AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2018-04-01, 16:11   Link #1
Tanuki.
Just another tanuki.

Travelling / Journey as a Thema in Anime and Manga

Hi, I've recently discussed this with a friend, but there are surprisingly few stories in anime and manga that focus on travelling / journey, even though there are enough (American/European) films and novels to make up entire genres.

I'm specifically looking for works with real-world locations as opposed to fantasy worlds, although I might consider fantasy works that put heavy emphasis on the travelling / journey aspect (e.g. Tales from Earthsea).

The work that probably comes closest to my vision is 3000 Leagues in Search of My Mother. I haven't seen this yet, but the premise is very close to what I'm looking for. Road trip-like works like Galilei Donna, The Rolling Girls, or Girls' Last Tour are also okay, and so are stories that are rather local, but explore one or several places in great detail.

Any recommendations are welcome, preferably with a short descriptions how the travelling / journey aspect is incorporated in the work.
Tanuki. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-01, 16:27   Link #2
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Well a recent anime just finished called A Place Further Than The Universe where a bunch of highschool girls travel to the Antarctica and visit places like Singapore on the way. I didn't think it was particularly great but a lot of people on this forum loved it. I think it's perfect for what you're looking for.
Haak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2018-04-03, 03:09   Link #3
AnimeFangirl

Kino no Tabi.
Old 2018-04-11, 15:28   Link #4
kitten320

Both are fantasy but Arslan Senki and Akatsuki no Yona are all about travel. Arslan even travels to different nations.

FMA Brotherhood, travels, adventures, different nations. It is action fantasy

Kimi no Na wa - it is a made up location but MC does go to search for it, train travel and everything.

Uchuu Kyoudai - MC wants to be an astronaut so he goes through all kinds of training in different locations and has a brother who is already and astronaut. Very down to earth, would recommend. Occasional different countries.
Old 2018-05-08, 02:26   Link #5
0cean
Transfer Adventurer

The Descending Moon at the Foot of the Mountain (Manhwa)
It's about a young man traveling together with the spirit of a stratum (which happens to be a little girl) to visit various mountains and search for fossils. It's set in the present and all the locations are probably real, though, I've never been to any of them before, so who knows.

Master Keaton (Anime)
It's about a middle aged man with lots of outdoor experience traveling around the world (mostly Europe). There are adventure to be had, but it's mostly a calming story.

Gallery Fake (Anime)
Here, it's an art dealer that travels around the globe.

Tetsuko no Tabi (Anime)
It's based on a true story and about a group traveling to every train station in Japan.

Ookami to Koushinryou (Anime, Fantasy)
About a merchant traveling together with a girl (who happens to be a wolf) to her hometown in the far north. Based around Europe.

Scrapped Princess (Anime, Fantasy)
About a group of your average RPG-Party traveling through the world and also having an adventure. There are many of these types of anime, but I'm guessing that's not exactly what you want, so I'll leave it at this one.
Old 2018-05-09, 14:18   Link #6
BWTraveller
Born to ship

If we're just talking about visiting places, going and coming back, then there are a few Slice of Life series out there, such as Encouragement of Climb in which a group of girls travel to a variety of mountain hiking/soft climbing spots, or Laid-back Camp where girls go camping in various places.

Also, if you're fine with series aimed at a younger audience you could try The Snow Queen. Like the fairy tale it's based on, it centers on a little girl named Gerda travelling through the country and having various adventures as she searches for her friend Kay.

Of course, though I know it's not what you want, upon reading the request I couldn't help but think of one ten-year-old boy who's been travelling for twenty years now, not aging a day, visiting all sorts of places and experiencing their somewhat unique cultures while trying to be "the very best"...
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote