AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2004-09-30, 02:40   Link #41
Sokar

Any anime like prime time American cartoons?

Have you guys thought about the question in reverse? American cartoons that do aim for a general audience often has political satire and deal with politically inapporiate topics. South Park is an obvious example of this. Are there any anime that's like South Park? I know anime deals with a lot of serious topics, but do they actually insult the government outright?

Another examples is the Simpsons, my faviorite animated series. More so than any anime. The Simpsons is a pop culture icon, it's got rock stars, pop stars, and even former presidents as guests on the show. It ranges from totally wacky to romantic and serious. It tells the stories of both the adults and the kids and manages to attract a huge audience. Not only that, the Simpsons is popular all around the world. (I know it may be hard to believe, but the again, Baywatch was the most watched show in the world at one point). The Simpsons' humor also works on all levels, you can just watch for the obvious laugh out loud jokes, but there are a lot of jokes that are hidden and you need have a fair amount of knowledge in order to identify and appreciate them. Is there any anime out there that can compare to the Simpsons?
Sokar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 02:50   Link #42
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by JubeiYamazaki
What I like and consider good, are two different things. I loved House of the Dead, the movie. I knew exactly what the director was getting at, random nudity, violence and kick ass fight scenes, since that was exactly what I was in the mood for, it was enjoyable to me. Was it good as a movie? No, the plot was almost non-existent, the characters were one-sided, and it was cheesy.

Lets say, I want some philosophical thriller to make me question what I think I know, I'll watch Ghost in the Shell, deals with all sorts of issues while at the sametime, keeping me interested. Now there's a Batman:TAS (If you haven't noticed I love my Bats ) episode entitled "His Silcon Soul" which dealt with morality and mircochips, both totally different in the sense that GitS was an epic 2 hour movie in a world of its own and with a style of its own, while the Batman episode was a twenty minute short with very few characters, and a far shorter, and to the point plot. I enjoyed both immensely, because both gave me what I wanted, the type of entertainment I was seeking, great action scenes, and storytelling, and both left me with the message that the directors wanted to leave with me. And that's the mark of what I measure both.

P.S.: wsheit - I just want you to understand, I know exactly what you're trying to say through your posts and this thread, I was merely telling you, how I rate stuff personally, I mean I would never tell someone to watch House of the Dead when I know there's a better alternative that they might enjoy, even though I loved it, I mean its all my opinion anyway. But really if you enjoy something simpler as much as you enjoy something much more complex, what's the real difference? I enjoy both sides of the field, only difference is one is from Japan, and the other from Amerca. And I really don't want this to turn into a Japan vs. America argument/flame war, and if it does I won't be involved, theres somethings not worth having a flamewar about, and this is one of them.
I understand your point perfectly, and it's quite valid.....and I don't think we have many members outside of the Naruto forum (although I love Naruto) that would be interested in a flame war. I guess that my interest in this topic, personally, stems from my own dislike of the stigma towards both animation and serial storytelling in American society. Certainly, there is plenty produced here (SUCH AS SEALAB!!! HELL YEAH!!!) that can be quite satisfying towards a specific purpose.

I think I know what episode of Batman:TAS you're talking about- it's a great one. I'm hoping it will be on volume 2 of the series (the next 28 episode set). BTW, one of my favorite things about Batman was that each episode was individually scored (orchestral background music for the uninformed)- anime doesn't even do that- it truly gives a cinematic flair to each episode.

OH- and I guess I need to see House of the Dead then. The reviews were terrible, but I'm a sucker for sweet action. As long as I'm assured of that- well, I'm in

And I've still got to get to the theaters and see Resident Evil: Apocalypse
Old 2004-09-30, 02:59   Link #43
babbito2k
annoying white bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar
Have you guys thought about the question in reverse?
No. I really don't watch current cartoons (my favorites are all old stuff) and don't compare them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sokar
Is there any anime out there that can compare to the Simpsons?
If you separate the pop-culture stuff from the kooky family stuff, then yeah. Oh! Super Milk-chan does all kinds of name-dropping and plays other gags on media figures and pop culture. It also features a slobbering hick "President." Atashin'chi is a no-holds-barred look at Japanese family life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsheit
Ok, let me clarify here again...
You keep changing your mind or making it up or something. Just let other people have their say. The thread is a lot more fun that way. I daresay you haven't seen all these shows which you have condemned...
Quote:
I find anime, in general, to be a volume of work that is rarely matched in other animation or live-action work. This thread is dedicated to identifying works that capture the same level of storytelling/artistic prowess.
If it wasn't unique in some ways then what the hell would be the point of watching it? And I don't think anime is "generally" wonderful either - it's easy to pick and choose and say OMG!!! but 90% of it is crap.
babbito2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 19:36   Link #44
Chronissz

Quote:
CSI: MIAMI, CSI: CHICAGO, CSI: DETROIT, SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT: SEXUAL ASSAULT, SPECIAL VICTIMS UNIT: NECROPHILIA, LAW & ORDER, LAW & ORDER: THE NEW TEAM- are ya gettin' my drift here?
Most of those dont exist

Theres the Law and order and L&O :SVU (not sexual assault), but necrophilia??

and theres no CSI detroit, no CSI chicago, could be wrong there but dont believe so, theres no such thing as L&O the new team...that would be a series doomed to fail...

Anyways, theres plenty of TV shows out there that have consistant plots that you failed to mention, in Sci-fi setting I can think of one excellent one off the top of my head, Babylon 5.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 22:37   Link #45
Dak Anthel
Saunter Vaguely Downwards

WHOOOOOSH.

That was the sound of something going right over your head.

( I had to register JUST to say that. )
Dak Anthel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-09-30, 23:34   Link #46
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chronissz
Most of those dont exist

Theres the Law and order and L&O :SVU (not sexual assault), but necrophilia??

and theres no CSI detroit, no CSI chicago, could be wrong there but dont believe so, theres no such thing as L&O the new team...that would be a series doomed to fail...

Anyways, theres plenty of TV shows out there that have consistant plots that you failed to mention, in Sci-fi setting I can think of one excellent one off the top of my head, Babylon 5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dak Anthel
WHOOOOOSH.

LOL-- that made my day- maybe I'm a sarcastic bastard, but that was great. Welcome to the forums, Dak.

Quote:
Originally Posted by babbito2k
You keep changing your mind or making it up or something. Just let other people have their say. The thread is a lot more fun that way. I daresay you haven't seen all these shows which you have condemned...
whoa, whoa- I'm expressing my opinion here. When I open my mouth and say something that isn't a fact (such as say "X-men evolution sucks"), it is inherently an opinion.

I'm not changing my mind, either. I'm just clarifying my position- I didn't state it very clearly at the beginning. And I'm not trying to mandate what the thread should specifically be about- I was simply stating what part of the argument interests me.

Oh, and I haven't "condemned" all of these shows. If I really thought that only the shows I mentioned could ever be considered "worth a damn" then I would have had no reason to start the thread.

If I offended anybody- no offense intended- I argue my positions seriously in anything, but I always have respect for the positions of others.
Old 2004-10-01, 00:06   Link #47
Chronissz

Quote:
WHOOOOOSH.

I think you missed my point man, If your going to insult something do it right, dont make up bullshit shows to backup your views, thats what I'm saying to him.

They are cashing in on what sells, you see it in all forms of entertainment, theres no real surprise there.

There ARE good shows on TV, ones with reputable plots and interesting characters, most of them are underdogs because the media makes US society obsessed with crime and anything associated with it, the point is thats not all there is out there.

Dont get me wrong I know there's a difference between the anime and a normal TV show, but you basically say theres nothing worth watching that can match anime and I disagree.

Last edited by Chronissz; 2004-10-01 at 00:32.
Chronissz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 02:57   Link #48
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
Chronissz he was just being funny and everyone knows they're BS, but it does sometimes feel like thats the only show out there
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 03:24   Link #49
Radd
Just Married, Oct. 28th!

People were meant to catch onto the exaggeration. There is however, real equivelents to most of that stuff. There's what? Three real CSI shows now? The original, Miami, and Las Vegas? Wait, isn't there a CSI New York, too? Or is that the original? I don't really know. But I do know there's several CSI shows. There's also what? Two E.R. shows? At least there where, I think. How many reality tv shows all trying to cash in on the same idea? There's tons of crap on tv not worth bothering with, and it is getting rediculous how they don't even pretend to not be the same exact thing anymore.

It goes both ways, though, there's lots of crap anime all cashing in on the same ideas as well.

Chronissz, don't take it personally when people mock you for complaining about the obvious like that. Live and learn, you've got your valid points, however knocking on obvious exaggerations is not one of them.
Old 2004-10-01, 07:21   Link #50
ForeverGoNe
Inflammation

Umm... I don't think that this is possibly able to meet up to the anime standards but.. I saw a couple of the Jimmy Neutron episodes... it seemed that this show was really thought out well. It has most of the composition that an Anime is made out of (structure wise).
ForeverGoNe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 09:22   Link #51
UserName

I don't think it's really about ameican cartoon meeting up to the standards of anime as rather american cartoons wanting to focus on the same topics or age groups that good anime focus on. And look at how much anime they are, look at the percentage of anime that is bad... Also anime migth be a bigger part of japanbese culture than cartoons of american culture so the quality of course would vary.
UserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 09:35   Link #52
method

Las Vegas is the location of the original series. CSI New York is the newest addition to the CSI franchise. As far as I know there is only one ER.
method is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 10:52   Link #53
luffy

Send a message via MSN to luffy
what about martin mysteries would it be considered anime?
it seem like a cheap wannabeanime.....
luffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 14:52   Link #54
OutPhase
Lord Chairman God King

Send a message via AIM to OutPhase
Quote:
WHOOOOOSH.

For a moment there when I read your post, I felt like I was in the English version of the first volume of the AzuDai manga.

Quote:
Originally Posted by luffy
what about martin mysteries would it be considered anime?
it seem like a cheap wannabeanime.....
That depends on where it was aired first, who animated it, who directed it, and what company created it. You really need to make posts with more information. Anything would help, even if it's just a part of it.
OutPhase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 16:42   Link #55
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razer_2mb
That depends on where it was aired first, who animated it, who directed it, and what company created it. You really need to make posts with more information. Anything would help, even if it's just a part of it.
Umm... yeah.

Luffy was asking if Martin Mystery(not 'mysteries') was one of those shows that could be considered to be of a higher standard. It doesn't matter who directed it, who drew it or anything else of that nature. You either need to start actually reading posts completely and thinking before you reply or start comprehending the post's content before you jump the gun and post nonsense replies.

@Luffy - I'm not too fond of that show, the character designs just rub me the wrong way and I find it too similar to the Ripley's: Believe it or Not! cartoon.
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-01, 17:08   Link #56
JERI

No doubt the Simpsons, its general entertainment value is worth ten animes.

Other than that, Justice League or Aeon Flux is pretty good.
JERI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 23:01   Link #57
mememe
hmmm baka

Send a message via MSN to mememe
K, how about the barbie movies that are out, I hate to say this but they are alright.
mememe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-02, 23:50   Link #58
wsheit
Combating Spoiler Scum

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe
K, how about the barbie movies that are out, I hate to say this but they are alright.
I shudder to think of it........

I dunno, never seen 'em, never will. I'm just glad she broke up with Ken. That means she's available
Old 2004-10-02, 23:57   Link #59
Mr_Paper
Hmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mememe
I don't know...

After watching the lastest commercial for the newest movie, the God awful bastardization of The Prince and the Pauper, I have serious doubts the people behind the Barbie movies have more than three functioning braincells left in their stupendously empty heads. I mean Barbie's twin is an African American... What supreme dumbass wouldn't be able to tell the two apart? The premise of the story is they're IDENTICLE!!!

I mean,Come On!!

/me vents...

Quote:
I shudder to think of it........

I dunno, never seen 'em, never will. I'm just glad she broke up with Ken. That means she's available
You do know she's the poster girl of plastic surgery at nearly 50 years of age, right?
Mr_Paper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-03, 11:16   Link #60
bubblehead

Send a message via Yahoo to bubblehead
Quote:
Rocky and Bullwinkle (#3 best cartoon OF ALL TIME according to TV Guide!)
Yeah, I like that show! But the puns are terrible. Dreadful!
Quote:
A pair of American live-action series are also worthy of notice. One is the truly strange comedy-action Batman series of the mid-60s (which had one of the best scores of any TV show ever); the other is The Greatest American Hero, a rather ironic take on superheroes which ran in the early 1980s.
OMG the live action Batman was awesome! I just wish I could have seen more of it!

Has no one mentioned Mega XLR yet? Sure it's pretty mindless, but you have to love the theme song:
"Chicks dig GIANT ROBOTS..."

*sings*
Plus it's pretty fun. Sort of anime-looking, but not that much. Very episodic, of course, but I think there's a place for that too.

*goes off singing "I want to rock! ROCK!"*

(typed this all last night but couldn't post it because the forum was too busy)
bubblehead is offline   Reply With Quote