AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Manga

Notices

Old 2012-02-18, 20:03   Link #61
DragoZERO
Spoilaphobic

You should send them an e-mail about it.
Old 2012-02-25, 22:47   Link #62
Same_Shark

Quote:
Originally Posted by DragoZERO View Post
You should send them an e-mail about it.
Generally, I would, but it's not bad enough for me to really dwell on it that much.
Same_Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-02-29, 11:10   Link #63
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Just read chapter 21 and 22 recently, and you don't know how far i will go to marry those two twins. I means it's bad to mix up reality and fiction, but it must have been 5-10 years since the last time when i am really envious of characters of a story (and wished i am part of it).

All other side characters are hilarious through, with the two families, the grandmother, and the mom. And that scheming girl (i really loled when the two sitting next said "you gave me the chills" ). I guess i should be happy for the twins to find their loved one at last. Hope they will not live so apart through, sisters are best to be with each other. Twins are more so

Edit: Still it kinda sucks seeing all these girls being married off. I'm really envious with those guys. I really do D:
Old 2012-02-29, 16:14   Link #64
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

As long as you don't go and do something creepy and start burning your copies of the book because they're getting hitched in series I suppose it's not THAT creepy

Also, take a close look at the familiy meeting where the men negotiate price sand the women are fraternizing. The mother for the boys is the devious scary smiling girl. I think we can figure out now why the father has such a worn down expression, that woman is probably a pain

I'm really getting a vibe with Otoyome-Gatari, that Ms Mori is reacting to not being able to do enough stories with side characters in Emma. So even pretty early on the narrative is shifting away from our introduced main characters in order to focus on a different self contained cast, the only connection being "doctor" Smith*.

*Am I the only one that LOL'ed when Smith realized the perfect way to manipulate his guide into letting him hang around longer and do more doctor stuff?
Roger Rambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-03-01, 03:21   Link #65
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
As long as you don't go and do something creepy and start burning your copies of the book because they're getting hitched in series I suppose it's not THAT creepy

Also, take a close look at the familiy meeting where the men negotiate price sand the women are fraternizing. The mother for the boys is the devious scary smiling girl. I think we can figure out now why the father has such a worn down expression, that woman is probably a pain

I'm really getting a vibe with Otoyome-Gatari, that Ms Mori is reacting to not being able to do enough stories with side characters in Emma. So even pretty early on the narrative is shifting away from our introduced main characters in order to focus on a different self contained cast, the only connection being "doctor" Smith*.

*Am I the only one that LOL'ed when Smith realized the perfect way to manipulate his guide into letting him hang around longer and do more doctor stuff?
Don't worry, i'm not going down that road (yet)...

It's just making you questioning your life, you know? Unlike most other romance anime/manga, what happened in Otoyomegatari simply would never be achieved by us. Us netizen won't be able to live in that society. And there's not that many places on earth where globalisation hasn't crept in and destroy up their traditional value and way-of-life. I think it was 10 years ago,back when i was addicted to fantasy romance (magical world with heroes fighting evil monsters and rescue heroines, sort of), that i got this feeling

Anyway, let's get back to the manga....

The boy's moms and that schemer are two different people through. In ch 21, you can notice the pattern of their headband. And that manipulating girl is much younger, it seems. And i don't think Smith is that clever. It seems he only want to stay up to watch the traditional wedding
Old 2012-03-01, 07:42   Link #66
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Don't worry, i'm not going down that road (yet)...

It's just making you questioning your life, you know? Unlike most other romance anime/manga, what happened in Otoyomegatari simply would never be achieved by us. Us netizen won't be able to live in that society. And there's not that many places on earth where globalisation hasn't crept in and destroy up their traditional value and way-of-life. I think it was 10 years ago,back when i was addicted to fantasy romance (magical world with heroes fighting evil monsters and rescue heroines, sort of), that i got this feeling
Well to be fair, not even non netizens can live in that society. If you pay attention, even the early-mid 19th century Smith wasn't really able be part of this society. The most he's able to hope for is being a guest at best...and you saw how his romance ended up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by risingstar3110 View Post
Anyway, let's get back to the manga....

The boy's moms and that schemer are two different people through. In ch 21, you can notice the pattern of their headband. And that manipulating girl is much younger, it seems. And i don't think Smith is that clever. It seems he only want to stay up to watch the traditional wedding
Really? Huh.

Though I think you're misreading the situation, it's pretty clear what's going on.

Ali: I HATE FISH! WE'LL LEAVE!

Patients waiting in line: OH NO Mister smith! you cannot leave!
Smith:I am suffering existential angst over having to abandon these people who want my help...oh hey, the twins are getting married! REVELATION!

Smith: Let's stay, the twins are getting married.
Ali:...marriage? Banquet? Free food? MEAT AND RICE (not fish)! IMMA STAPLING MY ASS TO THE GROUND!
Smith: *Very pleased expression* I'm very grateful (that I can continue to play doctor until the ceremony)!
Old 2012-03-01, 11:10   Link #67
risingstar3110
✘˵╹◡╹˶✘

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Rambo View Post
Well to be fair, not even non netizens can live in that society. If you pay attention, even the early-mid 19th century Smith wasn't really able be part of this society. The most he's able to hope for is being a guest at best...and you saw how his romance ended up.
He came real close through.

I was kinda rooting on him for the twins too, but knowing that this is not that kind of manga. He have no dowry. He will be out of his story-teller role. The age gap is probably quite large (by us readers standard). And he could not take both of them, especially after just missing out a widow in last arc (if so the story will head to harem direction)

On the manipulating girl, she have the circle head-cover pattern. While the mom of the boys appear in the page right after having rectangle head-cover pattern.
And i love how the twins going "That not gonna helps us, who wanna wait for the storm" after hearing her mom's story

Still can't believe that Smith can manipulate anyone through.

PS: on the female characters, i guess my favorite still Tieke, then Amira, then the twins. Amira is great wife material, and the twins are hilarious with their scheming (and seeing how close they are). But the winner is still Tieke, i simply just have soft spot for that hawk-loving little girl
Old 2012-03-01, 11:14   Link #68
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Believe it or not, that's what just happened
Old 2012-04-25, 03:03   Link #69
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Words can't express how great chapter 23 was. So simple, yet so beautiful. Amira and Karluk are such a charming couple, and with a less talented writer the whole thing could have been so awkward.

NoitaminA in 2013. It should happen.
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-25, 16:11   Link #70
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Oh, I missed out on Chapter 22, lets see...

The Twins mother is perhaps more terrifying than her father

Really touching scene at the end there though.
Old 2012-05-16, 12:17   Link #71
Bonta Kun
Know who you are

Got my Vol. 3 now, wasn't actually expecting to pick up a copy when I was out but I saw it and just had to get it

Some pretty great story stuff going on, gotta love how it's not a so overly dramatic story yet manages to not be dull either.

It's pity how things ended with Smith and Talas, depsite me being interested in Mr Smith's adventures, I didn't quite expect to see him get involved with a woman so quickly(I at least expected it further down the line) and a real looker at that.
Also when he throws the watch away, man didn't expect that either but it certainly did get to me, real shame on that.
Old 2012-09-05, 09:33   Link #72
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Spoiler for 25: Young Grooms' Tale:
Old 2012-09-05, 11:08   Link #73
Xagzan

I was finally able to volume 1 and it was an instant buy for me. Now I just have to keep searching for 2 and 3. I could order them online of course, but it'd be nice to find them in a bookstore.

And I love the little afterword with the omake and family tree, which is actually pretty helpful. Shame it's only 5 chapters.
Xagzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-05, 12:10   Link #74
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Spoiler for 25: Young Grooms' Tale:
It could be due to their personalities being similar that they managed to get along so well from the get go. It could also be due to how they are each so reserved (Karluk moreso) that they kept on their politeness and tried to be friendly to each other.

Mind you, when they first got married, Amir treated her husband like her younger brother (or her child ...), not like a husband (even Karluk was a little aware of this, see when she got him naked so they'd sleep together ...). When he had gotten sick, it had gotten worse with her being afraid that he might twist a toe from going outside. It wasn't until after the skirmish did she start to see him more like a man (yes, he's 12 and not actually a man, but in this context, he did prove himself) and start to really fall in love with him.

The twins and the brothers on the other hand ... well, aside from their personalities being different from each other, they all seem to lack the same discipline that both Karluk and Amir have in their relationship, not to mention that unlike Karluk who is wiser than his years, all of the four here are childish (well, them and their parents lol).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xagzan View Post
I was finally able to volume 1 and it was an instant buy for me. Now I just have to keep searching for 2 and 3. I could order them online of course, but it'd be nice to find them in a bookstore.

And I love the little afterword with the omake and family tree, which is actually pretty helpful. Shame it's only 5 chapters.
The omake are so fun to read. Just like in Emma, they show just how much passion Mori-san puts in her work and how much she really loves these historic settings (the bit about Karluk was a little mean tho haha). I'm looking forward to when vol 4 comes along.

The family tree was really surprisingly helpful. I actually missed the hint about Karluk's Grandmother being of the same clan as Amir before (though in hindsight, ''I got that bow as part of my dowry'' was pretty telling) so seeing it at first got me confused.
Old 2012-09-05, 15:50   Link #75
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

NoitaminA 2013, Baby...
Old 2012-09-05, 16:18   Link #76
Iron Maw
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
NoitaminA 2013, Baby...
What, there's been announcement?! Or this just your wishful thinking?
Iron Maw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-09-06, 01:37   Link #77
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Maw View Post
What, there's been announcement?! Or this just your wishful thinking?
The latter, I'm afraid. But I'll never stop hoping.
Old 2012-09-06, 09:09   Link #78
Arabesque
Licensed Hunter-a-holic

Maybe if we say it enough times?

NoitaminA 2013 lineup: Otoyomegatari/Silver Spoon

Yeah, let's keep on wishing ...

Some speculation about the next chapter, what do you think will happen after the ceremony?
Old 2012-09-06, 11:44   Link #79
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

I hope we get back to Amira and Karluk, but I'd guess Mr. Smith leaves the village, and we follow him on his journey for a while.
Old 2013-01-15, 21:08   Link #80
kuroishinigami
Ava courtesy of patchy

So gin no saji/silver spoon already green-litted for Noitamina 2013. Ooyomegatari is next? :P back to the topic of the manga

Spoiler for Raw ch 27:
kuroishinigami is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drama, historical, romance, seinen