AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired M-Z > Maria-sama

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2007-06-03, 21:50   Link #41
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Finally was able to watch the forth OVA >_<

First the rants. I know I shouldn't complain; having the series continue is enough a blessing, but still. The animation quality lagged noticably. I know Marimite is not much for fluid animation, but this is an OVA, especially this is a "sport festival episode"! I'm probably spoiled, and some are worse (Yoakena), but still... too many still shots and recycled animation.

Now for the good parts. I liked how Yumi acts more as Sachiko's guardian, but I really enjoyed how she interacted with Kanako (in the green house), and with Touko (behind the school building, during the folk dance). I would have liked Kanako to have a sharper bite, but how Yumi acts so innocently, yet still gets her point across is so nice. It's also nice to see Yumi acting more senior - saying "瞳子のやつ。。。(That Touko...)" with a worried look on her face after their chat.

Lastly, Yumi's parents, they are sooo Yumi's parents. Dad's "えぇ?!!そ、そか。。(Eh?!! I, I see...)" is exactly like Yumi
Old 2007-06-04, 09:02   Link #42
mdauben

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahl_moon View Post
I liked how Yumi acts more as Sachiko's guardian, but I really enjoyed how she interacted with Kanako (in the green house), and with Touko (behind the school building, during the folk dance).
Yes, you can definetly see Yumi maturing and gaining confidence, not only in her relationship with Sachiko, but in her dealings with others.

Quote:
Lastly, Yumi's parents, they are sooo Yumi's parents.
I was kind of floored when I saw them. After two TV seasons and three OVAs, this is the first time we have even seen either of them, let along in a speaking part, isn't it?

I do agree that they are both just like one would expect. Both their reactions when they were introduced to Sachiko were very "Yumi-like", and her mother looks just like an older version of Yumi, herself.

Sachko's father was even more of supprise, though. He was nothing like I expected, and seemed much too nice and almost... care-free ("I pretended to go to the bathroom, and then snuck out"). The fact that he would actually bother to sneak out of a wedding celebration just to see his daugher at the sports festival seems at odds with the way he has been painted in the past. Kind of makes you wonder why Sachiko is so down on men, when her father is actually a pretty nice guy. Of course it could just be a front, but why whould he bother...?
Old 2007-06-04, 17:54   Link #43
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
@Mdauben

In the scene when Yumi get home after losing her umbrella. You see the whole family and Yumi mom is the only one who is speak asking her what happen to her umbrella. Yumi goes into the whole why people take other people things rant/cry.

It not that Sachiko is mean but rather he has mistress which question why be married to a man if he can't be faith to one woman. The time his spend with his mistress take way time she would like to have a family holiday or vacation. Sachiko feel that her family is not fully complete like when she was a kid. This just my opinion.
Old 2007-06-05, 09:37   Link #44
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Congratulations, Touko, you proved that you're a good tsundere. Showing some semi-dere~ from time to time..Yumi-sama exclusive
It's so funny to watch Yumi not getting that Touko is jealous~
Old 2007-06-05, 15:40   Link #45
revive4563

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwasatou View Post
Congratulations, Touko, you proved that you're a good tsundere.
yes, she's correct and proper tsundere.
I prefer Touko's complicated reaction when they are dancing and Yumi ask her.

Spoiler for scene:
Old 2007-06-06, 12:24   Link #46
niwasatou
mind the gap
*Artist

Send a message via MSN to niwasatou
Quote:
Originally Posted by revive4563 View Post
yes, she's correct and proper tsundere.
I prefer Touko's complicated reaction when they are dancing and Yumi ask her.

Spoiler for scene:
Exactly what I meant.
Old 2007-06-13, 11:58   Link #47
soccer_bre
rawr

Send a message via AIM to soccer_bre Send a message via MSN to soccer_bre
awww i saw like the first 15 minutes. it was awesome!!!!!! haha. anyone want to let me know when the subbed version comes out?
Old 2007-06-13, 12:32   Link #48
Allaire

Send a message via ICQ to Allaire
Quote:
when the subbed version comes out?
But we already some subtitles from the Anonymous, right?

Also, about 4th ova...
Well... Its still downloading... really sad
Now wait for this OVA impatiently.
Old 2007-06-13, 16:22   Link #49
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdauben View Post
Sachko's father was even more of supprise, though. He was nothing like I expected, and seemed much too nice and almost... care-free ("I pretended to go to the bathroom, and then snuck out"). The fact that he would actually bother to sneak out of a wedding celebration just to see his daugher at the sports festival seems at odds with the way he has been painted in the past. Kind of makes you wonder why Sachiko is so down on men, when her father is actually a pretty nice guy. Of course it could just be a front, but why whould he bother...?
I think he's the same as Kashiwagi. Not actually bad, but insensitive and self-centered. It's not that he doesn't care about others. It just never occurred to him his wife and daughter would be hurt by his actions.
Old 2007-06-17, 09:13   Link #50
dxanato

Send a message via ICQ to dxanato Send a message via AIM to dxanato Send a message via Yahoo to dxanato
Yamayuri has release their Sub for the 4th OVA of Marimite.
Old 2007-06-17, 11:37   Link #51
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I'm disappointed they cut the three way fight between Kanako, Touko, and Noriko. And Shimako saying Yoshino was scary, after the ball throwing.

But I loved seeing her reaction to her father being there. And Carnival Rei wasn't so bad, in a manly but maybe gay latino way. I was half expecting a canary costume.
Old 2007-06-17, 13:45   Link #52
big_fan1704

Oh, would you please tell me where I can download the English Sub version of the 4th OVA of marimite. Has it been released yet?
Old 2007-06-17, 17:23   Link #53
pyu
Crouchety Old Man

Send a message via MSN to pyu
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anh_Minh View Post
I think he's the same as Kashiwagi. Not actually bad, but insensitive and self-centered. It's not that he doesn't care about others. It just never occurred to him his wife and daughter would be hurt by his actions.
I'm reaching a bit but let's just say his values might be slightly different from what other people might hold. There was a time when it was perfectly acceptable for rich / powerful men to have mistresses as long as they "maintained appearances". Sachiko's father might have the same thinking. We don't really know the entire situation as what we have is from Sachiko's viewpoint - which is still very valid.

Of course, its still a very screwed up situation...

Nevertheless, it seems that her father isn't the stereotypical tyrannical male that I envisoned him to be...
Old 2007-06-17, 21:16   Link #54
4Tran

Maria-sama ga Miteru is easily my favorite among current shows, and this OVA episode is no exception. It's just a fun show that also happens to have top-notch writing, direction, and character interaction. Moreover, I think that the extended episode length gives the story a good sense of cohesion, much like it does for Figure 17 (although not to such an extent), and I'd love to see another 13-episodes of Marimite done in such this format.
Old 2007-06-17, 21:31   Link #55
dahl_moon
Apathy moe~
*Scanlator

Watching the episode again from Yamayuri, I realized how much Shimako has also changed. Just a few months ago Shimako was keeping her distance from school, always ready to leave when her family background is exposed. But now, we see her volunteering willingly. She also seems much more relaxed (remember how in season 1 episode 1 she used to be 'inapproachable'?)
Old 2007-06-18, 01:16   Link #56
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

It's true a weight's been lifted off her shoulders.

But I think she could have volunteered anyway. She's always been "my pace", as they say, with a large streak of stubbornness (or she wouldn't have come to a catholic school in the first place). If she thought that the borrowing race was fun and she wanted to participate, she wouldn't have hesitated to say so.
Old 2007-06-18, 06:39   Link #57
Sorrow-K
Somehow I found out

Highly enjoyable ep.

Lot's of the same sort of things we're used to from Marimite, like subtle analyses of the characters from Yumi's point of view, slow relationship development and humourous asides. I thought Yoshino showed some real leadership in this episode. She's always been a strong character, but this is the first time I think we've seen her express it externally. And, the more I see of Touka and her interactions with Yumi in these OVAs, the more I think she should be her petite soeur. As others have mentioned, she's the token tsundere for Marimite (although, there aren't really any token characters in this show), but it's always interesting, IMO, to see such a character's aloof external barrier crack (that's why I enjoy watching tsunderes so much).

Only one OVA left, which I'm really ruing. I think it's fairly clear that this is going to end with a number of loose ends remaining, and only a faint chance of us ever seeing anymore animated Marimite afterwards. Unquestionably, I'll miss it. It really is one of the best multi-season franchises I've seen in the last few years.
Old 2007-06-18, 07:36   Link #58
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I don't know. I think I still like Kanako more than Youko, for Yumi's petite sœur spot. Even though I know she's not exactly a favorite in that race, I feel like Kanako needs Yumi more than Touko does.

Touko's more like Tsutako: independent, assertive, self-confident... She doesn't need a grande sœur. It would only cramp her style. She can like Yumi, she can be her friend, but can she really look up to her?

And speaking of Yoshino... I wonder what the dynamics of the yamayurikai will be when she becomes Rosa Foetida? Youko and Sachiko after her were the undisputed leaders in their times, but how will it be next year?

Shimako has seniority as a rosa, but if it comes down to a battle of wills, I think she'd forfeit without a fight unless she really, really cares about the issue.

Or does leadership always fall to the Rosa Chinensis?

To get back to the episode: It would be such a pity if Shimako really became a nun. She looks so good in a kimono.

Last edited by Anh_Minh; 2007-06-18 at 07:50.
Old 2007-06-18, 08:09   Link #59
dxanato

In theory the leadership is divide by all three it just so happen that the last 2 rosa Chinensis have been very strong will type character. Eriko while she was strong she get bored to easy. Sei just want to have fun. It all fall in Youko shoulder to lead. The following year Rei and Shimako just wouldn't be able to control Sachiko if she want something done. They would need Yumi to help keep Sachiko in control. Which what we see in the last couple of OVA Yumi interaction has help Sachiko do thing she wouldn't had done.

Yumi may not be like Youko or Sachiko her friendship with Yoshino and Shimako would give her an advantage to influence them I think. I think both Yoshino and Shimako would look for Yumi to leadership. This just me think out loud.

About Kanako the last scene in the final race Yumi comment and in the book has always make me wonder that Yumi final choice would be to make Kanako her Petite Souer. Like other said Touko really does not need Yumi. Touko is very strong mind and will. Kanako still yet to really open up to others. The scene toward the end when Yumi is talking to Kanako I had hope she had done the tickling more alone the line of Sei tickling some one.
Old 2007-06-18, 08:32   Link #60
BonBon
Rabu-rabu-zura?

Ahahahaaa, 'Allez les Filles'! It's 'Ready, GO!' not 'Lady, go!' That's so sweet...
Closed Thread