AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat

Notices

Old 2008-04-04, 00:29   Link #1421
Ledgem
Love Yourself

I was reading some of the very first posts in this forum (2004 - it's fun to occasionally go back and see what the forum culture was like back then. I missed it since I largely hung out in the tech support forum exclusively back then) and these two questions did come up. Favorite moderator thread was rejected. A flame/spam forum was rejected as well.

As to your question about the rep system, you will undoubtedly be told by a moderator to read the rep FAQ. I've read it over many times by now and so can tell you with confidence that yes, for every 100 points you get a block.
Old 2008-04-04, 00:32   Link #1422
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ledgem View Post
I've read it over many times by now and so can tell you with confidence that yes, for every 100 points you get a block.
You sure? The bottom of the chart tells me otherwise.
Old 2008-04-04, 00:34   Link #1423
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel E. View Post
You sure? The bottom of the chart tells me otherwise.
The chart details user titles - hover your mouse over your rep blocks and you'll see the title. The blocks themselves go at intervals of 100. The titles seem to be at intervals of 50, then 100, then more. Search for "evolving reputation" on that post to see the area about blocks specifically.

Edit: BAM, I beat NSW to the response! That is, he hasn't responded yet but I see him viewing this thread, I'm sure it's coming...
Old 2008-04-04, 00:38   Link #1424
Daniel E.
AniMexican!

Quote:
The blocks themselves go at intervals of 100. The titles seem to be at intervals of 50, then 100, then more. Search for "evolving reputation" on that post to see the area about blocks specifically.
Oh yes, I got them mixed up as the same thing at one point or another.
Old 2008-04-04, 00:47   Link #1425
NoSanninWa
Weapon of Mass Discussion
*Fansubber

Quote:
The chart details user titles - hover your mouse over your rep blocks and you'll see the title. The blocks themselves go at intervals of 100. The titles seem to be at intervals of 50, then 100, then more. Search for "evolving reputation" on that post to see the area about blocks specifically.

Edit: BAM, I beat NSW to the response! That is, he hasn't responded yet but I see him viewing this thread, I'm sure it's coming...
I'll just say that the 100 points per block eventually stops being true. There are a few of us who have learned there is a point of diminishing returns. And that is all I'll say.

There's not that fine a line between willing suspension of disbelief and something just being stupid.
NoSanninWa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 06:14   Link #1426
Whitemoon648
Sawa-Chan <3 <3 <3

This is the biggest sequence of Mod-post deletes i have seen . Didnt mean to turn it into a chat. My sincere apologize.

Now back to topic (_(,

Is anime very popular in japan? In many anime shows that i have watched, there are many refrences as how manga are popular, but not that many about anime.

Also there is there a certain age range that people watch anime in japan more often?
Old 2008-04-04, 07:25   Link #1427
Sephi
Thinking outside the box
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitemoon648 View Post
This is the biggest sequence of Mod-post deletes i have seen . Didnt mean to turn it into a chat. My sincere apologize.

Now back to topic (_(,

Is anime very popular in japan? In many anime shows that i have watched, there are many refrences as how manga are popular, but not that many about anime.

Also there is there a certain age range that people watch anime in japan more often?
Japanese People on Anime "Otaku" should be interesting to read for you, and it should answer your question to

Currently watching: Aria the Origination & Dennou Coil
Sephi: Anime Icons | Signatures & Avatars | Renders
Sephi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 08:06   Link #1428
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I'd also recommend browsing the Anime Ratings in Japan thread in this forum. You'll see that most "otaku" series are shown late at night and attract about 2% of the households. A ratings "smash" like Hakaba Kitaro reaches about 5%. The DVD Sales thread provides some additional clues. Most anime DVDs sell in the few thousands, but really popular shows can reach figures like 40,000 per disc.

I'll leave it to you to decide whether these figures indicate anime shows are "very popular" in Japan or not. I'll just note that live-action shows get much higher ratings than these.

I think a more interesting question, and one for which typical ratings data are unhelpful, is what is the "reach" of anime in Japan? "Reach" measures the percent of the audience that are exposed to a program over a period of time like a week or month. So we might want to ask, what percent of Japanese households watch at least one anime show per week. If we throw in childrens' and family shows I'd bet it's a healthy fraction of the entire audience.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 11:20   Link #1429
Aoie_Emesai
♪♫ Maya Iincho ♩♬
*Artist

Send a message via Yahoo to Aoie_Emesai
Anime are just like bandwagon television shows in America, they come and go and people follow the it till it's popularity goes down. (which is usually a couple months after it's end)

How to Give / Receive Criticism on your work / Like to draw? Come join Artists Alike
Visit my Deviantart Or Blog ~A Child should always surpass his/her parent, Remember.
Aoie_Emesai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-04, 14:46   Link #1430
tripperazn
Toyosaki Aki
*Scanlator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
I'll leave it to you to decide whether these figures indicate anime shows are "very popular" in Japan or not. I'll just note that live-action shows get much higher ratings than these.
Dramas/Dorama get ratings between 10-20%, depending on how good they are. Finales for them can reach something like 95% (GTO live action). That's mainstream entertainment. Noitamina block seems to be different though (Hakaba Gitaro, Nodame Cantabile, etc), it's less otaku and more accepted.
Old 2008-04-10, 19:32   Link #1431
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
Question for people. Did Henryk Broder convert to another religion ?

I have heard news of the known German writer to have converted to a religion he criticized, still can't find any English sources on it, and I can't read German so anyone know if this is true?
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-11, 05:26   Link #1432
Slice of Life
eyewitness

He's not a Muslim, he's still a Jew, he's one of the most vocal German opponents of Islam and I'd rather expect the Chicago School to demand the nationalization of key industries before that happens. What weird kind of rumor is that and why are you asking this in an anime forum of all places?
Old 2008-04-11, 19:49   Link #1433
Ero-Sannin

Send a message via MSN to Ero-Sannin
posting in many forums waiting for an official source or something
Ero-Sannin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-12, 12:58   Link #1434
Slice of Life
eyewitness

It is hard to find an official source saying that something did not happen. You simply have to take the word of somebody who knows his position that this is out of the question.
Old 2008-04-13, 12:50   Link #1435
Dee Eon

A Image-Picture I.D. Page

Hi!

The great "Please Translate This For Me" topic here inspires me to ask, is there a page which images of unknown (to the user) anime and mange characters can be posted and hopefully identified?

Thanks All!

Dee

Also authoress of "Miyuki's Spaced-Out Secret"
Dee Eon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 13:05   Link #1436
xris
Just call me Ojisan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee Eon View Post
The great "Please Translate This For Me" topic here inspires me to ask, is there a page which images of unknown (to the user) anime and mange characters can be posted and hopefully identified?
Do you mean something like this...

Anime/Manga/Game Identification Help
xris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 19:27   Link #1437
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author

Is there somewhere on this site where you can find out if your on other peoples buddy lists?
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 21:21   Link #1438
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Nope, you can only see your own buddies (designated as having a '+' after their name on the "Active Users" list of the main site page). It'd be a nice feature, though.
Old 2008-04-13, 21:50   Link #1439
Zaku Hyuga
Domo Ori Gato Mr. Roboto
*Author

How do you post pictures in email so that they show up on the email and not as a link? Is there an image code or something like we have on this site?
Zaku Hyuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2008-04-13, 23:32   Link #1440
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Email? I'm afraid that'll depend on your email client. Some email clients let you include HTML with their messages - usually these will have all sorts of fancy options for controlling the font, color, and inserting images. That'd be what you want. I'd imagine that there are some that will let you enter HTML code on your own and they'll interpret it for you, but I don't think that many are like that.

On the other hand, there are mail clients like Opera's M2 client which do not allow HTML at all. It's all plain-text, and if you include a picture it has to be in the form of an attachment and it'll display at the very end of the message.

Either way, email and web forums are very different. Unless you can edit the HTML directly on the message, you're going to need to include the image as an attachment rather than a link. It's for the better that way - it cuts down on security vulnerabilities.

Tags
problem, q&a, serious