Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-06, 05:21   Link #1
Shiuch

Question about Rurouni Kenshin

Sorry to make a new thread about this.

But which is the first Rurouni I should start watching? There are so many of them.. And to what point I should watch them? Are there many filler episodes etc. ?
Old 2007-03-06, 06:03   Link #2
jedinat

If you want to watch it chronologically, then you should watch Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen first and then the TV series. Though I guess there are some advantages to watching the TV series first. Tsuiokuhen will have some spoilers about Kenshin's past, but then if you watch Tsuiokuhen first you'll get to see how Kenshin has changed and have more an understanding of his past. It's up to you. I've never watched the second OVA which takes place after the TV series because I've heard really horrible things about it.

Because the television series came out before the manga was finished, everything after episode 62 is filler.
Old 2007-03-06, 06:35   Link #3
Shiuch

Thank you. I'll do as you suggest. And probably don't watch furter than 62 ep.
Old 2007-03-06, 06:59   Link #4
jedinat

I didn't really mean to suggest either way. Personally, I watched the TV series first, fillers and all, then saw Tsuiokuhen, and sometime later read the manga. I enjoyed that viewing order well enough.

If you've seen Trigun, I think watching Tsuiokuhen first would be like watching the flashback episodes at the beginning of Trigun, rather than towards the end. The character will likely lose some of his mysteriousness. That's the trade off; there are still the advantages I mentioned earlier.
Old 2007-03-06, 09:39   Link #5
Frans

The second ova (reflection?) is kinda recap of the whole Kenshin saga, starting when Kenshin met Kaoru till the end.. It follows the manga closely and it even goes further! and it contain, afaik, non of the filler stories. It's a must watch for Kenshin fans. There are some changes, but I think the changes are quite good. And unlike the manga/tv, reflection is serious. You should see this after you watch the tv series/manga.
Relfection is about a series of events surrounding Kenshin, told trough Kaoru point of view.
There is a Kenshin movie, Requiem something... It's a good watch, just don't expect great things. The story lies in the middle of the Kenshin story.
Old 2007-03-06, 09:54   Link #6
GriS

TV series should be watched first - 1st and 2nd arc (up to episode 62) in order to appreciate more of prequel ova, imo. Don't bother 3rd arc (63 to 94), they are all nonsense fillers >.< especially feng shui part.

Then next sequel ova... dun noe about movie as I didn't watch it. but I heard it is a side story so basically same as those epi 63 to 94
Old 2007-03-06, 13:01   Link #7
wingdarkness
Retweet Member

Yeah unfortunatley Kenshin-TV is one of the rare series to get cancelled because fans hated the filler story (me included)...I can only imagine how good the story would have become had it been orginal story following the incredible Shi-Shi-o arc...I actually watched Samurai X first before I even knew about the series which serves as a weird precursor given how blood-thirsty Kenshin was...However I don't think watching the TV series first would be a regrettable thing...
Old 2007-03-06, 16:42   Link #8
jedinat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans View Post
The second ova (reflection?) is kinda recap of the whole Kenshin saga, starting when Kenshin met Kaoru till the end.. It follows the manga closely and it even goes further! and it contain, afaik, non of the filler stories. It's a must watch for Kenshin fans. There are some changes, but I think the changes are quite good.
I've heard it sort of undermines the whole theme of the story. Rurouni Kenshin is about Kenshin's struggle for redemption, not inevitable punishment. (not to mention it completely changes the ending found in the manga)
But then I can't say much having decided to pretend it doesn't exist.
Old 2007-03-06, 20:26   Link #9
Scorch

I personally watched the first 2 seasons before watching the first OVA (Tsuiokuhen). I find that can't be motivated to watch the series again, it just can't hold a candle to Tsuiokuhen. I'm not sure which order I'd advise, but if you watch Tsuiokuhen first, you'll probably end up disappointed by the series.
Old 2007-03-07, 08:05   Link #10
Frans

The ending really don't change a lot. It just goes further... maybe almost 10 years further. But indeed the tone of the series were changed. I think it's still about redemption, but other may say it's a punishment. If I'm not mistaken, it ended with a smile.
Closed Thread