AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2015-02-25, 10:25   Link #35921
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Adam Smith was no simplistic laissez-faire advocate and believed some government regulation of the economy was beneficial. Here's a quick summary of many areas where Smith saw the state playing a role: http://economistsview.typepad.com/ec...overnment.html

Modern-day conservatives tend to conveniently ignore these parts of Smith's works, just as they forget those aspects of Ayn Rand's writings they don't agree with like her atheism and support for abortion rights.
Old 2015-02-25, 10:42   Link #35922
Solace
(ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
It's because of the entirely unsubstantiated faith in the Invisible Hand. An Islamic concept of divine economics (That originally claim that Allah actually control the price of goods, and that government price control is blasphemy) that got plagiarised by Adam Smith and used to claim that the market shouldn't have any laws at all, and that it would function best if left alone.

Note that many Americans absolutely do not doubt the existence of the Invisible Hand. Guess that's what happens when one is already religious; it is easier to believe in another god when you already have one.
Islam is heavily critical of usury.

Adam Smith also warned about the blind faith in free markets. Of course, he never could have foreseen what his thoughts on Capitalism became, but he did know that some elements of it needed to be kept in check lest they consume the whole system. Unfortunately, people tend to cherry pick his works. He had a lot of criticisms about market based economics that still apply today.

It's not fair to paint or single out Americans in regards to social indoctrination. Go to the average citizen of most nations on earth and ask them about how markets and money work. You'll probably get the same types of answers. It's all people know, and they either don't know or fear any possible alternatives.

It's not quite the same as religion, because you can choose to opt out of religion if your faith changes. You don't have much of a choice in your economic options.
Old 2015-02-25, 12:28   Link #35923
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

U.S. conservatives urge Boehner to hold firm on immigration
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LS24220150225

Exclusive: China drops leading technology brands for state purchases
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LT1B020150225

Exclusive: Despite wage hike, some Walmart shareholders seek change
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LT0D520150225
Old 2015-02-25, 13:22   Link #35924
maplehurry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Adam Smith was no simplistic laissez-faire advocate and believed some government regulation of the economy was beneficial. Here's a quick summary of many areas where Smith saw the state playing a role: http://economistsview.typepad.com/ec...overnment.html
I blame high school econ or even college econ101. His philosophy was simply summarized to emphasize his difference from Keynes and Marx. Pretty much most econ majors would tell you how terrible/inadequately taught these intro courses were.
Old 2015-02-25, 13:33   Link #35925
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by maplehurry View Post
I blame high school econ or even college econ101. His philosophy was simply summarized to emphasize his difference from Keynes and Marx. Pretty much most econ majors would tell you how terrible/inadequately taught these intro courses were.
Actually I blame the schools which set the syllabuses. I have done Economics since high school, and it is ALWAYS Keynesian. Marxist is banned where I live because the government is staunchly anti-communist, and nobody understands Smith, Hayek, etc.

There are a many different views and I only have 3 modules on Economics - Intro, Microeconomics and Macroeconomics. And the professor drones enough to jam and destroy any Predator drone in the vicinity.

Not even the Masters programmes or PGs go in-depth to discuss the differences.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-02-25, 14:18   Link #35926
maplehurry

Quote:
And the professor drones enough to jam and destroy any Predator drone in the vicinity.

Well, I did a bit of googling on NUS.

http://www.fas.nus.edu.sg/ecs/underg...e/modules.html

I think students will be free to discuss Adam Smith in:

EC3376 European Economic Integration
EC3377 Global Economic History

"Diplomatic Immunity !"
Old 2015-02-25, 15:55   Link #35927
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
MOSCOW — U.S. military combat vehicles paraded Wednesday through an Estonian city that juts into Russia, a symbolic act that highlighted the stakes for both sides amid the worst tensions between the West and Russia since the Cold War.

The armored personnel carriers and other U.S. Army vehicles that rolled through the streets of Narva, a border city separated by a narrow frontier from Russia, were a dramatic reminder of the new military confrontation in Eastern Europe.
The soldiers from the U.S. Army’s Second Cavalry Regiment were taking part in a military parade to mark Estonia’s Independence Day. Narva is a vulnerable border city separated by a river from Russia. It has often been cited as a potential target for the Kremlin if it wanted to escalate its conflict with the West onto NATO territory.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ussian-border/
i really do think the NATOUS should setup a military base in this city.
Old 2015-02-25, 17:40   Link #35928
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmeNoJaku View Post
I also follow that channel, but be warned the staff is Europe-hating, not as in crusades were a bad thing, but in justifying barbarism from jews and muslims against each other as well as everyone else, based on half a millennium old colonialism, while ignoring the local circumstances that followed, the correctly condemned colonial states of that time.
I wouldn't call them "Europe-hating" but I am perfectly aware that they have a very large distaste for the European-centric vision of things which makes it a complete non-issue throughout most of their US History series. And I actually agree with them: its far too easy for us Europeans and those countries of European descent (like the US and Canada) to view things as if Europe is the centre and reason for everything. I like they way they try to focus on China and India in the early World History episodes for example.

I also mostly side with them when it comes to pointing out all the wrongdoings of European colonialism since those are actually truth: European powers were pretty much responsible for the entire current day middle east situation (for instance) and even largely responsible for plenty of failed states in Africa. Maybe that's me being as Europe-centric as they claim to not be but its hard to debate that up until mid 20th century (World War II) Europe was still influencing its then current and previous colonies to detrimental effects. Then the US and the USSR mostly picked up the mantle of screwing with other countries government for short term gain (and even there the US was very adept at doing it to South and Central America for years already)
Old 2015-02-26, 10:11   Link #35929
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Crunch time for Rand Paul at U.S. conservative event
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LT2GK20150225

China submarines outnumber U.S. fleet: U.S. admiral
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LT2NE20150225

Hybrid war: The real reason fighting stopped in Ukraine – for now
http://blogs.reuters.com/great-debat...raine-for-now/
Old 2015-02-26, 12:25   Link #35930
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

If you could all the conventional powered coastal submarines, yeah. Most people don't because they can be spotted fairly easily by modern sonar, last I checked.
Old 2015-02-26, 12:49   Link #35931
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
If you could all the conventional powered coastal submarines, yeah. Most people don't because they can be spotted fairly easily by modern sonar, last I checked.
The problem is, do you have enough depth charges and torpedoes to blow them out of the water?

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2015-02-26, 14:38   Link #35932
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

With all the ASW designed to fight the Soviets? Yeah I think so.
Old 2015-02-26, 19:46   Link #35933
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
With all the ASW designed to fight the Soviets? Yeah I think so.
It is China bro. They will ZERG you to oblivion.

Old 2015-02-26, 23:05   Link #35934
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Can't zerg what you can't catch. Their 50 or so SSK are slow.
Old 2015-02-27, 00:50   Link #35935
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Can't zerg what you can't catch. Their 50 or so SSK are slow.
Think of the torpedoes they can launch!

Old 2015-02-27, 08:20   Link #35936
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Argentine judge says no evidence government tried to derail bombing probe
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LV02920150227

Russia's Khodorkovsky: Putin is a 'naked king' facing economic ruin
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LU29K20150226

Chinese diplomat tells West to consider Russia's security concerns over Ukraine
http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/...0LV0H120150227
Old 2015-02-27, 09:55   Link #35937
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Diesel-electric subs are quieter than nuclear ones fyi......

No one discounts conventional subs anymore these days...especially when the side with conventional boats does not need to maintain a constant blue-water presence.
Old 2015-02-27, 10:45   Link #35938
AmeNoJaku
Franco's Phalanx is next!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
I wouldn't call them "Europe-hating" but I am perfectly aware that they have a very large distaste for the European-centric vision of things which makes it a complete non-issue throughout most of their US History series. And I actually agree with them: its far too easy for us Europeans and those countries of European descent (like the US and Canada) to view things as if Europe is the centre and reason for everything. I like they way they try to focus on China and India in the early World History episodes for example.

I also mostly side with them when it comes to pointing out all the wrongdoings of European colonialism since those are actually truth: European powers were pretty much responsible for the entire current day middle east situation (for instance) and even largely responsible for plenty of failed states in Africa. Maybe that's me being as Europe-centric as they claim to not be but its hard to debate that up until mid 20th century (World War II) Europe was still influencing its then current and previous colonies to detrimental effects. Then the US and the USSR mostly picked up the mantle of screwing with other countries government for short term gain (and even there the US was very adept at doing it to South and Central America for years already)
I see. Their main problem is that while self-conscious about their biased presentation, they still continue to focus their arguments and reasoning against colonialism (which are 100% valid), but neglect to present anything else. I can understand that they never had the chance to present this perspective in a larger audience. But ignoring the validity of the arguments other sides have is not wise. Particularly in the medium they chose, which focuses on entertainment, rather than discussion.
Old 2015-02-27, 12:54   Link #35939
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Not sure if this counts as news...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/ar...t-83.html?_r=1

Leonard Nimoy has died.

Just a little short of the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.
Old 2015-02-27, 13:01   Link #35940
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Not sure if this counts as news...

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/02/27/ar...t-83.html?_r=1

Leonard Nimoy has died.

Just a little short of the 50th Anniversary of Star Trek.
i heard he was admitted to the hospital. At 83 he certainly did have a Long and prosperous life.

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international