AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Danganronpa

Notices

View Poll Results: Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc - Episode 4 Rating
Perfect 10 2 28.57%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 1 14.29%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 3 42.86%
7 out of 10 : Good 0 0%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 1 14.29%
4 out of 10 : Poor 0 0%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 0 0%
Voters: 7. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2016-08-08, 08:45   Link #41
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengar View Post
Well idk how else to describe it. I've read Suzumiya Haruhi, and Harry Potter, and I would not describe those as "wordy". I mean, there are words, but none of them feel wasted. In IF, they do.

In particular, the action scenes are terrible to get through. Not every muscle movement needs to be described. It's very jarring when people do that.
I wouldn't consider Harry Potter as a Light Novel... despite being a close-ish western equivalent I guess. Anyway yeah, I don't have that much experience, just extrapolating from my few forays into the genre. I guess it just feels like fanfiction or self-taught writers who try to translate the experience of watching an anime into writing. My point was I managed to wade through DR IF, but DR Zero was so much worse having all those things in even greater amount plus OTHER flaws, that I couldn't do it.

My other fanfiction can be found here.
Old 2016-08-08, 09:40   Link #42
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

I didn't mean to say it was a "Light Novel". Not sure if the volume of the book has anything to do with it. It's about the content itself.
Old 2016-08-08, 12:49   Link #43
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
That is indeed true, but what I'm talking about is sheer quality of writing. You can write a novel from the POV of an unreliable AND unsympathetic narrator and still don't write it like shit. The writing in Zero was all over the place, sometimes you wouldn't understand what was going on, other times the dialogue was supposed to sound "chatty" but sounded more like a random generator threw words together without sense. That's why I suspect translation shenanigans are involved, I've often seen this kind of thing in Light Novels and sometimes it looks like someone relied on Google Translate a bit too much here and there.
I mean LN typically aren't literary masterpieces (insert Fukawa quote here) and their translations less so but... did you ever see Memento? Because its very much following that sort of template. Being hard to follow is a huge part of the intent so maybe I'm misunderstanding but what you're saying just seems like a bizarre complaint to me.

Anyway while there is backstory as well as setup for SDR2 its basically all in the background, which is why I say its sort of skippable. Its definitely worth checking out, but it is a character study first and foremost.
Old 2016-08-08, 14:41   Link #44
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
I mean LN typically aren't literary masterpieces (insert Fukawa quote here) and their translations less so but... did you ever see Memento? Because its very much following that sort of template. Being hard to follow is a huge part of the intent so maybe I'm misunderstanding but what you're saying just seems like a bizarre complaint to me.

Anyway while there is backstory as well as setup for SDR2 its basically all in the background, which is why I say its sort of skippable. Its definitely worth checking out, but it is a character study first and foremost.
I haven't seen Memento, but there's a difference between something that sounds weird or incoherent because it's made to purposefully give that feeling and something that's just weird and incoherent because the writer doesn't know any better. DR Zero struck me as the latter. Especially because if it was just what you mentioned it would only be the narrator who doesn't make sense, and instead it's everyone. I remember Junko being especially nonsensical. And not in a "she says crazy things" way, but in a "this is not how sentences are actually constructed" way. I don't know how to explain it better. Maybe the writer was trying to go for that kind of feeling, but not being good enough they ended up screwing up, and would have done better to stick to a more traditional style.

Old 2016-08-08, 16:00   Link #45
stray
Speedy Sea Cucumber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gan_HOPE326 View Post
Especially because if it was just what you mentioned it would only be the narrator who doesn't make sense, and instead it's everyone.
Being unreliable isn't about making sense its about a narrator's credibility. Whether they are (or are capable of) telling the truth or not.
Old 2016-08-09, 08:01   Link #46
Gan_HOPE326
Maddo Scientisto

Quote:
Originally Posted by stray View Post
Being unreliable isn't about making sense its about a narrator's credibility. Whether they are (or are capable of) telling the truth or not.
Well, depend, on the reason why the narrator is unreliable. It might be they're just lying, or it may be they're outright delirious. This is closer to the second case, that's why I assimilated it to not making sense.

Old 2016-09-21, 12:22   Link #47
pervypig

Something just struck me as fridge-odd... Why didn't Ruruka taste her own pastries before presenting to the judges? Chefs and confectioners usually taste-eat their own dishes while cooking to ensure the right amount of condiments. It is always this kind of trope that happens with killer-chefs, right?
Old 2016-09-22, 12:18   Link #48
Klashikari
阿賀野型3番艦、矢矧 Lv180
*Graphic Designer

You can argue that Ruruka is so full of herself that she believes her pastries wouldn't have a odd taste or something like that.
Old 2016-09-22, 18:27   Link #49
Dengar
Kamen Rider Muppeteer

Why would she taste test food that has drugs in it?
Old 2016-10-21, 23:55   Link #50
Guido
Snobby Gentleman

IMO, Seiko and Ruruka used to be cute when they were high-school students going to the same Hope's Peak Academy, though at that point in their lives friction was already brewing between the two.

It's too sad that due to devil's luck, some random design of fate, or whatever cursed effects that Nagito Komaeda's luck bring to other people those two girls experienced their most embarrasing moment of their lives and had their careers cut short due to that incident.

How something that trivial for asking drugs turned into a spiral bomb, escalating and then blowing out of proportions? My reply is to give thanks mostly to Naegito Komaeda's luck.

So, from here I understood how much Ruruka and Seiko began distrusting each other to the point of murderous hatred, as is seen in the Future chapters.
Old 2019-02-26, 18:36   Link #51
FFTHEWINNER

-that Nanami scene at the beginning is just sad and despair inducing. damn :'(

-this episode made it pretty clear that sweets girl is not only a b****,but the WORST kind of b****. I legit LOATH those kinds of people,the ones that claim to be friends just to use you. it is the worst kind. she got what she deserves for sure. i am legit sad that pharmacist girl got fired though. our poor representative didnt deserve it at all :'(

-there were two nice throwbacks to chapter 5 of DR2. One was the bombs being a reference to the 1st part of chapter 5,and the second one was the coats explaining how he isnt responsible because he planned it but his luck led to others doing it,just like the case in that chapter.

-the judges literally got color from the cakes XD

-how the hell did an explosion like that leave no one murdered? pretty certain from the wreckage that that is an impossibility >_>

-protect everyone. fairly certain this request will be part of the reason for the events to come.

-at this point i am almost certain that Junko herself will kill Nanami,most likely in front of the whole class, thus turning the whole class and hajime to despairs.

-yokizome legit rocks. poor girl. she protected nagito too

this was a pretty good episode,although i wanted to see something of hajime himself.
Closed Thread