AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2010-09-15, 10:24   Link #321
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

so FF xiv is not intended for casual gamer? XD I played a little on the beta(only around 3 hour) and thought it was pretty fun lol. I guess I'll wait a little while for a review to see if it's casual gamer friendly or not since I don't have as much time to play games anymore now XD
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 10:32   Link #322
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Its intended to be a more casual. Gamer friendly, but not by much. Ffxiv is no wow where u just climb a short ladder to get to the top and start farming a instance over and over to get gear. You gotta either make them, get a lucky chest drop or complete missions (for decent gear) the good stuff comes from effort.

Grinding? Everything is grinding, even RL is grinding. Its all depends on how good they hide it. Where WOW utterly fails. The only thing that kept me from getting the best gear in wow is repeating the same annoying instances over and over.

In mmo's Pvp is a joke and overrated ego. Nothin but who can be the cheapest. If I want pvp I just go play halo or mw2 that take non cheap skill. Only way to be cheap in those are broken weapons, campers are only cheap to poor skilled players, a simple granade fixes campers.

Most of the time jumping is overrated in mmo's

Ffxiv has story, and a good onee like most mmo.

btw guys their fixing a lot of stuff so complain when you play the RELEASED version. and the combat is hardly slow. Not stupidly fast like WoW's but not slow.

Last edited by Kyero Fox; 2010-09-15 at 11:26.
Kyero Fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 14:56   Link #323
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

I've actually played a bit of the Beta, and it was enough to cancel my pre-order on the game. Final Fantasy XIV is decent, and defenitly a step up from XI, however its not worth $12 a month for me, especially with Square Enix's inane "each additional character costs you more per month" thing.
Old 2010-09-15, 15:28   Link #324
Zekori

It makes sense in theory, but it honestly should be 1 character per server. Not globally; but some could argue you don't really need more than one character and adding an extra makes it the same sub cost as wow.

A lot of people I know have higher expectations of FFXIV now, almost enough to either keep interested, even myself. This is coming from someone with very negative criticism towards open beta.

Right now the major thing hurting FFXIV is the lack of communication between EU/NA player bases and the dev team/design team. With horrible interviews when given the chance about the stupidest decisions such as asking stuff about marriage between characters or other inane things when there were more pressing problems at hand. (Seriously Google it)

Squeenix managed to salvage some respect with its waiting playerbase when they admitted that The Vision was flawed, and they're going to have to make adjustments to the game if it wants to be successful.

Realistically speaking FFXIV has the potential to be a good game, it won't be the next best thing at launch but neither were many other major hit MMO's such as Eve or WoW; having Alpha tested WoW's and gone through its beta's to retail it was pretty much on par with FFXI as we see the only major comparison we had though were games like diablo, eq, runescape, and such to compare though.

Also for previous comments, mmo-rpg is a genre, making mmo's is hard with a new formula functionality and business wise. Nearly all mmo-rpg games are in some way a clone of each other, no not dnd clones, but over all play the same because it's the RPG Genre as we know, hack and slack auto attack of diablo and random korean games and so on.

MMO pvp can be competitive, look at Eve Online. MW2 and Halo or such pvp can also be broken at times, remember some weapons were under tuned and over tuned. yatta yatta yatta, don't really feel like going to much into that direction of conversation.

Edit:

FFXIV is stated to be for Casual and hard core players, which I can see in a sense. Guild leve's (in theory) were meant to be meant for the average player that plays 2 hours at a time a day, or has a sporadic schedule to commit to playing high amounts of time (be it school, work, military, or other stuff), while there was meant to alternative means for the hard core player. The general consensus because of Squeenix's stupid concepts and ideas and the way they're handling their betas, that most quests and stuff aren't in the beta. I've known some Japanese players on Palmecia as well that think squeenix is rather bad at handling or dealing with its player base.
Zekori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 15:41   Link #325
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekori View Post
It makes sense in theory, but it honestly should be 1 character per server. Not globally; but some could argue you don't really need more than one character and adding an extra makes it the same sub cost as wow.
How does it make sense? In WoW, I believe you can have 10 characters to a server, for a total of 50 characters across all of them, and you know what, it doesn't cost you any extra. What If in FFXIV I wanted to have a character for each race? I shouldn't have to pay more for additional characters?

Aside from some of the Free-to-Play MMO's like Lord of the Rings (where you do have to buy additional character slots), I can't think of too many other subscription-based MMO that makes you pay for more characters. Its just stupid, and is really just a money grab.
Old 2010-09-15, 16:04   Link #326
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

While instead of having to make a new character to play all the classes, you get to switch jobs on the spot. Instead of being stricted to knowing only 2 professions you can do them all if you so wish

Instead of "Duuuur, me have no more memory to do Tailoring duuur"

but about "want to play all the races" just pick the race you like the most. all MMORPG's are money grabs.. what isnt?
Old 2010-09-15, 16:56   Link #327
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
I've actually played a bit of the Beta, and it was enough to cancel my pre-order on the game. Final Fantasy XIV is decent, and defenitly a step up from XI, however its not worth $12 a month for me, especially with Square Enix's inane "each additional character costs you more per month" thing.
Curious which part of FFXIV feels like it's a step up from FFXI in your opinion? imo everything is a huge step down. I know it's still only beta and the patch notes does make it sound a little more appealing.
Sassarai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 19:01   Link #328
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
While instead of having to make a new character to play all the classes, you get to switch jobs on the spot. Instead of being stricted to knowing only 2 professions you can do them all if you so wish

Instead of "Duuuur, me have no more memory to do Tailoring duuur"

but about "want to play all the races" just pick the race you like the most. all MMORPG's are money grabs.. what isnt?
I may be alone in this, but I don't like the whole "your character can be every job and class" aspect of the game as much as I thought I would. Its the one thing I like about games like WoW and other MMO's, having separate characters for each class/job. Each character becomes their own thing, so if I'm bored with one character for awhile, I can go play another different one. Its not just the same character with a different setup. I know I'm explaining this terribly, but I like having multiple characters in MMO's.

And about "picking the race I like the most". What if I like something about multiple races, I should be able to make one of each without paying more if I choose, like WoW.

And in regards to things I feel are improved in FFXIV over XI; one thing in particular comes to mind: movement speed. In FFXI characters were unbearably slow and it took forever to just move around the main towns. FFXIV has a speed of movement that seems more in line with an MMO, and its far more bearable than XI.
Old 2010-09-15, 19:58   Link #329
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

not to mention you can use other class abilities as a diffrent class

like to be a paladin like gladiator, you level up Counguer to get healing abilities.
Old 2010-09-15, 20:23   Link #330
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
And in regards to things I feel are improved in FFXIV over XI; one thing in particular comes to mind: movement speed. In FFXI characters were unbearably slow and it took forever to just move around the main towns. FFXIV has a speed of movement that seems more in line with an MMO, and its far more bearable than XI.
Yeah but FFXI was way more fun in the early stages imo. Getting chase by Orcs and develing, Ronfaure -> la tiene -> dunes was quite the scenery. Music imo is definitely better. The environment and gameplay was just a lot better. Also force grouping definitely made the trip a lot more fun.
Old 2010-09-15, 22:08   Link #331
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassarai View Post
Yeah but FFXI was way more fun in the early stages imo. Getting chase by Orcs and develing, Ronfaure -> la tiene -> dunes was quite the scenery. Music imo is definitely better. The environment and gameplay was just a lot better. Also force grouping definitely made the trip a lot more fun.
Wait, you thought de-leveling and forced-grouping were fun aspects about the game?

I do not share your tastes I suppose...FFXI was nothing but a chore in the early levels, it was in no way "fun".
Old 2010-09-15, 22:24   Link #332
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Wait, you thought de-leveling and forced-grouping were fun aspects about the game?

I do not share your tastes I suppose...FFXI was nothing but a chore in the early levels, it was in no way "fun".
Probably at the time I was begging white mages for raises lol but looking back at it those were fond memories. Escaping close deaths or getting killed by a giant NM, orc, a gang of quadavs, etc.

Force grouping I think is better because it forces you to play cooperative and meet new people. I met a ton of cool people and did a lot of fun events with.

I think I just got a lot out of the game because I did everything pretty much and had no issues with getting anything done. I assume some players find it a chore because they aren't good with dealing with others, know how to set things up, or maybe just don't have enough time irl.

Last edited by Sassarai; 2010-09-15 at 22:35.
Old 2010-09-15, 22:25   Link #333
Ichihara Asako
Horoist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyero Fox View Post
Oh my god, enough of this crap.

Obviously ffxi and ffxiv arre just too much for casual gamers. That's ok, there are plenty of easy games like WoW or Aion for that kind of gamer.
It's not a matter of being "easy" it's a matter of accessibility. The UI makes the game far clunkier than it should rightly be.

Quote:
Curious which part of FFXIV feels like it's a step up from FFXI in your opinion? imo everything is a huge step down. I know it's still only beta and the patch notes does make it sound a little more appealing.
I think it's a step up in every way, from what I've seen so far. Depends what you want out of the game though I suppose.

Quote:
Delevelling and grouping definitely made the older generation of MMOs better. Without punishment for death there was no fear of it. Losing huge chunks of XP, going on corpse runs or the possibility of losing gear made people a lot more careful in yesteryear. It led to a generally higher skill level.

As for forced grouping, I miss it. The recent spate of MMOs have been too solo centric, making grouping entirely optional and unnecessary, which kind of defeats the point of "MM". It also created far better communities with people interacting intelligently lest they be entirely shunned by people. The likes of WoW have made people in to blithering idiots who just faceroll their keyboards, queue for instagroups that magically teleport you to them and out of them, so people don't even learn the world. It's disappointing.

I had hope for XIV bringing back some of the oldschool feel, with an improved UI over XI's epic failure, but they still have the same console-centric design (despite console release being much delayed) which is a huge turnoff to me. If they just used a real interface I'd probably buy it.
Ichihara Asako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-15, 22:48   Link #334
Sassarai
Army of One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post

I think it's a step up in every way, from what I've seen so far. Depends what you want out of the game though I suppose.

I want..

1)Memorable places - so far a ton of complaints on how bland and copy/paste everything is.

2)Fun battle system - Surplus- It doesn't seem like something I'll like and the controls on the keyboard is horrible. Plus fighting hares, sheeps, plants, etc needs to change. FFXI had goblins, orcs, quadavs, etc that were better so I expected more creative monsters for a game that's 5-6 years newer. Throw in some beastmen!

3) Force grouping but make it so it's not as strict on what type of jobs are needed. I hate having to wait an hour or so just so there was a red mage available in ffxi.

4) Music - All of FFXIs tune were memorable to me while I don't care for any of FFXIVs atm.

It's still beta so I'm hoping things will improve but I'll probably wait till I hear more positive reviews on it before I buy.
Old 2010-09-15, 22:55   Link #335
Spitfire
Mr. Bushido

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichihara Asako View Post
Delevelling and grouping definitely made the older generation of MMOs better. Without punishment for death there was no fear of it. Losing huge chunks of XP, going on corpse runs or the possibility of losing gear made people a lot more careful in yesteryear. It led to a generally higher skill level.

As for forced grouping, I miss it. The recent spate of MMOs have been too solo centric, making grouping entirely optional and unnecessary, which kind of defeats the point of "MM". It also created far better communities with people interacting intelligently lest they be entirely shunned by people. The likes of WoW have made people in to blithering idiots who just faceroll their keyboards, queue for instagroups that magically teleport you to them and out of them, so people don't even learn the world. It's disappointing.

I had hope for XIV bringing back some of the oldschool feel, with an improved UI over XI's epic failure, but they still have the same console-centric design (despite console release being much delayed) which is a huge turnoff to me. If they just used a real interface I'd probably buy it.
Well, I'm glad someone got enjoyment out of the many aspects of FFXI I hated. I can udnerstand that forced-grouping increased the social aspect of the game, and de-leveling adds a new level of challenge and avoidance of death, however, I personally did not enjoy those aspects of the game. They made it somewhat of a chore to play, and really made the game tedious and boring. In short, I did not have fun with the game, and isn't that what I'm paying $12 a month for; to have fun playing the game? If I wanted something monotonous and unenjoyable, well...I wouldn't play a video game now would I?
Old 2010-09-15, 23:29   Link #336
Kyero Fox
Tastes Cloudy

Quote:
I want..

1)Memorable places - so far a ton of complaints on how bland and copy/paste everything is.

2)Fun battle system - Surplus- It doesn't seem like something I'll like and the controls on the keyboard is horrible. Plus fighting hares, sheeps, plants, etc needs to change. FFXI had goblins, orcs, quadavs, etc that were better so I expected more creative monsters for a game that's 5-6 years newer. Throw in some beastmen!

3) Force grouping but make it so it's not as strict on what type of jobs are needed. I hate having to wait an hour or so just so there was a red mage available in ffxi.

4) Music - All of FFXIs tune were memorable to me while I don't care for any of FFXIVs atm.

It's still beta so I'm hoping things will improve but I'll probably wait till I hear more positive reviews on it before I buy.
get past lvl 20 and you'll be fighting ogres and drakes.

the UI is being tweaked and whats so bad about the areas? they look good imo, you need to get to high levels to get the cool shit.
Old 2010-09-16, 04:02   Link #337
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

How about the skill graphical effect? I never played FFXI so I didn't know. Was the skill graphical effect flashy and cool? XD. This is one aspect of WoW and tons of other 3d RPG that I thought lacking, the skill to me looks really bland. I understand that flashy spell would make people lag like hell, but I always enjoy having flashy skill more than not having one XD
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-09-16, 12:00   Link #338
Sakuranbo
So Like A Rose

I still have high hopes that FFXIV will be my first MMO the graphics are nice even though the playable characters look like rehashed versions of their XI counterparts, which is okay because it's looking like a pretty amazing game so far.
Old 2010-09-16, 12:07   Link #339
synaesthetic
blinded by blood
*Author

Send a message via AIM to synaesthetic
Ah well, it's probably for the best that this game is just more of the same. I don't need another psychologically-addictive grindfest sapping my soul away while I'm trying to go to college.

I'd really like to see an MMORPG actually use the strength of a persistent world--a little world, a sandbox, where the players can essentially do whatever they want.
Old 2010-09-16, 13:20   Link #340
deltaxxmintpie
Cake lover Cookie ninja

Too much whinning and crying when the game is far from final. Surely you ought to spend much more time to look past the skin and appreciate the true depth, something I doubt beta time can offer.

I'll get the game when its released on PC then I'll decide whether its worth subbing.

Tags
mmorpg