AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Durarara!!

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2010-05-14, 17:26   Link #41
King Lycan
User Title eaten by ravenous bunnies
*IT Support

After watching 18 I don't know if Izaya told Saki to tell Kida to ask him for help fighting the Blue Square's knowing that they would have played dirty by kidnapping Saki and purposely not answer the phone when Kida called him . Or if he even helped the blue square's kidnap Saki . Or if he didn't do anything , but Izaya seems to be "evil" or tryies to appear that way either way i don't like him
Old 2010-05-15, 02:56   Link #42
xxBluebird

Wow Izaya really is an evil bastard in the latest episode... Simultaneously "Poor Kida" and "IZAYA YOU'RE SO AWESOME *heart*".
But I haven't seen the whole series yet, so maybe he's always been like that.

Izaya's my favourite character - it used to be because he just seemed so insanehappymean, but now it's because he's the person who put EVERYTHING into motion, eg the wars and stuff like that.

Is he human or not? Humans don't seem to refer to themselves in third person much, but in the novels (especially/mainly/only the novels) there are moments when he seems simply human. In the anime... I'm not too sure. He might just be rather psycho.

His chess board makes no sense to me. Does anyone know how the go and shoji pieces work? @_@;

Spoiler for Episode 18:

This guy is just so weird, he's really interesting, whether you love him or hate him.

Last edited by xxBluebird; 2010-05-15 at 20:02.
Old 2010-05-15, 15:53   Link #43
Kafriel
Senior Guest

So, what's this guy's job? He's no student, he's always seen in a huge-ass office (or is that his house?) and he's not part of a specific gang...
Old 2010-05-15, 16:41   Link #44
BoopDeWoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kafriel View Post
So, what's this guy's job? He's no student, he's always seen in a huge-ass office (or is that his house?) and he's not part of a specific gang...
Yes, that is his house, and he's an information broker.
Namie is his assistant.
He's a member of dollars
Spoiler for Gangs:

Geez, I swear they repeated this a million times in the light novels and anime, he even just stated the fact that he was an information broker in the last episode.
Oh, and he graduated high school he's
Spoiler for Izaya:

The lovely avi and sig are by Stainglass

Last edited by BoopDeWoop; 2010-05-15 at 18:26.
Old 2010-05-16, 04:28   Link #45
Crontica

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoopDeWoop View Post
Yes, that is his house, and he's an information broker.
Namie is his assistant.
He's a member of dollars
Spoiler for Gangs:

Geez, I swear they repeated this a million times in the light novels and anime, he even just stated the fact that he was an information broker in the last episode.
Oh, and he graduated high school he's
Spoiler for Izaya:
We all took that purely as sarcasm, as everything that comes out of his mouth sounds like a cynical joke.
Old 2010-05-16, 04:32   Link #46
Arbitres
Disabled By Request

Quote:
We all took that purely as sarcasm, as everything that comes out of his mouth sounds like a cynical joke.
I agree, best to take what Izaya says with a pinch of salt. He is more liable to stomp on your cell phone, call it a hobby - then get bored and say it wasn't a hobby anymore, then he is to tell the whole truth.

=)
Old 2010-05-16, 04:55   Link #47
xxBluebird

I think he really is an information broker...
Take the Kida/Blue Squares incident. And his willingness to help Namie find her brother (or whoever else needed to be found etc). Or is that just something he does for free or fun? But he has to get money somehow. He's pretty rich for a ~23 year old.
Same with his humanloving which actually seems pretty genuine @_@

Anyway he's a weird one and should not be trusted.

Do you reckon he's actually 23? Does it work out with all the years in the novels and stuff? I mean, if he's willing to tell people he's 21... and then tell other people he's 23...
Old 2010-05-16, 09:34   Link #48
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

I honestly thought that was his whole job too, I'm sure a lot of groups in the city would pay a pretty penny (erm, yen) for information on the yakuza and such or Izaya could be making a lot of money like that.
Old 2010-05-16, 09:44   Link #49
StudioJC
Loser-Bum

Whatever Izaya is, we can all agree that he's evil.
Old 2010-05-16, 09:46   Link #50
LKK

I never doubted that he was an information broker because we've seen little instances here and there where he's supplying information to others. I think most of Celty's assignments come from Izaya, don't they?

Avatar: Hazuki of Natsuyuki Rendezvous / Signature: flowers from Natsuyuki Rendezvous
Old 2010-05-16, 11:03   Link #51
BoopDeWoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxBluebird View Post
I think he really is an information broker...
Take the Kida/Blue Squares incident. And his willingness to help Namie find her brother (or whoever else needed to be found etc). Or is that just something he does for free or fun? But he has to get money somehow. He's pretty rich for a ~23 year old.
Same with his humanloving which actually seems pretty genuine @_@

Anyway he's a weird one and should not be trusted.

Do you reckon he's actually 23? Does it work out with all the years in the novels and stuff? I mean, if he's willing to tell people he's 21... and then tell other people he's 23...

Quote:
"You said you graduated six or seven years ago...but didn't you also say you were 21 years old?"

"I've been telling people I was 21 since ages ago - or were you under the impression that I would just feed them my real personal information for free?"

Namie just listened for a second without feeling like there was anything to say - and then, pausing suddenly, turned her eyes to Izaya for the first time.

"Does that mean you have some trust in me now?"

"It's different from real trust...I just felt like I should at least tell you a thing or two about myself to keep my right-hand woman from turning against me."

"Why don't you just go and die already?"
That was from the light novel, he only told Namie his age due to the fact that he doesn't want other people to know much about him. I'm not sure about everyone else's ages though.

Old 2010-05-16, 17:02   Link #52
LeaD36
LeaDfactor

Send a message via MSN to LeaD36
are the light novels translated to some extent?
Old 2010-05-16, 17:30   Link #53
BoopDeWoop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeaD36 View Post
are the light novels translated to some extent?
Yep! They're pretty much fully translated.
Here

Old 2010-05-22, 19:56   Link #54
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoopDeWoop View Post
That was from the light novel, he only told Namie his age due to the fact that he doesn't want other people to know much about him. I'm not sure about everyone else's ages though.
Didn't he also state that he was 23 in front of Mikado and Anri in episode 3? (though he was talking to those GALs rather then them...)

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-07-27, 14:56   Link #55
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
So I'm watching this anime, and everything this Izaya guy does tells me that he's a terrible person. But I can't seem to hate him...

Whatever his case is, he sure is charismatic about it. I think I'll call him the uber-troll from now on.

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Old 2010-09-14, 00:52   Link #56
karice67
さっく♥ゆうきゃん♥ほそやん

Just wanted to post something that cracked me up completely...

On a Joysound survey of "which anime character you want to go to karaoke with", our favourite information broker came second, and the song they wanted him to sing was...

Spoiler for Surely you don't even need to look, right?:

How Suetsugu Yuki drew the cover for Chihayafuru volume 34

Interview translations etc

You must free yourself from that illusion,
from the illusion that a story must have a beginning and an end.

"No, you are not entitled to your opinion... You are only entitled to what you can argue for.”
- Patrick Stokes

Old 2010-09-17, 08:07   Link #57
mr. sebastian

i haven't watch this anime but i guess this is kinda cool anime especially when i read the story on my otakuzine magazine i guess the story was pretty cool
Old 2011-08-25, 01:19   Link #58
ronin myael
lost ronin

yes, he's an evil, scheming, manipulative jerk but i love him! he's one of those anti-heroes that you just can't hate because he's so freaking brilliant and unique. kudos to the author for creating such a colorful, interesting and multi-layered character.
Old 2014-06-29, 08:53   Link #59
Minami Kinou

uhm, i'm kinda new about DuRaRaRa... or this web...i've only watched episode 18 to 24 in the anime... but i'm intrigue by izaya's personality...

as far as i know, he claims to be god, he plays god cause he can read / predict other people's reaction, i assume he likes game and he likes to be the one who control it...

i think he was predicting the situation on his chess board (?) and see if his humans move as he predicted, usually a person will be quite happy when things goes right as he/she planned/predict, maybe that's the joy he found on his weird game... yet, he's predicting a human being which is alive and can changes, so sometimes it might won't go as izaya has predicted, i assume that's the interesting part for him, he wanted to see how the 'pieces' will move, although he may be already predict that too...

i still don't understand yet i want to know how his mind works, i'll be bored if i played chess when i already know how it'll go, but not him.... he likes it when the whole pieces in the chess board moved as he predicted...although, yeah, it's NOT just a chess piece that he moved, it's a life...
Old 2015-04-10, 14:16   Link #60
Kiki Sitouki

Spoiler for spoiler regarding izaya in the light novels:
Closed Thread