AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series > Retired > Retired A-L > Clannad

Notices

Old 2013-04-27, 17:18   Link #1541
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverKnewINeeded View Post
Wait, I thought Baka Tsuki only has the visual novel transcript.
Just check it ...
NoemiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 14:31   Link #1542
NeverKnewINeeded

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenjiChan View Post
Just check it ...
Okay, I must be an idiot, 'cause I honestly don't see it.
NeverKnewINeeded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-04-29, 15:23   Link #1543
Haiprbim
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverKnewINeeded View Post
Okay, I must be an idiot, 'cause I honestly don't see it.
You must be an idiot?
Why do you think so?
Well, on the other hand, it is Baka Tsuki... if you know what I mean... xD
Haiprbim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-05-04, 02:42   Link #1544
NeverKnewINeeded

I guess I can go try writing a Clannad fanfic of my own then.

...Or continue working on the one that I've written so far. I don't think it's that impressive though.
NeverKnewINeeded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2013-12-20, 14:29   Link #1545
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

Finally got around to buying the series and re-watching it all over again(and tearing up all over again). Man, I fuckin love hearing the OP in 5.1. It's so cool. And the English dub isn't half bad; I'm really liking it. The only things that I don't like are the way the names are pronounced (I'm looking at you, Nuh-gee-suh), and I had to warm up to Kyou's and Sunohara's voices. And to those that were complaining about Tomoya's voice sounding "too mature," I just don't see it. It sounds fitting for a high-school delinquent, and I love it when he gets mad; the voice actor conveys a lot of power.
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-16, 06:31   Link #1546
Notshane
College Member

I heard this anime got a lot of hate due to it not being true to the game it was based off of. I personally loved it!
Notshane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-16, 11:31   Link #1547
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notshane View Post
I heard this anime got a lot of hate due to it not being true to the game it was based off of. I personally loved it!
Well, I don't know who you heard that from, but they seem to have gotten the wrong idea. Because really, aside from merging all the routes together into a single continuity and taking out the romance with anyone not named Nagisa, the anime is actually very close to the source-material. Heck, a lot of people were confused by the ending, but that was literally straight out of the game. Though it was probably a bit easier to swallow there, being that having multiple endings is a completely standard thing in visual novels and all... Though for what it's worth, the anime does set up the ending and indirectly explain how it happens, it's just done in a way that's perhaps a bit too subtle, and tends to fly straight over viewers' heads if they don't already know what the ending is.
Old 2014-12-16, 16:56   Link #1548
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegard Aune View Post
Well, I don't know who you heard that from, but they seem to have gotten the wrong idea. Because really, aside from merging all the routes together into a single continuity and taking out the romance with anyone not named Nagisa, the anime is actually very close to the source-material. Heck, a lot of people were confused by the ending, but that was literally straight out of the game. Though it was probably a bit easier to swallow there, being that having multiple endings is a completely standard thing in visual novels and all... Though for what it's worth, the anime does set up the ending and indirectly explain how it happens, it's just done in a way that's perhaps a bit too subtle, and tends to fly straight over viewers' heads if they don't already know what the ending is.
Maybe someone mistook the older Deen made film for the KyoAni TV series? The older film was indeed very (but very) rushed and the few characters that it did keep it completely butchered the characterization.

KyoAni's TV series on the other hand is, to me, a masterpiece of the medium and an example of how to adapt a visual novel to the small screen.
Old 2014-12-16, 17:37   Link #1549
Vegard Aune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dextro View Post
Maybe someone mistook the older Deen made film for the KyoAni TV series? The older film was indeed very (but very) rushed and the few characters that it did keep it completely butchered the characterization.

KyoAni's TV series on the other hand is, to me, a masterpiece of the medium and an example of how to adapt a visual novel to the small screen.
Well yeah, though I feel compelled to point out that 1: the movie was done by Toei, not Deen, and 2: it actually came out a mere month before the TV-series started airing, so while it is technically "older", it is so by such a narrow margin that it basically doesn't even matter.

But yes, the movie I remember being distinctly mediocre. Like, comparing the events of After Story episode 16 to their equivalent in the movie, or heck, comparing the ending of the movie to After Story episodes 18 and 19... there isn't even the slightest competition there, the TV-series was incomparably more effective... and this despite the fact that I saw the movie first. (I do have to give the movie some credit though; On paper, its ending might actually be preferrable to what we got in the show, as I still sort of feel like the series should have ended when Tomoya forgave his father and that the whole Illusionary World aspect didn't need to exist at all.)
Old 2014-12-16, 17:45   Link #1550
Notshane
College Member

Quote:
Oh, I see. So, basically the game allowed you to play as the male lead, but you actually got to choose whom he wound up with in the ending? That makes sense, now I understand where those people were coming from. But, to me, Nagisa just felt right for Tomoya more than the other girls; like she needed him more than the others did. And now I understand those OVAs even better, too! Perhaps, they were nods for the gamers to see what would happen if Tomoya decided to date one of the other girls. Haha, this has been an insightful day.
Old 2014-12-17, 15:08   Link #1551
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Well yeah, though I feel compelled to point out that 1: the movie was done by Toei, not Deen, and 2: it actually came out a mere month before the TV-series started airing, so while it is technically "older", it is so by such a narrow margin that it basically doesn't even matter.

But yes, the movie I remember being distinctly mediocre. Like, comparing the events of After Story episode 16 to their equivalent in the movie, or heck, comparing the ending of the movie to After Story episodes 18 and 19... there isn't even the slightest competition there, the TV-series was incomparably more effective... and this despite the fact that I saw the movie first. (I do have to give the movie some credit though; On paper, its ending might actually be preferrable to what we got in the show, as I still sort of feel like the series should have ended when Tomoya forgave his father and that the whole Illusionary World aspect didn't need to exist at all.)
Mea culpa. I'm so focused on Fate right now that I just jumped to Deen for mediocre adaptations. You're right

I also had completely forgot that there was a single month in between the movie and the TV show. They look so distinct in quality that it's actually hard to pin them both down to the same time. Impressive how much better the KyoAni designs and visuals are.

Btw I wholeheartedly agree with you on the whole Illusionary world thing. I actually saw the anime before anything else and, at the time, felt that I had understood what that world meant when Nagisa's play was finished. It just felt like the mystery was resolved right there which is great scriptwriting imho.

Then the second season happened and I was back to square one and stayed there until I spoiled myself by asking folks that had played the game what the hell it meant and how could that ending come to pass. It was indeed very poorly handled in the show and just felt like a Deus Ex Machina to have everything suddenly be OK.

Then I played the game and now it all makes sense. I also now see how KyoAni was very conservative in it's adaptation and decided to basically avoid the issue as much as possible to not change the original work. Since the ending is, basically, a game mechanic that shamelessly breaks the forth wall and influences the story it becomes borderline impossible to do right on the small screen without pissing someone off. They could still have done it better though by being a bit less subtle with the hints along the show. I can think of one or maybe two times where I noticed that the show was hinting to something but it was too subtle for someone unaware of the original work to figure out.

Spoiler for Resolution of the story:

Quote:
Oh, I see. So, basically the game allowed you to play as the male lead, but you actually got to choose whom he wound up with in the ending? That makes sense, now I understand where those people were coming from. But, to me, Nagisa just felt right for Tomoya more than the other girls; like she needed him more than the others did. And now I understand those OVAs even better, too! Perhaps, they were nods for the gamers to see what would happen if Tomoya decided to date one of the other girls. Haha, this has been an insightful day.
Yhep, the OVA were mostly "what if" situations that gave heavily condensed versions of what would happen if Tomoya would have chosen another girl but, imho, the story was made for Nagisa to be the main girl since she is the only one that originally had an After Story section. Tomoyo got hers on a different (and R-rated) game later for example.

I also think that KyoAni made the wrong move in some of the routes it choose to adapt during the second season. Kyou and Ryou in particular had a route that could have been made to work with the show if only KyoAni hadn't decided to play it safe and give time to slightly minor characters like the dorm room lady whose name I can't recall right now
Old 2014-12-18, 07:25   Link #1552
Notshane
College Member

Quote:
Yhep, the OVA were mostly "what if" situations that gave heavily condensed versions of what would happen if Tomoya would have chosen another girl but, imho, the story was made for Nagisa to be the main girl since she is the only one that originally had an After Story section. Tomoyo got hers on a different (and R-rated) game later for example.

I also think that KyoAni made the wrong move in some of the routes it choose to adapt during the second season. Kyou and Ryou in particular had a route that could have been made to work with the show if only KyoAni hadn't decided to play it safe and give time to slightly minor characters like the dorm room lady whose name I can't recall right now
You mean Misae? I barely recall any scenes she was in, given it has been a VERY long time since I watched Clannad; however, if memory serves me right, didn't she fend off a team of rugby players once?

And, to me since I never read the novels, manga or whatever I am not aware of the way the stories went. To me, everything flowed well; perhaps that is also because I have more innocence than you in that the anime was my first experience and I did not have any prior thoughts of "I hope this copies the novel/manga well" or "wait a minute, didn't (plot twist) happen later on?" or whatever, like I imagine you did

Also, on an unrelated note, I just remembered one of my favorite scenes from the first season well going down memory lane; this one still gets me due to Kyou's overreaction

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
Old 2014-12-18, 16:21   Link #1553
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
You mean Misae? I barely recall any scenes she was in, given it has been a VERY long time since I watched Clannad; however, if memory serves me right, didn't she fend off a team of rugby players once?

And, to me since I never read the novels, manga or whatever I am not aware of the way the stories went. To me, everything flowed well; perhaps that is also because I have more innocence than you in that the anime was my first experience and I did not have any prior thoughts of "I hope this copies the novel/manga well" or "wait a minute, didn't (plot twist) happen later on?" or whatever, like I imagine you did
Same here. I thought that the series was great right up till the end. It wasn't until I begun thinking about what that ending meant that I really started to find a few faults with it. Then I read the VN and it all became clear. Now I still find the show brilliant but I can think of a few things that could be better.

If you can stomach it I highly recomend trying to make a couple of runs through the game. The routes for Ryou and Kyou in particular were basically ignored in the anime sadly and are very much worth a read.

Quote:
Also, on an unrelated note, I just remembered one of my favorite scenes from the first season well going down memory lane; this one still gets me due to Kyou's overreaction

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
That scene is amazing. In the game you can actually trigger it with quite a few of the girls.

Spoiler for girls available in the storage room curse:
Old 2014-12-18, 16:39   Link #1554
blakstealth
Les Pays Bass

lololololololololollo^
blakstealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-12-19, 00:30   Link #1555
Notshane
College Member

Quote:
Same here. I thought that the series was great right up till the end. It wasn't until I begun thinking about what that ending meant that I really started to find a few faults with it. Then I read the VN and it all became clear. Now I still find the show brilliant but I can think of a few things that could be better.

If you can stomach it I highly recomend trying to make a couple of runs through the game. The routes for Ryou and Kyou in particular were basically ignored in the anime sadly and are very much worth a read.
I am getting a PSP soon, so I will be able to get the game on there since that was one of the systems it was released on. I have a PS2 as well (the system most anime-related games are released on, given its HUGE lifespan it must have like a decade worth of anime on it), but a PSP is basically a portable PS2 (and also has lots of anime games on it if I remember correctly) and this looks like something I would want to go to different locations to read since I enjoyed Clannad a lot and it would be boring to just play a game like this on a console.

Quote:
That scene is amazing. In the game you can actually trigger it with quite a few of the girls.

Spoiler for girls available in the storage room curse:
And I intended not to click that, but well I was typing a reply the spoilers were uncovered and I accidentally read the bit about Nagisa's father and I was like "WHOA " lol, but wow now this game is starting to sound more interesting. Gonna give that one a crack or two once I get my PSP!
Old 2014-12-19, 16:05   Link #1556
Dextro
He Without a Title

I've been trying my best to not spoil anything from the game, glad to know it's working

Anyway I don't know if the PSP version was ever translated. There was a patch for the PC version which was passable and there's now an official PC translation effort on the way from the folks at Sekai project (who already released Planetarian on Steam some time ago).
Old 2014-12-20, 04:51   Link #1557
Notshane
College Member

Quote:
I've been trying my best to not spoil anything from the game, glad to know it's working

Anyway I don't know if the PSP version was ever translated. There was a patch for the PC version which was passable and there's now an official PC translation effort on the way from the folks at Sekai project (who already released Planetarian on Steam some time ago).
Well, that won't be an issue, for I have an alternate way of getting games to my PSP if it's not through UMD: I could put an ISO on it that has the patch applied, once it's completed that is. I hope the translation is accurate though, I do not want people whom have expert Japanese knowledge to tell me "wait, what did you think he said" and go on and on about the real dialogue :P and since it's a Japanese-exclusive release, I highly doubt any other version was translated either. If they were, they'd all have to be played on a computer to apply English patches.

The best thing about a PSP is I was aware if something was Japanese-exclusive, and it did have a fan patch, I could still play it on the original hardware given the much easier hacking capabilities of simply putting an ISO on it and have it be read with ease. And I believe the PSP is region free too, so even if I did have the UMD it would not be hard to play; except for trying to read it

But, strange thing I noticed too well looking into that. This game is a decade old, and I saw it got yet ANOTHER port; to the PS Vita now and it's actually pretty interesting that they are still porting that game over to newer systems it must really be quite something. I bet it looks amazing on that system!
Old 2014-12-20, 15:33   Link #1558
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
Well, that won't be an issue, for I have an alternate way of getting games to my PSP if it's not through UMD: I could put an ISO on it that has the patch applied, once it's completed that is. I hope the translation is accurate though, I do not want people whom have expert Japanese knowledge to tell me "wait, what did you think he said" and go on and on about the real dialogue :P and since it's a Japanese-exclusive release, I highly doubt any other version was translated either. If they were, they'd all have to be played on a computer to apply English patches.

The best thing about a PSP is I was aware if something was Japanese-exclusive, and it did have a fan patch, I could still play it on the original hardware given the much easier hacking capabilities of simply putting an ISO on it and have it be read with ease. And I believe the PSP is region free too, so even if I did have the UMD it would not be hard to play; except for trying to read it

But, strange thing I noticed too well looking into that. This game is a decade old, and I saw it got yet ANOTHER port; to the PS Vita now and it's actually pretty interesting that they are still porting that game over to newer systems it must really be quite something. I bet it looks amazing on that system!
I actually have the PSVita version and yes, it does look amazing on the OLED screen.
Old 2014-12-21, 02:46   Link #1559
Notshane
College Member

Quote:
I actually have the PSVita version and yes, it does look amazing on the OLED screen.
OLED? Holy crap, why is the PS Vita not worth more aren't OLED TVs worth like $5,000? I imagine it would be at least $500 if it were of that quality.
Old 2014-12-21, 16:12   Link #1560
Dextro
He Without a Title

Quote:
OLED? Holy crap, why is the PS Vita not worth more aren't OLED TVs worth like $5,000? I imagine it would be at least $500 if it were of that quality.
OLED is more expensive than regular LCDs yes but now that much more. What makes TVs expensive is the fact that it's hard to build large panels of OLED due to production defects, smaller panels like those on cellphones and portable game consoles are easier to build. Anyway they are still more exepnsive which is one of the reasons why the second generation ditched OLED screens

Tags
bishoujo, drama, key, romance, school life, seinen