3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.72%
Voters: 138. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2013-05-19, 12:57   Link #221
Claym0re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
Just point this out, Connie did back in Ep 6 but Armin wasn't in the mood to answer him. It's most likely the same case with others, until Mikasa spoke to him.
Well the brunette figured it out in like 10 seconds and Connie insisted on the answer until it became clear to him they all were dead.

I agree they could have just arrived at the moment and didnt know anything but still....was sorta odd.
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:01   Link #222
Newhope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenrir_valindri View Post
As Predicted, people are trying to make light of Mikasa's suicide charge, despite it being even worse then what Eren did in much poorer circumstances.

I have already made a post pointing out the differences much earlier in the thread, but some people don't seem to realize (or want to acknowledge) that Mikasa's actions were no different from Eren's, a very intentional parallel.

Eren's group was just in a far worse scenario then Mikasa's (much larger and more competent) group. They had been surrounded by a large group of titans, far larger then anything even Mikasa has faced all at once so far. The only person who reacted properly to the situation was Eren, everyone else froze completely and ended up lagging behind their leader.

People who claim Eren charges recklessly ahead don't realize he was doing the correct thing in attacking a Titan with its back turned, it just so happened the front-line had completely collapsed already (knowledge none of them had), and several Titan's had gotten close to them due to the cover of the buildings, so they got ambushed and destroyed. Being "careful" in this situation would have done exactly nothing, they had already been surrounded.

Note that Mikasa is constantly charging ahead of the entire group she just rallied, by a significant margin considering how long it took for Arwin to even catch up with her. She was even more reckless then Eren in that she didn't even have a target in mind, she just blitzed ahead and killed anything that entered her sight.

If the situations were reversed, I'm quite positive Mikasa would be dead, and Eren would have rallied the entire demoralized lot of them. Circumstances favored Mikasa (like the fan base), and that is the only reason she is even alive.
Because it wasn't a suicide charge, they where in a hell of alot worse situation than Erens group was they have limited gas left once thats gone they're dead simple as that, she was perfectly right in that they had 2 choices stay and die or fight to live.

Eren unlike Mikasa's group had the choice to retreat which in that situation would have been the right thing to do, but instead he lost his cool rushed in to trying to save somebody that was more than likely already dead and it lead to getting most of his group killed.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:12   Link #223
BoyTitan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
Because it wasn't a suicide charge, they where in a hell of alot worse situation than Erens group was they have limited gas left once thats gone they're dead simple as that, she was perfectly right in that they had 2 choices stay and die or fight to live.

Eren unlike Mikasa's group had the choice to retreat which in that situation would have been the right thing to do, but instead he lost his cool rushed in to trying to save somebody that was more than likely already dead and it lead to getting most of his group killed.
Retreat you can't retreat from titans especially 2 deviants they move faster than humans.

No dude erens goup were in a much worse situation. The group mikasa was in charge of just needed to figure a way to kill a few normal 7m class and 4-5m class titans no deviants no 15m class and get to the resupply station. They had the fuel to fight just not enough to scale up the 50m wall. It was more of a ok how do I get inside this building anyone got any ideas sort of situation. Plus they would all be food anyways eventually getting over whelmed if not for the giant titan so ya mikasa did almost kill all of them. Yes it was a suicide rush. leading them would have been her not useing a ton of fuel and setting a clear path towards the building. Or going slow then useing most of you fuel to speed up and get threw the windows of the building and avoid the titans.

Fenrir as I said the hate is most likely due to Erens mannerisms most anime fans don't like people who are loud,boastful,angry and brash everything bad that happens to him or around will stand out due to his attitude be labelled as his fault. Were on the other Mikasa is silent,reserved keeps to herself.
Old 2013-05-19, 13:16   Link #224
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

You can retreat, even from abnormals. Most of the time.

But if you keep retreating, what are you a soldier for? Are you going to push civilians between you and the titans when you run out of room to retreat, too?

Eren's aggressive. That's one of his best traits, compared to people who prefer to huddle in fear until a titan eats them. But sometimes it gets people killed. Too bad.
Anh_Minh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:19   Link #225
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Their situation wasn't worse, last I checked, being low on fuel is entirely different then being ambushed by half a dozen titans when you have just as many people.

Retreating wasn't the right solution, it isn't even an option considering they would have all gotten executed if they ran, since their job was to slow down the advancing Titans.
Not to mention they were surrounded, and retreating would have resulted in them dying anyway.

No, dying was basically the only option open to them, the front-line fell too quickly, and their group got screwed as a result.

He wasn't trying to "save" the person who got eaten, he was trying to kill the Deviant Class titan that ate him.
Old 2013-05-19, 13:19   Link #226
Destined_Fate

Eren is very hot headed and he paid for it... But I do give him props for tackling adversary head on even when the odds are against him. He also is the reason Mikasa is such a bad ass and even when Mikasa wanted to just sit there and die it was Eren's words that forced her body to move.

Eren deserves credit where credit is due, I say.

Though I like Mikasa more than him. Especially after her badassery in this episode and how quickly she got over her BSOD.

I wonder what Jean will do. They need fuel but there are so many Titans around and he's having trouble getting people to listen to him while the rest are looking to him for Leadership.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:29   Link #227
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by blakstealth View Post
this episode, oh my lord. Titan-on-Titan violence is FUCKIN CRAZY HOLY MOTHER OF GAWWDDD. You can really feel the amount of power being exerted in each blow that Titan is dealing out.
Hell yeah.

You are 50 feet tall, uber-built muscle bound, and you know CQC.
The only possible outcome is that you're a walking WOMD badass.

Last edited by aohige; 2013-05-19 at 13:32. Reason: poor relentlessflame, can't get a break until this anime is over.
aohige is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:29   Link #228
Claym0re

To be fair Eren was impulsive but not reckless.

He was approaching a lone titan super fast on a totally open street. If you re-watch the scene he had no way to see the ambush-titan on the cross street. (actually I don't even know how _that_ titan knew Eren was coming).

It wasn't any way inferior compared to what Mikasa did in episode 6.
Claym0re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:30   Link #229
Newhope

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoyTitan View Post
Retreat you can't retreat from titans especially 2 deviants they move faster than humans.

No dude erens goup were in a much worse situation. The group mikasa was in charge of just needed to figure a way to kill a few normal 7m class and 4-5m class titans no deviants no 15m class and get to the resupply station. They had the fuel to fight just not enough to scale up the 50m wall. It was more of a ok how do I get inside this building anyone got any ideas sort of situation. Plus they would all be food anyways eventually getting over whelmed if not for the giant titan so ya mikasa did almost kill all of them. Yes it was a suicide rush. leading them would have been her not useing a ton of fuel and setting a clear path towards the building. Or going slow then useing most of you fuel to speed up and get threw the windows of the building and avoid the titans.

Fenrir as I said the hate is most likely due to Erens mannerisms most anime fans don't like people who are loud,boastful,angry and brash everything bad that happens to him or around will stand out due to his attitude be labelled as his fault. Were on the other Mikasa is silent,reserved keeps to herself.
Of course you can run from them it's not like they can run straight though buildings, adding onto the fact the deviants wouldn't have even know they where there if Eren hadn't charged in, if he had any sense which he doesn't he should have known 4 people stand no chance against a group of titans and retreated and regrouped with the rest of the forces.

And no Mikasa's group is in a far worse situation, large group of people with limited gas with only short time until the group attracts titans, so how do you fight Titans without gas oh thats right you don't you die. Without gas they're dead so as I said before that left Mikasa group with only 1 real option.
Newhope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:40   Link #230
Destined_Fate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claym0re View Post
To be fair Eren was impulsive but not reckless.

He was approaching a lone titan super fast on a totally open street. If you re-watch the scene he had no way to see the ambush-titan on the cross street. (actually I don't even know how _that_ titan knew Eren was coming).

It wasn't any way inferior compared to what Mikasa did in episode 6.
The difference is that Mikasa is much faster than Eren so even if they tried to ambush her they couldn't catch her. Armin also comments that she's usually very leveled headed and aware of her surroundings compared to her berserking it in this episode like Eren does.
Old 2013-05-19, 13:42   Link #231
chaos_alfa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
So I was right about her BSOD and her desire to die if anything bad, like death, happened to Eren. Even though she wanted to die her body acted on its own which confused her. Than she remembers Eren's words.

So once again even in death Eren gives her life meaning!

And yay, other Titan saved Mikasa just as she was about to take out a Titan with a broken rusty butter knife! What a twist!

Man, that Titan is so fit and well toned compared to the others! I wonder if it lifts!

Feel bad for Armin though as she apparently doesn't seem in as family like Eren since she was prepared to die because no more Eren.
I think she would have probably been killed if it wasn't for the the renegade titan showing up.

Without the ability to reach the neck of a titan and enough moment/strength to cut open the back of their necks you won't be able to kill a titan.

Last edited by chaos_alfa; 2013-05-19 at 16:20.
chaos_alfa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:43   Link #232
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newhope View Post
Of course you can run from them it's not like they can run straight though buildings, adding onto the fact the deviants wouldn't have even know they where there if Eren hadn't charged in, if he had any sense which he doesn't he should have known 4 people stand no chance against a group of titans and retreated and regrouped with the rest of the forces.

And no Mikasa's group is in a far worse situation, large group of people with limited gas with only short time until the group attracts titans, so how do you fight Titans without gas oh thats right you don't you die. Without gas they're dead so as I said before that left Mikasa group with only 1 real option.

Now you are just being incredibly biased, and obviously won't see reason on this issue. Your focus on Eren's flaws and denial of Mikasa's means we won't get anywhere in this discussion.

1) You are assuming Eren was somehow magically aware of an entire group of Titans moving under the cover of buildings that had already surrounded them. They weren't aware of any of them aside from the Deviant Titan that had leaped at them from a significant distance away. The rest were concealed by the buildings. I don't see how Eren's "sense" has anything to do with this. They were ambushed, plain and simple. NONE of them were aware of how bad the situation was until all those Titan's moved out of concealment, in which case everyone but Arwin was already out of the fight.

2) Mikasa's group wasn't immediately surrounded and outnumbered by a group of Titan's, the fact she could stand there, ask questions and give her epic speech is enough evidence of that.

They were in WAY less immediate danger and are aware of their situation. Those point alone already gave her group a significant advantage. Then we count in she has far more people in a group, including several other top members of her class, and 4 people still already died.
Old 2013-05-19, 13:43   Link #233
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Though I like Mikasa more than him. Especially after her badassery in this episode and how quickly she got over her BSOD.
she didn't experience BSOD, it's anger and probably despair that clouded her judgement and eat her away slowly

kudos for Eren and his influence for helping her before she fell further into desperation

BSOD is more fitted for Armin in the past few episodes, especially when his team was surrounded by titan and/or Eren's death
Old 2013-05-19, 13:51   Link #234
takai
Easy Muffin

The design for this "new Titan" is a lot better than I thought it'd be.

I refuse to believe that every single person is just crying in the fetal position in fear. There are some people, like Mikasa and that blonde girl, who are virtually afraid of nothing. So to me, portraying everyone as terrified is unrealistic. Sure, a lot of people would be very scared of these giant monsters, but in reality there are people who don't give a sh*t. And they need to show more people like that if they want to pull off something realistic.

Other than that it was a decent episode. It's starting to lean on the repetitive side from constantly showing everyone scared. We get it, now let's move on.

Was the 5 minute recap of what happened really necessary? I think that wasted time, if anything.

This is actually the first time I'm sort of anxious to see the next episode. Because I sort of know what happens, and I want to see characters reactions, especially Mikasa's.
takai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 13:58   Link #235
apotheosis
Shinigami

Mikasa is usually more cool headed. She lost it this once, right after hearing Eren died.

Eren was hot headed without any (sudden) outside pressure like that. Sure, he is carrying a lot of long term baggage, but so is Mikasa.

That said, the reason I can't stand Eren is because his whining/ranting gives me a headache. It's not like an angry adolescent male is new to shounen, there's just something about Eren that magnifies it x10 for me. I can't think of any other shounen anime where I've had the same reaction.
apotheosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 14:02   Link #236
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Now we see the purpose of the 3-4m class Titans. These are the guys that can get deep inside buildings. There really is no hiding from them. No wonder that one guy "opted out" via gun to the mouth. I'm not quite sure what is worse, being swallowed whole by a larger Titan, or being chomped in half by one of the smaller ones since you wouldn't completely fit inside their mouths.

I think it was pretty interesting that the second Titan the new Renegade Titan faced seemed to instantly recognize Renegade Titan as a threat and charged. I feel this displays some modicum of intelligence.

Endless "If you want to motivate people, call them cowards" Soul
Old 2013-05-19, 14:02   Link #237
Destined_Fate

It was a BSOD of death as she was acting irrationally and even was willing to let herself die as she no longer wanted to live without Eren in her life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaos_alfa View Post
I think she would have probably been killed if it wasn't for the the renegade titan showing up.

Without the ability to reach the neck of a titan and enough moment/strength to cut open their necks you won't be able to kill a titan.
Most likely but I have a very wild imagination of Mikasa killing that Titan with a her broken blade.
Old 2013-05-19, 14:05   Link #238
ookamigirl

Fear, anger, sadness and hopelessness.
Those were the emotions that took over the soldiers.
Mikasa was the only one with a cool head.
Those Titans seem like animals despite their human look.
Titan killing Titans was a interesting change of plot.
Wonder what story is hiding behind the Titans and their actions.

My Blog --> ookami
ookamigirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-19, 14:05   Link #239
Fenrir_valindri
Miria's #1 Disciple

Quote:
Originally Posted by takai View Post
The design for this "new Titan" is a lot better than I thought it'd be.

I refuse to believe that every single person is just crying in the fetal position in fear. There are some people, like Mikasa and that blonde girl, who are virtually afraid of nothing. So to me, portraying everyone as terrified is unrealistic. Sure, a lot of people would be very scared of these giant monsters, but in reality there are people who don't give a sh*t. And they need to show more people like that if they want to pull off something realistic.

Other than that it was a decent episode. It's starting to lean on the repetitive side from constantly showing everyone scared. We get it, now let's move on.
Most of the people who are virtually afraid are nothing are probably already dead, or are in the Recon Squad, who are not in the present battle.

The rest are Trainees, or the Garrision, who usually want nothing to do with the battle against the Titans.
Old 2013-05-19, 14:08   Link #240
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

nah last time my computer was having BSOD, it couldn't run any program (during BSOD)

but well, it just means (as usual) you have your own definition of BSOD, not that you can't have different definition tho'

but my definition of BSOD is leaning towards Armin (in the early episode 6), and eventhough Mikasa almost gave her life up in this episode, her brain and brawn didn't just freeze and do nothing