AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2013-03-17, 11:30   Link #21
Okashira
どうだろうね。ふふ

Nothing lights your day like hearing that one of your favs LN is getting animated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ion475 View Post
it's no Toradora (At least you don't have a Taiga-like tsundere...), nor the story IMO is anywhere close to as good as Toradora!
Writing wise, this is eons ahead of Toradora, and the relationships are nice and fun when developed, it's just that everything is not crystal clear to the eye from moment 1 as in Toradora (In fact I didn't want to guess possible pairings until close to the end of volume 1).

But that "going with the flow" style really does fit more college age students the most.
Old 2013-03-17, 12:12   Link #22
Dirty_Harry

Way better than Toradora. It's not that hard though.
Dirty_Harry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 14:31   Link #23
apr
Pedestrian

I was kind of hoping for a live-action adaptation of this, since it would reach a bigger audience (and Yuyuko-sensei deserves it).

This is what I wrote three years ago when I'd finished the first novel:

---

Made it all the way to the end of Golden Time tonight. After Toradora I was a huge fan of this author, and had no clue what to expect. The summary sounded way too similar to her previous series, and I was worried it'd be a boring retread, but I think GT manages to feel different enough that it wasn't a problem at all.

In fact, I find it hard to think of it quite as a light novel. It's just a bit too mature, compared to all the other series I've read under that label, and the illustrations are so tiny that I can't help but wonder if they just stuffed them in there to abide by some kind of publisher regulation. That's not to say it's, you know, proper adult literature. Still, it's a lot more like seinen manga, and with a character called NANA-senpai (seriously), it's easy to make the connection to the manga with that name.

To put it bluntly, Golden Time is a love soap in college setting.

If you ever watched the j-drama Orange Days, that's not too far off in feel. Mind you, I liked Orange Days. And I really enjoyed reading GT. It's not as funny (comical, that is) as Toradora was, but then Toradora floated away from the comedy gradually as it went along, while GT pretty much starts at the end of Toradora's spectrum. It's fascinating to read about the life of a Japanese university student, and compare it to how I felt moving away from home to study in a new town, getting used to living without my parents, and encountering all the strange people at campus. Fresh, is a simple way to describe the book.

It's not a masterpiece, though. To begin with, the protagonist lacks any real character, so he feels pretty bland when you're used to light novels where everyone is easily identified by certain strong features. At the outset, the plot is also very loose, with no discernible goal to work towards, which makes it, well, not boring, exactly, but somewhat difficult to follow. Events occur a bit too haphazardly and disjointedly, much like real life, and at times I had to wonder what the point of a certain (absurd) chapter was, and why it was given so many pages. It doesn't help that the writing is ruthless to foreigners like me, who still struggle with slang and modern youth talk not found in a dictionary, which made some of the conversations tricky. Narrative sentences are also longer and more complex than I'm used to, so I'm definitely putting this title down as one of the harder light novels I've encountered.

Anyway. What really makes Golden Time interesting is the delicate time period it uses as setting: late teens, early twenties. The characters are right at the age where love and relationships are starting to grow complicated. It's no longer about running around drunk on emotions, instead it's an age where you approach emotions carefully -- or stumble over them -- and have to reflect on what they really mean, and how pursuing them will affect you and your future. And perhaps you'll reach the wrong conclusion the first time, and end up with a massive failure on your hands. Then grow as a person, trying to overcome that pain.

The author expresses all this perfectly, with vivid scenes that often made me think back on what it was like to be their age. The pages are teeming with the passion of youth. And that, strangely, is pretty rare these days.
Old 2013-03-17, 17:20   Link #24
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

As someone who is currently reading the Toradora VN translations (currently on hiatus though because of Mahouka Koukou No Rettousei ), I must say I'm actually impressed by how much they were able to cram in 2 cours. Which only serves to fuel my JC Staff fanboyism.

Kinda apprehensive a bit though, since the author didn't even have either party of the childhood friends be romantically interested in each other in Toradora, so I dunno what are the odds of them winning here. Although to be fair, Ryuuji/Taiga acted very much like osananajimi (I'd say even more so than the actual childhood friends), so if the author gives a good deal of that aspect to the winning couple, I'd be happy.

Or screw it, if Okada is writing it, I'm all in. XD

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 17:46   Link #25
Mentar
Banned

Booked. A very sensitive and smart romance comedy. I hope that they manage a proper conversion ... and I want LOTS of hi-class Kaga eye candy!
Mentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 18:28   Link #26
ultimatemegax
Nyahahahaha♥

Send a message via MSN to ultimatemegax Send a message via Yahoo to ultimatemegax
Planned to air in 2013.

“Nyahaha! Then we move to round two, Hero! ★”
Chuunibyou translation: 1st novel - OUT/ 2nd novel - OUT
ultimatemegax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-17, 19:12   Link #27
Natsu_
Yoroshiku ne!

Heavy story...
Hope that it will be expressed to refreshing.
Natsu_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-03-18, 02:00   Link #28
Reckoner
Bittersweet Distractor

Wow a LN that isn't focused on high school. Interesting.
Reckoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-21, 06:39   Link #29
Kyuu
=^^=

This goes on my immediately watch list.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 03:41   Link #30
Pocari_Sweat
<em style="color:#808080;">Disabled By Request</em>

Send a message via AIM to Pocari_Sweat Send a message via MSN to Pocari_Sweat
University
Law School

Hey, that sounds like something I went through!

I'm in.

Lol at people crying out for Nagai x Okada. Well I guess that can't be blamed since the duo have created some great works, but really be careful for what you wish for. Okada isn't the same anymore and you know that dress that the girl is wearing on the front cover? Well, it might be worn by the main male MC at some point .
Pocari_Sweat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-22, 04:29   Link #31
Hooves
~Official Slacker~
*Author

Its going to be Toradora in college and with different characters.
Old 2013-04-22, 04:40   Link #32
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocari_Sweat View Post
Okada isn't the same anymore.
Repeating this endlessly doesn't make it true
Old 2013-04-22, 06:40   Link #33
csuree
The Most Hated™

wow.. it is getting animated.....
i am reading the light novel so i'm curious about it.....
i hope it will be a summer anime to lighten up the season a bit more.
so far i love the novel.....i ope the anime will be of quality too
Old 2013-04-22, 15:53   Link #34
Tyabann
Homo Ludens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooves View Post
Its going to be Toradora in college and with different characters.
Sort of not really though?
Tyabann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 04:25   Link #35
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Holy hell, this is exactly what I've been asking for over the last few years. Totally in.
Old 2013-05-03, 04:29   Link #36
Cosmic Eagle
今宵の虎徹は血に飢えている

Quote:
Originally Posted by winhlp32 View Post
All that's left is to wait for the Mari Okada announcement...

But really, hopefully a good studio will take care of Komatsu E-ji's designs.
The studio that made Iriya no Sora?
Old 2013-05-03, 05:26   Link #37
oompa loompa

YES. college anime. toradora. give me moar.
oompa loompa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-03, 23:24   Link #38
Kyuu
=^^=

Quote:
Originally Posted by oompa loompa View Post
YES. college anime. toradora. give me moar.
Seriously. Sick and tired of all these high school kids taking all the screen time.
Kyuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 10:59   Link #39
Westlo
Lets be reality

Saw this posted on gaf, no idea where it's from, website doesn't even seem to be up, oh well a look @ the anime design.

Westlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-06-06, 11:03   Link #40
rpapo

Good detective work! Yes, I agree, it looks like a poster for the new anime that is supposedly coming out this fall.

In fact, the lettering across the bottom says it will be coming to television this fall.
rpapo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
college, comedy, drama, love triangle, romance, seinen