AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Lucky Star

Notices

View Poll Results: Lucky Star - Episode 22 Rating
Perfect 10 200 81.30%
9 out of 10 : Excellent 28 11.38%
8 out of 10 : Very Good 13 5.28%
7 out of 10 : Good 3 1.22%
6 out of 10 : Average 0 0%
5 out of 10 : Below Average 0 0%
4 out of 10 : Poor 1 0.41%
3 out of 10 : Bad 0 0%
2 out of 10 : Very Bad 0 0%
1 out of 10 : Painful 1 0.41%
Voters: 246. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 2007-09-20, 18:13   Link #221
AVPlaya
なんでやろう?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexx View Post
I find the most fascinating thing about japanese baseball is the audience participation
Yes I love it too... Many goes to the ball park just for the festival feeling. This stems from high school baseball games, where everyone in the stands are counted as the "Oendan" or cheer squad. They just carried it over to the pro games. I don't know THAT many hated it as darksider said, but I know some baseball-hating girls who just goes to the game just to scream. It's not easy to find a place where you can raise your voice without public shame.

Here's a nice little video of a treasured tradition for the Hanshin Tigers. During the 7th Inning stretch, the Tiger fans all sang the Hanshin Tigers Fight Song, Rokko Oroshi, and then release the Tigers Ballon to the air. If you ever wanted to visit Haruhi's home town of Nishinomiya City, you'd best visit Koshien Stadium and attend a Tigers game. Feel the passion of the Kansai folks!
Spoiler for Unhide to watch Video:
Old 2007-09-23, 11:58   Link #222
Calawain
Gaijin

Quote:
I find the most fascinating thing about japanese baseball is the audience participation
What type of audience participation? And do you mean just in High School? I just went to a Yankees vs Red Sox game a couple of weeks ago and there was plenty of uh, "audience participation" I guess you could call it. Many cheers, boos, and nasty words were yelled out as well as a couple of game ejections in our seating area.
Old 2007-09-23, 12:28   Link #223
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Quote:
I just went to a Yankees vs Red Sox game a couple of weeks ago and there was plenty of uh, "audience participation" I guess you could call it. Many cheers, boos, and nasty words were yelled out as well as a couple of game ejections in our seating area.
No, that's just monkey poo throwing no better than some soccer/rugby audiences and makes me embarrassed to even watch such infantile behavior.

The japanese fans are like an entire organized cheering squad. Its fascinating to watch and it happens in the professional leagues even more than in high school.
Old 2007-09-24, 08:09   Link #224
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

I should ask you a few more things about Japanese society in general, Vexx-sensei. I'm taking a Japanese Studies module right now, and the Hanshin Tiger fan clubs just happened to be the topic of one of my readings a few weeks ago.

I certainly think you can be of great assistance to my studies, Vexx-sensei.
Watashi wa Ascaloth desu! Dozo yoroshiku onegaishimasu!
Old 2007-09-25, 01:59   Link #225
Pell14

EP22 is probably the best ep in lucky star to me. the most boring ep is probably ep1, whats up with the chanting on the food lol? the ending song of ep22 is also rofl, i kind of pity the guy LOL
Old 2007-09-25, 02:55   Link #226
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

@ascaloth: actually, kj1980 is better at gritty details of pop culture and daily life, AVPlaya seems to have "normal mundane" life nailed.
And I've always been more interested in 'cultural daily life' anyway (no matter what country we're discussing).

And... Risaa is going to be living there now at her new university so you can get the scuttle from an "on site" gaijin genki-na onnanoko.

But feel free to ask away and discover the gaps in my understanding

@Pell14: check the comments in the episode 1 thread... in summary, the food gag is a long-running mild punchline (like a George Burns five minute gag).
1) Note how obsessive Konata comes back to the original question.
2) Note Tsukasa like mayo on *everything* ... this is like a Japanese local psychosis, they love mayo (on natto?? o... my... gods... )
3) Wordplay humor lost in a.f.k. translation (the chicken-egg-family remarks)
4) We discover Konata can cook (negi-tan shio)
5) We discover Miyuki is Walking Wikipedia.
6) Unseen sister Kagami is assertive
7) and on and on ....

In other words, small talk reveals much to the observant person.
Old 2007-09-26, 03:02   Link #227
Ascaloth
I don't give a damn, dude

Quote:
And... Risaa is going to be living there now at her new university so you can get the scuttle from an "on site" gaijin genki-na onnanoko.
...you're making me imagine her doing the Patricia Martin genki-na gaijin-otaku voice there.
Old 2007-09-26, 16:27   Link #228
Risaa
Evil Little Pixie

Send a message via AIM to Risaa
Quote:
What would you like to know? How *AWESOME* the cell phones are? How cheap every meal has been so far? How... damned humid it is here? XD I answer from a new gaijin perspective, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascaloth View Post
...you're making me imagine her doing the Patricia Martin genki-na gaijin-otaku voice there.
....I've been getting mixed responses when I speak. There's a lot of, "heeee..." in astonishment type of reactions. Only one person has taken action against me, and she immediately ran off to get me natto. (No worries though, I impressed her by passing the natto tesuto! Maybe she was disappointed that I didn't make a funny face...)

Whoops, totally off-topic post eh?
Old 2007-09-26, 16:36   Link #229
Anh_Minh
I disagree with you all.

I thought the cost of living in Japan was high? Is that a legend?
Old 2007-09-27, 00:36   Link #230
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

The cost of living in Japan depends on how you choose to live. You can get by quite nicely by with some adjustment to expectations. Plenty of good cheap restaurants, housing is no worse than an apartment in any big city (just smaller). For visitors, traditional inns will set you back no worse than a Super 8 in the states and they're much prettier.

Now if you do the Tokyo high life at the five star hotel and demand beef with every meal and your own bath suite.... yeah, it costs a fortune.
Old 2007-09-27, 23:47   Link #231
Nuke Mayhem
Shopping Hero 4ever

Send a message via AIM to Nuke Mayhem Send a message via Yahoo to Nuke Mayhem
Thumbs up

*cries loud and uncontrollably over the mother scene* That was so sweeeet! ';_;' and well done! It didn't drag itself down with overdone crying scenes and drama, and they're still able to make it as funny as it is sweet.

Spoiler:
Old 2007-10-03, 19:36   Link #232
CrowKenobi
One PUNCH!
*Administrator

a.f.k. sub of 22 is out!!

Old 2007-10-03, 20:27   Link #233
Jecht2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrowKenobi View Post
a.f.k. sub of 22 is out!!

Woo Hoo... now alls i have to do is wait 8 hrs to download it... damn Internet cap being blown.
Old 2007-10-04, 16:29   Link #234
Ayu-ayu
a.k.a. Akari_House

I've been avoiding these threads until seeing the AFK versions so as to avoid spoilers and I'm glad I did this time. Not only because the second act was so great and unexpected, but I was so surprised by Shimamoto Sumi's guest appearance. When Kanata first appeared, I thought to myself that she sounded a lot like Sumire-chan from Koko wa Greenwood, whom Shimamoto-san also guest-appeared as (fitting given the Cagliostro parody in the show not to mention a description of Hasukawa-kun at one point in the manga as resembling "Teto"), but just figured it was my imagination. I missed the voice credits afterwards due to Minoru-run-run's singing game shenanigans, but during the episode preview for 23, when she made the "wind turbulence" reference from Nausicaa, I fell out of my chair and went back and checked the credits then.

Oh KyoAni, you devils...
(so looking forward to Clannad)
Old 2007-10-06, 04:16   Link #235
khryoleoz
Power of 9 SoShi-ist

Man, I'm at a loss in what to say about the Kanata segment. Let's see...it was just beautifully touching. Great job, KyoAni for this adaptation!
Old 2007-10-07, 00:09   Link #236
takumi2k4

Wow, rewatching this episode with AFK's subs reminds of how L*S, or this episode specifically made me decide to call L*S the best anime of the year.

While I didn't cry manly tears like before, I did choke up though on my hamburger that I was eating.

My thoughts are still the same from when I posted it back then, but I have to say again, it still is amazing how a blatant over the top comedy can go drama on you for at least 10 minutes and completely own every aspect of it.

I miss L*S, I demand a second season shortly after Haruhi 2 is out!
Old 2007-10-07, 01:23   Link #237
FoxHound9
らき☆すた fanatic

10/10
The Kanata scene almost left me in tears :')
Old 2007-10-09, 04:53   Link #238
Albin

Send a message via MSN to Albin
Awesome ep! Teary eyes mixed with great jokes loved it! best episode in a while
Old 2007-10-11, 08:11   Link #239
MaxwellDemon
"Bi?!" BI?!
*Graphic Designer

I just watched this episode recently, and have had it rewinding for days. XD
And it still moves me like crazy.

I do hope the upcoming BGM would feature the music played in the Kanata scene!
Old 2007-12-21, 05:56   Link #240
The Chaos
ǾΝΈ ΡЇΈÇΈ is the Best !!

This The Best Ep of Lucky Star....
Less Comedy More Drama...
I Loved This Ep a lot ....