AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-12-03, 05:14   Link #1
Jarro

Modern, Action Titles

I'm looking for an anime that has alot going for it action wise, and has a modern feel. I'm not really in to the old school samurai thing (although I like samurai champloo and afro samurai because they had a modern feel) I didn't like rorouni kenshin. I like some humor in my animes too. I generally don't like mechs, however TTGL is my favorite anime. I enjoy epicness(lol) and animes that have an impact on people with very identifiable characters.

I'm also up for trying some light hearted animes and sports anime... something funny and feels good to watch.

Anime I absolutely loved, and wish I didn't watch them so I could watch it again and relive the experience
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann
Soul Eater!!!(though I stopped watching it so that I could watch alot of the eps at once)
Full Metal Alchemist

Animes I liked alot:
Samurai Champloo
Ghost In the Shell SAC
Code Geass(though the series annoys me alot in many ways, I can't help enjoying it)
Cowboy Bebop
Bleach
FLCL
Claymore
Yu Yu Hakusho

Animes I liked:
Naruto(The first few episodes atleast, It kind of started getting bad from there.
Outlaw Star
Shaman King (haven;t finished it yet)

Ok Animes:
Prince of Tennis(didn;t finish it tho, cuz it got boring and repetitive)
Rurouni Kenshin(wasn;t bad I just got bored of it quickly)

Animes I don't like or don;t feel like trying:
Any Gundam series
One Peice (though I just hear good things about it and everyone seems to like it. Maybe i should try it)
Old 2008-12-03, 05:28   Link #2
jedinat

Hellsing Ultimate
R.O.D - the TV
Witch Hunter Robin
Black Lagoon
Michiko to Hatchin
Old 2008-12-03, 07:25   Link #3
f4nt4

Trigun, epicness.
You should try one piece if you haven't. at least until arlong arc, cause it seems many people start liking it from that arc, although i personally like all the story.
Old 2008-12-03, 09:26   Link #4
Echoes

Try Darker Than Black.
Old 2008-12-03, 09:47   Link #5
Shadow Kira01

Action titles without comedy or mechas?

Black Blood Brothers
Black Lagoon
Devil May Cry
Gintama
Nabari no Ou
Night Wizard
Persona: Trinity Soul
TOKKO
Yakushiji Ryoko
Old 2008-12-03, 10:48   Link #6
Zippicus

You could give History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi a try. Lots of action, lots of humor, modern setting.
Old 2008-12-03, 13:16   Link #7
Deus ex Digital Boy
21st Century Digital Boy

Seriously, no one mentions Eureka Seven? If you like Gurren Lagann there's like a 100% chance you'll love Eureka Seven.
Old 2008-12-03, 20:25   Link #8
Cherudim Arche

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deus ex Digital Boy View Post
Seriously, no one mentions Eureka Seven? If you like Gurren Lagann there's like a 100% chance you'll love Eureka Seven.
Completely agree with what is said
Old 2008-12-03, 20:38   Link #9
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

D Gray Man: A secret organization created by the church to fight the Millenium Earl, a demon that antagonize God trying to destroy the human world. If you liked Full Metal Alquemist, Bleach and Claymore i think you will definitly enjoy this one.

I know you said that you dont like mecha animes but i'll take the risk and suggest Full Metal Panic... All i've seen are very positive opinions about this series and it is my personal favorite. Top noch action and comedy with a very interesting plot.

Another anime that comes to mind is Fate Stay Night. This one is a fantasy, action, romance anime with one of the most memorable endings (sad one) i've seen so far. Highly recommended.

I will second Kenichi since there arent that many martial arts series set in the present day and there is definitly none that can compare to this series epic comedy. You should check the manga too if you liked the anime.

And for more animes just check my list were all of the have been rated. http://myanimelist.net/animelist/cubito

Edit: I see you mentioned Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop... you could check Trigun, Banner of Stars and Planetes. I found this series similar to them although they are different plot, characters, etc
Old 2008-12-03, 23:04   Link #10
~jacko~

Have to 3rd Kenichi. I saw the first five minutes and thought i would hate it, now im on the 31st episode. This show simply refuses to take itself seriously, and it only gets funnier as it progresses. Plus, if you play sports its pretty inspiring, i cant help myself but to do at least a small workout after every episode.
No one has said Berserk yet, its definitely darker and more serious, but i found it to contain a lot of humor. It had me laughing quite a bit.
Old 2008-12-04, 04:15   Link #11
blewin

I must second Eureka Seven not only because it's a great anime in its own right, but because as a Full Metal Alchemist fan, you can't miss it. These two animes are similar in many ways.

I'd recommend Death Note, the usual recommendation that people give for those who like Code Geass. yeah, totally different genres, but they're both renowned as strategy based animes. Genuis.

Naruto? then you can't go past Hunter x Hunter. It's much better than Naruto with a quicker pace, just equally amazing power model, a great cast of engaging characters. Animation goes up a notch in the Greed Island OVAs, but the animation in general isn't too bad. Really worth a watch.

The law of Ueki is similar to Shaman King in its tournament style fights.
Old 2008-12-04, 04:16   Link #12
train

Eureka Seven was definitely a great anime. Any word on the release date of the movie yet? Can't wait for that.
Old 2008-12-05, 22:02   Link #13
Jarro

thanks guys

ive seen death note btw, i forgot to add that its one of my top.
looks like ill be giving E7 a try, Hunter x Hunter and kenichi.

I think i starte watching darker than black and/or fate stay night but i didn't like them so i stopped, but im not sure... can people remind what these two were about?

any more suggestions? =D
Old 2008-12-06, 01:02   Link #14
incube
Dango Master
*IT Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarro View Post
thanks guys

ive seen death note btw, i forgot to add that its one of my top.
looks like ill be giving E7 a try, Hunter x Hunter and kenichi.

I think i starte watching darker than black and/or fate stay night but i didn't like them so i stopped, but im not sure... can people remind what these two were about?

any more suggestions? =D
I personally didnt like Eureka seven and HxH but i strongly suggest you give Kenichi a try... and watch at leat 5 episodes before deciding xD The manga is a good or even better than the anime.

Fate stay night is about a war in which 7 "servants" are brought from different times and places to serve their respective "masters" in order to fight for the holy grail, an object that can fullfill any wish for the winner. It isnt a torunament style anime... it is much more dramatic and the story is much better / elaborated than the usual tournament animes. The genre should be fantasy / action / romance. It is one of my personal favorites and definitly has one of the most memorable and touching endings of all the series i've seen.

I droped Darker than black couple episodes after it started so i cant give you much info but personally i dont like animes where there isnt romance in them xD
Old 2008-12-12, 07:16   Link #15
Jarro

no more suggestions?
Old 2009-01-02, 19:58   Link #16
Jarro

cmon help please
Old 2009-01-02, 20:38   Link #17
LeoXiao
思想工作

Try Full Metal Panic. It is has mechs (i know i hate them too), but it has comedy going for it and the setting is very military oriented. It also has great characters, which kinda ties into the comedic aspect.
Old 2009-01-02, 21:31   Link #18
SMK666

try gungrave. Its one of the best anime I ever seen. Both action and drama. And really sad at times.
Old 2009-01-02, 21:45   Link #19
CeDeR
Inactive Member

Send a message via ICQ to CeDeR Send a message via AIM to CeDeR Send a message via Yahoo to CeDeR
nevermind......
Old 2009-01-09, 04:24   Link #20
Jarro

anythin else?
Closed Thread