AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > General Anime

Notices

Old 2013-01-23, 00:50   Link #41
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kudryavka View Post
They color the females darker?
What I mean is that they color female legs with darker colors as if they were stockings and whenever something indecent happens, they censor these with still images, which was another problem, at least it looks somewhat better than just cutting them.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-01-23, 00:52   Link #42
Kudryavka

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisaoFan View Post
What I mean is that they color female legs with darker colors as if they were stockings and whenever something indecent happens, they censor these with still images, which was another problem, at least it looks somewhat better than just cutting them.
Oh, I see.
Kudryavka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 17:56   Link #43
Fuyuno
Banned

Boycott Animax!

I'm advocating everyone especially the OP to boycott Animax. Stupid channel that treated viewers even worse than kindergarten kids. I have several reasons why Animax sucks and always is.

1. Their rivalry with Hero TV in Philippines.

2. Too many shoujo shows. Come on teenage girls aren't the only anime fans out there.

3. Unable to show decent non-shoujo shows because they didn't "meet its standards".

4. Most of the non-shoujo shows are Jump's adaptations. Only K-On and Lucky Star are notable exceptions.

5. Misguided promo campaign. K is an action shounen? WTF!!

6. Dub job. 'nuff said.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 17:58   Link #44
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuyuno View Post
2. Too many shoujo shows. Come on teenage girls aren't the only anime fans out there.
If its decent anime for men.. I'll be there for you..
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 18:07   Link #45
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I think this is my main gripe with Animax Asia. Why are they trying to be too competitive with a cable channel that is available only in the Philippines?
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-06, 18:12   Link #46
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus H. View Post
I think this is my main gripe with Animax Asia. Why are they trying to be too competitive with a cable channel that is available only in the Philippines?
The funny thing is that not all anime fans in the Philippines have access to it since its cable. I don't have access to it too... LOLS
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 07:35   Link #47
MisaoFan
Autistic NEET bath lover

Quote:
I'm advocating everyone especially the OP to boycott Animax. Stupid channel that treated viewers even worse than kindergarten kids. I have several reasons why Animax sucks and always is.

3. Unable to show decent non-shoujo shows because they didn't "meet its standards".

4. Most of the non-shoujo shows are Jump's adaptations. Only K-On and Lucky Star are notable exceptions.

5. Misguided promo campaign. K is an action shounen? WTF!!

6. Dub job. 'nuff said.
I think I can point a little more. Aside from airing shounen manga adaptations, Animax also airs sci-fi anime originals and light novel adaptations, which were a thing of the past. They were still here today, although how many quantities they put on them is inferior to the shounen adaptations they are showing. The censorship is very present from what I heard, and as a result, Animax Asia felt bland overall from what you said. I wish they would put more variety, or they could create a spin-off channel catering to the obscure anime pushing the boundaries (I heard Kix and Thrill, which both belong from Celestial Tiger Entertainment, does that ), but I'm not sure it's going to be controversial.
Have your social attention be noticed in a genuinely positive light.
MyAnimeList
MisaoFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 10:48   Link #48
Shyni

Quote:

That probably depends more on the time of year than anything else. They did show Eureka Seven AO not too long ago. And Book of Bantorra is currently airing, fyi. Or by "Jump" do you mean Shueisha publications in general instead of just the shonen stuff...? Well, there's Fairy Tail and Vanguard, which are non-Jump shonen. Although FT kinda goes away and comes back again every few months, if I recall correctly.

I wonder if Jump/Shueisha have some sort of long-term deal with Animax, which would explain the overabundance of their shows.

Quote:

6. Dub job. 'nuff said.
Believe it or not, I've experienced worse. (worse than Animax in general, but maybe not quite as bad as Animax at their worst) Like, Malay dubs of tokusatsu. (The dub for Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero couldn't pronounce Darklops correctly, even though it's in the freaking title) Watching Japanese stuff in Southeast Asia can be a terrible experience. But at least in Malaysia, Animax started to make optional subtitles more common, and multiple audio is a thing for Astro channels. Don't know why they have to do their own dubbing for some shows that already had dubs, though.

Quote:
The censorship is very present from what I heard, and as a result, Animax Asia felt bland overall from what you said.
I remember they actually used the non-broadcast version for Gurren Lagann's hot springs episode, and they censored *that* even though there was already a censored version they could've used. Was really choppy, if I recall correctly.

Last edited by Shyni; 2013-02-07 at 11:49.
Shyni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 14:29   Link #49
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

As a neutral observer, boycotting won't work. In fact it only make matters worse. For instance if all 20-something males, which the OP belongs to, boycotting the channel and left it to fujioshis and shoujo fangirls alone. As good business people, Animax got to do what they should do: please those people. Finally Animax is full with shows for those people as results. I don't think this what OP wants to see in first place.

While not really what the OP wants but at least there is new seinen show about to be shown in Animax in this month, Shakugan no Shana Final. At least it is not another bishounen fanservice show like K
Kameruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-07, 19:10   Link #50
Shyni

Just looking at their schedule now, I don't see what the "too many shoujo" shows complaint was all about. Friday Primetime is Hayate the Combat Butler, followed by Lucky Star, Beelzebub, Bleach, then City Hunter. Saturday Primetime is a Bleach marathon, followed by music videos and an episode of Cardfight!! Vanguard. I'd say the main problem is there are just way too few shows.
Old 2013-02-08, 11:00   Link #51
Benigmatica
Deadpan Rambler

Send a message via Yahoo to Benigmatica
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
As a neutral observer, boycotting won't work. In fact it only make matters worse. For instance if all 20-something males, which the OP belongs to, boycotting the channel and left it to fujioshis and shoujo fangirls alone. As good business people, Animax got to do what they should do: please those people. Finally Animax is full with shows for those people as results. I don't think this what OP wants to see in first place.

While not really what the OP wants but at least there is new seinen show about to be shown in Animax in this month, Shakugan no Shana Final. At least it is not another bishounen fanservice show like K
Although Shana III Final will be aired at last, I think they should air the first season and the OVA series. Still, I agree on the censorship problems.
Benigmatica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-08, 17:48   Link #52
NK_500
Disabled By Request

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benigmatica View Post
Although Shana III Final will be aired at last, I think they should air the first season and the OVA series. Still, I agree on the censorship problems.
I think Animax already shown first two Shana series before. The first one was shown somewhere in 2007 and 2008 and the second one in 2010. I don't know about the OVAs though.

Back to topic I haven't post in this thread for a while because I already boycotted it. More accurately a short-term one. I'm not going to see Animax unless they going to show me a decent non-shoujo and non-Jump adaptation. Yes, Shakugan no Shana is a good choice but I'm not impressed with it. First of all it isn't hyped by Animax at all, as if it is a "side dish" or such. For example the hype of Chihayafuru is all over the place especially in popular magazines in my country, just like K before it but I don't see any hints of Shana. I think Animax forced themselves to show it. Second Animax could promote it as a "fast-paced shounen action show" while clearly isn't. It is closer to Bakemonogatari and Durara than any shounen shows you can think of especially Jump's adaptations. Shakugan no Shana may be a decent show for Animax for time being but it still not enough for me to lift the boycott.

Back on boycotting issue I just want Animax actually show me a decent non-shoujo shows in March or April. If they still fails, as expected then I'm not going to complain anymore.
NK_500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-09, 22:33   Link #53
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

If only Animax-Asia brought something as cool as Fate/Stay Night again like they did in 2007 but too bad those days already history.
Old 2013-02-09, 22:56   Link #54
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I just realized that they put Shakugan no Shana Final on such a late timeslot (23:30 GMT+8) that I'm quite disappointed myself. Fortunately, there are reruns the day after, but... yeah.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Old 2013-02-10, 02:46   Link #55
Shyni

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kameruka View Post
If only Animax-Asia brought something as cool as Fate/Stay Night again like they did in 2007 but too bad those days already history.
I dunno, I mean, FMA Brotherhood is pretty cool.

Quote:
I just realized that they put Shakugan no Shana Final on such a late timeslot (23:30 GMT+8) that I'm quite disappointed myself. Fortunately, there are reruns the day after, but... yeah.
They do reruns so much that it doesn't really matter when an episode premiers.
Old 2013-02-10, 03:44   Link #56
ahelo
Criminal Unrequitor
*Graphic Designer

While Animax really does offer a fairly bland list of shows, the main reason for it is probably because the target audience for Animax isn't particularly "anime fans" but the general public. This is why shoujo is almost always in (it's fairly accessible since it's target audience is fairly close to Asian Drama) and long-running series too. I mean you can say that K-ON! and Lucky Star are Seinen all you want but I highly doubt that its target audience is still that once it gets watched worldwide. It's a safe show that can actually be a family oriented one (like most KyoAni shows).

While Animax's list still remains to be fairly bland and limited, I'm quite surprised and happy to hear that Animax acquired Chihayafuru.
Old 2013-02-10, 18:26   Link #57
Fuyuno
Banned

Quote:
Although it is obvious that Animax-Asia is a Singapore-based channel but Philippines is their biggest market. In fact Animax stopped their service in India and Thailand that they can cater Filipino viewers better. Remember when Animax show us Yuu Yuu Hakusho over and over and over again? Do you know why Animax wants to show Hunter x Hunter reboot so bad despite it didn't come with "same week as Japan" gimmick? All of these can be explained that Togashi's fandom is huge over there. Now the Filipino viewers have their own anime channel which is far better than Animax. In fact most anime shown in Animax are those that Hero TV refuse to show and today's Animax is nothing more than Hero TV's trash can, all what Hero TV didn't want ends up there. Do you know why Hero TV didn't want to show K? They knew K is a crap and it is. After that Animax is showing us even more shoujo craps which also Hero TV didn't want like Skip Beat and Neo Angelique Abyss.

@ahelo: You are right for current time but I still remember of how Animax promotes itself as "ultimate anime channel for anime fans" in the past. Now it have been degenerates into "general public" image because they lose that title to Hero TV. It is quite ironic that Hero TV is more "Animax" than Animax is now. Yeah we all remember how Animax showed us Korean dramas in order to boost their rating(most likely to compete with Hero TV) and it's a frickin' disaster for Animax itself. Yes their ratings has increased but those come from 30-something housewives and single women. That craptastic moments didn't over until mid-2012 which is more than two years from May 2010. Now they are changing their strategy to show more (crappy) shoujo romance shows in order to appeal those people instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shyni View Post
I dunno, I mean, FMA Brotherhood is pretty cool.
Nah, FMA is the biggest steamin' pile o' cr@p since April 2009. I'm more interested of Tears to Tiara than that cr@p.

Yes, I bashed Animax quite bad but I won't attack Animax is they decided to rename themselves as "Shoujomax" or "Fujioshimax". Animax is not a channel for 14-years old boys and 16-years old girls.
Fuyuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-02-10, 22:46   Link #58
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
Although it is obvious that Animax-Asia is a Singapore-based channel but Philippines is their biggest market.
This is a surprise to me. I was expecting Singapore or Malaysia to be a bigger source of income for Animax since they got Animax Musix and all the Philippines had was some cosplay get-together with Alodia. Oh how I wish that an Animax Musix Philippines would happen.

I wanted to know why Animax appears to be struggling to get titles while Hero TV was able to air all six seasons of Major, all four seasons of Zero no Tsukaima and two seasons of Toaru Majutsu no Index, not to mention Michiko to Hatchin, Kamisama Dolls and many of the more recent ones so easily?

Quote:
In fact most anime shown in Animax are those that Hero TV refuse to show and today's Animax is nothing more than Hero TV's trash can, all what Hero TV didn't want ends up there. Do you know why Hero TV didn't want to show K? They knew K is a crap and it is. After that Animax is showing us even more shoujo craps which also Hero TV didn't want like Skip Beat and Neo Angelique Abyss.
Hero TV also has its own share of crap. Do you believe that they aired Musashi Gundoh there?

Quote:
Nah, FMA is the biggest steamin' pile o' cr@p since April 2009. I'm more interested of Tears to Tiara than that cr@p.
And it turns out that I can take out some of my episodes of Brotherhood from my steadily growing backlog. At least Animax can help me with that.

Old 2013-02-11, 02:27   Link #59
Shyni

Quote:
After that Animax is showing us even more shoujo craps which also Hero TV didn't want like Skip Beat and Neo Angelique Abyss.
I don't see either of those shows on the program list. Or did you mean to type "was" instead of "is"?

Quote:
Remember when Animax show us Yuu Yuu Hakusho over and over and over again?
I can't tell, are you saying this was a good thing they did, or a bad thing? Actually, they still show stuff over and over and over (Hayate the Combat Butler)

Quote:
Now they are changing their strategy to show more (crappy) shoujo romance shows in order to appeal those people instead.
As I've pointed out before: what shoujo romance? Their primetime stuff is Bleach, Beelzebub, Hayate, City Hunter. More shonen than anything else. 07-Ghost is a shoujo thing, but it doesn't seem to be categorized as romance. Seriously, people in this thread have talked about an abundance of shoujo stuff like it's actually endemic, but there's little (if any) shoujo romance currently.

Quote:
Eh, I find lots of high ratings for FMA Brotherhood wherever I look. Honestly, now this just comes off as one of those "why doesn't [this industry/company/etc] cater to my tastes?" threads.

Also, seriously, can't you just type "crap"?

Quote:
I wanted to know why Animax appears to be struggling to get titles while Hero TV was able to air all six seasons of Major, all four seasons of Zero no Tsukaima and two seasons of Toaru Majutsu no Index, not to mention Michiko to Hatchin, Kamisama Dolls and many of the more recent ones so easily?
Could be that Hero TV gets some sort of "exclusive" broadcast deal? Like, the licenses they get for certain shows means that they're the only ones who get to air those shows.

Last edited by Shyni; 2013-02-11 at 03:41.
Old 2013-02-12, 17:52   Link #60
Kameruka
Hen-Tie

Okay let's summarize what this thread is all about. The OP complains too many shoujo shows and lack of seinen ones, some people disagree, the OP fights back, he got some allies, the OP fights back, yada yada yada yada....

It goes on. So NK_500, is this what you wants? You've dragged this "discussion" for far too long. I know how angry and unsatisfied you are but please don't drag other people too.

Well NK_500 probably is an unsatisfied seinen fan at least according to his MyAnimeList account(I have no intention to stalk him but he had his MAL account in his signature right?) but at same time some other loyal Animax viewers who also shoujo fans also complained lack of good shoujo shows like Ouran High Host Club and Kimi ni Todoke and too many shounen ones like Naruto, Fairy Tail and Bleach for examples. There basically no win-win situation for both sides to begin with.

I hate to say the same thing but ahelo got it right there. Animax is more interested catering "general viewing audiences" rather than more "hardcore" or "dedicated" ones, be it seinen or shoujo ones. For example why Animax refuse to show Bakemonogatari in first place? Because it is intended to be seen by "hardcore" seinen fans. Those who aren't fans of that genre may not interested on it. Same goes for some shows that made for "hardcore" shoujo fans like Nana and Kimi ni Todoke as well.

In other words the thread OP complains that Animax is alienating seinen fans like himself but in reality Animax alienates everyone else except "general viewing audiences".