AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-07-13, 17:57   Link #1
kco143

Hakuouki or Fuedal Japan/Asian-like Anime

Hello,

I just recently watched Hakuouki and loved it. I loved the fuedal Japan setting, the characters, and the storyline with a slight fantasy twist. I also kind of liked how the lead female was under protection by a handsome man. =) The reverse harem theme was cool too.

I was wondering if anybody knew any anime similar to this? I would also love it if anyone could recommend some great fuedal Japan setting anime.

I have seen:

Rurouni Kenshin
Samurai Champloo
Hakuouki
Inuyasha (If that counts. I hated it though.)

Thanks in advance :]

What people have recommended so far:

- Amatsuki
- Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
- Basilisk
- Genji Monogatari Sennenki
- Gintama
- House of Five Leaves
- Katanagatari
- Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran
- Kenshin OVA
- Mononoke
- Ninja Scroll
- Oh! Edo Rocket
- Peacemaker Kurogane
- Requiem From The Darkness
- Saiunkoku Monogatari
- Samurai Deeper Kyo
- Sengoku Basara
- Shigurui
- Shura no Toki
- Twelve Kingdoms
- Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi

Last edited by kco143; 2010-07-14 at 13:30.
Old 2010-07-13, 18:10   Link #2
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

House of Five Leaves is an excellent example of these types of shows, though I think it might be set a bit later historically than the Shinsengumi period.

An entirely weird show set in 1843-44 Japan is Oh! Edo Rocket. This is an alternate-history satire though some historical events like the 1837 Osaka uprising appear largely accurate, as are, I believe, the officials portrayed in the show.

Genji Monogatari Sennenki is the most recent anime retelling of the Tale of Genji written some 1,000 years ago by the courtesan Murasaki.

Finally you might try Mononoke (great performance by Sakurai Takahiro who also voices Genji and Yaichi in Leaves). It's an almost psychedelic representation of Edo Japan.

If you haven't seen the Kenshin OVA, you should watch that, too.
Old 2010-07-13, 18:19   Link #3
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

Will second House of Five Leaves, Genji Monogatari Sennenki and Mononoke.

As for my recommendations on the subject of shows set in Edo Japan.

Amatsuki
Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto
Gintama
Twelve Kingdoms
Tenpou Ibun Ayakashi Ayashi

Out of all of them, i'd say you should check out Bakumatsu Kikansetsu Irohanihoheto first. Not only is it a fantastic show, it does a good job of focusing on the Shinsengumi period of history. Mainly Hijikata Toshizo. The complete series can be found over on Animesuki's page.
Old 2010-07-13, 18:28   Link #4
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Peacemaker Kurogane for you. Shinsengumi setting (you'll recognize many of the characters by name), a bit of fantasy. The twist is that instead of a young woman the one under the protection of the Shinsengumi is an undersized teenage boy. I think it's a pretty underrated series on the whole - not quite a masterpiece, but solidly in the "excellent" tier.
Old 2010-07-13, 18:30   Link #5
kco143

Wow these are excellent recommendations! You guys are fantastic. Thank you so much! I'll check them all out eventually but right now I'm tied between House of Leaves, Mononoke, Twelve Kingdoms, and Peacemaker Kurogane.
Old 2010-07-13, 18:32   Link #6
Shiroth
Beautiful fighter.

There's also Katanagatari which is still airing. An episode a month, and we're on 7 at the moment. Great time to catch up.
Old 2010-07-13, 18:33   Link #7
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by kco143 View Post
Wow these are excellent recommendations! You guys are fantastic. Thank you so much! I'll check them all out eventually but right now I'm tied between House of Leaves, Mononoke, Twelve Kingdoms, and Peacemaker Kurogane.
I have the tiebreaking vote. Peacemaker!
Old 2010-07-13, 18:41   Link #8
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
Second Peace Maker Kurogane .. the same Shinsingume story with most of the details, characters, and events. As Guardian Enzo mentioned, You'll recognize lots of the details, down to names of organized Attacks ! .. I personally preffered PMK over Hakuouki. Unfortunately though, it included so much less swordsplay, fights, and overall action. But other than that, I found it very nicely done, and quite touching at points. You'll love it.

I can't believe no one mentioned Basilisk ! (stay away from this one if you're not into serious, dark, gory animes)

EDIT: @Enzo: You know what's even better than Kurogane? That nice signature of your's Definitely the best swordsplay ever drawn on paper !
Old 2010-07-13, 18:45   Link #9
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
More:
Shura no Toki
Ninja Scroll
Sengoku Basara
Requiem From The Darkness
Samurai Deeper Kyo
Shigurui
Kazemakase Tsukikage Ran
Old 2010-07-13, 18:48   Link #10
kco143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai dono View Post
Second Peace Maker Kurogane .. the same Shinsingume story with most of the details, characters, and events. As Guardian Enzo mentioned, You'll recognize lots of the details, down to names of organized Attacks ! .. I personally preffered PMK over Hakuouki. Unfortunately though, it included so much less swordsplay, fights, and overall action. But other than that, I found it very nicely done, and quite touching at points. You'll love it.

I can't believe no one mentioned Basilisk ! (stay away from this one if you're not into serious, dark, gory animes)

EDIT: @Enzo: You know what's even better than Kurogane? That nice signature of your's Definitely the best swordsplay ever drawn on paper !
Yeah I keep forgetting about Basilisk. I hear its fantastic. Dark and gory themes don't bother me. But why is it dark and gory? Are their supernatural themes in it?

@Enzo: Yeah Peacemaker is the perfect choice since it sounds so similar to Hakuouki!
Old 2010-07-13, 19:03   Link #11
Samurai dono
Anti-Manga Squad

Location: Anti-manga Corps Headquarters - Assassination Division
^ It's pure Ninja madness .. so I guess yeah, a bit supernatural you can say .. if you don't mind dark, gloomy themes .. trust me, you don't wanna miss this one.
Old 2010-07-13, 19:20   Link #12
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiroth View Post
There's also Katanagatari which is still airing. An episode a month, and we're on 7 at the moment. Great time to catch up.
Second this and Twelve Kingdoms both fit very well.
MAL
Old 2010-07-13, 20:03   Link #13
JRendell
Manga Addict

Second Ninja Scroll. It's epic.
Old 2010-07-14, 02:19   Link #14
Qwey

I think you'd like Saiunkoku Monogatari. Its probably closer to ancient china, but its got everything else you've asked for. Its a reverse harem with quite a few good looking men as well. There are quite a few differences however: the main female character in Saiunkoku is very strong for the time period and has a strong will, she isn't wishy-washy like I thought the girl from Hakuouki was. Also, almost all of the titles you listed are more actiony then Saiunkoku is (in terms of physical action like sword fights and what not), but its still very exciting and quite a treat to watch with 78 episodes (two seasons).
Old 2010-07-14, 10:06   Link #15
kco143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qwey View Post
I think you'd like Saiunkoku Monogatari. Its probably closer to ancient china, but its got everything else you've asked for. Its a reverse harem with quite a few good looking men as well. There are quite a few differences however: the main female character in Saiunkoku is very strong for the time period and has a strong will, she isn't wishy-washy like I thought the girl from Hakuouki was. Also, almost all of the titles you listed are more actiony then Saiunkoku is (in terms of physical action like sword fights and what not), but its still very exciting and quite a treat to watch with 78 episodes (two seasons).
Thanks I'm definitely checking this one out. I prefer shows with strong heroines, actually. I hated how useless the protagonist was in Hakuouki. It made me cringe sometimes. >.<
Old 2010-07-14, 11:12   Link #16
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I specifically didn't include Twelve Kingdoms or Saiunkoku in my original post because I thought the settings were derived more from Chinese than Japanese cultural sources. If your interest is in "Asian-flavored" shows, then I'd definitely endorse both of these. However if you're looking for a show with a strong female lead, you should put Moribito at the top of your list.

Hakuouki was, I believe, based on a romance simulation game for girls. Like all harem games, the main character is typically undeveloped to enable the player to imagine him or herself in that character's role.
Old 2010-07-14, 13:11   Link #17
kco143

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I specifically didn't include Twelve Kingdoms or Saiunkoku in my original post because I thought the settings were derived more from Chinese than Japanese cultural sources. If your interest is in "Asian-flavored" shows, then I'd definitely endorse both of these. However if you're looking for a show with a strong female lead, you should put Moribito at the top of your list.

Hakuouki was, I believe, based on a romance simulation game for girls. Like all harem games, the main character is typically undeveloped to enable the player to imagine him or herself in that character's role.
I can't believe I forgot Moribito! That show is responsible for making me hate weak female characters lol. It was an amazing show. Female leads should always kick ass like that.

But yeah, Asian-type shows interest me. However, there's something about the fuedal Japan era that I just really love.
Old 2010-07-14, 13:18   Link #18
kco143

Has anyone seen Senkou no Night Raid? Just saw a preview and it looks interesting...
Old 2010-07-14, 13:32   Link #19
Haak
Me, An Intellectual

Yes I've been watching it and I really like it. It's set around 1930's in China, though, just before the second Sino-Japanese war. I'd still recommend it. Very political and intruiging.

I also recommend Sword of the Stranger, but it doesn't have any fantasy elements.
Closed Thread