AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Horizon

Notices

Old 2011-10-21, 00:31   Link #1021
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen View Post
I'm pretty if Evangelion was created 10+ years later in our modern era it would never be as well received as it had thanks to Internet
Anime didn't have the acceptance then that it does now. And yes, this does strike me as fan service anime.
Old 2011-10-21, 00:41   Link #1022
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
Anime didn't have the acceptance then that it does now.
Anime didn't have the trolls, whiners and flame-throwers with global connection as it does now either

People used to take their contempt and swallow it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lightsenshi View Post
And yes, this does strike me as fan service anime.
A show with fanservice is not a Fanservice-show

We still have a story going on here.
Chaos2Frozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 00:43   Link #1023
lightsenshi
Author

Quote:
Anime didn't have the trolls, whiners and flame-throwers with global connection as it does now either People take their contempt and swallow it.
There is that, too.
Old 2011-10-21, 01:41   Link #1024
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Ah! kids these days, whoever disagrees with you is a hater, troll, or whatever.

Look, if I (as well most here) need a novel reader to send 20 links for persuading me that the adaption is focusing in something else rather than butts and tits, sorry in my book, that goes as the adaption failed to capture the plot.

As for why Laine is good and none complained... first a ton of assholes complained, but Laine was not having a butt-shot / close up on an oversized rack / a jerk acting like... well, a jerk / a naked djinni (or whatever that is) / an indian caricature / lesbians / etc. every scene, featured <5 and not 20+ main characters, developed both the setting and characters extensively, referenced excellent pieces of contemporary art, designs and artwork were amazing for its time, built up an amazing atmosphere, was consistent to its theme... but most importantly it was thought provoking and spawned endless discussions in a very rough medium at the time called internet*

* which at that time had only trolls, haters, etc. since the rest of the today's mainstream consumption base (of this product) was either not born, old enough, or had it in it to go into all the trouble to access it
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 01:44   Link #1025
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malkuth View Post
Hey the reverse holds true, whoever defends a show is a mindless fanboy
Old 2011-10-21, 01:48   Link #1026
Malkuth
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Malkuth
Quote:
Hey the reverse holds true, whoever defends a show is a mindless fanboy
No, he/she/they are not, I understand why they are so passionate, but I never called or implied that they are neither mindless nor fanboys
Malkuth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 01:55   Link #1027
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:

Look, if I (as well most here) need a novel reader to send 20 links for persuading me that the adaption is focusing in something else rather than butts and tits, sorry in my book, that goes as the adaption failed to capture the plot.

As for why Laine is good and none complained... first a ton of assholes complained, but Laine was not having a butt-shot / close up on an oversized rack / a jerk acting like... well, a jerk / a naked djinni (or whatever that is) / an indian caricature / lesbians / etc. every scene, featured <5 and not 20+ main characters, developed both the setting and characters extensively, referenced excellent pieces of contemporary art, designs and artwork were amazing for its time, built up an amazing atmosphere, was consistent to its theme... but most importantly it was thought provoking and spawned endless discussions in a very rough medium at the time called internet*

* which at that time had only trolls, haters, etc. since the rest of the today's mainstream consumption base (of this product) was either not born, old enough, or had it in it to go into all the trouble to access it
Stop watching then. Either that or stop thread shitting/hijacking please. Preferably both would be pretty awesome. If you're tired of boobs and butts and attractive girls you can just go back to watching Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai....wait....
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 02:06   Link #1028
Aoi Toori
KISEKI da yo!!

hm..

it is not that the anime/adaptation fail, but some people just can't graps the story/plot (then complain that this is just a fanservice anime because they dont understand anything) because they're too busy paying attention to boobs and butts.

that's why I have to give them that many links to read, if they're really want to understand the story~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama
Stop watching then. Either that or stop thread shitting/hijacking please
second that. unless he just want to bash on this show since the beginning

Last edited by Aoi Toori; 2011-10-21 at 02:18.
Aoi Toori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 02:26   Link #1029
mangatron
worshipping the pantyhose

What happened to this thread at first I thought "ooh over 1000 posts, everyone loves the girls" but then I realized, if my internet was any better, I might have destroyed this further with more waifu talk

Let's just accept the fact that there are some fanservice scenes. Like it was mentioned earlier, look at my avatar. The camera angle, the center focus, the fact this angle was sustained for the duration of her lines, just proves that... I like that scene *runs*

So I enjoy the girls rather than trying to figure out why they dress the way they do. For example, I didn't know the blind girl was...blind. Finally a character whose hair covered their eyes for a good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duo Maxwell View Post
I don't remember people making a fuss at the first few eps of Lain, or Madlax either, so why now?
You... must not have spent time in the other side of the internet. During Madlax's broadcast run, I lived in the Animenation forum. You know what drove me insanely nutty?

"omg Noir ripoff" "Madlax sucks because it's copying Noir" "Noir ripoff" "lol Noir's better" "Huh I don't understand" "Noir ripoff" "confusing, dropped" "Noir ripoff"

Yes it was repeated several times over, yes the sane few of us tried to enjoy it for what it was and not bring Noir into the mix, and yes, after they deleted a large portion of the forums to "Americanize" (clever true translation of their wording) it, I left the place.
mangatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 02:42   Link #1030
Aoi Toori
KISEKI da yo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mangatron View Post
Let's just accept the fact that there are some fanservice scenes. Like it was mentioned earlier, look at my avatar. The camera angle, the center focus, the fact this angle was sustained for the duration of her lines, just proves that... I like that scene *runs*
I agree with you. yes, this show has fanservice, heck even series like doraemon has fanservice

and I will quote Chaos2Frozen's word
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos2Frozen

We still have a story going on here.
Old 2011-10-21, 02:58   Link #1031
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
So got to watch the TAN broadcast of the 3rd episode just now. It's still pretty slow paced, but I appreciate the character development. It amuses me that Margot essentially spends her free time hustling racers from Tres Espana and acting as a delivery girl. Her laid back attitude was much more amusing this time around and I dare say I'm starting to not mind her character or the other witches that much anymore. Also got a laugh out of Tori basically spending all day going back and forth between the entrance to the Remorse Way and a post while everyone plans for the awesome party that night.

Masazumi getting her room mate and basically being treated as if she's a boy was also amusing if a bit strange and kind of unfortunate. It's weird, because I can't see her as a boy, but for all intents and purposes she is one now and that presents complications in sharing a room with someone you'd think was the same sex, but they seemed to hit it off pretty early. Her crippled roomate claims to like dense and earnest people, which seems to be par for the course considering that their leader perfectly fits that bill. Speaking of which, we kind of get an indication that there's more to him than just the goof ball perve and that it's his compassionate personality lurking just beneath the surface of a very fucked up and traumatized individual that leads them to support the guy.

Also fucked up is yet another tragic backstory, this time for Tori. The author once again reveals his keen sense of word play with the whole Tori's Remorse (Remorse Way) aspect as well as a continuing theme of parents fucking up their children's live in this show or in this case outright ending it. To be killed by your own fathers carriage while probably never even having met him let alone knowing he's your father is pretty fucked up, and to think that's the same guy we saw last episode who seems to be scheming up something again. The fact that it all happened ten years ago on the day after the one this episode takes place on and that the way this show keeps hinting at replays and what not and that they'll again be entering Mikawa airspace has me expecting some sort of bombshell to drop next episode like the director has promised. The number of hints they are dropping and the amount of foreshadowing reached it's peak this episode and the show is all but telling you, "hey, these care free times are coming to and end and possibly the world too". With what looks like an attack on the K.P.A faction by one of Motonobu's maid things I think we can expect a war declaration any time now too.

Also, is it me or did the creators decide this universe should have it's own dialect to add to the personality of the setting. I keep hearing people say, "judge" as a sort of general affirmation to a question, but are there others that I've missed? It's a bit of a neat touch.
Kaioshin Sama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 03:39   Link #1032
Chaos2Frozen
We're Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Masazumi getting her room mate and basically being treated as if she's a boy was also amusing if a bit strange and kind of unfortunate. It's weird, because I can't see her as a boy, but for all intents and purposes she is one now and that presents complications in sharing a room with someone you'd think was the same sex, but they seemed to hit it off pretty early. Her crippled roomate claims to like dense and earnest people, which seems to be par for the course considering that their leader perfectly fits that bill. Speaking of which, we kind of get an indication that there's more to him than just the goof ball perve and that it's his compassionate personality lurking just beneath the surface of a very fucked up and traumatized individual that leads them to support the guy.
WAIT WAIT WAIT- There's something very wrong with this paragraph

That's not Masazumi getting a roommate, that's Azuma, and he is a real boy and the son of the [Mikado].
Old 2011-10-21, 05:54   Link #1033
Myname

This is confusing. Are all those ships the MCs live considered one "city" or "state" or whatever the hell they call it?

And why are there angels, devils, mecha dragons, etc. all living together like it's normal?
Myname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 05:59   Link #1034
serpiente

Quote:
WAIT WAIT WAIT- There's something very wrong with this paragraph

That's not Masazumi getting a roommate, that's Azuma, and he is a real boy and the son of the [Mikado].
Yeah Bright Noah, what was that ? Just dont call Camille "Amuro"!
serpiente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 06:05   Link #1035
ninja_pintu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
And why are there angels, devils, mecha dragons, etc. all living together like it's normal?
That's because this show takes place light years in future and humans have already been to "heaven"
Old 2011-10-21, 06:51   Link #1036
Morisato

There seem to be too many character archetypes overlapping.

Blue haired characters in particular. Most of them are the stoic, serious type.
Morisato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-10-21, 06:51   Link #1037
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:

Don't get me wrong, the novel might be great, but the moment we need a reader to answer a shit-load of questions that the anime has not... well, there isn't anything remaining in the anime than action and boobs... sorry
You realize how long a single volume is right....? Give it time .....
Old 2011-10-21, 07:36   Link #1038
Aoi Toori
KISEKI da yo!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myname View Post
This is confusing. Are all those ships the MCs live considered one "city" or "state" or whatever the hell they call it?
copy paste from Horizon wiki :

Musashi

The only independent territory in the Far East, and where the main characters reside; an airship city. There are two ships in the middle, flanked by 3 ships on each side, for a total of 8 ships, over 7 kilometers in length overall. It is currently allied with Mikawa, the capital city of the Far East.

and blu-ray vol 2~

http://genesis-horizon.net/products/bd_vol2.html
Old 2011-10-21, 11:03   Link #1039
Dark Wing

Quote:
Well technicality it is fan-service for the novel reader over in japan

But it's not extreme to point where you have to have a panty shot ever 3 minutes...
Old 2011-10-21, 11:12   Link #1040
articuzwolf
Wolf in Sheep's Clothing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Also, is it me or did the creators decide this universe should have it's own dialect to add to the personality of the setting. I keep hearing people say, "judge" as a sort of general affirmation to a question, but are there others that I've missed? It's a bit of a neat touch.
yeah, I think they use jud./judge/judgement to confirm something (maybe replacing yes, ok, affirmative, that's right, etc)

actually it sounds cool

Tags
action, fantasy, science fiction, sunrise