AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > Naruto/Boruto

Notices

Old 2004-10-23, 22:48   Link #1

Naruto's name: katakana or hiragana?

Strange how he writes his name both ways. In the chuunin exam and the opening intro it is written in katakana as ナルト but strangely when he signed the frog contract he wrote なると instead...which is it? Sorry for asking such a useless question but I'm currently learning jap and just wanted to clear this up. Any opinions?
11514145208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 22:59   Link #2
Aelonil

naruto should always be written in katakana, because its his name and is not a common japanese name. im not sure why he wrote it in hiragana on the contract, it might be a mistake by the animators.
Aelonil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-23, 23:49   Link #3
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I'm really starting to wonder whether I should be associated with you people anymore.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 00:08   Link #4
sakura-san
Lee is such a player...

its obviously in ENGLISH... you narutard.
sakura-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 00:09   Link #5
Lst2touchdasky

Send a message via AIM to Lst2touchdasky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
I'm really starting to wonder whether I should be associated with you people anymore.
lol, the new generation, october brought way to many obsessed naruto fans who think way to much and post to much.

Stop picking at your halloween candy and please stay away from your mouses. Or better yet just stop thinking or knock yourselves out- anything to stop all these patheticly useless stupid questions/threads
Lst2touchdasky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 00:52   Link #6
PerniciousJuJu
Yummy kakashi thighs...

Send a message via AIM to PerniciousJuJu Send a message via MSN to PerniciousJuJu
hummm.. weird. I thought that katagana was used for English words or names. naruto is an English/American name? I thought it was Japanese? I'm 100% sure it's japanese. U can either spell it with hiragana or with kanjis but katagana?

Last edited by PerniciousJuJu; 2004-10-24 at 01:02.
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 00:58   Link #7
sixpercent
Nihon Otaku

Send a message via AIM to sixpercent
ok i dont really wanna get involved in such a retarded topic but..... NARUTO is japanese spelled word. You ever had ramen? "naruto" is the funky swirly thing thats red and white. Therefor naruto is not just a japanese name but a japanese word. And japanese words, names, ect are 99% written in hiragana. Katakana is used for english words, and titles.
sixpercent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 08:46   Link #8

which is the damn reason why i asked this stupid question...
11514145208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 09:42   Link #9
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixpercent
ok i dont really wanna get involved in such a retarded topic but..... NARUTO is japanese spelled word. You ever had ramen? "naruto" is the funky swirly thing thats red and white. Therefor naruto is not just a japanese name but a japanese word. And japanese words, names, ect are 99% written in hiragana. Katakana is used for english words, and titles.
its funny then, that in every opening naruto is spelled in katakana. including all the naruto banners ive seen. the banners have naruto spelled in plain english in bright orange, and under that...its written in katakana.

and...japanese names are typicaly written in kanji, not hiragana. right?
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 10:18   Link #10
PerniciousJuJu
Yummy kakashi thighs...

Send a message via AIM to PerniciousJuJu Send a message via MSN to PerniciousJuJu
Maybe it's writen in katagana to make it look "cooler"...?
hiraganas are not as cool looking as kataganas and some ppl can't read kanjis so yeah..
PerniciousJuJu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 11:30   Link #11
Yakushi-san

Is stuff mostly written in Hiragana, and names such as people and places are written in Katakana?

Is Katakana harder to learn than Hiragana? I've just finished learning Hiragana.
Yakushi-san is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 12:25   Link #12
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by skillosopher
and...japanese names are typicaly written in kanji, not hiragana. right?
Depends, both are possible, usually names are written in Kanji but hiragana names exist as well.

As allready mentioned Naruto title is written in katakana, this could be because katakana really stands out in a text (a bit like capital letters do in our texts). Apart from writing english loan words, katakana is also used in advertisement, just to draw attention. It seems a good guess that while the title is in katakanan, his name is actually written in hiragana (after all it is a japanese sounding name).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushi-san
Is stuff mostly written in Hiragana, and names such as people and places are written in Katakana?

Is Katakana harder to learn than Hiragana? I've just finished learning Hiragana.
Actually katakana and hiragana are equally hard/easy to learn, although I found that katakana is alot easier to write since it's all straight lines compared to hiragana. I also learned hiragana first, it took me about a day to memorise the katakana symbols afterwards (compared to the week or longer for the hiragana), besides you'll notice that both have some close to identical symbols. The hardest part about katakana is the difference betwee shi and tsu and between so and n
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 12:41   Link #13
Yakushi-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
Actually katakana and hiragana are equally hard/easy to learn, although I found that katakana is alot easier to write since it's all straight lines compared to hiragana. I also learned hiragana first, it took me about a day to memorise the katakana symbols afterwards (compared to the week or longer for the hiragana), besides you'll notice that both have some close to identical symbols. The hardest part about katakana is the difference betwee shi and tsu and between so and n
Oh, I just noticed the "shi" and "tsu", and the "so" and "na" similarities.
The only differences are the angles.

Idea: Remember "shi" and "so", then just tilt the paper slightly when you're writing "tsu" and "na".
Old 2004-10-24, 13:20   Link #14
7thMethuselah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yakushi-san
Oh, I just noticed the "shi" and "tsu", and the "so" and "na" similarities.
The only differences are the angles.

Idea: Remember "shi" and "so", then just tilt the paper slightly when you're writing "tsu" and "na".
actually the difference is not the angles but they way they are written

shi and n are written bottom to top
tsu and so and written top to bottom

(that is for the large stroke)

The only way to see the difference in texts is to see which end of the large stroke is fatter, the fattest part indicates the starting point and thus identifies the symbol. To be honest, I find them extremely confusing
7thMethuselah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-24, 13:24   Link #15
Yakushi-san

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thMethuselah
actually the difference is not the angles but they way they are written

shi and n are written bottom to top
tsu and so and written top to bottom

(that is for the large stroke)

The only way to see the difference in texts is to see which end of the large stroke is fatter, the fattest part indicates the starting point and thus identifies the symbol. To be honest, I find them extremely confusing
Ooooh... I relied on the angle of the TenTen (TenTen is the japanese word for double apostrophe ---> " <--- for those of you who are confused about the relation to TenTen from Naruto).
Old 2004-10-26, 12:09   Link #16
skillosopher
Dr. J

Send a message via AIM to skillosopher
well...the instructor says...

sometimes...japanese will write in katakana in order to emphasize. kind of the same way americans use italics. so then the question is...are they merely "advertising" or "italicizing" the name naruto?

is it typical to italicize a lone name using katakana?

another thing, i also found it easier to learn katakana than hiragana. but maybe its because i learned hiragana first. i guess it depends.
skillosopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 12:58   Link #17
ShikaShika
無罪

Would all you anglocentric bastards realise that katakana is used for loan words period, and not just English loan words? It just got so annoying when everyone had to specify that it had to be English.
ShikaShika is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 13:41   Link #18
maziwanka

some of the earlier responses to this thread are fvcking retarded. let the guy ask his question.

some of us forget to bow to the damn naruto forum gods. idiots
maziwanka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 14:31   Link #19
Yoska
フランキー

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShikaShika
Would all you anglocentric bastards realise that katakana is used for loan words period, and not just English loan words? It just got so annoying when everyone had to specify that it had to be English.
I agree with the swede and I was going to point this out too, it's annoying. But oh well, an english board so....
Yoska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-10-26, 14:35   Link #20
nh1
KAWAIII-III!!!! >^_^ >

Quote:
Originally Posted by maziwanka
idiots
One doesn't need to make a whole new thread to ask a question.