AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2017-07-15, 13:33   Link #1
ninja666

Looking for moe SOL anime, with a specific, "frozen in time" kind of setting

I'm in a mood for a comfy, feel-good, "cute girls doing cute things", moe slice of life anime. The most generic kind of request imaginable, right? Well, not quite. Why? Because I want it to take place in a very specific kind of setting I'm very fond of. I've already seen this kind of setting being pulled off, both in anime, such as Gochuumon wa Usagi desu ka? and Kiki's Delivery Service, and in Japanese video games, such as the Harvest Moon series, as well as a few visual novels, and I hope I can find more of it and that you'll be able to help me in that regard.

What I'm talking about is the kind of setting that's clearly modern because it has its fair share of modern conveniences known to us, like TVs, cellphones, cars (although the last ones show up pretty rarely) etc. but the rest of it, like the architecture, fashion, and most of the technology seems to be "stuck" in the early 1900s' European/American style, giving everything and everyone kind of a classy and rustic look... but at the same it's not like that completely because it still has bits and pieces taken from modern times, like certain types of clothing, thrown in as well, albeit with moderation so that it fits and doesn't break that nostalgic aura of the setting. In a similar fashion, there might also be elements from other cultures, most often Japanese, present, to give everything a little bit more diversity, but fit the rest at the same time. Usually it's something small, like a single restaurant/inn.

If you haven't seen Gochuumon... and can't quite grasp the idea from the description alone, I made an album of hand-picked screenshots from this series, to show off what I mean exactly in terms of overall aesthetics.

This kind of "frozen in time" setting makes the watch for me much more enjoyable because it adds to the feelings of relaxation and escapism this genre of anime is supposed to evoke.

Any suggestions for a series that fits the criteria is appreciated. Just make sure the series has already finished airing and ends in a conclusive way - the "story"/events end on such a note that nothing is left hanging, no manga is required to be read afterwards, and you feel that any additional content after the ending would feel unnecessary and forced.

Thank you in advance for the help.

Last edited by ninja666; 2017-07-15 at 14:17.
ninja666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 23:23   Link #2
jedinat

Sounds like Aria.
jedinat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-07-15, 23:48   Link #3
Flower
Blooming on the mountain

Location: Deep in their roots, all flowers keep the light....
Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Sounds like Aria.
Good suggestion ... I also think the Aria franchise could fit the bill.

Aria the Animation - 1 cour
Aria the Natural - 2 cour
Aria the Origination - 1 cour
Aria the Avvenire - 3 OVAs
Old 2017-07-16, 00:04   Link #4
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

I add Non Non Biyori to the list for the frozen-in-time factor. It is set contemporary period, but things move slowly enough that it feels timeless
Old 2017-07-16, 07:22   Link #5
ninja666

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedinat View Post
Sounds like Aria.
In terms of aesthetics? Definitely. However, from what I've heard, Aria is more along the lines of Haibane Renmei - very calm, tranquill mood, with the characters acting accordingly, and no moe to be found, and that's not what I'm looking for. I'm kind of down in the dumps right now and I need this over the top cuteness your typical moe anime provides to cheer myself up a bit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
I add Non Non Biyori to the list for the frozen-in-time factor. It is set contemporary period, but things move slowly enough that it feels timeless
I tried one episode to see if it clicks with me. It's a nice show and I'm definitely gonna give it a watch sometime because it seems too good to pass on, but right now it's not what I'm looking for because it doesn't really fit in terms of setting I want. Non Non Biyori's setting, while isolated from the rest of the world to an absurd degree and kind of going by its own rules, which definitely adds to the relaxing atmosphere, is pretty much, as you said, just modern, contemporary Japanese countryside aesthetic-wise, and that's not what I'm after.

EDIT: Alternatively, if finding something that fits what I'm looking for specifically proves to be too hard, I'd also be fine with a different setting, as long as it's the same kind of "modern but not entirely contemporary" and the show fits the rest of the criteria (moe, CGDCT etc.). Basically, anything goes, as long as it's not school and/or modern Japan (or Japan in general, for that matter). I'd especially love to see something set on a tropical island, with native islanders as the characters, though.

Last edited by ninja666; 2017-07-16 at 07:50. Reason: Added an alternative option for suggestions
ninja666 is offline   Reply With Quote