AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-12-30, 21:55   Link #1841
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakkou View Post
As far as the anime's narrative is concerned, Tatara had just enough exposure befitting his role as a story catalyst, leaving the rest of him to the supplementary material instead of eating up other character's potential screentime, which is exactly what GoRA are guilty of doing with Misaki & Fushimi. The same applies to Anna. We know what makes her tick and that she's a Strain and her overall relevance isn't that high so that's good enough. If anyone want to know more they can go look outside of the anime. Now that you mentioned him, Kusanagi also counts. I may not like Pussy but I do think as a character she was given the necessary exposure to know her as a character, though that's admittedly because there wasn't much about her to flesh out in the first place. I would have disqualified her had they not gradually reduce her screentime as the Kings conflict become more prominent.
You know, I'd thought I'd be annoyed by Kitty since she's obviously blatant fodder material, but out of all the female characters, she's the only one I liked for the most part. I can't hate on Anna too much because she really didn't do anything but Lt. Boobs turned out to be useless...other than not wearing panties.

I am intrigued with her relationship with Kusanagi though. Hopefully season two has her at least kicking arse somewhat. She is Blue King's righthand woman...but yet Fushimi has done more.

Quote:
But yeah, I do hope the sequel becomes much more focused on the characters that need it and if they end up wanting to give HOMRA the spotlight again they better darn well give Scepter4 just as much focus in return. Tatara's been dead from the start, Mikoto's also dead and Anna may have even less things to do now so my interest in HOMRA lies mainly on Kusanagi and Seri's relationship.
I know I'll be slammed for saying this probaly, but that Tatara's backstory was the worst episode in the season Yeah, I know his death is what kicks things off and there needed to be a reason why everyone in HOMRA was mourning him, but I didn't exactly buy 'TOTSUKA WAS THE BESTEST BRO EVAH!!!'

Quote:
Alternatively, make the other two Kings the main character and focus on them with everyone else reduced to side characters. That works too.
Yeah, I want Green/Black story!

And whatever happened to Kitty and Doggy...Did I miss something where it was revealed that Kurou's a Strain and is really a dog???
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 22:18   Link #1842
LKK

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Kurou's a Strain and is really a dog???
Kurou is not a dog. His appearance as a dog at the end was another of Neko's illusions. Her signature bell rang as they ran across the screen to emphasize that her illusion power was active. (To be honest, if it wasn't for the bell ringing, I would have missed the animals running by because my eyes were elsewhere on the screen. When I heard the bell, I immediately started searching the screen for Neko and just barely caught sight of the animals before they ran off screen.)

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
LKK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 22:21   Link #1843
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Kurou is not a dog. His appearance as a dog at the end was another of Neko's illusions. Her signature bell rang as they ran across the screen to emphasize that her illusion power was active. (To be honest, if it wasn't for the bell ringing, I would have missed the animals running by because my eyes were elsewhere on the screen. When I heard the bell, I immediately started searching the screen for Neko and just barely caught sight of the animals before they ran off screen.)
I heard no bell ringing at all, certainly not her signature bell+meow sound. There was only the sound of Fushimi's sword moving and his emblem disappearing. Of course it could still ne Pussy using her powers but if she did why did they not just go invisible like they normally did? In fact Blacky being a Strain actually explains why he still has powers despite his master's death because setting wise only Kings, clansmen and Strains have supernatural powers.
Kakkou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 22:23   Link #1844
kuromitsu

Quote:
That's what I got out of it too, that Mikoto banked on Reisi stopping him before things ever got to that point. Perhaps he even mobilised HOMRA just to make sure that Secpter4 and in turn Reisi would have to involve themselves no matter what but of course, in the end we wouldn't really know because they never got the exposure they needed (That pointless Misaki/Fushimi flashback? Sure would've been a chance to make it a Mikoto/Reisi one!).
It should've been a Mikoto & Reishi flashback, given that half of the episode was basically about them.... ಠ_ಠ Seriously, GoRA. -_-) Wasting that opportunity for the sake of completely out of place fanservice...

Quote:
We only had three Scepter4 members introduced and the rest were treated as 'everyone else'.
And even one of those three was originally a Homra member. Who's apparently still homesick for Homra and just doesn't have the spine and the balls to go back. -_-)

Quote:
I mean I understand that HOMRA are more important since they're directly involved in the main conflict at hand but the cast imbalance still irks me.
But then, isn't Reishi directly involved in the main conflict as well? Ah well...

Quote:
Did I miss something where it was revealed that Kurou's a Strain and is really a dog???
He's most probably not a dog? But he's probably a Strain. Remember, his master's power was predicting the future. Kurou's powers are completely different. (Same with Anna: Mikoto had fire powers, but Anna has psychic type abilities, which means she didn't get her power from Mikoto.)
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-30, 22:36   Link #1845
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKK View Post
Thought so. Thought I missed something for a minute
Old 2012-12-30, 22:43   Link #1846
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
You know, I'd thought I'd be annoyed by Kitty since she's obviously blatant fodder material, but out of all the female characters, she's the only one I liked for the most part. I can't hate on Anna too much because she really didn't do anything but Lt. Boobs turned out to be useless...other than not wearing panties.

I am intrigued with her relationship with Kusanagi though. Hopefully season two has her at least kicking arse somewhat. She is Blue King's righthand woman...but yet Fushimi has done more.
I blame the writers for failing at handling her well really.

Quote:
I know I'll be slammed for saying this probaly, but that Tatara's backstory was the worst episode in the season Yeah, I know his death is what kicks things off and there needed to be a reason why everyone in HOMRA was mourning him, but I didn't exactly buy 'TOTSUKA WAS THE BESTEST BRO EVAH!!!'
Eh, in my case I'm just more naturally inclined towards his character type, and being a huge fanboy of his VA helped too.
Old 2012-12-31, 00:55   Link #1847
GundamZZ
残念美人

They say Tatara is the weakest member, but his existence is very dear to his gang fellows. If Tatara is not in the gang, Mikoto already dropped his sword from overused king authority. The dropped sword on the ground will cause another disaster.

By the way, silver king and gold king are freaking tall.
Images
210cm
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
天啓のシスティーナ Sistina of Apocalypse
愛憎のロクサーヌ Roxanne of distinguished love and hate
万有のルテーシア Lutécia of everything
塵喰いのカサンドラ Cassandra of eating dust
GundamZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 04:22   Link #1848
felix
sleepyhead
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
I don't think this was ever confirmed anywhere? Later on Yata does actually use his power on Kurou, and then has full-out fights with Fushimi, and nothing suggests that he's particularly weak. And there were scenes of people using their powers during the gang fight, on both sides... it's just the crowd scenes that were ridiculously unimaginative.
Blondie tells them how Kurou is out of their league.
Old 2012-12-31, 04:36   Link #1849
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Quote:
Character wise, it was as expected of a cast conceived by 7 different authors: A huge mess. Clearly they were compromising with each other. Some wanted bishies, some wanted T&A, some wanted catgirls, some wanted lolitas, etc. Someone must've also wanted a fucking pegasus but thankfully that got used in the Memory of Red manga to hilarious effect. The result was a huge cast that was generally poorly utilised, poorly fleshed out and unevenly focused on. Ryohgo Narita, GoRA is not and trying to balance this act of appealing to everyone in 13 episodes was a risk that did not really work out.
I don't think they ever intended to flesh things out in the anime.
From what I have gathered, GoRA seems to be taking the multi-medianess of this project for granted, so they just spread out the characterization all over the place.
Since they have other materials to work on, they never bothered to properly present anything in a single work.
They are even using this to their advantage, since not a single material properly explains anything, the audience has to buy all the materials. And it is somewhat working, consider how well the other merchandise are selling.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 04:46   Link #1850
shmaster
オンドリャァァァ!!!

Another note on clansman powers.

The power a clansman receive from the king not necessarily will be something that resembles the king's power.
For example, due to how Gold King's power works, none of his known clansman had powers remotely similar to him.

Also, clansman losing power after the king's death is not something guaranteed. When the previous Blue King died, the Scepter 4 was still running with their super natural power for 10 years long before Munakata became the new king.
In ep.13, we didn't see Anna losing her emblem too. Her emblem is inside her eye, and re-watching the episode a few time, I am pretty sure I didn't see any red light rising out of her eye.
shmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 05:05   Link #1851
Gundamx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayumi View Post
homura got all the pandering because of tatara's character, who turned out to be lying about mikoto's character, imo. mikoto did nothing worthy to say he was protecting people when he pretty much put his clan members and school students in danger when he wanted revenge. i guess this is why mikoto says to izumo that he was more right than tatara. perhaps tatara was just a guy who could stop mikoto's impulses to hurt people reminding him his power is to protect. But that just means mikoto probably was always a hot head but because he was king he could never go out of control lest he hurt people.

then we are supposed to believe he is some sort of hero cause he died but we have to accept him as a great king because he got revenge at the expense of silver king and blue king. i understand they want to say red abd blue king had a bond and that mikoto knew reisi could stop him but it was really cruel to reisi.

i would love to see scepter4 and especially reisi's character explored but it looks like reisi was just a guy they love to hurt
Mikoto was not the only one who want revenge... all of HOMRA clan want revenge...
(They think of their clan as family members... That why they was out for Shiro blood in eps 1.)

Read the mange if you want to know more about them
Spoiler for Manga:
Gundamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 05:20   Link #1852
Kakkou
Tch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shmaster View Post
From what I have gathered, GoRA seems to be taking the multi-medianess of this project for granted, so they just spread out the characterization all over the place.
Since they have other materials to work on, they never bothered to properly present anything in a single work.
They are even using this to their advantage, since not a single material properly explains anything, the audience has to buy all the materials. And it is somewhat working, consider how well the other merchandise are selling.
I am aware that's what GoRA is doing and in fact, I actually like mixed media projects. The problem is that as I have mentioned in later posts, they failed to present the necessary characterisation to the character that were relevant to the anime's main conflict at hand. They did it right with characters like Tatara, Anna and Bla- oh screw it, I'll call him by his proper name, Kuroh.

Anime viewers don't need to be given any more info about them as they already have considering the episode count. We don't need to know Anna's full backstory, more of Tatara's big brother act or how Kuroh got Kotowari. Putting all that in the other medias is a wise choice and like you said, gives them a chance to tell more of the settting they came up with and make fans buy more merch.

What the anime needed was more on characters like Mikoto, Reisi and Weismann. Not necessarily the whole story but definitely more than what was presented. GoRA could do that and still keep some extra juicy bits for the novels, etc. Instead what happened was things like Misaki & Fushimi's little spat being given more attention than needed, and would have been much better off being presented in the supplementary materials.

Last edited by Kakkou; 2012-12-31 at 11:24.
Old 2012-12-31, 06:16   Link #1853
kuromitsu

Quote:
I am aware that's what GoRA is doing and in fact, I actually like mixed media projects. The problem is that as I have mentioned in later posts, they failed to present the necessary characterisation to the character that were relevant to the anime's main conflict at hand. They did it right with characters like Tatara, Anna and Bla- oh screw it, I'll call him by his proper name, Kuroh.

Anime viewers don't need to be given any more info about them as they already have considering the episode count. We don't need to know Anna's full backstory, Tatara's big brother act or how Kuroh got Kotowari. Putting all that in the other medias is a wise choice and like you said, gives them a chance to tell more of the settting they came up with and make fans buy more merch.

What the anime needed was more on characters like Mikoto, Reisi and Weismann. Not necessarily the whole story but definitely more than what was presented. GoRA could do that and still keep some extra juicy bits for the novels, etc. Instead what happened was things like Misaki & Fushimi's little spat being given more attention than needed, and would have been much better off being presented in the supplementary materials.
Exactly. The anime had enough information for its story to work and to make the characters enjoyable, but they really should've given more focus to characters who weren't near irrelevant to the plot at hand.

As someone who hasn't read the side materials and probably won't, due to lack of 1) time, 2) interest in Homra and 3) a cheap way to buy/import the Blue novel (I'm not paying 1400 yen + shipping to Europe for 214 pages), the info I got from the anime was enough to make it work, but it would've been nice to have more information in the anime on certain key players, and it's a bit irritating that we could've had more if not for the imbalance in focus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GundamZZ View Post
By the way, silver king and gold king are freaking tall.
Images
210cm
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Whoa.

Last edited by kuromitsu; 2012-12-31 at 06:29.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 08:16   Link #1854
hai_san

Story began strong but as whole the serie was solala, the ending was a downer.
hai_san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-12-31, 12:46   Link #1855
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

I found a translation of Kuroh's story finally!

Spoiler:
Old 2012-12-31, 20:03   Link #1856
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

Quote:
Another note on clansman powers.

The power a clansman receive from the king not necessarily will be something that resembles the king's power.
For example, due to how Gold King's power works, none of his known clansman had powers remotely similar to him.

Also, clansman losing power after the king's death is not something guaranteed. When the previous Blue King died, the Scepter 4 was still running with their super natural power for 10 years long before Munakata became the new king.
In ep.13, we didn't see Anna losing her emblem too. Her emblem is inside her eye, and re-watching the episode a few time, I am pretty sure I didn't see any red light rising out of her eye.
Her eyes changed colors as did the scenery.
Old 2013-01-01, 03:13   Link #1857
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
BTW....Haven't read Side Red yet due to Rokka and Ourai but....is Mikoto insane? That's a damn sad end to him...always seemed like he was trying to hold his clan together but barely succeeding because he was on the verge of burning up from the inside, many say he's a dick but I'm not even sure if he can control himself anymore by the end
Old 2013-01-02, 13:21   Link #1858
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Well that was a nice finale for a good show. I kinda sucks that the last few episodes were lacking in the production department. I guess they spent too much money on the first episode.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-02, 15:35   Link #1859
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

Considering that this is officially getting a second season, maybe we should start a subforum?

We can also talk about the mangas too:

Manga note: I caught up on Memories of Red and dafuq....
Spoiler:
Old 2013-01-03, 22:08   Link #1860
Ray
Garnet

Well, I feel pretty stupid that I forgot that this show had 13 episodes, not 12. I heard about the second season, so I decided to marathon the rest of this.

It turned out to be enjoyable enough and better than I thought it'd be based on the first few episodes. The ending and mystery turned out to be pretty interesting.

So, reading the past few pages, is Kuroh a strain like Neko or not? I assumed it was Neko's illusion that allowed them to run past the Blues. By the by, what exactly is a strain? I don't remember it being explained in the anime, but that could very well just be me..
Ray is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
action, bishonen, fantasy, gang, supernatural