AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2012-10-08, 19:25   Link #181
zeniselv
Staring into your soul.

wow, those characters are amazing and absolutely hilarious, i have absolutely enjoyed every second of both episodes, im so glad i gave this anime a try.
Old 2012-10-08, 19:36   Link #182
Insane
Banned

No point in watching any more episodes of this wonderful series. It’s all done except for the wedding bells.

Holy cow! What a choker ending. Completely unexpected confession from her. Haru is, deep, very deep down inside, a good person – a good man who (appears) to understands Mizu, or rather cherishes her. He’s strong enough to guide her to do something that he know will be for her benefit, but he’s not overpowering her to do those things (like skipping class). This is a delicate balance attempted by many with their female companions, but few actually succeed in (and, yes I include myself in that bunch). It’s easy to intimidate someone to do something, but to gently persuade, to gain their trust and cooperation, very cool indeed. I’m not saying this is a perfect example; each character has their flaws. But there’s some genuine thoughtfulness to this series’ writing and it showed quite well in this episode.

I thought the chicken would be more of a stupid gag, but it showed Haru taking care of it, protecting it. I don’t know if Natsume was just for this episode, but, again, her particular dysfunction is/was acted out on-line with strangers. Like Haru’s fighting, Mizu’s obsessive studying, Natsume found her escape though anonymous meetings with strangers – a non-life if you will. With no real personal dynamics in her life, I wonder if Haru intentionally ruined her off-line meeting as his way of protecting her, too? To help her, in the only way he knew how, to grow?

I know, I know, it’s only two episodes. But I gotta say that some of the other highly-hyped shows this season have had much weaker starts than this series. Hopefully, this series will continue – now that we have a mutual confession between our main characters, I’m really curious where this will go!

My prime concern however........will that chicken survive this season?
Insane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 19:40   Link #183
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by kuromitsu View Post
Haru, though, is pulling the show down, at least for me. He's just... I don't want to say "unrealistic" because this is an anime after all, but he's so unreal. Sometimes he reminds me of Morita from Honey&Clover, but even he, easily the most outlandish character in Honey&Clover, felt much more real than Haru.
It seemed to me that the romance isn't going too fast. It's been a few weeks at least.

Your comments on Haru made me suddenly realize- this is a gender switched Manic Pixie Dream Girl plot.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 20:23   Link #184
Excorsism

I really adore Sasayan and Asako's voice actors. They fit their characters perfectly. Next week time machine where?

Natsume's chicken song was hilarious too. So adorable.

Last edited by Excorsism; 2012-10-08 at 20:42.
Excorsism is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 20:24   Link #185
KyriaL
You are Reading this!

Gotta love the ever-important chicken. Thus far this show has a nice, light-hearted feel to it, which feels kind of similar to Amagami in a way, but just a little more 'detailed' and serious.
Surely this could be one of those gems of the season, unless it suddenly takes a turn for the worse.
KyriaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 20:48   Link #186
Kirarakim

Another cute episode

I am thinking the series could work well if it doesn't just focus on Haru/Shizuku (I think the reverse pixie romance is spot on here) but focuses on widening their circle of friendship.

That is why I like the addition of Natsume. She is an interesting element to the group and I think just romance could get old. We will see where they go with this.

I realized Shizuku reminds me very much of Yukino from Kare Kano. Thankfully Haru does not remind me of Arima.
Old 2012-10-08, 20:56   Link #187
GDiddy
Sisterhood of the Desu

'Chicken chicken chicken...'

Wasn't expecting to watch this, but did after hearing how good it was.

Wacky bully loves straightlaced girl in a high school romance that doesn't make me facepalm? Sold.

Along with pretty gal who would be a NEET if she were a dude....and a chicken....

Damn, I might start getting back in shojo...between this and kamisama..
GDiddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-08, 21:10   Link #188
Insane
Banned

So can we expect Haru to bring in a cow and say it is lost next time?
Old 2012-10-08, 22:16   Link #189
Dr. Casey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEroKing View Post
Images
Episode 2 screenshots
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?
"I would totally do you"

That makes two of us, Haru. That makes two of us.

And don't worry Don, this is most certainly not a Status Quo is God type of series.
Dr. Casey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 00:54   Link #190
Eclipze

Quote:
Originally Posted by GDiddy View Post
Wacky bully loves straightlaced girl in a high school romance that doesn't make me facepalm? Sold.
Don't think Haru qualifies as a bully considering that he got suspended on the first day due to HITTING a bully.
Eclipze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 00:57   Link #191
Lota

I loved this episode And for those scared that there is nothing more for the characters to do, trust me, there are soooo many things left And I think Haru will become a true character soon enough, well at least he has in the manga.

Anyway, I wonder... those who have read the manga know... while it is cute and fun and stuff, it also has that... I can't really put my finger on it... melancholy feel to it. It never attempted to be deep or anything, but it does go to some... sad (?) places, and I just can't help but wonder if the anime will manage to convey that.

And I love Natsume, I'm glad that other people like her too I love Sasayan even more

Anyhoo, I hope the rest of the episodes will be just as enjoyable!

Last edited by CrowKenobi; 2012-10-09 at 02:57. Reason: Let's keep the manga spoilers out of the anime thread and in the manga thread where they belong.
Lota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 01:57   Link #192
Archon_Wing
On a mission
*Author

Send a message via MSN to Archon_Wing
Well emotionally distant but competent and caring girls tend to appeal to me, though Monster-kun is a bit too wacky atm.

Also there's that random chicken. Hmm...

Avatar/Sig courtesy of TheEroKing
Guild Wars 2 SN: ArchonWing.9480
MyAnimeList || Reviews
Archon_Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 04:07   Link #193
Lukeman1884

Spoiler for Thoughts on ep 2:
Lukeman1884 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 05:07   Link #194
kuromitsu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
It seemed to me that the romance isn't going too fast. It's been a few weeks at least.
It still went by pretty fast, with not enough development. The episode went from Shizuku freaking out and being upset then nervous to her being completely OK with being intimately close to Haru and then confessing to him just like that. There were not enough scenes that show her getting used to her feelings and such. (I suppose this worked better in the manga, I've found that this sort of thing is usually easier to express in manga.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sackett View Post
Your comments on Haru made me suddenly realize- this is a gender switched Manic Pixie Dream Girl plot.
You're right - it really is. Thing is, though, Haru is just too conveniently perfect, the way Manic Pixie Dream Girls usually are. Not in the sense of being flawless (obviously), but he's cute, he's crazy smart, he's utterly devoted (and pretty possessive from what I can see, I wonder if they'll address that or just play it as most other manga do, as a sign of how much the guy loves the girl and nothing more), laid-back and does things his own way, is tough and talks macho, but has a "surprisingly" soft side, confident enough to "lead" the relationship, I'm sure he also has an angsty past/family situation that will make us feel sorry for him, etc, etc etc... so far the other characters feel relatively realistic, but Haru is like a walking fantasy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lukeman1884 View Post
Spoiler for Thoughts on ep 2:
Yeah, I'm sure it wasn't intended as such but it had all the wrong overtones. I wasn't bothered by the rape line in the first ep (soooo not getting into that debate, though) but that rooftop scene in this ep was pretty creepy, especially since it came out of the blue... for a moment I thought he really was doing something bad to her.
kuromitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 07:14   Link #195
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

some points from episode 2 :

Natsume.... lol! I really like the seiyuu... it's matched with Natsume's character
Sasayan is also make his appearance
Shizuku's moe face.... ^^

about the confession, I believe in manga the confession should be in later chapter...
Is the anime following manga or this is original timeline/stories?

time flew fast... last episode = midterm exam... now the final exam already near (or maybe Shizuku just over exaggerates it?)
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 07:19   Link #196
Insane
Banned

Two episodes, two confessions.

Confession is indeed a most common thing in all shoujo manga, but if it was done excessively.......makes the romance feels kinda awkward to me.
Old 2012-10-09, 15:24   Link #197
mitsuganae

I really hope this series doesn't go the same route as Kaichou wa Maid-sama, where an admirable heroine is constantly bested and rescued by an utterly possessive ass with a laughably unrealistic skill set. The whole exam score issue raised some alarms in this respect.

Otherwise, I think this series is a great ride so far. The characterization of the two leads is touching (and no tsundere, thank Amun!), and the comedy is enjoyable without being too gaggy. I like the use of love(/confession) as a starting point rather than a culmination -- it opens up a lot of possibilities not accessible to conventional love-as-goal directed romances.
mitsuganae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 15:40   Link #198
hussien-11

am I the only one who didn't like this show ? after 2 episodes I feel it's medicore at best
characters ( especially Haru ) felt unrealistic to me, there's too many things that doesn't make any sense.
hussien-11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 18:54   Link #199
wandering-dreamer
reads too much

Cute comparison between the anime and manga.
wandering-dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-10-09, 19:27   Link #200
FredFriendly
Beyond the Fringe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Yami~ View Post
about the confession, I believe in manga the confession should be in later chapter...
Although they are few and far between, there are other manga/anime series where there is a confession near the beginning of the story, which allows the series to explore different aspects of relationship building than the usual plot. And it's nice to see something different once in a while.

Quote:
Is the anime following manga or this is original timeline/stories?
As I said in my earlier post, episode 2 is chapter three of the manga in anime form, including the confession. I recommend you look at this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wandering-dreamer View Post
Thanks for this! It does show just how closely the anime team is following the manga.
FredFriendly is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
romantic comedy, shoujo