Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-03-28, 22:57   Link #21
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Heh.. you're not on the hook - someone else recommended this one and I can't remember where I found out the petopetosan people were involved.

I've not seen the ep but it sounds like they may have committed the sin of "imaginary city" ... there *are* some pretty cool looking bridges in Japan though but if its a traditional "new york" bridge that is pretty wierd.
Old 2007-03-28, 23:34   Link #22
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
Heh.. you're not on the hook - someone else recommended this one and I can't remember where I found out the petopetosan people were involved.

I've not seen the ep but it sounds like they may have committed the sin of "imaginary city" ... there *are* some pretty cool looking bridges in Japan though but if its a traditional "new york" bridge that is pretty wierd.
1. Whew!

2. I thought of a bridge in another North American city, myself. It may be New York, but it's probably just an amalgam of foreign-looking places. It didn't bother me at all, since the action is all in the school (so far) and among the students. We're not dealing with Red Garden here, anyway, lol.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.
Old 2007-03-29, 00:11   Link #23
JediNight
キズランダム

I watched ep1 as well: It seems fairly interesting so far, so I'll keep watching for now.

Asai definitely is an interesting personality type to join the drama club -- this should be interesting

I'm not quite used to the VA for Nono-chan yet .... I love her as a VA, but she just doesn't seem to fit the character. She was great in Zegapain, Konomini, Strain, etc. but I dunno .... maybe she will grow on me in this role later on.
Old 2007-03-29, 05:46   Link #24
mouhitori

Drama Research club

The bridge was pretty nice, and the first episode itself is fairly interesting.

The club is actually a drama research club, unless I misheard things. Wonder how that differs from a normal drama club. Genshiken comes into mind
Old 2007-03-29, 08:52   Link #25
bdonlan
Lazy translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouhitori View Post
The bridge was pretty nice, and the first episode itself is fairly interesting.

The club is actually a drama research club, unless I misheard things. Wonder how that differs from a normal drama club. Genshiken comes into mind
From what I gather, there's both a drama club (演劇部) and drama research society (演劇研究会) - the latter of which is on the edge of closing due to a lack of members. Episode 2 will probably clarify this - but they were very clear on the distinction toward the end of episode 1.
Old 2007-03-29, 10:35   Link #26
bdonlan
Lazy translator
*Fansubber

Here are the character profiles from the Japanese wikipedia. There are some minor spoilers, but probably only for the first 1-3 episodes.
Spoiler:
Old 2007-03-29, 11:18   Link #27
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Thanks, bdonlan. Those character outlines give me hope the show will maintain the interest of the first ep. Brother and sister explains things. And more kudos to Kawasumi Ayako. Now I understand the voice she's using even more. For me, it works fantastically well.
YUUKI Aoi 悠木碧. b92.03.27 (age 29). 2008 Kurenai (Murasaki). 2009 Yumeiro Pâtissière (Ichigo), Kiruminzuu (Riko), Yutori-chan (Yutori-chan). 2010 Vampire Bund (Mina Tepeş), Shiki (Sunako), Samurai Girls (Juubee), Pokémon: Black and White (Iris). 2011 Madoka Magica (Madoka), Gosick (Victorique), A-Channel (Tooru). 2012 Symphogear (Hibiki). 2014 Pilot's Love Song (Claire/Nina), Nanatsu no Taizai (Diane). 2015 Owari no Seraph (Krul Tepes), Rokka no Yuusha (Fremy). 2016 Boku no Hero Academia (Tsuyu, Froppy). 2017 Kino no Tabi (Kino). 2021 Kumo desu ga (watashi), Kaizoku Oujo (Karin), Heike Monogatari (Biwa), etc., etc. Total of 513 roles in anime and games.

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-03-29 at 12:05.
Old 2007-03-29, 12:08   Link #28
BiZz
God ?

this anime reminds me Tsuyokiss, same theme but with a different plot
Old 2007-03-29, 13:33   Link #29
Mei

Well I really like this series! I watched the first episode but didn't manage to blog it until today (my blog is so new though, and I don't know if I am good enough for blogging). The Bridge also reminds me of New York bridge (only seen it in movies though). I wasn't really anticipating this series, but now I am looking forward to the next episode.
Old 2007-03-30, 17:15   Link #30
vuori
The red fish is wisdom

I didn't have very high expectations from the summaries for this series, however episode 1 was a positive surprise. Animation was well done and the characters seemed interesting. The style and characters reminded me of To Heart (the original series), in a favorable manner.
Old 2007-03-30, 19:22   Link #31
BiZz
God ?

I enjoy this anime The animation is ok, I like the op too
For this moment, the characters are friendly.

I hope this is not an harem anime among the others -_-
Old 2007-03-30, 19:52   Link #32
bdonlan
Lazy translator
*Fansubber

Well, if it goes in the harem direction, it'd have to be a yuri harem, I guess

That said I don't really see that happening, although there could definitely be a triangle developing between Mugi<->Nono and Mugi<->Kai (and maybe even Mugi<->Kayo?), I suppose. Then again they might prefer to keep things less blatant.
Old 2007-03-30, 20:08   Link #33
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

For some reason this reminds me of old school school anime. As vuori said, like the original To Heart. I wonder if it's the way the characters were drawn, or because it's been a while since I've seen 'normal' school anime (as opposed to fantasy schools like Shuffle! or Happiness!. All girls' school anime like Marimite or Otoboku don't count either).

Anyway, although I don't really get Mugi's trauma (?) moments, I enjoyed the episode; good acting, and some nice, funny moments.
Old 2007-03-31, 00:07   Link #34
mintyfresh
Altoid

I like this show.
I like it even more after I watched the first ep for the second time. The music is very simple (sounding very synthesized at points), but at a few points was quite moving. This might be one of those shows that I looks forward to the OST for for just those one or two songs, instead of an entire ensemble, as if it were done by a composer of a bigger name.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdonlan View Post
Here are the character profiles from the Japanese wikipedia. There are some minor spoilers, but probably only for the first 1-3 episodes.
Spoiler:
Ah, thank you for that -- I was pretty eager to look into more about the characters on the official site, but didn't think to check the Japanese wiki page. This one gives quite a bit more information. That being said, I was making my own guesses about the plot, and it's good to see I was on the money concerning a couple things.

*pats self on the back until it turns red*
Old 2007-03-31, 01:42   Link #35
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Spoiler for First episode thoughts:
Old 2007-03-31, 04:11   Link #36
mintyfresh
Altoid

mmm... I think Orie Kimoto played Cure Bloom..? (goes with "Saki" and all.. )
Old 2007-03-31, 12:30   Link #37
Kaoru Chujo
Yuuki Aoi

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
This is correct. I had it wrong in my blog (because ANN had it wrong) and corrected it, checking with the official site of Splash Star.

I found Wavedash's thoughts very interesting, though, particularly since they gave me a new angle on the episode. So I watched again (that makes four times, twice raw and twice with Chinese subs) and still loved the show. I think Kimoto's thin, emotional voice through most of the episode is so effective. I can imagine someone like Horie Yui or Ueda Kana doing a more assured performance, but not a more effective one.
Spoiler for the shout:
As an aside, I think it's highly likely that they tried to get Ueda Kana -- who did the lead in the director's other show, PetoPeto-san -- to do the part, but she was committed elsewhere and could only spare the time for the bit part she is playing.

As for the story, all I can say is that it moved and captivated me right from the start. Right from the preview, if the truth be told. From reading spoilers, I know it gets even stronger, but the setup in this first episode really worked for me. I already feel a bond with Mugi, and with Nono.

I think the directing generally works extremely well. I love the way he uses the hollow, distant sound of voices in the hallways of the old school, surrounded by silence, to intensify our intuition of Mugi's feelings. And there is some fascinating timing, like the suddenness of the "ja, ne" goodbye at the end of the signing scene.

I've read the first few chapters of the manga now, and it's interesting how much they changed the order of events in the first episode, which covered just a little more than chapter one of the manga.
Spoiler for manga:

Last edited by Kaoru Chujo; 2007-03-31 at 14:00.
Old 2007-04-01, 06:34   Link #38
Scribble
Sloth

Send a message via MSN to Scribble
I'm glad I actually looked up this series instead of dubbing it as "generic moe anime" like I was about to. The premise is actually pretty interesting for a slice-of-life anime - this could be a great "personal journey" type story, though I'm kind of paranoid that the "main character finding it difficult to speak" will be executed as more of a "moe" thing than "serious" thing.

The trailer was good at least, since it had a slightly down to earth type feel. I just seriously hope they don't go down the shoujo ai route - can't two girls just be close friends? In fact, all girls I know must be lesbians due to how close they are with their friends. I'm only suspicious that they will go down the shoujo ai route because one of the girls is submissive and the other is dominant.

I'm looking forward to seeing the first episode....
Old 2007-04-01, 15:45   Link #39
bdonlan
Lazy translator
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribble View Post
I'm glad I actually looked up this series instead of dubbing it as "generic moe anime" like I was about to. The premise is actually pretty interesting for a slice-of-life anime - this could be a great "personal journey" type story, though I'm kind of paranoid that the "main character finding it difficult to speak" will be executed as more of a "moe" thing than "serious" thing.
For what it's worth, in the first episode, though there was some humor from the muteness aspect, there wasn't really a moe bent to it.
Old 2007-04-01, 22:30   Link #40
Wavedash
Mayo on everything

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintyfresh View Post
Yes, thank you. I had the two mixed up. The shouting Mugi was, without a doubt, Saki v2.0 .

I don't really think the show is any more moe than anything else on TV. Well, that's not accurate; I should say it's not pushing the qualities. If it does come off as moe, I think it's the best kind - in the least assuming and least forced manner.
Closed Thread

Tags
comedy, drama, romance, seinen, slice of life