AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-02-21, 15:36   Link #141
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
i am not saying they should die but people should be planing ahead so they don't end in impossible. Animals prepare for winter by eating a lot of food to get fat. Shouldn't people know better and prepare some savings for emergencies?
Can't do that if you don't have anything to save.

Unemployment is real. Not everyone is fortunate enough to be able to have a nest egg.

Last edited by Kudryavka; 2013-02-21 at 15:48. Reason: apologies :(
Old 2013-02-21, 15:38   Link #142
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArchmageXin View Post
U.S. Law / Medical School Stuff
Here's an interesting post back from October 2012 about law schools in the U.S. I just wanted to post this to dispel a myth about "law school" and "making it!"

http://www.businessinsider.com/11-la...s-2012-10?op=1

Quote:
Just 85.6 percent of law students who earned a law degree in 2011 were employed nine months later. It's the lowest rate of employment since 1994.

For those graduates lucky enough to find themselves employed, only 55 percent of them secured "full-time, long-term jobs" that require a law degree.
I'd also add that though the article pokes at specific schools with poor employment records, I have heard significant anecdotal evidence that even graduating from Harvard Law, but not being a "star" and instead being middle or lower end of the pack will result in significant difficulty in attaining the desired "Big Law" employment.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:40   Link #143
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
One of the huge understated problem with Medical and Law is the cost of Education.

Most Law school charges ~150K (even the shitty ones) for their education.

Most medical school also go 150-250K Plus.
oh absolutely, when we had the discussion on health care back in 09. School tuition was one of the points i always bring up. It is not just the health insurance company that is jacking the price of health care but the whole system. The schools, the pharmaceutical companies, the hospital and the insurance company. Tacking one of the problems isn't going to solve the rest.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:49   Link #144
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:
Originally Posted by willx View Post
specific schools with poor employment records, I have heard significant anecdotal evidence that even graduating from Harvard Law, but not being a "star" and instead being middle or lower end of the pack will result in significant difficulty in attaining the desired "Big Law" employment.
Yeah my brother graduated from USC law school in 2011 (In recent years has had the highest pass rates for the California Bar), and has not found long term employment with his law degree. Law is over saturated right now, and is a terrible field to go into. No one is hiring.
Old 2013-02-21, 15:50   Link #145
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
oh absolutely, when we had the discussion on health care back in 09. School tuition was one of the points i always bring up. It is not just the health insurance company that is jacking the price of health care but the whole system. The schools, the pharmaceutical companies, the hospital and the insurance company. Tacking one of the problems isn't going to solve the rest.
To be fair, a lot of big parma companies end up with tons of dead ends and R&D costs, so they often has to charge what it takes to break even before their patent runs out.

If you have a disease that is common, then it is likely the cure will not be as expensive.

If you have one that is deadly but happen one in a million. Good luck. Only way a cure exists is it was discovered by accident and not a research project, then expect to pay through the anus for it after.

Another problem with Law/Medical school is a HUGE % of their budget actually goes into University overhead, particularly to subsidize majors that lack huge endowments or expensive (Classic history, Ancient literature, and in certain cases, some engineering majors that are highly equipment intensive)

One law dean commented he would dance nude in the street if he can get 10% of his institutions charged to students, put that in prospective, the actual cost of Law degree at his school should be less than $16,000 for 3 years! O_O
Old 2013-02-21, 15:52   Link #146
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reckoner View Post
Yeah my brother graduated from USC law school in 2011 (In recent years has had the highest pass rates for the California Bar), and has not found long term employment with his law degree. Law is over saturated right now, and is a terrible field to go into. No one is hiring.
cousin just got married and his wife will be graduating form corporate law this summer.

what is the market on end of the legal job market?
Old 2013-02-21, 15:58   Link #147
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
cousin just got married and his wife will be graduating form corporate law this summer.

If he did not get an offer @ Sept-Nov of his 3L (3rd Year) he is in for a brutal time when he come out.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:00   Link #148
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Quote:

As far as I know, not good. Unless you are graduating towards the top of your class, or are specialized somewhere (Something like patent law), you're going to just have a tough time.

Of course, it's all about who you know as well. Law is very much a family/friends business.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:01   Link #149
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
If he did not get an offer @ Sept-Nov of his 3L (3rd Year) he is in for a brutal time when he come out.
HER

he is a psychologist. Still doing his internship. both got married a couple of weeks ago.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:11   Link #150
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
You know, I'd like to ask non-American posters what they think of the overall situation. I assume there is a distinct fear that extremist elements have taken over this country which would be a threat to other nations as well. In your view, how has the shift been for the past few years? What would be something you would not want to happen at any cost?

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-21, 16:17   Link #151
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Archon_Wing View Post
You know, I'd like to ask non-American posters what they think of the overall situation. I assume there is a distinct fear that extremist elements have taken over this country which would be a threat to other nations as well. In your view, how has the shift been for the past few years? What would be something you would not want to happen at any cost?
Destruction of Universities.

When Mao came to power, he accused the College Professors in China to be vanguards of "right wing" capitalist forces, and many schools were burned, professors were humiliated, stoned to death or imprisoned. It became a lost generation.

We Chinese know how it worked out. Believe me, you guys don't need a repeat here no matter what you think of "Ivy tower left-elitism"
Old 2013-02-21, 16:23   Link #152
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Actually, what's the prospects for Engineers in the US? I hear it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Where are things "booming"?
Old 2013-02-21, 16:28   Link #153
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Actually, what's the prospects for Engineers in the US? I hear it's a bit of a mixed bag.

Where are things "booming"?
depends on what type of engineer you are but the market is good for any type of engineers (except civil) can find a good job in the US. Especially if you are young.

Texas/Midwest and Dakotas need oil engineers

The SF Bay Area always have room good/young comp engineers.

Seattle and LA still has a good market for electrical and mechanical engineers.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:31   Link #154
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
depends on what type of engineer you are but the market is good for any type of engineers (except civil) can find a good job in the US. Especially if you are young.

Texas/Midwest and Dakotas need oil engineers

The SF Bay Area always have room good/young comp engineers.

Seattle and LA still has a good market for electrical and mechanical engineers.
NYC+Boston look for Comp sci to power their big trading machines. I have a client consist of 2 girls in their mid-20s and their chinese engineer who develop a trading strategy that exploit NYSE rules and makes about $350,000 a month post expenses.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:32   Link #155
willx
Nyaaan~~

Quote:

When Mao came to power, he accused the College Professors in China to be vanguards of "right wing" capitalist forces, and many schools were burned, professors were humiliated, stoned to death or imprisoned. It became a lost generation.

We Chinese know how it worked out. Believe me, you guys don't need a repeat here no matter what you think of "Ivy tower left-elitism"
Agree. I worry the most about Anti-intellectualism the most which, albeit not in lockstep, appears to not be mutually exclusive with the advent of conservative radical evangelism. Combined with increasing household debt and bleak economic prospects for years and decades to come also makes me worry about civil unrest and the breakdown of the fabric of society. I'm also Canadian so I share a pretty big border with those guys down south ..

Quote:
NYC+Boston look for Comp sci to power their big trading machines. I have a client consist of 2 girls in their mid-20s and their chinese engineer who develop a trading strategy that exploit NYSE rules and makes about $350,000 a month post expenses.
Oh dear, what strategy is that? Then again .. $35k x 12 = $420,000 a year split between 3 people ($140K) doesn't seem like a lot, especially after taxes.. Now if it is scalable ..
Old 2013-02-21, 16:34   Link #156
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

basically unless you planning to move to the middle of nowhere (ie, iowa) there is always a job on the coastal states for a young engineer.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:35   Link #157
ArchmageXin
Master of Coin

Quote:
basically unless you planning to move to the middle of nowhere (ie, iowa) there is always a job on the coastal states for a young engineer.
Mechanical is pretty down though (Unless u want to fix cars or build bombs for the U.S Mil), Aerospace for the same reason. Military research for a similar reason.
Old 2013-02-21, 16:36   Link #158
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Quote:

Interesting how the extremes of both sides leads to anti-intellectualism and violence.

For us, that would definitely be the GOP that encourages such behavior. There is no doubt that Democrats partake in such idiocy, but the GOP is frequently the active one in defining their own definition of common sense and morality, and the one size fits all concept, of which alternate narratives are not acceptable. And of their Right narrative, they don't need to prove anything or be held accountable to anyone-- pure blind faith. They can be adequately summarized as populist fearmongers that prey on the insecurities of people.

It is smart to create enemies out of nowhere, to make people paranoid and think that the fearmonger is the only one they can trust. That type of person I despise the most, because they can do far more damage than a bunch of pretentious liberals.

Neocons are the scum of the earth, and lumping conservatives in with them just makes it even more insulting.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2013-02-21, 16:46   Link #159
GDB

Quote:
Oh dear, what strategy is that? Then again .. $35k x 12 = $420,000 a year split between 3 people ($140K) doesn't seem like a lot, especially after taxes.. Now if it is scalable ..
350, not 35. Also, I'll gladly take 140k a year. Please. What kind of crystal palace do you live in if 140k isn't much for doing very little work?
Old 2013-02-21, 16:49   Link #160
kyp275
Meh

Quote:
I believe you missed a zero there, it's 350k, not 35k

Thought I have to say I have my doubts about the reliability of these trading incomes, and if they ARE that reliable, the legality
Closed Thread