Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-08-27, 17:39   Link #21
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Send a message via MSN to bruno321
I liked Pale Cocoon and Mizu no Kotoba. They did get me thinking (the one I liked the most was Mizu no Kotoba) but it was about a subject which we have seen developed a lot of times, so it's hard to surprise me there.

Anyway, if you click on Click! down my sig you'll see the anime I have seen with their respective votes.
Old 2007-08-27, 17:48   Link #22
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

I know it's come up several times in this thread, but here's another recommendation for Higurashi no Naku Koro ni. Yes, it does have its flaws, but it has a number of aspects that make it genuinely groundbreaking and original.

ARIA The Animation (and its sequel) is another anime that looks like a genre-piece on its surface, but while it's episodic, there is actually quite a lot of originality in many of its episodic stories. Same with Mushishi, although Mushishi is more serious and brooding and is about as dark as ARIA is light. Kino's Journey is another episodic slice-of-life, and it's also very original, and highly intelligent.

Red Garden is another title that has a lot of originality, but demands that you get past a few mediocre episodes in the beginning (I'm surprised Matrim didn't bring this up considering how big a fan he is of it).
Old 2007-08-27, 18:38   Link #23
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Hmmm, I just watched Cat Soup which I've had lying around for a while now, and it left me WTFed. This can be great or not so great.

I knew there was something to it. It couldn't be complete absurdiness. Anyway, I started to read here and there, and there was a story, actually. I didn't quite get the beginning, but then the (almost) ending makes more sense. What's in the middle is a series of short stories put together with some recurrent themes that aren't easy to spot: I spotted what could be a laughing about that fashionable weird food, or sometimes a vegetarian's critique, but then the director said on the comments of the DVD that some of the parts in the middle even THEY didn't understand, they just put together what they thought it was interesting.

So yeah, of course it's "original, different, daring" as I stated, but again, not engrossing. Mostly an experience to say ":O" at WTFness, which has no real or valuable sense.

Which can't be said of Mind Game's "zaniness". Oh, come on. Why doesn't anyone on this board say anything when I mention this film? Isn't anyone intrigued? Here:

Mind Game

There.
Old 2007-08-27, 19:45   Link #24
Matrim
Naysayer?Fanboy?Wiseacre?

Quote:
Anyway, if you click on Click! down my sig you'll see the anime I have seen with their respective votes.
I was kind of surprised by the list being so short, but it's good you have realised quickly how much standard crap anime there is. Anyway, few more suggestions, now that I am freed from the ghost of "he has already seen it, surely?".

Gankutsuou, The Count of Monte Christo - especially recommended if you have not read the book. It's so stylish that it almost puts Cowboy Bebop to shame and the art is simply stunning.

Quote:
Red Garden is another title that has a lot of originality, but demands that you get past a few mediocre episodes in the beginning (I'm surprised Matrim didn't bring this up considering how big a fan he is of it).
I considered it but I was trying to dig up really unique series and I had the not so bright idea of being a bit more neutral and objective. But since you mention it, I can't help but agree (I actually love the first episodes, too). Anyway, Red Garden is a series supposedly about monster hunting, yet not really fitting that description. It seems at first to be about the good ol' bad vs good conflict, yet this turns out not to be the case. And it's a great drama with a groundbreaking (or at least, refreshingly new) voiceacting style. The premise is much like in GANTZ but the approach is very different.

Quote:
Kino's Journey is another episodic slice-of-life, and it's also very original, and highly intelligent.
Seconded.

I think fantasy anime which has great character development and it's not cheesy counts as different and daring, so The Twelve Kingdoms deserves a mention.

Old 2007-08-27, 20:03   Link #25
bruno321
Whirling Knife

Yeah, the list is short, but if you consider I've been watching anime since late 2005, and if you consider it is not the only thing I do with my life, well then it is more understandable.

Also, as you might have seen, I know about quite a bunch of series, it's just that I carefully pick which ones I'll watch.

What I've grown more to hate is clichés and stereotypes. Especially since they're so fucking stupid, and forgive my language, on anime. I've already expressed myself on this matter on another thread

Quote:
The premise is much like in GANTZ but the approach is very different.
Good then. I liked the premise of Gantz, I loved it actually. I was really eager to see how well it was executed, but then what a piece of crap did I found, come on. Unbearable pace --unbearable.

Twelve Kingdoms is also on my to-see list (yeah, it does exist actually, it's a txt I often modify ), but I'm guessing I'll see Seirei no Moribito first (dunno why but I associate both of them in my head).

Quote:
It's so stylish that it almost puts Cowboy Bebop to shame
That's quite a statement you got there. Hmm.
Old 2007-08-28, 05:54   Link #26
Navel

Some anime series can not be understood unless you experienced something similar in your life. It may sound pretentious, but time will tell if I'm right. Some of those experiences will happen for sure by the simple fact that life throws them at you at various stages of your life no matter that you want them or not.

Other experiences will not happen to anyone, so relating to fiction having such experiences as background will not be possible. From your list, think of "Welcome to the NHK" and imagine how someone who is socially skilled, friendly and extrovert would relate to it.

That being said, here is what I could relate to and found amazing:

Kare Kano, Bokura ga Ita, Honey & Clover, Paradise Kiss - as amazing love stories and life experiences

Kino no Tabi, Infinite Ryvius - for their reflections on life

Mushishi - for the atmosphere

Gankutsuou, Full Metal Alchemist, RahXephon - for action and drama

Cowboy Bebop - for style

Ouran Koukou Host Club - for more than comedy

Last edited by Navel; 2007-08-28 at 06:15.
Old 2007-08-28, 23:55   Link #27
KholdStare
ISML Technical Staff
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to KholdStare Send a message via MSN to KholdStare
After watching 5 Centimeters per Second, I rated it as a masterpiece right away, making it my 10th anime that I rated 10/10. It is romance like I've never seen before, and the anime is more realistic than any movies I've seen. I loved how it took my breath away and took away my ability to describe how wonderful it is in words. It is truly a movie, a portrayal of scenes that could only be described with images and sound and not by words. The ending made me felt in such a way that I haven't since KgNE.

I know the description is vague, but that's pretty much how it will be.
Old 2007-08-30, 02:50   Link #28
iXenomorph
Anime Addicted

Send a message via MSN to iXenomorph
I think Midori no Hibi is quite an extraordinary comedy, with a funny concept - It's not everyday your right hand becomes a parasitic, kawaii little girl.
Old 2007-08-30, 04:27   Link #29
mana.
girl who loves anime!

Sorry if these were already suggested but I don't feel like looking through everything people posted.

Intellectual/action type that will make you think: Ghost in the Shell.

Koi Kaze- this one makes the mark in realistic originality, very very slice of life, though it's a true romance and I don't see any on your list, so not sure if you're into this. Worth a shot to mention.

One that's sort of in GTO's description not serious, but it makes you think if you're able to figure out why it should is Chobits.

Film: Voices of a Distant Start definitely makes you think.

Elfen Lied , though it may be hard for people due to all the gore and fighting, but it has issues and such that make you think.

Edited to add: I've been watching Honey and Clover, and this anime surprisingly makes you think. It's a slice of life dealie, but just when you think you know what the characters will do, they go and do something totally different.

Last edited by mana.; 2007-08-30 at 19:22.
Closed Thread