AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2004-11-27, 13:31   Link #1021
PastPrime

Random Thoughts

Just a few ramblings here on my part.

First, let me say that I am very glad that my wife does not have vectors. If she did then I would not be here to write this. Just imagine Lucy with PMS.

There were some who did not like the ending song. While the tone did not seem to fit the mood of the show, I thought that it was a perfect statement of the way both Lucy/Nyu and Yuka felt about Kouta.

It would appear to me that Lucy was a second generation diclonius just like Nana. She appears to be about the same age as Kouta, which would make her 9 or 10 when they first met and 17 or 18 when they met again. Nana appears to be about the same age as Mayu which would make her around 14. That would make Lucy about four years older than Nana. Since the Institute was not started till the first Diclonius started to kill after they reached 3 years old and since Nana had been there since she was born, that would make the oldest Diclonius in the Institute about 4 years older than Nana, or about the same age as Lucy. Also, she was in an orphanage and everyone knew that she had horns, including just about anyone she could have infected. They would have easily traced it back to her if she was the source. It is likely that whoever or whatever is the source can move around unnoticed and is probably just spreading the virus, not killing anyone. Which brings up another question. Is Lucy the only diclonius Eve? Perhaps there are others who had reasonably happy childhoods, then found their Adams, got married, and are raising the “Destruction of Mankind” and never killed anyone. Perhaps that is why the Chief no longer cared about Lucy’s life. Maybe he had gotten word of one or more Human/Diclonius hybrids being born.

I thought that the best part of the last episode was when Lucy told Nana to go back to Kouta’s house and live the life that she couldn’t. In fact, I got the impression that the last two times that Lucy changed into Nyu she did it deliberately because she wanted to stay with Kouta and she knew that she could not do it as Lucy.

It appeared to me that Lucy was trying to die at the end. She knew that Kouta could not kill her in spite of the promise so she let the soldiers do it. She shot her vectors into the air so she could not instinctively protect herself and then let them shoot her. I do not, however, think that she died. I do think that was her, as Nyu since her horns had not grown back yet, at the end. She already remembered, as Nyu, killing Kouta’s sister. That was why she was apologizing before. I think that she may also remember Kouta telling her that he could never forgive her. That is why she is hesitating. She wants to see Kouta more than anything, but she is afraid that he will reject her and she couldn’t stand that. Also, I don’t think that she is alone. If it is to continue along the line of the Manga I think that she would go off the side of the bridge, seriously wounded, and be rescued by Bando. He has his own code and would feel that he owed her one for letting him live so he would rescue her to repay that, figuring to get his revenge after she recovered. Having someone else kill her would not suit someone like him. He would realize that her Nyu personality was not the same as Lucy and killing her as Nyu would not give him any pleasure. So, when she was healed enough he would let her lead him to where she was staying so he could watch and wait for her to revert to Lucy again. And the Institute would not send more Diclonius to try and locate her until after she had time to grow her horns back.

And I think that seeing Bando die saving Mayu from Lucy could get Kouta in a mood similar to what people have described in the Manga.
PastPrime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 12:01   Link #1022
MakubeX2
うるとらぺど

Mariko ?

Tried making a Nyuu too, but no pink hair avaliable.......

Will see about a Nana.....
MakubeX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-28, 12:06   Link #1023
dreamless
/Ultimate Magic Attack!!!

Ohhhhh.... ILLUSION... so you play games from them too...
dreamless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 02:05   Link #1024
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

I expected that the trend for Elfen Lied die down after a couple of weeks since the last episode broadcast, however, everyone here managed to make it last long.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 02:10   Link #1025
Maceart
Doremi-fansubs founder
*Fansubber

man this thread has over 1000 posts, we need a seperate forum thread! too tiring to go through 52 pages of posts

anyways, elfen lied kicks @$$, and that's my 2 cents on it

AIR 2005! Kanon 2006! CLANNAD 2007-2008! Planetarian OAV/Movie 2010?
Maceart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 03:01   Link #1026
entryway

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer
more non sympathetic and more unforgiving does not always mean she will take everyones life.
Lucy mowing through innocent strangers but sparing the girl she promised to kill is just too significant to be considered a random act or a plot hole
entryway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 22:17   Link #1027
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Send a message via MSN to Reaver4k
Quote:
Originally Posted by entryway
Lucy mowing through innocent strangers but sparing the girl she promised to kill is just too significant to be considered a random act or a plot hole
Maybe she did not want to hurt Kohta or somthing like that.... Did anyone notice, that Nyuu seemed to remember abit of what lucy did to people?
Reaver4k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 23:57   Link #1028
slayer
essense

Send a message via MSN to slayer
lucy may be a lunatic killer by she doesnt want to hurt kouta or his feelings and by killing his friends she is hurting him?

lol i need sleep
slayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-11-30, 23:58   Link #1029
slayer
essense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guido
I expected that the trend for Elfen Lied die down after a couple of weeks since the last episode broadcast, however, everyone here managed to make it last long.
More support damn it!!!
Old 2004-12-01, 00:08   Link #1030
Keitaro
*Kyuuketsuki Otaku*

Quote:
It's to be expected as most people watch the subs and post there comments as the subs are being released. Elfen Lied is one of those shows that scream "Hey look at me, I'm different from the others". I was a little disappointed how they ended the series. I hope they continue the series with a new season otherwise it'll be a shame. I look forward to the DVD's when they get released here in the states.
Old 2004-12-01, 03:00   Link #1031
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keitaro
I was a little disappointed how they ended the series. I hope they continue the series with a new season otherwise it'll be a shame.
Definitely, agreed.

Elfen Lied has lots of potential regarding the characters: emotions, relationships, illusions, troubled pasts, and current personal selves.

As also for the plot.

Just hope that the R2 DVD's will sell and are selling decently or good back in Japan.
Guido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-01, 20:21   Link #1032
slayer
essense

Quote:
Definitely, agreed.

Elfen Lied has lots of potential regarding the characters: emotions, relationships, illusions, troubled pasts, and current personal selves.

As also for the plot.

Just hope that the R2 DVD's will sell and are selling decently or good back in Japan.
maybe they cliff hanged us so they can have more time to draw more?? lol
Old 2004-12-02, 13:01   Link #1033
Elbowlick
Sakura Fan

Quote:
That kind of potential combined with that kind of ending is exactly the kind of thing that fuels doujinshi and fan comics. : )

I mean, it worked on me ~~ NANA FANCOMIC ENSUES!

More here: http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.html

Honestly, as a crazy Nana fanboy, I found the ending very satisfying; who cares about Lucy? Nana survived; that's all that matters. : )
Elbowlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-02, 20:14   Link #1034
slayer
essense

w0rd nice comics
Old 2004-12-02, 20:29   Link #1035
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elbowlick
That kind of potential combined with that kind of ending is exactly the kind of thing that fuels doujinshi and fan comics. : )

I mean, it worked on me ~~ NANA FANCOMIC ENSUES!

More here: http://manga.clone-army.org/nana.html

Honestly, as a crazy Nana fanboy, I found the ending very satisfying; who cares about Lucy? Nana survived; that's all that matters. : )
I say we sacrifice you to our Goddess Lucy!! Also are you a screamer?
Old 2004-12-02, 23:53   Link #1036
slayer
essense

dont sacrifice our own kind! we need more fans so we can start a protest rally lol
Old 2004-12-03, 09:04   Link #1037
Shay
Monarch Programmer

I suspect there will be a second series.

But I thought he same with Hellsing, and look how long that's taking.
Current Album - Vessel by Twenty One Pilots
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2004-12-03, 16:44   Link #1038
Reaver4k
Lucy's "Play Thing"

Quote:
Originally Posted by slayer
dont sacrifice our own kind! we need more fans so we can start a protest rally lol
Good Point, What about some Random person off the streets? Or some of those Bastards at school.... Remember Lucy likes Screamers.
Old 2004-12-03, 17:49   Link #1039
slayer
essense

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shay
I suspect there will be a second series.

But I thought he same with Hellsing, and look how long that's taking.
good things take time =)

and yes reaver4k we shall sacrifice a random person........ i hope we can find someone who hates elfen lied enough that we can sacrifice him..
Old 2004-12-04, 06:18   Link #1040
Dr.Ozzie

Yes, I did register just so I could post in this thread. Hi, everyone.

So, yeah. I'm not really seeing where much of the disappointment toward the ending is coming from. When I was watching this beast, it got to the point where my very mental stability was riding on the ending. I swear, were it not for the working clock and the figure outside the door at the ending, there would be no end to the depression. Nothing's ever - and I speak completely without hyperbole, here - affected me the way Elfen Lied did.

I loved the ending so much that (once I recovered from the shock of it all) I did a little dance celebrating Lucy's good health. The guy I was watching this with also loved the ending, but for different reasons. The whole deal about the Diclonius and humankind destruction and all that jazz made for a cliffhanger for him, which I didn't really care about at all because Woohoo she's okay, she's okay, none of it matters because she's okay! It seems to me that either way, whether it's seen as a dark, unexplained cliffhanger or a tidy, happy reunion, there's something to like about this ending. I actually hope they don't make more of this series (what are the chances of that, anyway?). Especially if, as people are saying, the dominant personality is now Nyuu... yuck.

If it weren't for the completely needless over-the-top aspects of this anime, it'd be unquestionably my favorite series of all time. As it is, it's a close second for me to Lain. Hopefully the love for this insane piece of work doesn't taper off as much as some folks expect it to.

Cheers, all! ^_^

Edit: for the record, it's been about a month since I saw first it.
Dr.Ozzie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, ecchi, horror, loli, romance, seinen