AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Macross > Past Macross Series

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2008-04-24, 00:19   Link #101
ani_d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onizuka-GTO View Post
short answer.

it's all love.

Love is only a possibility, it's all cross-breeding.

Anyway, all this talk about Ranka's ethnicity and Ozma becoming her foster brother (because he failed to protect her family) makes me think Ranka is from a royal blood or something. I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who hasn't watched the previous Macross series.
Old 2008-04-24, 01:24   Link #102
psme

Maybe Ranka has some relation to Protoculture?

regards,

Li On
Old 2008-04-24, 01:43   Link #103
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheebo View Post
Could Ranka be the love child between Guld Goa Boaman (half-zen) and Myung (songestress) one nighter? [after he saves her from the fire] of macruss plus??

a reason i think this is that Ranka "Lee", the Lee part is not her real family name but the adopted name,

and it would make her 1/4 zentran (but the age doesnt add up, she should be 18 not 15)

anyways, Your thoughts people?
There's little to be gained by making Ranka's parents previously established characters, so I find it highly unlikely. Besides; historically, only minor characters have been related to existing characters (the exception being Mylene, but her parents had big roles in Macross 7 itself). It doesn't seem to be a topic that Kawamori seems to be all that interested in his protagonists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
Anyway, all this talk about Ranka's ethnicity and Ozma becoming her foster brother (because he failed to protect her family) makes me think Ranka is from a royal blood or something. I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who hasn't watched the previous Macross series.
Royalty is extremely unlikely since there is effectively no such thing as royals or nobility among humans, and the very concept is foreign to the Zentradi.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psme View Post
Hah!
Old 2008-04-24, 04:53   Link #104
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
That's pretty likely, I mean the vajras have all been after her
Old 2008-04-24, 06:01   Link #105
ReddyRedWolf

Isn't everybody related to the Protoculture?

Sheryl being Nome I'll bet she and Ranka will have a duet and sing those Vajra away.
Old 2008-04-24, 06:58   Link #106
Onizuka-GTO
Holy Beast ~Wuff!~
*Scanlator

Send a message via MSN to Onizuka-GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_d View Post
.....makes me think Ranka is from a royal blood or something. I'm saying this from the perspective of someone who hasn't watched the previous Macross series.
Zentradi & Meltrandi social structures do not have any concept of a heritable figurehead.

They only have two classes, standard troops and commanders.

not sure if standard troops have ranks within, or whether a standard troop can ascend to commander class.

all i know is that commanders are genetically enhanced individuals and form the bulk of the officers and capital ship commanders and have ascending ranks, the highest being the overall fleet commander.

Since UN Spacy is a meritocracy service, i won't be surprised if Ranka has Commander type genetics, but i doubt that will be much influence. considering the number of civilian zentradi's there should be more then one with Commander dna if that was the case.
Old 2008-04-24, 12:41   Link #107
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

I think Ranka is important for the other 3/4 of her dna
Old 2008-04-27, 20:20   Link #108
orion
Waiting for more taiyuki!

And Osma spilled some of the beans in episode 4.

I think that there is more to her being on that doomed research vessel than just following her parents.
Old 2008-04-27, 20:36   Link #109
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by orion View Post
And Osma spilled some of the beans in episode 4.

I think that there is more to her being on that doomed research vessel than just following her parents.
Which probably explains Leon's "interest" in her.

Old 2008-04-28, 02:06   Link #110
yadango

i like her singing a lot better than Sheryl's, i wish they'd kill off Sheryl right now lol
Old 2008-04-28, 09:30   Link #111
herbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadango View Post
i like her singing a lot better than Sheryl's, i wish they'd kill off Sheryl right now lol
Ok, that is my smart Ranka fan. Sheryl is too much a threat to Ranka so just kill her off. Nice idea, my very very smart Ranka fan.

However, if Ranka wants a career in singing, Sheryl is perhpas the only one willing and capable to help her out. And you wish her die, and die immediately. Great. Can the baby stand up by herself, or her princess will help her on feet? Well, let's wait and see how they would deal with those stand before her CoughLeonCoughCathyCoughOzmaCough.
Old 2008-04-28, 10:44   Link #112
4Tran

To be honest, I'm not even sure why a Ranka fan would want to get rid of Sheryl. There's been precisely zero acrimony between the two, and if anything, Sheryl has been more supportive of Ranka than anyone else has been. At this point, they're not even in competition for Alto's affections yet (although that's almost sure to change soon).
Old 2008-04-28, 12:49   Link #113
yadango

i have this feeling sheryl is two-faced. we shall see my sheryl fans .
Old 2008-04-28, 13:41   Link #114
Cadorna

Send a message via MSN to Cadorna
sheryl is not that woman type, she is little arrogant but i have to discover others defects
Old 2008-04-28, 17:43   Link #115
orion

Ranka does sound like a polished Minmei at the Miss Macross Frontier contest. It does make you wonder what she will sound like with coaching, experience and a professional handler behind her. She probably could surpass Sheryl.

I will try not to say anything bad about Sheryl since her fans are pretty sensitive about us discussing her until episode 5.
Old 2008-04-28, 20:46   Link #116
psme

Ranka is around 16 right? Does her go to school? Or work full time at NyanNyan?

regards,

Li On
Old 2008-04-28, 21:30   Link #117
herbert

I know Ranka has inferior complex, what I don't know is Ranka fan seemingly has inferior complex as well. Come on, Sheryl's caress towards is sincere, she has done too much if she just wants to pretends nice. What do you think she can get from Ranka? (unless she is thinking get Ranka to bed)

Quote:
Ranka is around 16 right? Does her go to school? Or work full time at NyanNyan?

regards,

Li On
She attends different school from Alto. You can see her sending mail to Alto on her campus in ep4, there are several students wearing same uniform like her (the white suit she wear in ep2 & 3 is her school uniform.)
Old 2008-04-28, 22:03   Link #118
4Tran

Quote:
Originally Posted by yadango View Post
i have this feeling sheryl is two-faced. we shall see my sheryl fans .
Quote:
I will try not to say anything bad about Sheryl since her fans are pretty sensitive about us discussing her until episode 5.
I'm rather more curious as to why you guys are treating it like some sort of a game with a winner and a loser. While this kind of setup is common in many anime, it doesn't really seem to be the case here (at least not yet), and Sheryl and Ranka seem more interested in each other than in Alto (get your mind out of the gutter! ). Personally, I'm a whole lot more interested in what kind of character tidbits we get, how they progress, and how they will grow than I am in the "competition". And I think that this is one of Macross Frontier's greatest strengths: strong characterizations coupled with interesting personalities immersed in a very detailed world.

Quote:
Ranka does sound like a polished Minmei at the Miss Macross Frontier contest. It does make you wonder what she will sound like with coaching, experience and a professional handler behind her. She probably could surpass Sheryl.
That may well be the case, but I think that there's a whole lot more to Ranka than just that. I think that there's a fair number of interesting things about her; they're just overshadowed by the tons of other cool things in the rest of the show.

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbert View Post
I know Ranka has inferior complex, what I don't know is Ranka fan seemingly has inferior complex as well.
I don't think that Ranka has any sort of inferiority complex: it took a lot of guts to go up on that stage, and she handled herself quite well - even some of the judges thought so. The most that could be said is that she was a little lonely being by herself, but all she really needed was a bit of a perk up.
Old 2008-04-29, 00:14   Link #119
Westlo
Lets be reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4Tran View Post
To be honest, I'm not even sure why a Ranka fan would want to get rid of Sheryl.
I'm betting a lot of them are also Minmay fans and see Sheryl as the second coming of Hayase. I mean Orion already said that they "owe" Minmay fans one so you can see what we're dealing with here. Though I really can't recall another potential love rival get as much hate as Sheryl has when she's been really nice to her rival throughout the series. It's just as puzzling as Zero fans hating Kaname off only the anime episodes shown so far for Vampire Knight... the only reason is that "this person is my favs rival, hate hate hate hate".
Old 2008-04-29, 00:58   Link #120
orion

Well if you want technicality, Ranka x Alto is the first pairing in order of appearance analagous to Misa x Hikaru. They have each other cellphone numbers and it's pretty obvious that would have been a date if Alto wasn't called to duty. Alto is a tsundere and we saw his dere side in the restraurant and at the competition in episode 4.

It's easy to see bad feelings for Sheryl. This is a common scenario when dating. Couple X sees wrench thrown into their relationship by Female Z. So since we have a perceived couple (Ranka x Alto) and a wrench (Sheryl), you can imagine the negative vibes towards the wrench. Plus, Alto has sacrificed everything to protect Ranka, so needless to say the wrench is not going to fair to well.

Since this is the Ranka thread, we should be able to cheer on our fav babe and say negative comments about (diss) any rival.

-----

Actually, I think that Ranka does have an inferiority complex. It reared its head at the end of episode 4. The only thing at the end that keeps her going is Alto and any perceived encouragement from Sheryl. Now if Sheryl and Alto do anything that is perceived by Ranka as a betrayal, then Ranka will prob lose that confidence because I don't see her as the type that would want to crush the competition which is the usual female response.

-----

I must add that the comments about Sheryl so far aren't that bad. So Sheryl fans shouldn't be that much offended.

Last edited by orion; 2008-04-29 at 01:24.
Closed Thread