AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Old 2007-11-23, 17:00   Link #1
Sety
Lost in your Eyes~~~

French law banning all piracy?

Saw this as a rather major bit of news especially for the French members at least. Given what Animesuki specializes in I'm wondering how it could effect future laws in other countries.

Quote:
French web users caught pirating movies or music could soon be thrown offline.

Those illegally sharing files will face the loss of their net access thanks to a newly-created anti-piracy body granted the wide-ranging powers.

The anti-piracy body comes out of a deal agreed by France's music and movie makers and its net firms.

The group who brokered the deal said the measures were intended to curb casual piracy rather than tackle large scale pirate groups.
Read this link for more.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7110024.stm
Sety is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 17:04   Link #2
mist2123
Banned

Send a message via AIM to mist2123
I've read this on yahoo news but its impossible to ban piracy Online.
mist2123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 17:26   Link #3
NightShade
Above and Beyond Fan

Send a message via MSN to NightShade
They actually could ban a lot of it.... ISPs knows what are you downloading and everything.... well they can if they want xD
NightShade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-23, 17:29   Link #4
kitto-chan
很快是工程師

I believe only if the movies are under the protection of the French government. IE. any shows not license by a company located in France, the French government should and could not be consider piracy since no company in France has claim to is.
kitto-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 04:02   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

O those wacky French....
Old 2007-11-24, 04:56   Link #6
minhtam1638
Missing In Action

Send a message via AIM to minhtam1638
I'm looking at the consequences, and the only effect I see hurting the user would be that future episodes cannot be downloaded. Strange, since the damage has already been done.
minhtam1638 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 05:15   Link #7
genryou
The ______ maker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via Yahoo to genryou
well, the law could prevent the damage from spreading...
genryou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 10:13   Link #8
WanderingKnight
Gregory House
*IT Support

Send a message via MSN to WanderingKnight
Well, I've heard all sorts of awful things about Sarkozy's approach towards IT in general... especially the conclusion that free software for the most part may violate the copyright holders' rights and that software patents are the way to innovate... So I wouldn't be surprised if his administration pulled something like this out of the blue

Place them in a box until a quieter time | Lights down, you up and die.
WanderingKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 10:50   Link #9
Hotaru Suzume
Ten oorlog!
*Artist

Quote:
The group who brokered the deal said the measures were intended to curb casual piracy rather than tackle large scale pirate groups.
I s'pose AnimeSuki counts as a large-scale pirate group, so we should be fine, lol.

Jokes aside, no ruling body can completely eliminate any type of crime... "The more rules are made, the more criminals there will be". I wonder how they'd go about taking people offline, 'cause banning IPs won't hinder anyone with access to multiple computers and a memory stick, much. xD And they'd get complaints from other people who use the same computers.
Hotaru Suzume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 13:55   Link #10
Silasj
SOS団 Member

Send a message via AIM to Silasj Send a message via MSN to Silasj
That's so french
Old 2007-11-24, 17:46   Link #11
Ending

I guess this means that the there will no longer be any Internets for the french people. Not that I'm sad or anything.
Ending is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 18:21   Link #12
User65554
Disabled By Request

Can't say I'm suprised, coming from Sarkozy's France.

Although, what's in it for the ISP? They're giveing information that will lose them customers, so I'm curious what the agreement between them and the music and film makers was.
User65554 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 18:31   Link #13
High_Lord_Demonix
King of Nothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
O those wacky French....
HEY I was gonna say that no fair stealing my lines
High_Lord_Demonix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 19:04   Link #14
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightShade View Post
They actually could ban a lot of it.... ISPs knows what are you downloading and everything.... well they can if they want xD
This would depend on how they regulate it. I'm sure everyone is downloading illegal materials from the internet, the ISPs know it, but until there's a law governing on what is lowly rated to what is instant ban, it'll stay the same.

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-24, 19:08   Link #15
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aoie_Emesai View Post
This would depend on how they regulate it. I'm sure everyone is downloading illegal materials from the internet, the ISPs know it, but until there's a law governing on what is lowly rated to what is instant ban, it'll stay the same.
Well, from what I could make out, it seems that for downloading copyrighted material (films, music, etc), you will be warned once and then banned. This agreement was between the film+music industry and the ISPs, so chances are thats what it'll affect. No idea how it will effect non-French copyrighted material (such as anime or even foriegn music).
Old 2007-11-25, 05:59   Link #16
Miles Teg

Quote:
Originally Posted by VK-Pitt View Post
Well, from what I could make out, it seems that for downloading copyrighted material (films, music, etc), you will be warned once and then banned. This agreement was between the film+music industry and the ISPs, so chances are thats what it'll affect. No idea how it will effect non-French copyrighted material (such as anime or even foriegn music).
The anti-piracy body will be the one to find the "pirate" and send to them the different mail (through your ISP) and the ISP will do everything they can to help the anti-piracy body,

If the anti-piracy body, want to put a filter on a protocol (Bittorent for example) or to completely cut off a website then the ISP will have to obey has fast as possible (a judge will have to give an authorization for that).

You will be warned twice by e-mail, once by mail and after that you will be banned (some time before that your internet will be cut for a short period of time) and your name will be put on a black list.

The ISP will have to experiment all the type of filter that exist for P2P application (protocol, port...) , website or file before the end of 2009.

Kewego, Google and Dailymotion have refused to signed the deal, and all the French consumer group are against.

The only good thing in this deal is that the DRM on French music (and only French) should disappear next year.

One more thing if this deal show some sign of being able to stop piracy (I don't think that will happen :d ) then it's possible that other European country adopt the same thing.

Now we are waiting to see what the law (who is probably already written) will look like and when it will be proposed to the parliament.
Miles Teg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 06:21   Link #17
Kitsune
九尾の狐
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silasj View Post
That's so french
I agree

Ban piracy online? That's a sacrilege only said by those ones who doesn't know anything about internet, let them try if they still have any neurone on their brain maybe they will understand that is impossible ;P
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 07:37   Link #18
Eviltape

Hmm, anyone betting a French version or at least knockoff of Share/Winny/Perfect Dark will be released?
Eviltape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-11-25, 12:28   Link #19
User65554
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miles Teg View Post
One more thing if this deal show some sign of being able to stop piracy (I don't think that will happen :d ) then it's possible that other European country adopt the same thing.
Yep, Britain are considering bringing in similar laws
Old 2007-11-25, 14:24   Link #20
Sazelyt
Μ ε r c ü r υ

That is strange.

I would not be surprised, if they have targeted the people who are mainly downloading non-French stuff.

I also wouldn't be surprised if people uploading French stuff to other parts of the world would be awarded directly by the Government for their contribution to the spread of the French culture.

But, making no separation is definitely something to surprise about, at least for me.
Sazelyt is offline   Reply With Quote