AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-01-17, 18:15   Link #1
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Area 88

Y'all might like this one, it overcame two strikes at the outset: angsty pilot main character, and his airplane is an f-8 Crusader (a fighter that's uglier than a sack of assholes). The action was pretty good, and the characters weren't annoying.

It even made me look up how well the Crusader actually performed in combat... turns out it had the best kill ratio in Vietnam, though that's tempered by the facts that the North Vietnamese didn't have many fighters and the F-4 had far more sorties. How's that for edutainment? ^_^

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 18:26   Link #2
Hunter
Bubbly and super fun

I didn't watch the anime yet but the manga was very good, the story isn't a very happy one but this is what makes it interesting.
Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 19:02   Link #3
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Does anyone know where the TV series fits in with the old OVAs, there were 3 old OVAs right? Is this a sequel, or a remake? I'm lost, haven't seen the old ones.
7hor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 19:17   Link #4
b4k4

Send a message via AIM to b4k4
I was actually quite impressed by what I saw. Looks to be promising. Too bad it's so short (three episodes according to AnimeNfo). I love the opening theme.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kempis Curious
...uglier than a sack of assholes...
Now then, thats an interesting expression...
b4k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 20:08   Link #5
Antonik

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4k4
I was actually quite impressed by what I saw. Looks to be promising. Too bad it's so short (three episodes according to AnimeNfo). I love the opening theme.

Now then, thats an interesting expression...
Thats the OVA
Antonik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-17, 20:29   Link #6
tsurumaru
I refuse to die dammit!

This is a bit weird as I dug out my SNES (Super Famicon) the other week just to see if I complete the Area 88 game (Known as UN Squadron in the west). I haven't seen either the three OVA's or read the manga series however I hope they upgrade the aircraft in the series a la the game to YF23's etc. The series certainly started out well enough!
tsurumaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 01:09   Link #7
Kempis Curious
:love::love::love:

Location: Loving a peaceful life in San Clemente, California.
Wow, I didn't know that there was a previous anime and manga... plus the pretty good video game UN Squadron being based on this. Heaven's sake's what you learn on this board...

-k
Kempis Curious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 01:30   Link #8
Shenlong

The original OVAs were quite good, I rewatched them before I watched the newer fansub. The dogfighting animation stands up very well even after all these years and the plot are characters are quite good. There is angst.. actually there is ALOT of angst but its the rare good angst that the properly applied and really makes the story interesting. It really is worth and even buying IMO
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 01:39   Link #9
Shenlong

A quick and dirty summary of the original OVAs :

Shin is a pilot trainee who is tricked into signing up for a mercenary air force by a fellow trainee who wants SHin's girl (you see her in the fansub's ending credits). There are only 4 ways to get free of Area 88 (the mercernary airforce) : You either pay the million dollar bounty (earn the money by shooting down enemy aircraft), survive for 3 years (not bloody likely), desertion or death. We watch Shin descend from a a happy young man with a promising career as an airline pilot to an angsty killer who still dreams of returning to the "real world" and his Ryoko but knowing that he has been altered forever.

Great series, I highly recommend
Shenlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 02:07   Link #10
FlyByNite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shenlong
A quick and dirty summary of the original OVAs :

Shin is a pilot trainee who is tricked into signing up for a mercenary air force by a fellow trainee who wants SHin's girl (you see her in the fansub's ending credits). There are only 4 ways to get free of Area 88 (the mercernary airforce) : You either pay the million dollar bounty (earn the money by shooting down enemy aircraft), survive for 3 years (not bloody likely), desertion or death. We watch Shin descend from a a happy young man with a promising career as an airline pilot to an angsty killer who still dreams of returning to the "real world" and his Ryoko but knowing that he has been altered forever.

Great series, I highly recommend
In the subtitle translation I viewed the bounty has been raised to $1.5m I think. Atleast I think I saw that stated in it. Otherwise I guess this is a sequel of the OVA. Shin seems to be the bad-ass best pilot now trying to earn enuf money to get out.

It also seems like the photojournalist is being paid to capture a picture of Shin's death (atleast the impression I got)
FlyByNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 12:06   Link #11
jakkz

this series is so kuhhhhhhhhhl. can't wait til next ep
jakkz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 15:25   Link #12
Colonel-

Send a message via AIM to Colonel-
From what i've remembered, (i watched this series like 9 years ago), the ending's kinda vague, but it's really memorable. It's a choice between a soldier's loyalty to his comrades or the erased desire to return to the "real world"

And i think Shin does switch to a F-16 tiger later on
Colonel- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 16:30   Link #13
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

F-16 Falcon? Oh I'll stfu, I'm being picky. I've head he switched to a plane called the tiger though, named the f-20, as I believe was in the old snes game. Might have been designed, was never in service though.
Old 2004-01-18, 16:40   Link #14
Kero Gunsou
ロリが大好きな男

Yep F-20 Tigershark made by Northrop in early 80's and market as an advance and upgraded F-5 II for export. Unfortunately the US government banned the sale.

Look at this link for some background and pic on the Tigershark:
http://members.aon.at/mwade/
Kero Gunsou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 17:54   Link #15
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Thanks for the link, definitely like an f-5. So if this is a sequel to the OVAs, and he got an f-20, why is he back in his crusader? I'm still confused I'll have to think about getting the OVAs, or maybe see if I can rent em first.
Old 2004-01-18, 21:27   Link #16
Panon

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7hor
Thanks for the link, definitely like an f-5. So if this is a sequel to the OVAs, and he got an f-20, why is he back in his crusader? I'm still confused I'll have to think about getting the OVAs, or maybe see if I can rent em first.
The new series is a remake, not a sequel.
Panon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-18, 21:58   Link #17
7hor
Full Metal Physicist

Makes sense then. Thankies
Old 2004-01-19, 11:51   Link #18
Go-lytely

Seems like retro anime is making a comeback in Japan. I liked this show but I loved the music. Especially the technoed up version of the Bach Fugue in the op.
Go-lytely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-01-19, 12:23   Link #19
stormy001_M1A2

Send a message via MSN to stormy001_M1A2
I kinda liked the MiG 15.

At least I spotted 8 fighter planes in 20 minutes of the 1st ep.
Old 2004-01-19, 13:26   Link #20
Tboz

Woah... Just saw episode 1, though I am not much in fighter plane knowledge, I like what I saw in Area 88. The ending song is great... very 80's.
Tboz is offline   Reply With Quote