Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2011-11-01, 22:47   Link #9661
HasuMasu
*Artist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
Not always a given...

... but when did this turn into a cooking thread? If you don't know how to cook, invest in a slow cooker. It requires some advance planning (your food won't be ready for 4-10 hours after you start preparing it), but you can dump all of your ingredients into it (including frozen vegetables and meat that isn't cut up) and just let it go. Mix it around when it's done - the meat will be soft enough that it rips apart easily - and there you go, a full meal, all made effortlessly. You can make a variety of foods with the slow cooker, and you can spice it up by combining it with food prepared via other means, too.

After a bit of a hiatus, I'm temporarily back on AnimeSuki for tonight because someone called me out for technical support. This thread always seems to be active, and I always check it... ah well, back to idling.
Hmm, I didn't know there was a machine that could cook for you, that sounds awesome.
Old 2011-11-01, 23:16   Link #9662
Endless Soul
Megane girl fan

Plus the smell of a slow cooker when you get home ~droool~

It may not seem like it, but being able to cook will score high points with your date especially if you're a guy. Trust me.
Old 2011-11-02, 17:35   Link #9663
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystique View Post
Or you could just begin this week...
Yeah, I meant it'll be my new years resolution to learn how to cook. PROPERLY. I can only make stupid things like microwave meals and beans on toast.. it'll take me ages to learn considering I did cooking class at school and failed. -even though I had help on demand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Never too late, I only really started to learn when I was 21 (started with rice... served with rice, and a side of rice, pretty much ate that for a year...). There's some basic skills to learn, but they come with time.

I'll agree with zebra about baking. People will automatically like you more after eating one of your homebaked cupcakes.
Yaay, I like rice ~ I can make oven chips too ^^;; hehe.
I will defo take up baking though, and learn to prepare some basic stuff.
&& no way, my boyfriend nearly died when he tried my homebaked cookies. - my sister helped me though so it's understandable. Hehe, but I will do my best!

Quote:
Not always a given...

... but when did this turn into a cooking thread? If you don't know how to cook, invest in a slow cooker. It requires some advance planning (your food won't be ready for 4-10 hours after you start preparing it), but you can dump all of your ingredients into it (including frozen vegetables and meat that isn't cut up) and just let it go. Mix it around when it's done - the meat will be soft enough that it rips apart easily - and there you go, a full meal, all made effortlessly. You can make a variety of foods with the slow cooker, and you can spice it up by combining it with food prepared via other means, too.

After a bit of a hiatus, I'm temporarily back on AnimeSuki for tonight because someone called me out for technical support. This thread always seems to be active, and I always check it... ah well, back to idling.
Welcome back to AS ~ You should come here more often.

&& ahh the wonders of a slow cooker, we don't have one but I know my dad is buying one soon ~ but it sounds so good, thanks for telling me how.. means I can give it a try, especially with meat.. mmm..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Last Sinner View Post
Apples are one of the easier fillings to bake with.

Whatever you choose to do, keep them light. If your guy is sporty, don't load stuff up on sugar. Keep him in shape!
Yes! I make a killer apple crumble ~ hehe ~ && I will look up recipes to suit his needs, although.. he's away loads anyway so I won't need to cook for him often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless Soul View Post
Plus the smell of a slow cooker when you get home ~droool~

It may not seem like it, but being able to cook will score high points with your date especially if you're a guy. Trust me.
IKR, mmmm ~
I'm a girl.
But yes, he is an excellent cook and really makes things so much better! Means we don't always have to eat out ~

ANYWAY, everyone get back on topic of your dating issues ~ because I'm now going to buy a slow cooker, learn to bake, learn to cook & see if my food is good!
Thanks for everyone who helped me!

-- I'll be back.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 18:36   Link #9664
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Aren't slow cookers only really good for stew though? I don't know, grilling/toasting isn't that hard guys. Pop the meat in the oven at 180 C, set a timer for ~20 minutes -> Eat.
DonQuigleone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 19:14   Link #9665
Sumeragi
Banned

Something irrelevant: Whenever I see Miko Miko's name come up in this thread, I keep thinking of a H-Doujinshi where a miko named Miko does some misfortune extraction.
Sumeragi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-02, 23:48   Link #9666
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Detective-san View Post
Hmm, I didn't know there was a machine that could cook for you, that sounds awesome.
It's just relatively high heat over a very long period of time, in a covered container such that things don't dry out. That becomes the real trick with slow cookers - figuring out how much liquid to put in. If you want it to be soupy/stew-like, fill it up. If you want something different, you need a more precise amount of liquid, also taking into account the fact that your meat and other materials will give off some liquid as they cook.

I actually have two slow cookers (although one is a multi-function device). The multi-function one has a lid that seals, and it never dries out. In fact, it's usually too wet for my tastes. I prefer to use the traditional slow cooker in most cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
Welcome back to AS ~ You should come here more often.
I'd love to, but I just keep getting busier and busier... and on top of that, I'm so far behind on anime series that I don't even recognize titles anymore. This forum used to be home, but these days I feel like a foreigner here

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonQuigleone View Post
Aren't slow cookers only really good for stew though? I don't know, grilling/toasting isn't that hard guys. Pop the meat in the oven at 180 C, set a timer for ~20 minutes -> Eat.
Grilling, toasting, frying, baking... none of it is particularly difficult, but a slow cooker is the ultimate in ease. It's also very forgiving - no matter how long you cook the food for, it won't be overdone (although vegetables can turn to paste) or lose flavor. That isn't true with the other methods, where you need to carefully balance cook time so that your food isn't underdone (dangerous to eat) or overdone (loses flavor and texture).

Slow cookers lend themselves to stews, but you can definitely make other things in them. It depends on your model of slow cooker, how much liquid you put in, whether you use any thickeners (cream soup, flour), and how long you cook for. I usually cook for a long cycle (10 hours) and don't overload on liquid; at the end of the cycle, my meal is fairly dry (usually to the point of having some stuff caked on the sides of the ceramic) and ready to go.

Side note: holy crap, this is my first time seeing my age listed as 26 on this site. It's been almost ten years since I started coming here - what a weird feeling to think that I first started coming here in high school...
Old 2011-11-03, 05:49   Link #9667
Miko Miko
Imouto-Chan♥
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
I'd love to, but I just keep getting busier and busier... and on top of that, I'm so far behind on anime series that I don't even recognize titles anymore. This forum used to be home, but these days I feel like a foreigner here
Me too, I don't recognise hardly any of the titles..
Which is a shame seeing as I love this forum, it's the one I've been on the longest too.

Miko Miko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 11:49   Link #9668
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miko Miko View Post
Me too, I don't recognise hardly any of the titles..
Which is a shame seeing as I love this forum, it's the one I've been on the longest too.
You have a boyfriend. More important.
Old 2011-11-03, 12:50   Link #9669
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
Grilling, toasting, frying, baking... none of it is particularly difficult, but a slow cooker is the ultimate in ease. It's also very forgiving - no matter how long you cook the food for, it won't be overdone (although vegetables can turn to paste) or lose flavor. That isn't true with the other methods, where you need to carefully balance cook time so that your food isn't underdone (dangerous to eat) or overdone (loses flavor and texture).

Slow cookers lend themselves to stews, but you can definitely make other things in them. It depends on your model of slow cooker, how much liquid you put in, whether you use any thickeners (cream soup, flour), and how long you cook for. I usually cook for a long cycle (10 hours) and don't overload on liquid; at the end of the cycle, my meal is fairly dry (usually to the point of having some stuff caked on the sides of the ceramic) and ready to go.
I never thought much of a slow cooker until my girlfriend purchased one. It is one of the easiest things to use and you can make practically anything in it. It's awesome cooking something the night before and waking up to a delicious meal that you can smell in the morning or whenever you come home from work or whatever. You can put practically anything in there and it will fuse together into a nice meal. Not to mention you don't have to spread everything out with different dishes and pots like when you cook normally.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-03, 23:03   Link #9670
HasuMasu
*Artist

^ That might be useful for me eventually, I'm afraid of fire so cooking normally is a bit far off, the again there's the microwave, but that gets kinda lame over time.
Old 2011-11-04, 00:37   Link #9671
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

Quote:
^ That might be useful for me eventually, I'm afraid of fire so cooking normally is a bit far off, the again there's the microwave, but that gets kinda lame over time.
You can use electric rings. But frankly, it's not that hard to learn how to use a toaster oven.

I only use microwaves for reheating.
Old 2011-11-04, 00:39   Link #9672
HasuMasu
*Artist

The microwave is my best friend right now because my body is made of 150% Hot Pockets.
Old 2011-11-04, 01:19   Link #9673
Samari
World's Greatest

Quote:
I am also afraid of getting burned when cooking. I have pot holders on a lot of the time. Bacon is especially dangerous. I remember one time cooking bacon in a pan and I was standing about two feet from the stove and a bit of the oil popped and an itty bitty piece went on my eye lash. Thank goodness I have unusually long lashes for a guy.

"Every light must fade, every heart return to darkness!"
永遠不要失去信心,你的命運。
Samari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 01:29   Link #9674
HasuMasu
*Artist

I often get the "Your eyelashes are pretty long." comment too.
Old 2011-11-04, 02:25   Link #9675
Last Sinner
You're Hot, Cupcake

I get the 'Your skin is softer than mine!' a lot.
Old 2011-11-04, 02:31   Link #9676
HasuMasu
*Artist

Not to mention the "I have manlier finger than you, and I'm a girl!".

*And thus, all means were used to keep this thread from sinking into the abyss...*
Old 2011-11-04, 02:39   Link #9677
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

My mother wishes she has my delicate eyebrows, and my GF wishes she had skin as light as mine.

Ascaloth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 05:39   Link #9678
Mr.Raw
Permanent Lurker
*Graphic Designer

Send a message via AIM to Mr.Raw Send a message via MSN to Mr.Raw
Women envy my "beautiful" eyebrows @_@"

Random info:
Signature: Desert Punk

Mr.Raw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2011-11-04, 06:16   Link #9679
HasuMasu
*Artist

"And thus was how men and women discovered that society's image of them was flipped."
Old 2011-11-04, 07:26   Link #9680
DonQuigleone
Knight Errant

My fellow efeminate men! I feel your pain!

At least I don't get women saying "I have a manlier beard then your feminine tuft..."

Tags
advice, break-ups, dating, dating after divorce, divorce, happiness, love, pairings, single dad, single mom