a wish-fulfillment series, it was never this blatant.

Thank goodness for Asuna getting a scene near the end. I'm sure the next ep will be a lot better.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 03:58   Link #108
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobita View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenLand View Post
I was surprised by how very bad this episode was. I think it's the worst episode in the series so far, and by a long way. I liked the fight scenes and the animation, but the problem was in the dialogue, with the way Kirito acted and the way people treated him.

- Kirito is awfully perky and relaxed for someone who's on such an important mission. He's on a strict time limit for saving Asuna, here!
- Leafa appears to think there's no chance of victory, but once she gets to the meeting place, Kirito's standing in front of the group and she's all "But the one thing I can say is that our fates depend on him". And then, later, when the leaders are thanking her, she says "I didn't do anything. You should thank Kirito-kun." That's right, she didn't do anything. But it all seems very contrived.
- While it was a good fight, the one-on-one thing seemed a flimsy pretext for allowing Kirito to win and stop the Salamanders.
- Kirito is the best fighter Eugene has ever seen. (Granted, I suppose he should be excellent, given his time in SOA.)
- Leafa says "You're insane, you know?" to Kirito, and he replies with a super cheery "I get that a lot".
- Kirito gets told "I can't believe you came up with that on the spur of the moment." He replies, ever-perky, with "Whenever I have a bad hand, I always raise the pot". Spare us from the witty self-praising one-liners, man. Spare us.
- Then Kirito gets praised for how strong he is, etc, and then he whips out a large fortune of money...
- The Sylph and Cait Sith leaders are both all over Kirito, complete with boob-squishing his arm. And Leafa spends much of the episode completely mesmerised with him.

In short, this ep just had far too much by way of moments where Kirito was amazing and everyone thought so. It was complete overkill. It made Kirito look insufferably perfect, with everything that happened carefully arranged so that he had every possible ounce of praise from nearly everyone, and nobody else got to do anything at all other than be wowed by him. That was just horribly, horribly written. In previous eps, although it is clear that in many ways SOA is a wish-fulfillment series, it was never this blatant.

Thank goodness for Asuna getting a scene near the end. I'm sure the next ep will be a lot better.
Amazing. These posts are in essence describing the same thing. Guess which one will provoke more 'reaction' from fans

One thing I can say is to just enjoy the show. And by show I mean Oppai. This is Sugus Arc Oppai afterall.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:03   Link #109
GoldenLand
Eaten by goats

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Amazing. These posts are in essence describing the same thing.

One thing I can say is to just enjoy the show. And by show I mean Oppai. This is Sugus Arc Oppai afterall.
True!

This was the first ep where, in my opinion, the flaws outweighed the positives to the point where it wasn't enjoyable to watch. (I was too busy cringing over the writing!) But I hope it'll be the only ep in the series to be that way.
GoldenLand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 04:15   Link #110
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
Amazing. These posts are in essence describing the same thing. Guess which one will provoke more 'reaction' from fans

... ALO stands for All Leafa Oppai, (all the time)?
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 04:37   Link #111
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Two more girls. G-Geez, Kirito-kun is such a playboy... >///< Soon he will have a harem out of all cute VRMMORPG girls...
Old 2012-11-18, 04:47   Link #112
Insane
Banned

I'm kinda disappointed that Eugene vs Kirito fight didn't show their HP bars at all during fighting, where it's just pure action. Makes me wondering, how much HP remaining from them when they got some damage from their opponents?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 04:53   Link #113
orpheus2
Pleased to Meet You

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoweGear View Post
END CARD GET!!!!

Images
The end card was gotten
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
What is the artist thinking when he inserted the pig. I wonder if the pig is a sign of something.

Quote:

Quote:
True!

This was the first ep where, in my opinion, the flaws outweighed the positives to the point where it wasn't enjoyable to watch. (I was too busy cringing over the writing!) But I hope it'll be the only ep in the series to be that way.
I have to agree with you regarding the flaws outweigh the positives. I rated it a 7 since I only enjoyed the fight. It would have been nice to have some form of explanation within the narrative. It would have helped the anime only viewers immensely.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:56   Link #114
Hiroi Sekai
ゴリゴリ!
*Graphic Designer

The series needed this episode. Y'know...something where something interesting happens.

But seriously, what's with the pointless fanservice? It feels so shoved in that it's jarring.
Old 2012-11-18, 04:57   Link #115
tyrionlannister

One question I have about this episode: why didn't Kirito obtain Eugene's Gram after killing him? In the previous episode they stated that he got the equipment of the Salamanders he defeated. Is this explained in the novels?
tyrionlannister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 05:08   Link #116
Definitegj

The loot will be random from typical mmorpg experience
Definitegj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 05:30   Link #117
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

It funny because I think this is probably the best episode of this arc considering I haven't been enjoying this arc all that much and could have used an episode where I can just switch off my brain and enjoy a spectacular fight. And now I know where the budget for Shin Sekai Yori went to...
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 05:32   Link #118
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Wow, this episode is the boss thanks to Kirito... again!

Not only he can transform into a freaking monster from last week's episode, but his dual-wielding skills are back! Amazing! Still, at least he wasn't laid by either Sakuya or that Cait Sith leader.

Although Asuna manage to escape, does this mean that Oberon might capture her again or successfully escapes on the next episode?
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-18, 05:41   Link #119
Tsundere Louise
D-Don't stare, baka...

Quote:
Originally Posted by papermario13689 View Post
But seriously, what's with the pointless fanservice? I
You made it sound, like the imouto in red pajama's fanservice was needed. They just had to do it, since Luu and Sakuya just made their appearance. Remember how it was with Sillica? First time and they already shown her in underwear.... baka producers. >///<
Old 2012-11-18, 06:07   Link #120
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zero7090 View Post
yes, in SAO his name is in katakana "キリト" while it is in romanji "Kirito" in ALO
I think I've corrected this many times now, but in the anime, this is not the case. In both SAO and ALO, Kirito is written in Romaji as just "Kirito". There is no other use of Kana, etc.

Quote:
On this one point, I actually thought they demonstrated the opposite rather well. At the very beginning of the episode, they fly out and look at the world tree, and Kirito seems conflicted and all the more in a hurry, and by the end of the episode he explains that he just wants to get to the tree and won't wait for the army. I think he's obviously composed because he knows he has a massive skill advantage, but his attitude at the beginning was more like "let's hurry and get this done (because I've got more important things to get to)" to me.

(And keep in mind that he doesn't know he actually has to "save Asuna". He has to go try to see her, if she's even there.)

Last edited by relentlessflame; 2012-11-18 at 06:23.
relentlessflame is offline   Reply With Quote