AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2010-06-13, 19:56   Link #2001
ChronoReverse

Scar's final line of "I don't need a name, call me what you want" pretty much serves the purpose of him being nameless even better than revealing whatever name he could have had beforehand.

Whether his name would have been "God Saves" or the like is actually less meaningful. He has shifted from someone who has lost his name to someone who does not need a name.

To me, showing the final change in Scar is better than some ironic name he could have had.
ChronoReverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-13, 20:13   Link #2002
quigonkenny
Sav'aaq!

Frankly I'm glad Scar's name was never revealed. Any time you have a situation like this, there are always some self-aggrandizing tools who from then on only ever refer to the character by their "real" name, in eager anticipation of someone not knowing who they're talking about, so they can feel superior. God help us if Nagaru Tanigawa ever reveals Kyon's birth name...

Spoiler for Related instance from Death Note:
Old 2010-06-13, 20:26   Link #2003
Vicious108

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
endless, I'm surprised you forgot about the 520 cenz promise between Ed and Roy. He's not trying to pave the way for his own destruction, not anymore.
Uh, I'm pretty sure I never claimed otherwise.

And I clearly remember the 520 Cenz promise, which is another reason as to why I'd have liked to see Roy after the time skip, perhaps being visited by Ed as Kirarakim suggested. It would've been awesome to see Ed make fun of Roy for still not being the Fuhrer and Roy in return would mock him for still having an automail leg.
Vicious108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 06:36   Link #2004
blewin

Awesome! Just awesome end with plenty of pages to wrap up the story nicely. As some people said, the ending is quite predictable. Ed losing his ability to use alchemy, Alu coming back all emaciated, Van dying and so on. well, one unpredictable thing was of Ed rejecting his dad's sacrifice, and here I was hoping Van would live out a good life with his sons but he ended up dead before Trisha's grave. That's a really sad moment for me.

It's kind of sad too how Ed and Alu have parted to go on separate journeys. They've been together for so long and they strive to be together, why the separation? I don't think the end result is worth it. What's more, Ed can't use alchemy anymore. How can he study it??

anyway, great to see the chimera accompanying Alu to Xing. The final page shows a grown up Mei. I definitely see a possibility of her and Alu getting married. Ling looks so funny dressed up in his Emperor clothes. That just cracks me up so badly. Wish there's some development on Riza and Roy's part though.

About Scar though.. it's great to see him having to keep on living for a brighter future. In the end, FMA is a hopeful manga, allowing the villains to live, giving the villains second chances (I'm talking more of Scar and Selim). The final line of "a full metal heart" really sinks in and resonates with me. Not only does it bring full circle but it points to a light out of the dark tunnel. What awesome story telling. This could have become a classic and must study literature if it's not in manga form and produced in Japan!

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 07:00   Link #2005
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaimeGuy View Post
endless, I'm surprised you forgot about the 520 cenz promise between Ed and Roy. He's not trying to pave the way for his own destruction, not anymore. Both Scar and Roy realize they have so much more to live for, and there's so much more they can do. It would be a disservice for them to give up now.
Nah, that was me. I have to admit I never saw that scene changing Roy's point of view on that. It's right after Riza told Ed what might be in store for them, so I doubt he has a different view at that point.
But you are right about that 'live for more' thing.

I really enjoyed the thoughts you guys have on the subject :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
It's kind of sad too how Ed and Alu have parted to go on separate journeys. They've been together for so long and they strive to be together, why the separation? I don't think the end result is worth it. What's more, Ed can't use alchemy anymore. How can he study it??
Well, for one it has a practical use, so Al can study Rentanjutsu (and hook up with Mei) and Ed can study the western Alchemy at the same time. Parting isn't portrayed as sad at all, they will see each other again after all.

And of course Ed can study it. He can't execute it, but he still has the understanding.
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 07:01   Link #2006
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by blewin View Post
About Scar though.. it's great to see him having to keep on living for a brighter future. In the end, FMA is a hopeful manga, allowing the villains to live, giving the villains second chances (I'm talking more of Scar and Selim). The final line of "a full metal heart" really sinks in and resonates with me. Not only does it bring full circle but it points to a light out of the dark tunnel. What awesome story telling. This could have become a classic and must study literature if it's not in manga form and produced in Japan!
Who knows, in another 30 year it may become one.
It certainly have all the values of becoming a classic, good story telling, rich back story, epic journey, harsh reality, a strong under tone of romance, kinship, friendship, trust and, hate and much much more.
Love to see it written as a novel which will no doubt bring more readers to appreciate it's true qualities.
Tri-ring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-14, 12:29   Link #2007
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by quigonkenny View Post
Spoiler for Related instance from Death Note:
Those "idiots" are simply using the name revealed in the databook by the creators themselves, so I'm not sure why you're praising the creators.
Old 2010-06-14, 16:15   Link #2008
fizzmaister
The Tall One

The thing is, L's name is "L Lawliet." His first name is "L"
Old 2010-06-14, 17:39   Link #2009
Orangejellosphere
That one guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
Who knows, in another 30 year it may become one.
It certainly have all the values of becoming a classic, good story telling, rich back story, epic journey, harsh reality, a strong under tone of romance, kinship, friendship, trust and, hate and much much more.
Love to see it written as a novel which will no doubt bring more readers to appreciate it's true qualities.
I hope novels bring more readers to experiencing this wonderful series. No matter what form it's published as (including Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood) I will always prefer the manga the most. It was a part of my life for a long time (it was a 9 year long series.) The story's original context in the manga was great. I don't think there's a substitute for the author's story in the author's images. A format other than manga could still do a good job with a great story, but the series is best understood in its original form.
Old 2010-06-14, 22:39   Link #2010
blewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejellosphere View Post
I hope novels bring more readers to experiencing this wonderful series. No matter what form it's published as (including Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood) I will always prefer the manga the most. It was a part of my life for a long time (it was a 9 year long series.) The story's original context in the manga was great. I don't think there's a substitute for the author's story in the author's images. A format other than manga could still do a good job with a great story, but the series is best understood in its original form.
Different medium draws different audience. But getting a novel of FMA out would produce another layer of experience in another kind of depth. As it's master storytelling, it's great storytelling regardless of the medium it is in (my opinion anyway). But I can definitely see all the possibilities in novels.

Chrome Shelled Regios
blewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-15, 06:48   Link #2011
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangejellosphere View Post
The only thing I DO NOT want to see is a batterized mutilated version from Hollywood.
Old 2010-06-16, 01:49   Link #2012
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

aww, sweet ending. everyone in the end ended up where they were supposed to be. and finally, the Ed and Winry moment everyone's been waiting for.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 09:46   Link #2013
tzia_n
Lurker

Send a message via Yahoo to tzia_n
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tri-ring View Post
The only thing I DO NOT want to see is a batterized mutilated version from Hollywood.
Justin Bieber as Edward Elric. Gasp!
tzia_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 14:40   Link #2014
dec4rhapsody
*frustrated*

Location: Glorious Fire Wall-Hmm, I hate my government more than you do.
Send a message via MSN to dec4rhapsody
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Twilight View Post
Spoiler:

Exactly my thoughts, and I wish for a gaiden or just some additional panels to clear this up (which hopefully also touch upon the 520 cenz promise), because Roy's last scene seems to me to be more about Marcoh. Not that I didn't like it.

Spoiler for ...:

Roy doesn't have to be already Fuhrer but some acknowledgements that the promise isn't totally thrown out of the window will do.

(Btw, as far as I know Hawkeye dropped to 5th place in the most recent character poll, while Roy is still 2nd.)

Spoiler for Scar:

On a shippers note, I can't help but giggle at the amount of Royai completion fanfics/fanarts/fan comics that keep popping up after the grand finale.
I've been following the Japanese, the English as well as the Chinese fandom and this did cheer me up after I was totally "destroyed" by the rudeness in 2ch.

Spoiler for well...some misunderstandings:

@zebra

Do write an anti-Royaish essay~*just kidding*

Last edited by dec4rhapsody; 2010-06-16 at 15:02. Reason: typo
dec4rhapsody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-16, 20:28   Link #2015
Setsuna.F.Seiei
Gundam Meister

yah...same feeling as u....Fullmetal Alchemist had been with me for around 6 yrs....(although its a nine yrs series in Shonen Gangan), its quite sad now tat the manga which use to be my mental nourishment end.....but i m quite proud tat i can read it till the end!! Edward and Al will forever be living in my heart!!!! Arakawa sensei Banzai!!!
Setsuna.F.Seiei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 06:02   Link #2016
mechalord
Deploying Funnel Cakes

The Harry Potter movies are coming to and end. Manga are an untapped source of stories for Hollywood.

I could totally see them making a 3-5 movie series based on FMA.
mechalord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 06:18   Link #2017
Tri-ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechalord View Post
The Harry Potter movies are coming to and end. Manga are an untapped source of stories for Hollywood.

If and only if Hollywood takes the time and effort to spread it out into 3 to 5 sequels will it be interesting.
The funny thing would be here in Japan we have dubs for blockbuster movies, I bet the original VA cast will be given an offer to do it.
Old 2010-06-17, 07:15   Link #2018
zebra
❙❙❙❙❙❙❙❥

Send a message via AIM to zebra Send a message via MSN to zebra
Quote:
Keep on dreaming ...
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 07:26   Link #2019
Slave0fLife
O_O

Quote:

Are you talking about live-action? If so, I hope it never happens.

I have yet to see any live-action adaptation that is as well-directed and efficient in expressing feelings as the manga panels/good anime episodes. I think of the Dragonball movie also, but I didn't even find the Death Note movies (a series which does not need many special effects) very good - and Death Note would be at the top of my list with FMA and Rurouni Kenshin OVAs.
Slave0fLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-06-17, 22:40   Link #2020
Setsuna.F.Seiei
Gundam Meister

An real live action movie? It might take more than yrs for tat to happen!! by the way....do anyone of you know where i can order or buy the shonen gangan with the last chpt of FMA?? i reali wan the memorial clock!!! i m living in malaysia so i don't have any clue where i can find it......plz!! somebody juz help me!! memorial clock.............
Setsuna.F.Seiei is offline   Reply With Quote