AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2012-05-21, 03:58   Link #1041
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
And that's why KyoAni and Kadokawa should at least sometimes put their existing fans/customers first.
But KyoAni have put their existing customers first, the existing customers of their biggest fanbase by far.

2009 - K-ON! 13 Episodes.
2010 - K-ON!! 26 Episodes
2011 - K-ON! Movie + BD/DVD Special included with the last volume of K-ON!!

Haruhi

S1 - 41k
S2 - 19k
Movie - 800 million + Yen during its cinema airing, 130K on BD/DVD

K-ON!

S1 - 43k
S2 - 40k
Movie - Over 2 billion Yen during its run in cinemas, will probably sell over 200K when released on BD/DVD with ease.

KyoAni are looking after their fans, unfortunately for you it's not the property you want so qq. If you want to see a studio churn out stuff from 2-3 properties for 3-4 years straight than go fanboy SHAFT instead. At least Sankarea and Tasogare Otome x Amnesia are giving us shows you would expect from SHAFT (except with much better animation lol) while SHAFT are being ANIPLEX's bitch.

Edit - Maybe late to the party but whatever... in regards to the SHAFT like touches in Hyouka...

http://aninomiyako.wordpress.com/201...t-work-part-1/

Also anyone know which Inuyasha episodes KyoAni did for Sunrise?

Last edited by Westlo; 2012-05-21 at 04:21.
Old 2012-05-21, 05:29   Link #1042
rulfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
Needs a better quality.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:09   Link #1043
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
*snip*
Looks a whole lot more interesting than Hyouka. I wonder why they just didn't make a full anime out of this if they put so much effort into advertising the novel.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:14   Link #1044
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Novel may not have enough source material yet. Also, they may want to build up the novel, so that a future anime adaptation has a bigger "seeded market" to harness.
Old 2012-05-21, 08:17   Link #1045
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempester View Post
Looks a whole lot more interesting than Hyouka. I wonder why they just didn't make a full anime out of this if they put so much effort into advertising the novel.
Pessimisitic and likely realistic answer: Won't make $$$

But my god does that look good. Reminds me of the insane quality that the "K" Trailer portrayed by Studio GoHands.
Old 2012-05-21, 22:01   Link #1046
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
I like how this thread can't seem to decide whether Kyoani is a "For the art" studio or one that's purely after the dough. It almost seems like it's whichever makes them look better at any given point in the conversation.
Old 2012-05-22, 02:19   Link #1047
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

The two are hardly mutually exclusive in this case. Based on what I've seen, KyoAni's main strategy has been treating moe anime as more than just niche, cheaply made advertising for the source material. They've been doing the moe with high production values thing longer than pretty much anyone else and with K-On's second season and Hyouka, they've been developing a more naturalistic, less otaku targetted approach to the genre as well. It's both a artistic strategy and a business one, and I don't think some missteps along the way change that.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-05-22, 03:46   Link #1048
Warm Mist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
I like how this thread can't seem to decide whether Kyoani is a "For the art" studio or one that's purely after the dough. It almost seems like it's whichever makes them look better at any given point in the conversation.
Did The Beatles make music "for the art", or for the money?

There lies your answer.
Old 2012-05-22, 04:21   Link #1049
C.A.
Absolute Haruhist!
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shergal View Post
Did The Beatles make music "for the art", or for the money?

There lies your answer.
The answer doesn't seem to to lie here.

Comparing a whole studio to a band doesn't seem appropriate.

In a studio, its the producers who control the money and the projects, they decide which anime to make and they don't make the anime themselves. For the Beatles, they are the producers and they make their own music.

Studio producers are always about the money, they make sure that their studio gets paid first above anything else.

The Beatles started out as an amateur band because they love music, And after they became the Beatles, they became so rich they don't need to care about their money all they need to do is do their art.

As John Lennon said himself, "Its all about the music.", he's a guy who's goal in life is to be happy and not to make money.
When I say 'My god...', god refers to Haruhi-sama.

My art album updated 11th May 2013, Science.
Deviant Art: http://ca0001.deviantart.com/
Old 2012-05-22, 06:44   Link #1050
Tempester
Japanese Culture Fan

Quote:
Okay, in retrospect, that was a rather stupid post I made.

Maybe it's just my jealousy, but I just feel that KyoAni's being a little pretentious with this advertisement. It's like they're screaming "Look at what we can do! Action and swordfights! Aren't we awesome? You're not getting anything like this, though. Too bad." I get a similar feeling from their advertisements for their studio, which are bursting with movement and creativity that are lacking from their actual projects.
Old 2012-05-22, 08:30   Link #1051
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

KyoAni have been known to reject projects in the past, because it would compromise their "quality" focus. So I'd say they do take pride in doing quality work. Whether it's artistic work is another matter. Some of the flourishes in Hyouka are pretty artistic...

On the other hand, look at SHAFT, often pretty low quality, but very artistic. Though they've been improving a lot of late.
Old 2012-05-22, 10:35   Link #1052
Kaioshin Sama
Banned

Send a message via MSN to Kaioshin Sama
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
KyoAni have been known to reject projects in the past, because it would compromise their "quality" focus. So I'd say they do take pride in doing quality work. Whether it's artistic work is another matter. Some of the flourishes in Hyouka are pretty artistic...

On the other hand, look at SHAFT, often pretty low quality, but very artistic. Though they've been improving a lot of late.
Got an example?

@outofxzero: Hyouka I'll give you but K-On less otaku oriented? Granted it isn't constantly referencing otaku stuff, but it seems pretty damn targetted with moe otaku heavily in mind. Now I'm sure somebody will come tearing in here and quote me some sales statistics and try to illustrate how they show it must have appealed more broadly but frankly I just don't see it. In fact I'd argue that Hyouka boring as I find it feels like the first attempt by Kyoani since Second Raid to reach out beyond their moe otaku base.

Last edited by Kaioshin Sama; 2012-05-22 at 10:47.
Old 2012-05-22, 10:46   Link #1053
TJR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
There's definite pride that stems all the way from the top. However, I'd also add that emphasizing quality is a business strategy in itself (just as high capacity and prompt turnaround times are strategies employed by some other companies).
Old 2012-05-22, 11:13   Link #1054
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaioshin Sama View Post
Now I'm sure somebody will come tearing in here and quote me some sales statistics and try to illustrate how they show it must have appealed more broadly but frankly I just don't see it.

From here

You're free to not trust survey institutes though.

Also If the Disney channel decides to air it they must think it might appeal to a non otaku audience.
Old 2012-05-22, 12:29   Link #1055
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Quote:

Maybe it's just my jealousy, but I just feel that KyoAni's being a little pretentious with this advertisement. It's like they're screaming "Look at what we can do! Action and swordfights! Aren't we awesome? You're not getting anything like this, though. Too bad." I get a similar feeling from their advertisements for their studio, which are bursting with movement and creativity that are lacking from their actual projects.
As an advertisement, it is meant to scream that. While it does get their name out to the people watching, it also yells at the producer/publisher types to say "Hey, we can do this kind of stuff if you want to hire us to do it".

Simply put, no one has asked them to make something like that yet. When someones does...well the audiance is in for a ride.
Old 2012-05-22, 12:35   Link #1056
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Kaioshin - What happened with K-On! was like striking gold when you're mining for silver. I doubt anybody intended it to appeal to real life teenage girls, but it somehow did.

0utf0xZer0 brought up the term "natural moe" to me elsewhere, and I think that's much of the secret to K-On!'s success with real life teenage girls.

Also, you have to keep in mind that just because the K-On! girls might not be like the teenage girls we see in our country of Canada doesn't mean that they aren't like the teenage girls of Japan. Maybe they really are like the teenage girls of Japan.

The sense I'm getting is that K-On! just hit a sweet spot with female audiences similar to what Sailor Moon did back when that show first came out (I know my then teenaged sisters were wild about Sailor Moon at the time).
Old 2012-05-22, 15:07   Link #1057
0utf0xZer0
Pretentious moe scholar

@Kaioshin:going to keep this short, since atm i'm on lunchbreak and only have my phone (laptop wi-fi is being flaky).

You'll notice that i specifically targetted my comment K-on's second season. Season one was fairly gag oriented, and many of those gags are based on otaku tropes. That's not surprising since it's a 4koma adaptation. Season two, on the other hand, has a lot more anime original material, and relies a lot less on these gags. It's approach to moe is a lot closer to hyouka's than k-on season one.

K-on's director once said she thought girls were naturally moe so my assumption is that the greater amount of original material in season two gave her greater leeway to pursue what i refer to as the 'natural moe' style. Which, IMHO has appeal to a broader audience than otaku gag focused moe. I got into kanon 2006 back in the day because i liked the atmosphere, not the character gags. Though apparently season one was quite popular with girls even without this approach.

Signature courtesy of Ganbaru.
Old 2012-05-22, 23:48   Link #1058
Eater of All
NOM

Quote:

Why do you seem to take this so personally? It's not like KyoAni regularly lurks these threads and, upon seeing such criticisms, go "hurr, these guys want us to do [insert anything that is not moe]; let's not do it just to spite them!" I doubt they can fathom the idea that they are wronging certain people simply because they aren't tapping into their full potential. In fact, from their perspective, they might see their generally high sales as evidence that they're choosing the right projects and satisfying their fans.

Yes, I personally think it would be great if KyoAni can tackle more "ambitious" works, but I'm not gonna lose hair over elusive things like lost opportunity or untapped potential as long as whatever they put out remains interesting to me.
Old 2012-05-23, 07:40   Link #1059
brocko

Munto confirmed to be KyoAni's next action anime!

Spoiler:

http://www.freerice.com/ - For each word you get right, 10 grains of rice is donated through the UN to help end world hunger.
Old 2012-05-23, 12:25   Link #1060
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Simply put, no one has asked them to make something like that yet. When someones does...well the audiance is in for a ride.
Fullmetal Panic! Fullmetal Panic! *goes back into hiding*

Tags
studios