AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Movies, OVAs/OADs, and Specials

Notices

Old 2017-02-09, 02:11   Link #161
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
So I just came back from watching the movie, and I was blown away on how incredible it was. I did not expect the movie to be like that at all. The plot was a lot more complex than just two people switching bodies, yet well written and executed with attention to detail. Some people did cried during those moments. That ending was beautiful, and I'm glad Makoto did not pull another 5cm. I can honestly say that it was his best work yet that I ever seen and the best animated one yet.

So apparently this movie was licensed by Funimation and subbed by them in case anybody was wondering for the USA release. Funimation did screwed up with the subs though. Some of the scenes were not subbed at all, and all the background people was also not subbed at all even though you can clearly hear the dialogue. Nice job Funi.
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-02-09, 23:32   Link #162
Verso Sciolto
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julio C View Post
... Some of the scenes were not subbed at all, and all the background people was also not subbed at all even though you can clearly hear the dialogue. Nice job Funi.
That really is noteworthy because the conversations Taki in particular overhears are fairly significant in quite a few cases.
Verso Sciolto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-01, 00:20   Link #163
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Just here to rant, but apparently Your Name was shown in the Toronto International Film Festival on Feb 18. Like holy shit Funi, I knew MONTHS in advance about Anthem of the Heart and Miss Hokusai because they put it on their frigging site about their screenings, and you can't be bothered to put one for Your Name? I'm so frustrated....

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-01, 02:19   Link #164
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoonKain3 View Post
Just here to rant, but apparently Your Name was shown in the Toronto International Film Festival on Feb 18. Like holy shit Funi, I knew MONTHS in advance about Anthem of the Heart and Miss Hokusai because they put it on their frigging site about their screenings, and you can't be bothered to put one for Your Name? I'm so frustrated....
It's almost like they're trying to bury the film in America. Then again, I lost respect for Funimation when they teamed up with Crunchyroll and started their monopoly to start brutalising viewing/licensing rights. It's done more harm than good. They probably only care about Titan S2 this year.
Old 2017-03-03, 11:04   Link #165
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
It's almost like they're trying to bury the film in America.
The publishers''ve been tight-lipped about BDs even in Japan (to say nothing of the purported October 2017 release of the BDs in English), so somehow, I'm not surprised about the hush-hush surrounding this film's release patterns.
Old 2017-03-04, 01:11   Link #166
Julio C
Bury My Shell

Send a message via AIM to Julio C Send a message via MSN to Julio C Send a message via Yahoo to Julio C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infinite Zenith View Post
The publishers''ve been tight-lipped about BDs even in Japan (to say nothing of the purported October 2017 release of the BDs in English), so somehow, I'm not surprised about the hush-hush surrounding this film's release patterns.
So no BD anytime soon in Japan?
Julio C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-04, 01:30   Link #167
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
I've heard squat, even though I've been combing news sites and the like extensively. The most I learned is that there's a dedicated anti-piracy channel on Twitter (@kiminona_rights) asking folks to not consume pirated forms of the media, and that some folks were arrested for uploading illegal copies of the film.
Old 2017-03-10, 03:14   Link #168
konart

Quote:
October 30
Old 2017-03-10, 09:24   Link #169
Infinite Zenith
Operation sneaky sneaks
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by konart View Post
October 30
That was a placeholder for the UK Amazon release.
Old 2017-03-21, 23:47   Link #170
nicky.
animesuki

Hey, all. This is my take on Kimi no Na wa.
Spoiler for Review:

Would love to hear what you guys rated.
nicky. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 09:20   Link #171
TinyRedLeaf
Moving in circles

^ You're definitely not alone in thinking that way.

I felt more or less the same, but I didn't bother to argue the point extensively, as it's clear the majority who watched the movie were swept away by it, and don't have much patience for contrarian opinions.

I still feel it's a gorgeous movie, and I greatly enjoyed the artistic aspects of it. But, like you said, the narrative felt contrived, and I can't help but also feel that the couple didn't quite "earn" their romantic outcome.

There was also a clumsy attempt to tie sentiments about the aftermath of Fukushima into the film, but because it was inadequately developed, the theme didn't go anywhere. It was just there and, again, it felt unnecessary and very tacked on.

And the fundamental plot devices that tied everything together — body-swops and inexplicable time-travel — did not make the slightest sense.

This is a common problem with a number of anime movies, I notice. Take Wolf Children, for example. Fundamentally, the story is about a single mother struggling to raise two special kids on her own. That's dramatic enough on its own, but director Mamoru Hosoda believed — not incorrectly — that it needed something more to make the project worthwhile for animation.

Animation thrives on fantasy, and without the fantastic, there's nothing really to distinguish an anime movie from a live-action film.

That said, there's a fine line between the appropriate use of fantasy as a metaphor for real-world issues — a craft that Hayao Miyazaki mastered over decades of thoughtful movie-making and writing — and introducing the fantastic just for the sake of it.

Makoto Shinkai weaved in a flimsy sci-fi device to drive the plot, when a focus on the drama alone would have sufficed, and that cheapened the story for me overall.

And that's why I still strongly feel that 5 Centimetres remains Shinkai's best movie to date. It was honest, and it didn't pull any punches, and it delivered a universal story that anyone who has ever loved can easily relate to.

Your Name. in contrast, is more of a blockbuster effort. A crowd-pleaser that was designed to be so from the ground-up. There's nothing inherently wrong with that, especially not with a project done so well. But that's also why I don't believe it deserves all the hype it's getting. It's great, but not really all that great, especially in a year where we also had arthouse animated movies like Red Turtle, Miss Hokusai and In This Corner of the World.

Last edited by TinyRedLeaf; 2017-03-22 at 09:45.
TinyRedLeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-22, 15:02   Link #172
nicky.
animesuki

@TinyRedLeaf, I agree with you on basically everything you said. It felt very "blockbuster", like it was designed to get people obsessed with it for a cash-grab (don't mean to offend anyone with that statement). I mean, that is the ultimate goal of the film/anime industry: make profit.

Regarding the ending, I don't really care if a film is happy or sad at the end; as long as the ending is well-done, I'll feel good.

I have not seen older Shinkai films or the other aforementioned films. This was my first time with a Shinkai film, as I am a newer anime fan. I'll definitely be trying some of those out though.

Last edited by nicky.; 2017-03-22 at 20:38.
Old 2017-03-24, 08:25   Link #173
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Hi. Just sharing the Mitsuha cosplay of my friend Rojanee. We did the shoot last Feb 5 at Otaku Expo.

We have more pics, and also photos of other players at the cosplay thread.

https://forums.animesuki.com/showpos...postcount=2662
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-24, 11:14   Link #174
nicky.
animesuki

@Liddio kun, great photo.
It funny how that cosplay could be mistaken as just a regular outfit someone could wear. I wouldn't even be able to tell. Lol!
Old 2017-03-24, 17:54   Link #175
Liddo-kun
is this so?

Thanks for the commnt. Well, the school uniform in Kimi no Nawa is a simple one because she is from the province - which is why it probable looks like normal clothes.

Anyway, I'll show her what you said.

Last edited by Liddo-kun; 2017-03-25 at 09:57.
Liddo-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-03-26, 00:48   Link #176
nicky.
animesuki

Yes, the Mitsuha outfit is very plain. She's an average country girl. lol :P
Doesn't mean it's not a good cosplay though. Choosing what you love is always best.
Old 2017-04-04, 15:44   Link #177
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

It took ages to have KNNW in belgium, but finally could watch it today.

As someone who just couldn't enjoy 5cm at all (mostly being completely unable to have any emotional attachment to any characters and so forth), KNNW was the complete antithesis of the former and I enjoyed quite a lot. I found the characters pretty likeable and I definitely liked the characterization.

That being said
Spoiler:

Overall, it is a very nice movie and it is definitely my favorite Shinkai movie, ahead of Kotonoha no Niwa. There are a few plotholes and some convenient plot devices, but the atmosphere, characters, visuals and sound directions make up for that by a long shot.
Old 2017-04-04, 21:02   Link #178
nicky.
animesuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klashikari View Post
It took ages to have KNNW in belgium, but finally could watch it today.

As someone who just couldn't enjoy 5cm at all (mostly being completely unable to have any emotional attachment to any characters and so forth), KNNW was the complete antithesis of the former and I enjoyed quite a lot. I found the characters pretty likeable and I definitely liked the characterization.

That being said
Spoiler:

Overall, it is a very nice movie and it is definitely my favorite Shinkai movie, ahead of Kotonoha no Niwa. There are a few plotholes and some convenient plot devices, but the atmosphere, characters, visuals and sound directions make up for that by a long shot.
Cool report
Did you watch it sub or dub in your theater?

Your assessment is quite agreeable with (for me at least). The first half got the viewer into the story well, but the holes are just too big. I'm one to value plot the most in my anime, so we have differing opinions in that regard.
I felt like the characters were one of the weaker links of the film. I found it difficult to care about them at all, considering..
Spoiler for rest of sentence(s). (Your Name):

As for the spoils: I went in blind as a bat; I actually knew even less than you did. All I knew was he was a city boy, she was a country girl, and it takes place in Japan LOL. Well.. I did that on purpose by exiting myself from conversations until I saw it for myself, so I was glad. I love going into things not knowing much!
Old 2017-04-05, 01:51   Link #179
Tactics
Haven't You Heard?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicky. View Post
Cool report
Did you watch it sub or dub in your theater?

Your assessment is quite agreeable with (for me at least). The first half got the viewer into the story well, but the holes are just too big. I'm one to value plot the most in my anime, so we have differing opinions in that regard.
I felt like the characters were one of the weaker links of the film. I found it difficult to care about them at all, considering..
Spoiler for rest of sentence(s). (Your Name):

As for the spoils: I went in blind as a bat; I actually knew even less than you did. All I knew was he was a city boy, she was a country girl, and it takes place in Japan LOL. Well.. I did that on purpose by exiting myself from conversations until I saw it for myself, so I was glad. I love going into things not knowing much!
Spoiler for The romance is simple that I'm surprised if one can not understand it:

I watched it with my friend that is a logical-thinker, and he gave the film applause for being Shinkai film with proper romance and strong impression.
Old 2017-04-05, 07:11   Link #180
nicky.
animesuki

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tactics View Post
Spoiler for The romance is simple that I'm surprised if one can not understand it:

I watched it with my friend that is a logical-thinker, and he gave the film applause for being Shinkai film with proper romance and strong impression.
I mean, you are free to think as you wish.
Spoiler for Your Name: