Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Madoka Magica

Notices

Old 2013-04-13, 08:12   Link #61
silvercover
Romance Expert

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitten320 View Post
Also why did Mami kill herself?
a few months old but I guess I should give this a better answer.

mami killed herself due to the large amounts of pressure that she took up after sayaka and kyouko died, she basically felt these were her faults. I believe this is more than just dying to avoid being turned into a witch, she likely went after kyouko since she's holding her ribbon when she killed herself.
silvercover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-04, 13:07   Link #62
Triple_R
*Author

Send a message via AIM to Triple_R
I recently read some of this.

I loved the first volume. That did a great job of fleshing out Mami and Kyouko's backstories, and more deeply exploring the relationship between the two of them.

But once the narrative switches to "present day" with Sayaka active as a magical girl, it quickly goes downhill to me. The dialogue and character thoughts descend into Whedon-esque psycho-babble and endless self-analysis and ridiculous self-loathing. Sayaka in particular becomes a painful caricature of herself, and she ultimately drags almost everybody else down with her; deep down into the black hole of breath-taking stupidity and silliness.

The middle portions of the manga have so many facepalm moments, so many moments where I honestly felt like slapping one or more of these characters (and given how much I usually like them, that is saying something). This manga makes most of the main cast characters out to be neurotic in the extreme, like they're freaking Batman rogues. I dropped it around Chapter 7, as I just couldn't take the character stupidity any more.

Volume 1 I consider excellent supplemental material to the anime, and invaluable reading for any Mami and/or Kyouko fan. But as for the rest... Blech. No thank you.
Old 2013-08-05, 09:25   Link #63
maximilianjenus
[E]

now you know how homura feels.
maximilianjenus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-05, 11:05   Link #64
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximilianjenus View Post
now you know how homura feels.
I have to admit, you may well have a point.

I also have to admit that if I was a Sayaka-hater, I would feel almost totally vindicated by this manga. But as a big Sayaka-fan, my response is naturally quite different.

My mind has been greatly caught up in the mind-blowing character stupidity in the middle portions of this manga. I just can't get over it. I feel compelled to express myself more thoroughly here. In the spoiler space below, I will go into detail over my issues with the middle portions of this manga, and the character actions contained within. This will also involve comparisons to the anime, so for those who may have read the manga but haven't watched the anime, consider this a spoiler warning.

Spoiler for Triple_R's anime/manga critique and comparison:
Old 2013-08-07, 10:29   Link #65
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple_R View Post
Snip

Well, it's well known that word of god (Gen Urobuchi) asserts that Sayaka is screwed in any and every time-line, in Madoka Magica. Unfortunately, the manga had to keep to that standard, and even when it offered a set-up that should have saved Sayaka, I imagine it had no choice but to keep to the standard of "Sayaka is always doomed once she contracts", even if it requires astonishing and breathtaking levels of plot induced stupidity, and gigantic star-sized idiot balls.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-07, 11:21   Link #66
bhl88
Otaku Apprentice

Send a message via MSN to bhl88 Send a message via Yahoo to bhl88
Quote:
Originally Posted by novalysis View Post
Well, it's well known that word of god (Gen Urobuchi) asserts that Sayaka is screwed in any and every time-line, in Madoka Magica. Unfortunately, the manga had to keep to that standard, and even when it offered a set-up that should have saved Sayaka, I imagine it had no choice but to keep to the standard of "Sayaka is always doomed once she contracts", even if it requires astonishing and breathtaking levels of plot induced stupidity, and gigantic star-sized idiot balls.
Unless Homura becomes a drill seargant, Sayaka can't be saved (refer to PSP route)
Old 2013-08-07, 17:56   Link #67
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Well, it's well known that word of god (Gen Urobuchi) asserts that Sayaka is screwed in any and every time-line, in Madoka Magica.
Then I guess Gen deserves some blame for the weaknesses in this manga. I can see the thematic value in Sayaka's fall in the main timeline of Madoka Magica, but insisting that she experiences that fall in every timeline is just silly, and really hurts the overall effectiveness of AU's like this one if its followed even when it doesn't make sense.

Thankfully, Oriko Magica was willing to buck Gen's assertion here, and hence its character actions made a helluva lot more sense.
Old 2013-08-08, 11:44   Link #68
Kazu-kun

Different Story was written by Hanokage, so it's to be expected that the characterization would feel different than when written by Gen. Besides, Hanokage himself admits he was kinda experimenting with "what if" scenarios, and that's probably why it feels a bit like a fanfic.
Old 2013-08-09, 13:12   Link #69
NTFTH

Quote:
Well, it's well known that word of god (Gen Urobuchi) asserts that Sayaka is screwed in any and every time-line, in Madoka Magica.
I'm pretty sure the Word Of God only says she's doomed if she becomes a magical girl. If she doesn't she can avoid her fate like in Oriko Magica.
NTFTH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-08-12, 00:25   Link #70
novalysis

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTFTH View Post
I'm pretty sure the Word Of God only says she's doomed if she becomes a magical girl. If she doesn't she can avoid her fate like in Oriko Magica.
Ah, so that's it. I guess my memories weren't that accurate after all.

But still, if you think of it closely, all Puella Magis are doomed once they become a magical girl, before Ultimate Madoka.
novalysis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-02, 00:04   Link #71
Sayaka's sandbag

My second volume of Oriko is on it's way to me :3. Can't wait.

From what I've read of The Different Story it sounds like could be rather good, I'm a little disappointed with Kazumi Magica, not sure why other than maybe it just doesn't capture me like with how the original anime/manga and Oriko does.
Old 2013-11-08, 18:45   Link #72
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

I loved what they did with Mami and Kyouko in this manga. I assume their backstory isn't canon though, is it?
Old 2013-11-08, 20:17   Link #73
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Why wouldn't it be? They're clearly implied to have known each other in some form in the anime.
Old 2013-11-08, 20:22   Link #74
Triple_R
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanon View Post
I loved what they did with Mami and Kyouko in this manga. I assume their backstory isn't canon though, is it?
I intend to take it as canon unless Gen or a higher-up at SHAFT says otherwise.

The backstory given to Mami/Kyouko in this was indeed excellent.
Old 2013-11-08, 22:54   Link #75
BloodyKitty
Raindrop Melancholy

The backstory of Mami/Kyouko in the first volume is based on the Drama CD 3, which is considered canon material, since it was released along with the TV series' BDs. There are some little differences between the Drama CD version and this manga version of their backstory, but the gist is pretty much the same.

You guys can watch the drama CD 3 here, with sub:

I also recommend the first Drama CD, which told about Madoka's wish to become Puella Magi in the original timeline.

Drama CD 2 & 4 are some stories about the 5 girls in some alternate timelines, where fans can get a taste of how the 5 girls live in a more conventional mahou shoujo daily lives.
The fact that you hate
The fact that you scream
The fact that you suffer
The fact that you mourn
The fact that you despair
Or the fact that you come to a resolution

Cannot prove that you are right.
~Everybody Has the Right to Make Mistakes~ - Quoted from Kino's Journey Vol. 12
BloodyKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 12:26   Link #76
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
Why wouldn't it be? They're clearly implied to have known each other in some form in the anime.
Because spin-off manga are usually not considered canon, unless the original creator himself states they are. We knew Mami and Kyouko were acquainted and that's about it, it was never implied they were almost as close as sisters.

Good to know this is actually canon. Makes me wish for Mami and Kyouko to get some moments together in future Madoka works. I like Mami x Kyouko better than Kyouko x Sayaka now, but I'm not against a threesome.
Old 2013-11-09, 13:38   Link #77
Shadow5YA

Quote:
-snip-
Spoiler for anime and manga spoilers:
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-09, 13:58   Link #78
AuraTwilight
The True Culprit

Send a message via AIM to AuraTwilight Send a message via MSN to AuraTwilight
Quote:
Because spin-off manga are usually not considered canon, unless the original creator himself states they are.
That's a boring approach to things. I usually take the exact opposite: Stuff is canon unless stated otherwise.
Old 2013-11-09, 14:33   Link #79
Triple_R
*Author

My response to Shadow5YA is in Spoiler Space below. Don't read it if you don't want to be spoiled on the manga and/or the anime.

Spoiler for Anime and Manga spoilers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraTwilight View Post
That's a boring approach to things. I usually take the exact opposite: Stuff is canon unless stated otherwise.
If stuff is useful in filling in blanks that you know are there (i.e. just from the anime alone, we know that Kyouko knew Mami, so the two most have spent at least some time together), then I tend to default to treating it as canon.

Otherwise, I'll take it or leave it on the basis of whether or not I like it.

Last edited by Triple_R; 2013-11-09 at 14:53.
Triple_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-11-10, 12:23   Link #80
Shadow5YA

Quote:
My response to Shadow5YA is in Spoiler Space below. Don't read it if you don't want to be spoiled on the manga and/or the anime.

Spoiler for manga and anime spoilers:
Shadow5YA is online now   Reply With Quote