Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-08-29, 23:17   Link #141
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDB View Post
Most of the time, when someone ignorant of the what the actual word means says "shonen", they usually mean "shonen jump".
Fixed for accuracy.

Case stands. It is the single largest consumption of the medium, and as such, vast majority of said consumption are shown in the traditional TV day time spots, hence debunking this whole "but but but there's no sponsors and ads!" non-nonsensical excuse claim.
Old 2013-09-02, 13:29   Link #142
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
Case stands. It is the single largest consumption of the medium, and as such, vast majority of said consumption are shown in the traditional TV day time spots, hence debunking this whole "but but but there's no sponsors and ads!" non-nonsensical excuse claim.
Well... to be fair to the original comment, Shingeki no Kyoujin (which you raised as an example previously) airs:

25:58 Saturday on MBS
23:30 Sunday on Tokyo MX
25:59 Monday on FBS
26:35 Monday on TV Aichi
24:30 Tuesday on BS11 Digital

And 7 weeks delayed...
19:30 Saturday on AT-X

Of the shows that are frequently discussed on this site, there aren't actually that many that air in primetime, whether they're shounen material or not. That isn't to say there aren't still some big misconceptions about the industry or how things work... but it's not as if all the popular stuff (around here) airs in primetime either. Of course, the stuff that's popular here doesn't necessarily reflect what's popular in Japan, particularly outside of certain circles.
Old 2013-09-03, 02:30   Link #143
aohige
( ಠ_ಠ)

Quote:
Originally Posted by relentlessflame View Post
Well... to be fair to the original comment, Shingeki no Kyoujin (which you raised as an example previously) airs:

25:58 Saturday on MBS
23:30 Sunday on Tokyo MX
25:59 Monday on FBS
26:35 Monday on TV Aichi
24:30 Tuesday on BS11 Digital

And 7 weeks delayed...
19:30 Saturday on AT-X

Of the shows that are frequently discussed on this site, there aren't actually that many that air in primetime, whether they're shounen material or not. That isn't to say there aren't still some big misconceptions about the industry or how things work... but it's not as if all the popular stuff (around here) airs in primetime either. Of course, the stuff that's popular here doesn't necessarily reflect what's popular in Japan, particularly outside of certain circles.
I understand that this place isn't a reflection, but we're talking about Crunchyroll, no?
And shows (mostly shounen) that primarily air daytime are also highest consumption of anime in CR as well, I mean, that's not really debatable is it?
Like I said, CR's success heavily relies on the fact they were able to acquire those very popular "mainstream" shows in the first place.
Just serving the "niche" (which happens to be majority here) wouldn't have elevated their success so quickly, and may have even been a failure methinks.
Old 2013-09-03, 17:33   Link #144
relentlessflame

*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by aohige View Post
I understand that this place isn't a reflection, but we're talking about Crunchyroll, no?
And shows (mostly shounen) that primarily air daytime are also highest consumption of anime in CR as well, I mean, that's not really debatable is it?
Like I said, CR's success heavily relies on the fact they were able to acquire those very popular "mainstream" shows in the first place.
Just serving the "niche" (which happens to be majority here) wouldn't have elevated their success so quickly, and may have even been a failure methinks.
The interesting thing is that they blend it all together, so in essence they create their own "mainstream tier" based purely on demand. But, there's no doubt that simulcasts for shows like Naruto and Bleach were huge draws for Crunchyroll, since they're shows that already had airings on mainstream TV in the U.S. (and other countries), and so a hungry fanbase eager to be up-to-date on the latest content. I do agree with you that, if they hadn't managed to get shows like that, they would have faced a much greater struggle gaining traction. (I guess this is where the investment by TV Tokyo really made a lot of sense.)
Old 2013-10-02, 04:25   Link #145
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Ooookay... anyone living outside of North America annoyed by how little series Crunchyroll is getting for anyone else this season? In the UK we will have no Kill la Kill, no Beyond the Boundary, and no Samurai Flamenco. Might as well cancel my subscription for the time being.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Gan_HOPE326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 08:06   Link #146
Dop
Mmmm....

Well this explains the absence of Kill la Kill in the UK, at least...

ANN: Olivier Cervantès, the co-founder of Wakanim.tv which broadcasts anime in France, has told ANN that he will launch wakanim.co.uk , a U.K. version of the site. A beta version of the site will be launched in mid-October. Before then, its first title, Kill la Kill, will be simulcast on the All the Anime website. The launch time of the first episode is still to be confirmed, but subsequent episodes of the series will be put up in synch with the Japanese broadcast.

Wonder if they're getting any of the other stuff Crunchy hasn't got for the UK?
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-10-04, 16:47   Link #147
totoum
Me at work

Send a message via MSN to totoum
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dop View Post
Wonder if they're getting any of the other stuff Crunchy hasn't got for the UK?
Holy cow, I never expected wakanim to expand outside of France that should be interesting.

The other Wakanim fall shows in France are BlazBlue Alter Memory, Samurai Flamenco and Valvare so if crunchy doesn't have those in the UK I guess Wakanim has them.
Old 2013-10-04, 16:55   Link #148
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
Quote:
Originally Posted by totoum View Post
Holy cow, I never expected wakanim to expand outside of France that should be interesting.
Is that the company that allows DRM-free anime episode downloads? If so, this could get very interesting.
Old 2013-10-04, 17:04   Link #149
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Is that the company that allows DRM-free anime episode downloads? If so, this could get very interesting.
It is,they're also VERY hardcore in trying to protect their titles from piracy, that's also something I'm going to be interested in watching,keeping french fansubbers in check is one thing but english speaking ones are another.
Old 2013-11-02, 09:38   Link #150
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Looks like Crunchyroll is gonna extend their reach to manga. Will they succeed where all others have failed?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 20:50   Link #151
relentlessflame

*Administrator

I would say that at the very least their model is more palatable. If it's just a subscription to access the whole library, then at least if they do fail you don't end up losing the residuals (because there never were any - it was always just a subscription for access). If they can integrate it into their tablet/smartphone apps, it could be a useful thing. So I guess I'm cautiously optimistic; it doesn't solve every problem or meet every need, but at least it doesn't feel doomed from the start like some of the previous attempts...
Old 2013-11-02, 21:36   Link #152
Utsuro no Hako

I know at least one scanlation group has dropped a series that Crunchyroll picked up. Not surprisingly it's one of the series that CR had 100% translated on the launch date, which put them a dozen chapters ahead of the scanlators. As they get their other series caught up, I expect that'll happen a lot more.

Which raises the question of how long until CR's reader gets cracked and what they'll do when it does.
Utsuro no Hako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 03:36   Link #153
fertygo
Hyakko Fanboy

So apparently Crunchyroll worth 100 million dollars

Quote:
(Reuters) - The Chernin Group, former News Corp president Peter Chernin's holding company, said on Monday it had acquired majority control of Japanese anime streaming service Crunchyroll, expanding holdings that include stakes in online video company Fullscreen and mobile entertainment network Scopely.

Headquartered in San Francisco, Crunchyroll has a free, ad-supported service and a subscription service that the Cherin group says has subscribers in more than 160 countries. The company delivers content from Japanese studios and broadcasters to viewers outside of Japan on desktops, mobile phones and other devices.

No price was announced for the acquisition, but a person with knowledge of the transaction said it was close to $100 million. The Chernin Group said it will maintain majority control although Crunchyroll management and existing investor TV Tokyo will maintain a "significant" stake.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B10X320131202

Please somebody beat some sense to me, because holy smokes..
Old 2013-12-03, 03:48   Link #154
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Soon enough, the Chernin Group would lose a lot more money than usual and will replace the anime streaming lineup with TV shows from the West.

You dun goof'd Crunchyroll.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.

Last edited by Marcus H.; 2013-12-03 at 04:32. Reason: corrected.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 16:01   Link #155
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by fertygo View Post
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/...9B10X320131202

Please somebody beat some sense to me, because holy smokes..
Actually CR is valued at more than $100 million because that is just the reported amount Chernin paid for a controlling interest.

Like Marcus, this event worries me. Despite whatever success CR has in exploiting its niche, the new owners may want more and start expanding the array of offerings CR provides. Also if they start fiddling with the subscription rates, they may lose me as a subscriber. $7/month is fine for the number of shows I watch on CR (currently just two). I worry that CR will go the route of Hulu where a premium membership doesn't buy you commercial-free content.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-03, 20:21   Link #156
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

I'll be honest: I absolutely hate this. Fansubbers/Fanscaners drop series because of these "official streams/scans", but then I cannot use the official ones, because I live in Germany and the series is either not being published or too far behind the RAWs by the German publishers. Importing is too expensive.

But it seems some fansubbers/fanscanlators only think about AMERIKA
Old 2013-12-04, 08:19   Link #157
Lord of Fire
The Voice of Reason

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyZone View Post
I'll be honest: I absolutely hate this. Fansubbers/Fanscaners drop series because of these "official streams/scans", but then I cannot use the official ones, because I live in Germany and the series is either not being published or too far behind the RAWs by the German publishers. Importing is too expensive.

But it seems some fansubbers/fanscanlators only think about AMERIKA
True, but do be aware that fansubbing is more or less illegal as it is. And if a show is licensed (even if it's only for streaming, not actual home video release), they have an obligation to quit, or face any cease-or-desist charges from the licensor. Heck, they could even sue them for copyright infringement if they wanted to. Not that they usually do so; it's probably more costly than any gain they hope to get from it, though that doesn't mean it might never happen, either.
Old 2013-12-04, 09:13   Link #158
totoum
Me at work

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
Like Marcus, this event worries me. Despite whatever success CR has in exploiting its niche, the new owners may want more and start expanding the array of offerings CR provides.
They've already declared that's what they want to do, from the ANN article:

Quote:
Peter Chernin released the following statement about the acquisition:

We couldn't be more excited about the future. Our plan is to continue to grow the anime vertical as well as launch new channels in different genres. Online video is growing faster than any other sector within media, and we feel that with Crunchyroll, we have a fantastic, anchor platform.
The fact Chernon refers to anime as a "genre" pretty much sums it up for me.
Old 2013-12-04, 12:40   Link #159
GreyZone
"Senior" "Member"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of Fire View Post
True, but do be aware that fansubbing is more or less illegal as it is. And if a show is licensed (even if it's only for streaming, not actual home video release), they have an obligation to quit, or face any cease-or-desist charges from the licensor. Heck, they could even sue them for copyright infringement if they wanted to. Not that they usually do so; it's probably more costly than any gain they hope to get from it, though that doesn't mean it might never happen, either.
That only applies, if the fansubber is from USA or if there is a licensor in the fansubbers country.

For some reason a lot of people assume that "something licenced in USA = something licenced in whole world".

Now... what do you think happens if the fansubber lives in... let's say Madagascar? I doubt they have many licensors there... and why should that person even care if something waslicenced by, for example, funimation in the USA?
Old 2013-12-04, 14:59   Link #160
bahamut zero
miragecoordinator

Quote:
Peter Chernin released the following statement about the acquisition:

We couldn't be more excited about the future. Our plan is to continue to grow the anime vertical as well as launch new channels in different genres. Online video is growing faster than any other sector within media, and we feel that with Crunchyroll, we have a fantastic, anchor platform.
Now it's just a matter of time until they drop anime because cooking shows turn out to be more profitable.