AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2006-11-07, 08:00   Link #41
samurai_yotashi
Naruto & teentitans Lover

yeah, i dont think he is really getting any stronger than he previously was. poor guy.
samurai_yotashi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2006-11-07, 18:05   Link #42
Wolcik

Send a message via MSN to Wolcik
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rageaholic01 View Post
unless maybe because the seastone on smokers back got pushed against him when luffy hit him from behind...
if pressing this thing into his back could be a disadvantage to him, than he wouldn't wear it :P he's not as dumb as luffy XD
the real thing is that Luffy didn't get his strengh drained by it while touching it... but it was just a moment...

and even if it was a case to Smoker than why Ace didn't change into fire? that's weakness of their DF abilities, they can be supriesed
Old 2006-11-08, 00:01   Link #43
Rageaholic01
Kaizoku

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolcik View Post
if pressing this thing into his back could be a disadvantage to him, than he wouldn't wear it :P he's not as dumb as luffy XDthe real thing is that Luffy didn't get his strengh drained by it while touching it... but it was just a moment...

and even if it was a case to Smoker than why Ace didn't change into fire? that's weakness of their DF abilities, they can be supriesed
lol but that's not what i meant. I read somewhere that the jutte that smoker has on his back doesn't actually mae contact with him. It kindof hangs off, sounds supid but thats what i read.
Old 2008-10-02, 20:31   Link #44
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Umm, in case anyone is still wondering about this, most logia users have to manually activate their powers. It's like moving your arm, it's something you have to will to happen.

There are some exceptions though, apparently Crocodile has trained enough with his powers to the point where the ability is more like a natural reaction, even attacks from behind are avoided. Eneru has a kind of cheat here, seeing as he has his mantara to rely on.
BlackNhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-02, 22:53   Link #45
Earthling77

I agree that logia users have to control their powers at will and not automatically. Cause Smoker & Ace could be hit when they were unrealized the situation and suddenly being hit. I believe Crocodile & Enel had expected any attacks on them so they already prepared and turn their body into element as soon as they got hit.

Luffy's crew is indeed grow stronger, both in experience, power & techniques. Remember when Luffy said in CP9 arc something like this after his conflict against Ao Kiji "I have to grow stronger to protect my Nakama just in case I meet another strong opponents like Ao Kiji". Especially when he beat Rob Lucci had really shown Luffy's growing power. Also zorro in his pleasure time always worked out his body beside of taking a nap, and his new Ashura Technique.

However in OP, we almost never see the crews are training their new technique or power, they don't waste time just to show how serious they're trained themselves in order to be stronger. Not like Naruto or DBZ or any other typical animes.
Earthling77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 19:31   Link #46
holypanl
Well Rounded Critic

Yeah...duh!!

Luffy beat Lucci. 'Nuff said.

How much stronger does one need to prove himself to be? Luffy has achieved Gear 2 and 3. Plus he has Soru.

I mean...what more can you ask for? And now, he's gonna master Haki.

Perfect.

Luffy = Eviction Notice...total ownage!!!

Although it's weird: Luffy was like: "I created Gear 2 to own Aokiji." But I don't quite see how he can attck Aokiji with it, even less beat him...

First they went for communists: and I didn't speak out, not being a communist;
Then they came for trade unionists, and I said naught because I wasn't a trade unionist;
Then they came for the Jews: and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew;

Then they came for me!
...and there was no one left to speak out for me.
holypanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 20:57   Link #47
anime ronin
death by animeoverdos X_X

well of course with the gears luffy has gotten stronger. but overall luffy is really just a guy with c ontinuous dominant strength. it never really changes as far as power goes except when he uses his gears. notice when he fights bosses, power is really never the problem for him, its typically how he beats them. like he always has to do something different to beat his opponents rather than use more strength.

so in dbz talk, his power level is pretty much the same throughout the series...

PIRATES DOCKING 6!!! GIANT ROBOT SOLDIER!!! BIG EMPEROR!!!
anime ronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-04, 23:59   Link #48
cheese4u
da big boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by anime ronin View Post
well of course with the gears luffy has gotten stronger. but overall luffy is really just a guy with c ontinuous dominant strength. it never really changes as far as power goes except when he uses his gears. notice when he fights bosses, power is really never the problem for him, its typically how he beats them. like he always has to do something different to beat his opponents rather than use more strength.

so in dbz talk, his power level is pretty much the same throughout the series...
I doubt that completely. There's no way that the Luffy in the beginning of the show and the Luffy now are equals. Whether we're talking about physical strength, mentality, or fighting spirit, the current Luffy is stronger than the old Luffy by a country mile. There's no way you can go through all the crap Luffy's been through and not gain a physical increase of some kind. You can tell just by looking at his physique that he's a lot stronger than he used to be.

I mean right now we're just talking about Luffy, but the other guys have been through a lot less crap in turns of fights than Luffy has, and they've all gotten significantly physically stronger, and their opponents were all basically normal (and I use that term lightly) compared to Luffy's opponents.
Ya know, when a man works hard his entire life enduring hundreds of ladies, many of whom he does not even remember you'd like to think that at the end of the day he will be given a lot of money, without having had to earn it. -Leon Phelps
cheese4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 07:47   Link #49
Animizzle
Cool as a Cucumber

Unlikely. Just because his body temperature rises significantly, doesn't mean Aokijo is unable to freeze him. The man freezes oceanwater for pete's sake.

Granted, it's a shounen manga we are talking about, but it's not realistic to think that a human's body temperature could instantly melt Aokiji's permafrost-like attacks. It could help unfreezing a limb a little faster, but Akoji's ability useless.. No.

Makes me think by the way. You reckon Aokiji would die if he is melted? Or would those droplets freeze up and regenerate him.
Old 2008-10-05, 09:00   Link #50
Red Lupine
Bulzome High Priest

if anything, I'm counting on Sanji's Diablo Jambe to defeat Aokiji
Red Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-05, 12:30   Link #51
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Location: A land far, far away... or very, very close, depends on where you live
Since we're on Aokiji, I'd bet his weakness would have something to do with salt.
I know salt "melts" ice or something to that effect and it also composes half the devil fruit weakness. The only problem with that would be I find it a bit too mundane for Oda's tastes to use the same weakness twice like that.

Then again, maybe Luffy will never have the chance to defeat Aokiji. I'd love to see what would happen if he were to go up against Ace; considering he escapes it could potentially happen. Hell, with the recent surge of "team-orientation" Oda's taken such a liking too, maybe we'll have a little brother team up at some point.

Last edited by BlackNhite; 2008-10-06 at 09:36. Reason: Perfectionist Complex
Old 2008-10-06, 03:31   Link #52
Earthling77

Yeah I don't think Luffy will defeat Ao Kiji as well, he is considered as one of the most powerful marines have. If Luffy beats him, then the story goes end, who else can beat Luffy? The existence of those powerful & unbeatable enemies made us anxious of what will happen and made OP always interesting to wait for.
Earthling77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-10-06, 09:58   Link #53
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthling77 View Post
Yeah I don't think Luffy will defeat Ao Kiji as well, he is considered as one of the most powerful marines have. If Luffy beats him, then the story goes end, who else can beat Luffy? The existence of those powerful & unbeatable enemies made us anxious of what will happen and made OP always interesting to wait for.
With the revelation of the New World, there'll probably be no end of amazingly strong adversaries for the Strawhats.

Spoiler for "New World" Revelations:

Plus, we can't forget the return of old nemesis; Buggy, Smoker, and hopefully Kuro at some point will make returns probably rivaling the strength of the Strawhats themselves.

There is no shortage of admirable hostile forces mounted against the Strawhats. Aokiji's defeat would be an accomplishment, but not something that suddenly God-modes the heroes. Besides, just because he's defeated doesn't mean he won't make a comeback; both Buggy and Hachi have been shown to be doing just fine in the Grand Line even though they were defeated by a "lesser threat"(I think we all can agree that Luffy's strength at the beginning of the story was bare-minimum required to survive in the Grand Line)

Storywise though, I doubt they'll defeat Aokiji first. If they were to take down an admiral, it would be Akainu; he's got past issues with one of their crewmembers(Robin) and seems thus-far the most "Justice-oriented" individual and more likely to vigilantly pursue the Strawhats.
Old 2008-10-15, 21:38   Link #54
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

what kind of thread is this? of course luffy has gotten stronger.

He has been facing stronger apponents and consistently winning against them.

IMO this thread is silly: Where's the doubt?
Old 2008-10-16, 16:07   Link #55
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post
what kind of thread is this? of course luffy has gotten stronger.

He has been facing stronger apponents and consistently winning against them.

IMO this thread is silly: Where's the doubt?
I think there are people who just see Luffy as always having a set physical strengthm the only difference as he goes along is that he has to think up or sometimes just stumbles upon ideas to defeat more troublesome opponents.

And that idea does work up to a point; all the way up to Water 7 it never really seems like Luffy gets any stronger, he's just always got a new strategy(and in the case of Enel he simply had a really good type-macth up).

But it's your perspective, think what you wish...
Old 2008-10-16, 22:14   Link #56
Bari_Phillis
It's a.... BEAM!

what the hell, if you don;t think luffy has gotten stronger you've missed the whole goal of one piece.

Luffy wants to be the pirate king. He is constantly getting closer to his goal.
Spoiler for something said by L man:
Luffy must first overcome the shikabuchai, which has consistantly done and next measure up to the four great emporers or whatever, which he will have to do. and of course find one piece

in order to fuful his goal he must get stronger. He is doing just this. yay him. end of story.

another thing to support my argument.

-the luffy now could kick the past luffy's ass.
Old 2008-10-17, 21:20   Link #57
BlackNhite
Best of both worlds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bari_Phillis View Post

another thing to support my argument.

-the luffy now could kick the past luffy's ass.
Well no shit, "Luffy now" has Gears.
Old 2008-11-03, 21:01   Link #58
Rainbowman

While we're on the discussion on Luffy's strength, we might have to think about wether or not Luffy should learn some new moves.

i.e.: an attack called Gum Gum Gumball- curls into a ball and bounces to smash things or an enhanced version of Gum Gum Balloon- in which he takes some helium so he can float to high places.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-06, 19:32   Link #59
OtseisRagnarok
Manifesto
*Author

Send a message via AIM to OtseisRagnarok
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rainbowman View Post
While we're on the discussion on Luffy's strength, we might have to think about wether or not Luffy should learn some new moves.

i.e.: an attack called Gum Gum Gumball- curls into a ball and bounces to smash things or an enhanced version of Gum Gum Balloon- in which he takes some helium so he can float to high places.
Not quite new techniques, but variations on old ones? Interesting twist. Luffy hardly seems to improve much in terms of physical strength, only enough to keep up with his enemies. His real improvement comes in terms of creativity.
OtseisRagnarok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-11-12, 22:13   Link #60
Wargumm1i
Hentai

I wonder when Luffy will ever fall in love, I dont mean with the Sea, I mean a crush It would be nice but, since I think Luffy deserves it

I do think that we need a girl who is cute and falls in love with Luffy, just for fun
Wargumm1i is offline   Reply With Quote