Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2014-09-07, 01:55   Link #34701
Xellos-_^
Not Enough Sleep

here are my thoughts

The US is part of NATO, NATO members has a duty to protect member states. Maybe it wasn't a good idea to let the form soviet states in but regardless they are in now. Unless the US wants back out of it obligation, in which case the US might as well withdraw form NATO. If the US does intend to keep its promise and obligation to member NATO states there is no better statement then station troops in a former soviet state like one of the Baltic states.
Old 2014-09-07, 02:02   Link #34702
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ithekro View Post
Didn't the Russians freak out about the bases moving to Poland and the ABM systems in Turkey and Eastern Europe? Actually moving into former Soviet states? I'm sure they would take that badly.
Why should it matter that they are former Soviet states?

I mean, technically half of Germany and the entirety of Poland is former Soviet states.
Old 2014-09-07, 02:10   Link #34703
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Eastern Europe, the old Warsaw Pact counties, would be puppet states or satelite countries for the old Soviet Union, were as Ukraine and the Baltic States were actually part of the Soviet Union as states, or "republics" of the old USSR.
Old 2014-09-07, 02:15   Link #34704
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Eastern Europe, the old Warsaw Pact counties, would be puppet states or satelite countries for the old Soviet Union, were as Ukraine and the Baltic States were actually part of the Soviet Union as states, or "republics" of the old USSR.
And? Former means it is no longer part of the Soviet Union. If Putin want the Soviet Union back and willing to kill for it, so be it. But to talk about "former Soviet States" like it is meant to mean something, is to imply that Russia still own them. Putin does not own them, not yet anyway.
Old 2014-09-07, 02:31   Link #34705
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

It is that much closer to Russia, so they will likely freak out even more than they did about Poland and the Czech Republic about 5 years ago. Putin even agreed to have US Navy ships in the Black Sea as an alternative to ABM stations in Eastern Europe, and then they started complaining as soon as the warships arrived.

I'm trying to find an analogy, though it somewhat escapes me.

Something like if one use to own an acre lot. You got along with the people on your neighborhood, but some of them resented you. Several of the friendlier ones moved away. Later you could not afford the acre so sold most of it and now like on a quarter acre lot. Then someone you didn't particularly like plans to build something you find offensive in your neighborhood. You protest and they move something similar to the local pond. You allow it but have mixed feeling.

Years later they decide to build something even more offensive to you on one of old quarter acres next to your remaining quarter acre lot. This upsets you more than before I would guess, since that use to be your place. Not only is whatever they are planning on doing offensive to you, but you have a sense of ownership/loses about the land they are planning on doing this on.

If that makes any sense. (I couldn't think up a specific offensive thing that wasn't blantantly illegal or overtly military, which doesn't fit an analogy)
Old 2014-09-07, 03:19   Link #34706
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
(I couldn't think up a specific offensive thing that wasn't blantantly illegal or overtly military, which doesn't fit an analogy)
Then maybe there is a reason for that. If you can't find real life examples then perhaps, there is a justification that your explanation might be flawed.

So what if they were former Soviet states? Your very argument suggest that there is some legal defence or political justification that Russia gets to control nations who are independent. If "former Soviet states" want to be Soviet again, they are free to do so. But until they do so or until Putin re-conquer them, you are not making sense.
Old 2014-09-07, 03:42   Link #34707
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

We don't want Russia to have a hissy fit, but we don't want them to get their way either. So, clearly, choices will have to be made.
Old 2014-09-07, 04:41   Link #34708
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well last time, when the US was going to put a ABM station in Poland, Russia threatened to stage short range nuclear missiles right on the Russian border.

What would they do if NATO planted a base that is probably less than 300 km from St. Petersburg?
Old 2014-09-07, 05:57   Link #34709
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

Quote:
Well last time, when the US was going to put a ABM station in Poland, Russia threatened to stage short range nuclear missiles right on the Russian border.

What would they do if NATO planted a base that is probably less than 300 km from St. Petersburg?
Well whatever Putin would have done in response, it would be less provocative than the invasion of Ukraine that he may or may not be doing right now. Provocations are always lower down crisis scale than actual military action.
Old 2014-09-07, 19:37   Link #34710
AnimeFan188

Jack the Ripper unmasked: How amateur sleuth used DNA breakthrough
to identify Britain's most notorious criminal 126 years after string of terrible
murders:

"- DNA evidence on a shawl found at Ripper murder scene nails killer

- By testing descendants of victim and suspect, identifications were made

- Jack the Ripper has been identified as Polish-born Aaron Kosminski

- Kosminski was a suspect when the Ripper murders took place in 1888

- Hairdresser Kosminski lived in Whitechapel and was later put in an asylum"

See:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-murders.html
Old 2014-09-07, 20:01   Link #34711
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnimeFan188 View Post
Jack the Ripper unmasked: How amateur sleuth used DNA breakthrough
to identify Britain's most notorious criminal 126 years after string of terrible
murders:

"- DNA evidence on a shawl found at Ripper murder scene nails killer

- By testing descendants of victim and suspect, identifications were made

- Jack the Ripper has been identified as Polish-born Aaron Kosminski

- Kosminski was a suspect when the Ripper murders took place in 1888

- Hairdresser Kosminski lived in Whitechapel and was later put in an asylum"

See:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...e-murders.html
That guy must have been a hair fetishist.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-09-07, 20:58   Link #34712
Skane
Anime Snark

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintessHeart View Post
That guy must have been a hair fetishist.
Did his victims have ponytails?

Pony~
Old 2014-09-07, 21:26   Link #34713
GDB

Isn't the Daily Mail a tabloid? I wouldn't call that "news".
Old 2014-09-08, 12:59   Link #34714
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Well they will be writing less news after this Sunday.

When three puppygirls named after pastries are on top of each other, it is called Eclair a'la menthe et Biscotti aux fraises avec beaucoup de Ricotta sur le dessus.
Most of all, you have to be disciplined and you have to save, even if you hate our current financial system. Because if you don't save, then you're guaranteed to end up with nothing.
Old 2014-09-09, 01:02   Link #34715
Shyni

I don't know whether to make a joke about the Fate/ series' Ripper or Nobunagun's.
Old 2014-09-09, 01:12   Link #34716
Mr Hat and Clogs
Did someone call a doctor

I just find all the naysayers and 'experts' in the replies having opinions as to why it is fake hilarious to read.
Old 2014-09-10, 07:00   Link #34717
ganbaru
books-eater youkai

Why We Shouldn't Be Scared of ISIS: Threat Inflation and Our Next Dumb War
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-dumb-war.html
Old 2014-09-11, 06:00   Link #34718
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by ganbaru View Post
Why We Shouldn't Be Scared of ISIS: Threat Inflation and Our Next Dumb War
http://www.thedailybeast.com/article...-dumb-war.html
Look at the stuff this guy publishes.

Chinese news site accused of massive protection racket

Quote:
HONG KONG (MarketWatch) -- A popular Chinese news site has been accused of extorting hundreds of millions of yuan from a large number of companies using threats of negative news reports, state media said Wednesday. The 21st Century Business Herald website, owned by one of China's largest media groups -- Southern Media Group -- obtained "protection fees" from listed or pre-IPO companies which were willing to pay for "a shut-up" on unfavorable news reports or for writing positive news about the company, the state-run Xinhua News Agency reported. Earlier, the Shanghai police department said several journalists from the 21st Century Business Herald website, including the site's president, as well as some senior executives at public-relations firms, had been detained or arrested for their alleged involvement in the massive "journalistic blackmail" scheme, thanks to public tip-offs. The website had hired PR companies or asked reporters to find target companies for purported extortion, often disguised as "advertising fees" from those companies, the Xinhua report said. Since 2010, the site had signed such "advertising contracts" with an average of over 100 companies a year, allegedly collecting hundreds of millions of yuan, Xinhua quoted the police department as saying.

Old 2014-09-11, 11:37   Link #34719
LoveYouSaber

The scary thing for me is I actually honestly don't know if I should believe that the 21st Century Business Herald website did go to obtain protection fees. On the one hand, such practices would not be unheard of in China, but on the other hand though, could this be a ploy to damage the reputation of Business Herald so that no one believes in its stories on the negative sides of companies? Added to the fact that the Southern Media Group runs a quite outspoken newspaper in southern China, so I don't know if this is a warning from the Chinese government that the Group would be well advised to keep a lower profile.
Old 2014-09-11, 17:42   Link #34720
SaintessHeart
NYAAAAHAAANNNNN~

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveYouSaber View Post
The scary thing for me is I actually honestly don't know if I should believe that the 21st Century Business Herald website did go to obtain protection fees. On the one hand, such practices would not be unheard of in China, but on the other hand though, could this be a ploy to damage the reputation of Business Herald so that no one believes in its stories on the negative sides of companies? Added to the fact that the Southern Media Group runs a quite outspoken newspaper in southern China, so I don't know if this is a warning from the Chinese government that the Group would be well advised to keep a lower profile.
I don't know lol. I think it is a case of black-eat-black - considering the fact that these businesses most likely have underhanded business practices and that the news site simply just exploited it for monetary gains.

Closed Thread

Tags
current affairs, discussion, international