AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Web Novels

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 2020-11-17, 20:43   Link #10561
bakato
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: May 2014
So we've pretty much mocked katanas off its high horse. That all said, what's the most interesting weapons you've come across in fiction?
__________________
Jcafe is up!
bakato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 01:47   Link #10562
wuhugm
Confused Shark
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlantis
I prefer SF weapons like Orbital Cannon and stuffs
Why is superweapons in isekai boring btw? Barely any too
Isekai's most powerful weapon is 1 dude with golden sword lmao


YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 02:08   Link #10563
sasuke706
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Classic fantasy usually had the heroes finding items or vehicles to aid in their quest and defeat the big bad. Go find the 4 crystals, go find the airship, go get the weird thingy from some powerful genie/hermit in the middle of nowhere.
Newer fantasy is just the person themself getting stronger.

Sometimes there's flying castles treated as weapons but the only recent example I can think of is Kuro no Maou.
sasuke706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 03:25   Link #10564
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
So we've pretty much mocked katanas off its high horse. That all said, what's the most interesting weapons you've come across in fiction?
It would help if mocking was done in informed manner though. Amount of missinformation was trully staggering.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 04:52   Link #10565
dragon1412
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: somewhere in Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
So we've pretty much mocked katanas off its high horse. That all said, what's the most interesting weapons you've come across in fiction?
Depend on actual coolness or effectiveness. It more of a game thing, But I like Boost hammer and Heavy moon in God eater quite a bit. Generally I like weapons that have many gimmick.

I like SF weapon line erotora as well, or is it eroshrimp now ??? but in general, in novels that I read, MC tend to acquire them either too easily or has someone already setting it up for MC, so these tend to be too easy for MC.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-18, 19:57   Link #10566
wuhugm
Confused Shark
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlantis
^Just shrimp now

The strongest unit in isekai being individual doesn't reflect the worldbuilding tbh
It's just normal medieval kingdoms
If the power rests on individual wouldn't there be many warlords
There's no need for nobles as middleman

Somehow CN is more logical because they have the concept of Arrays that can negate powerful beings
And the weapons, many are unique like Gae Bolg, not just elemental stuffs
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-19, 04:33   Link #10567
erneiz_hyde
18782+18782=37564
 
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: InterWebs
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakato View Post
So we've pretty much mocked katanas off its high horse. That all said, what's the most interesting weapons you've come across in fiction?
My personal favorite is multiple weapons wielded using telekinesis. I remember the fascination first came from the 3D PS2 Castlevania game, a character named Joachim iirc. Of course, then Fate came into my life and I went GAR like everyone else (dead meme by now), and of course was also fascinated by GoB. Then I saw Mado Magi and thought huh, telekinetic guns! Wait, I've seen something like this before in Gundam, but still, very cool! I also remember I was very excited when I saw Sora's final form in Kingdom Hearts. I think the latest iteration that I thought was cool was 2B.

Sadly I don't think I've seen something like this in narou yet, though I haven't really read narou in over a year now. My impression is this is more popular in Chinese stories what with things like materializing and de-materializing swords out of thin air and swords flying around. I certainly liked what I see in Thunderbolt Fantasy.

One tangential thing I want to say is I'm a bit sad this isn't more popular within Star Wars. Telekinetically thrown sabers are common, but I don't think I've seen someone fight with multiple sabers all controlled by the force, all the time. Or maybe there was a character like this but it is buried so deep within the lore I didn't know about it.
__________________
erneiz_hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-19, 07:06   Link #10568
Sekiryuu12
God Member
 
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Brasil
Age: 26
Is this worth the time? ハイスクールハックアンドスラッシュ
Sekiryuu12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-19, 07:22   Link #10569
wuhugm
Confused Shark
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlantis
^I remember skipping that

Quote:
Originally Posted by erneiz_hyde View Post
My personal favorite is multiple weapons wielded using telekinesis. I remember the fascination first came from the 3D PS2 Castlevania game, a character named Joachim iirc. Of course, then Fate came into my life and I went GAR like everyone else (dead meme by now), and of course was also fascinated by GoB. Then I saw Mado Magi and thought huh, telekinetic guns! Wait, I've seen something like this before in Gundam, but still, very cool! I also remember I was very excited when I saw Sora's final form in Kingdom Hearts. I think the latest iteration that I thought was cool was 2B.

Sadly I don't think I've seen something like this in narou yet, though I haven't really read narou in over a year now. My impression is this is more popular in Chinese stories what with things like materializing and de-materializing swords out of thin air and swords flying around. I certainly liked what I see in Thunderbolt Fantasy.

One tangential thing I want to say is I'm a bit sad this isn't more popular within Star Wars. Telekinetically thrown sabers are common, but I don't think I've seen someone fight with multiple sabers all controlled by the force, all the time. Or maybe there was a character like this but it is buried so deep within the lore I didn't know about it.
Psychiccer no Isekai Chousaroku (Survey Record)
MC has several ESP powers but limited, his telekinesis can be used to crush object but very taxing, so he uses it to levitate weapons and launching them
Later he modifies magic staffs, so it can be used like Funnel in Gundam *pew*pew*

Allot Roll Gain (アロットロールゲイン)
MC's power is telekinesis but limited to spinning object so he uses many gadgets that can be activated by rotating it's parts
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-19, 07:44   Link #10570
Rasty
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
^^ It's been a while, but from what I remember it is decent. There are no major turn-offs and the writing is moderately fun. On the negative side, it's kind of dumb.
Rasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-19, 11:50   Link #10571
Greenish Growth
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekiryuu12 View Post
I've only read the first two chapters (very long chapters) and decided to place it into my "Nocturne less interesting Stories to Read only if I have time" Folder. It didn't look bad, but it wasn't something I felt like reading right now.

The chapters were rather long winded and I was kind of turned off at how quickly the characters were doing it with each other after they got to know each other. That felt out of place and turned me off to it. It didn't seem bad, but I didn't like it much compared to the other Nocturne web novels I'm reading. Usually I prefer Nocturne novels where the main character is doing something funny amusing or sorta evil/very evil.
Greenish Growth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-20, 10:02   Link #10572
dragon1412
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: somewhere in Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Just shrimp now

The strongest unit in isekai being individual doesn't reflect the worldbuilding tbh
It's just normal medieval kingdoms
If the power rests on individual wouldn't there be many warlords
There's no need for nobles as middleman

Somehow CN is more logical because they have the concept of Arrays that can negate powerful beings
And the weapons, many are unique like Gae Bolg, not just elemental stuffs
I thinks that's the problem tbh, too much elementals or flying stuff. we rarely found stuff with actual unique ability Gae bolg or Dainsleif, or even Gungnir, .... Most of Isekai I found always have elemental based magic weapons instead of one with unique ability generally found in legend.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-20, 19:49   Link #10573
wuhugm
Confused Shark
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlantis
^I like the system in Denyuuden
Every faction has their own spells, not elemental based

Why isekai always elemental anyway?
Only few of them derived their power from Spirits of Nature
Usually it's just their own mana
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-20, 20:24   Link #10574
El Rue
Otherworld Wanderer
 
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Internet Limbo
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon1412 View Post
I thinks that's the problem tbh, too much elementals or flying stuff. we rarely found stuff with actual unique ability Gae bolg or Dainsleif, or even Gungnir, .... Most of Isekai I found always have elemental based magic weapons instead of one with unique ability generally found in legend.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^I like the system in Denyuuden
Why isekai always elemental anyway?
Only few of them derived their power from Spirits of Nature
True. Most writers just go w/ the usual game like systems rather than create their own.

And speaking of Elements, got reminded of this. Specially the rant about the overused 4 elements & specifically the "Fire" element...he's got a good point!


It always did bug me how a lot of fiction always made Fire the "strongest" one when overall, it shouldn't even count.

So...erotora's an eroshrimp now eh.
__________________
I hate <Past Me> and <Future Me>. <Past Me> is an idiot. <Future Me> is a know-it-all. <Present Me> though is quite alright.
El Rue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-20, 21:32   Link #10575
wuhugm
Confused Shark
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlantis
^Plutonium element pliz lol~
Tho, the element in fantasy is Zokusei and not Soshi
So they actually mean different things

Also Fire strongest and Earth weakest trope
But when you see in Avatar, all other elements easily beat Fire
Yes, it's dangerous when you let them burn things, but not in normal fight

I'm a shrimp now
Not really in V-tuber hole, just in Gura's hole


YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 00:39   Link #10576
Garn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
I still remember my foolishness in explaining why fire is the weakest of the "elements"
But I guess "elemental" magic is the easiest thing to put into words without much depth.

It is really silly that the function of "return" in arms is hardly used
Even in legendary weapons, events where the MC loses his weapon is almost always used.
This is only used when the villain has the special weapon.

It seems that novels with a protagonist as summoners or tamer no longer exist
Or at least an acceptable one
Garn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 03:07   Link #10577
dragon1412
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: somewhere in Asia
Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^I like the system in Denyuuden
Every faction has their own spells, not elemental based

Why isekai always elemental anyway?
Only few of them derived their power from Spirits of Nature
Usually it's just their own mana
It's actually the bizzare thing I found, I mean, even in our legends and mythology, we have no lack of weapon with actual unique abilities, If anything, elemental based power is actually the more lacking one in legends. Just take the chief god of many pantheon, Only Zeus I remember have a elemental based lightning bolt, Odin's gungnir is clear not elemental based, Shiva, Vishnu, Brahma multiple weapons with none of them actually having elemental trait to them, some of their material do have it, but none of them have actual elements as part of it's ability.

Isekai case though, I think it's mostly due to copy from game. It kinda flashy in game.

To be fair, fire is kinda unique since it's more like an energy rather than actual solid elements is any other.
dragon1412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 07:13   Link #10578
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
If authors had enough imagination to create unique effects for weapons, they would also have enough imagination to make own distinguishable story. Is there any point to talk about magic system and weapons not being original enough when nothing else is creative either?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wuhugm View Post
^Plutonium element pliz lol~
Tho, the element in fantasy is Zokusei and not Soshi
So they actually mean different things

Also Fire strongest and Earth weakest trope
But when you see in Avatar, all other elements easily beat Fire
Yes, it's dangerous when you let them burn things, but not in normal fight

I'm a shrimp now
Not really in V-tuber hole, just in Gura's hole
I am pretty sure wind is usually weakest not earth. Also I don't think Avatar is exactly authorative source to create universal elemental tier list.
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 08:37   Link #10579
wuhugm
Confused Shark
 
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Atlantis
^The trope is among the 4 generals of Demon King (Shitenou), earth one is always the first to die

Yea, it's always timid MC get OP power and save everyone as adventurer (also always refuses reward)
No objectives, just dicking around saving heroines

But I guess unique weapons can provide those objectives, you know, like MC is ordered to collect dangerous stuffs
wuhugm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2020-11-21, 09:51   Link #10580
Tenzen12
Senior Member
 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Actually demon generals are usually not element related, but rather class/race. I am sure this trope you speak of exist, but I don't remember ever encountering it
__________________
"I am convinced that life is 10% what happens to me and 90% of how I react to it" (Charles R. Swindoll)
Tenzen12 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
web novel, website

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
We use Silk.