AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2009-12-14, 20:00   Link #1
Opiy

Blu-Ray Anime, any good ones?

I was wondering if there are any good quality blu-ray anime movies or series. I am looking for atleast some decently good sound quality and picture. I am still fairly new to japanese anime so there are many titles I have yet to see. Again I am looking for a high def picture and sound.

Only one I have so far is Afro Samuri Season One but I haven't got to watch it yet.

Some I have seen and liked.

Bleach
Eureka Seven
Afro Samuri
Blood Plus
Full Metal Alchemist
Gantz
Appleseed 1 and 2 (I know its really not japanese style)
Hellsing

Some recommendations I have so far:

Paprika
Tekkonkinkreet
Ghost in the Shell 2.0
The Sky Crawlers
Akira
Sword of the Stranger

Sword of the Stranger looks like I will like because I like some good sword fighting action. Guess one of the reasons I like Bleach so much. Afro Samurai has some good fighting in it but its also hella gory which I like.

I may end up having to do one more thread later on to ask about any anime based on certain series/movies I like but right now I am trying to build up my blu-ray collection.

Feel free to suggest anything though, blu-ray or not.

Thanks
Larry
Old 2009-12-14, 21:55   Link #2
Qwey

i think ghost in the shell: sac gig 1 and 2 are out on bluray. Casshern Sins too.
Old 2009-12-14, 23:12   Link #3
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

You should browse the threads about Blu-ray releases on some other sites like Anime News Network; you'll probably find more information. Here's one thread that might be informative: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/...c.php?t=125006

Here are a few cautions to keep in mind. Most animated television programs are shot in 720p, not 1080p, so any 1080p versions of televised anime are likely to be upscales. (Upscales enlarge the image by creating additional pixels that represent an average of the pixels surrounding them. This technique adds no real increase in resolution, of course.) There's even less reason to watch older shows in Blu-ray; they were shot in the 4:3 aspect ratio at 480p.

Movies are a different story because they can be transferred from film which has a much greater native resolution than 1920x1080. You'll notice that most of the Blu-ray anime releases so far have been theatrical movies, not television series.

I'd be surprised if a 1080p version of any recent show displays substantially better quality than what you see in 720p modern fansubs. At one time there was a 1080p version of Ghost Hound floating around; it seemed little better than the 720p version and might have actually been an upscale. There are some Blu-ray rips on the main AS page. You might want to give a couple of them a try and compare them with the equivalent 720p fansubs.

DVDs often come with "anamorphic widescreen" resolution, a trick that stores widescreen information in the 720x480p standard DVD format. DVDs in this format fill a 16:9 widescreen display without distortion. (I think they look pretty good, too. I'd be hard pressed to choose between them and a 720p fansub of the same material.)
Old 2009-12-14, 23:39   Link #4
Azuma Denton
~AD~

For movie:
Evangelion 1.11
Final Fantasy Advent Children Complete (well this isnt literally anime, but still this item is a good BD Quality)

For series:
Bakemonogatari
Eden of the East
Old 2009-12-15, 00:15   Link #5
Kotohono
Yuri µ'serator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azuma Denton View Post
For series:
Bakemonogatari
I was gonna say that, but isn't the DVD/Blu-ray not going to be finished coming out until may of next year .
MAL
Old 2009-12-15, 22:26   Link #6
deathreape98
Clannad Preacher

Mai-Otome was released on Blu-Ray, I believe.
Old 2009-12-15, 22:29   Link #7
Tamiko
"Envy Is Ignorance."

Claymore will be release on blue-ray for america very soon. You should check it out since it has lots of sword fighting epicness.
Old 2009-12-16, 03:35   Link #8
GHDpro
Administrator
*Administrator

Another good forum for discussion about anime on Blu-ray is the former AnimeOnDVD forum:
http://www.mania.com/aodvb/forumdisplay.php?f=43

Mind though, unless you are a millionaire who doesn't have a problem paying a few hundred dollars per series, you should definitely stick to the way more cheaper US releases (certainly as only few Japanese BD releases will have English subtitles). However, the selection of US anime TV series so far is limited:

- Afro Samurai (all)
- Basilisk
- Burst Angel
- Claymore
- D.Gray-man
- Full Metal Panic: The Second Raid (first two seasons announced for 2010)
- Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood (rumored for April 2010 release)
- Gunslinger (both seasons)
- Heroic Age
- Kurokami (dubbed only!!!)
- Nabari no Ou
- Ouran High School Host Club
- Samurai 7
- Samurai Champloo
- Shigurui
- Trinity Blood
- Tsubasa: Reservoir Chroncile (only season 1 announced so far)
- Witchblade

Note that some of these are upscales from SD sources done by Funimation themselves. But at least the bitrate should be better than the DVD release.

Movies include:

- Akira
- Escaflowne movie
- Evangelion 1.11 (due March 2010)
- Ghost in the Shell 2.0 (new edition of original movie)
- Ghost in the Shell: Innocence
- One Piece Movie 8
- All Dragon Ball Z Movies
- Origin
- Vexille
- FF7: Advant Children
and more...

By contrast, there is a much wider selection of anime on BD in Japan, but like I said - you better have a big pockets and know Japanese.
Closed Thread