AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2017-01-06, 15:00   Link #41
alex_drian

I don't like it, in fact, I hate it, dropped!
alex_drian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 15:08   Link #42
Kyral
OC Belka Scriptor

Not bad at all.
3 episodes rule is still in effect though...
Old 2017-01-06, 15:22   Link #43
Ghostfriendly

First episode seemed mainly designed to show off as many cute girls as possible. A serious drama would focus more on the hero and heroine. The heroine lost her vaunted composure far too easily over the food, as well, and the tie-pull felt unjustified without more serious circumstances. Don't like the look of this one.
Ghostfriendly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 16:16   Link #44
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Episode 1

This was a wee bit too redpill for me. Really uncomfortable stuff with all the "women only want hot guys" or "women that reject guys are cruel" and etc.

On bright side both leads are sufficiently asshole-ish to make for some interesting tension that hopefully won't get toned down.

Will still for few episodes to see whether the good or bad side of the show becomes prevalent.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 17:57   Link #45
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Dresden View Post
Episode 1

This was a wee bit too redpill for me. Really uncomfortable stuff with all the "women only want hot guys" or "women that reject guys are cruel" and etc.
Redpill? This series is so far into animeland I couldn't relate it to real life at all. Maybe I've just forgotten what real life was...
Old 2017-01-06, 18:09   Link #46
Tenzen12

Quote:
Episode 1

On bright side both leads are sufficiently asshole-ish to make for some interesting tension that hopefully won't get toned down.

Will still for few episodes to see whether the good or bad side of the show becomes prevalent.
You mean "women that reject guy, ridicule and humiliate in front of everyone are cruel", right?" Yeah I can't why would anyone call them cruel just for doing so either....

Well people with good apparence can get away with lot (my female best friend was like that too), though it's quite rare see male version of it that's actually plus.
Old 2017-01-06, 18:33   Link #47
Ghostfriendly

Quote:
Episode 1

Oh, by redpill, you meant sexist? Agree with Tenzen that main girl rejects guys with excessive severity, and the 'hot guys' business seemed to be played for laughs, but, taken seriously, it could be viewed as sexist.

For a good tsundere, it seems like her sweet and her mean sides are both sincere. The gym locker scene in ep 1 seemed to suggest that the main girl's cool and composed character could be faked, implying the insincerity of strong women, which seemed a little sexist to me.
Old 2017-01-06, 18:51   Link #48
Harry Dresden
Paranoid Zebra

Redpill is way beyond "normal" levels of sexism. In fact it is more tied with misogyny than sexism. Over the years the term(due to where it originates from) came to be associated with the very specific entitled stance, in most of cases connected to idea of of dating and romance.If your average sexism would be stuff like people writing off a person because of their gender, the kind of behavior that represents the redpill ideas would be stuff like "women can only be comfortable with dominant capable males and the current society is threatening them!" and that kind of stuff.

Anyway in terms of show, its not just about the lead girl.

There's some strange prevalent "take that" in the way parts of episode are framed, with the whole "I am hot now so I will teach them a lesson" thing. Especially in the way the whole female cast gets portrayed when the show wants to show about how the MC can get away with stuff "because he is hot". There's a sense of superiority that the narrative emphasizes in terms of MC in regards of females. As I said before the whole idea that "fit and dominant male can easily conquer the hearts of all women" and that all women naturally will flock to that, etc. For example the tennis court scene or the whole "I can get away slacking because I am hot and women will forgive me" stuff. The first episode continuously portrays the female characters as some fickle hormone-driven cheerleaders whom the MC wraps around his finger with some nice words every time.
Then you have that last scene where the MC is all kind and nice to the guy who LITERALLY ATTACKED the lead girl and the show is portraying the guy as sympathetic and sorry and all that stuff and I am just like "What?". That smells like show is implying it was not the guy's fault and that the lead female literally "brought it onto itself" Or "deserved to be attacked" kind of ideas which, no matter what person has done, is a big NO.

As for Lead Girl. I think the problem is that the show so far took a stereotype(strong no-bs over-achiever female) and associated with with over-exaggerated negative acts of cruelty. Its way too extreme unless there's some earth-shattering reason for her to act this way. She feels like a caricature so far rather than a real person.
Of course the show MIGHT decide to subvert that for all I know. Which as people already said poses a threat of implying that "strong and independent women just fake and over-exaggerate their strengths and go to extremes because they are actually insecure inside and want to be loved".

Like, its a problem in overall media too but there's no secret that anime and manga medium generally can really struggle with how female characters are written, so it is especially worrisome when you see stuff like this here.

Either way there's a chance that's just writing faults overall and the show might actually develop them into real people. The MC is already portrayed as kind of a horrible person himself(like the last scene could be read as him literally thanking the guy for attacking her and inadvertently helping with his blackmail and manipulation), hence why I am not going to write the show off just yet as the chemistry between two "awful people" kind of leads is so far good.

Last edited by Harry Dresden; 2017-01-06 at 19:03.
Harry Dresden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 19:09   Link #49
Ghostfriendly

It stopped just short of showing the scissor attack as justified, but would have been better to see scissors guy punished for actions, or apologising to the girl. The main guy's plotting an manically laughter somewhat undermined his 'perfect man' image, which really is an image. I'll say that there's 'good chemistry' between the leads when they interact deeply rather than doing things around each other.

Last edited by Ghostfriendly; 2017-01-06 at 20:36.
Old 2017-01-06, 19:41   Link #50
Dop
Mmmm....

I didn't get through the first episode, i was so full of "Nope".
Dop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 19:41   Link #51
frivolity
My posts are frivolous

Pretty interesting premise with a decent first episode. I've seen similar stuff with Korean dramas (200 pounds beauty), but with the genders reversed, so I'm interested to see how this one ends up.

Goeben Alaska Hood Albacore Archerfish

Lexington Hornet Taihou Ranger Surcouf

Wichita Houston Sirius Yuubari Brooklyn

Ikazuchi Hibiki Aviere Akizuki Suzutsuki

frivolity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 20:40   Link #52
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Quote:
Episode 1

OK, let's be realistic. Attractiveness plays a HUGE role in how you're treated by people as immature as high school students. It's not "women only want hot guy", it's "hormone-charged brats are too focused on looks". And this is all too true. Frankly, whether you like it or not it actually does remain largely true for far too many people well after they reach adulthood. An attractive man and an unattractive man can do the same thing, and the unattractive man will be treated like a creep while the attractive man will be treated like a charming gentleman. It's just worse in high school. There are limits of course, and an unattractive man who works hard enough can overcome at least with individuals just like an attractive man can wind up a school creep similar to Shigeo in this episode. But still in general it's actually quite accurate.

And it's not "women who reject guys are cruel". The portrayal was not meant to be that of a woman who rejects guys, but of a woman who makes a show of guys who fall for her. If it was something milder then I could see the argument that they're trying to make rejection seem cruel, but when they make a point of the fact that the girl attacks the reputation of people and makes fools of them in public after they confess to her is something far beyond "rejection". It's a sadistic game of an arrogant girl who likes turning people's love into a nightmare.

Anyway I'm somewhat looking forward to this. I've been wanting a story in which a bully who unrepentantly humiliated/ruined another person's life gets some payback and maybe is forced step by step to learn how their victims felt and find some remorse.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 21:27   Link #53
rladls2121

Wait, and there are people still confess their love to her?
Is it her looks? Money? Talents?
Or don't tell me that you are a M?

One got his embarrassing secret exposed to the whole school
One got his written love letter read to the whole class and ripped into pieces.
On top of that Aki sat on someone's desk, pulling someone's necktie that is seated and forcefully demanded the person's whereabouts who wrote a love letter to her.
Well, what was written in there was rather disturbing, but that is besides the point.
rladls2121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 21:37   Link #54
AB079
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by rladls2121 View Post
Wait, and there are people still confess their love to her?
Is it her looks? Money? Talents?
Or don't tell me that you are a M?

One got his embarrassing secret exposed to the whole school
One got his written love letter read to the whole class and ripped into pieces.
On top of that Aki sat on someone's desk, pulling someone's necktie that is seated and forcefully demanded the person's whereabouts who wrote a love letter to her.
Well, what was written in there was rather disturbing, but that is besides the point.
Is not like they confess their love, is more like "hey this is the girl that nobody can get! i'll go after her and show how cool I am!".

Basically Aki just throw them into the oblivion because of that I guess.
AB079 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-06, 21:46   Link #55
rladls2121

^Sorry I forgot, Shigeo was only inviting Aki somewhere.
And Tanabe was only impressed with Aki's thighs.

So people still want to be involved with her?
She is bad news!
People should do their research on her and her family's background.
Quote:
As for Lead Girl. I think the problem is that the show so far took a stereotype(strong no-bs over-achiever female) and associated with with over-exaggerated negative acts of cruelty. Its way too extreme unless there's some earth-shattering reason for her to act this way. She feels like a caricature so far rather than a real person.
I love this, "Its way too extreme unless there's some earth-shattering reason for her to act this way.".
Old 2017-01-06, 22:26   Link #56
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

Quote:
I'm not even watching this series but that is... like... what? Is it me or the main aspect of Accel World - namely the FREAKING VIRTUAL REALITY BATTLES - is kind of absent from this show at all? And even if we look just at the harem/rom-com side, that one had a fat protagonist who got the sexiest girl in the school fall for him anyway (even though she's kind of a cold, detached type), and this one has the girl rejecting the fat protagonist who then slims down to get his revenge... I'd understand it more if they had called it a gender-bent version of "Kiss him, not me", but even that would be a huge stretch.
I think the Accel World comparisons begin with Aki looking like Kuroyukihime [long black hair, slender physique, lady-like dominant personality with a more gentle inner side, and choice of legwear] and the fat guy (who eventually got better).
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 00:00   Link #57
DragoonKain3
Osana-Najimi Shipper

Whoah, mention of redpill in this forums? I've never thought I'd see the day. Honestly, there is some truth of redpill philosophy, but as far as the anime is concerned, it's merely used as a plot device and even for laughs. I personally wouldn't overthink it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuroageha View Post
@DragoonKain3
Not sure if serious or sarcastic.
Honest to God serious. For once, it's the guy who is obsessed with his childhood friend. Like how many harems have there been where the girl childhood friend is the one always making the effort? Here it's also the guy who is watching what he eats, works out every day, and tries his best to have good looks. It's refreshing to see the gender roles swapped this time around. My only concern is that this will devolve into your usual harem, and that's why I'm crossing my fingers all those other girls won't have much screen time and the focus will just be on Masamune and Aki.

As for the VA's I'm not impressed with Aki's VA. I mean, this is partly due to me having thought of Hayamin as Aki's VA back when it was still a manga, and it is quite weird she's voicing a guy. Still, I didn't get the sharpness that I thought Aki should ahve coming from Ohashi. Maybe it will grow on me?

But Hanae? I'd give him three thumbs up if I can. He nailed the narcisstic side, but also his false confidence that he built up for himself all these years. On the outside he's the perfect guy, but on the inside he's still the fatty who got dumped. And him trying to keep up the 'cool' persona while on the inside he was hurting like hell? Yep Hanae really conveyed it all.

Yes its YOU childhood friend - source of BERZERKER RAGE since forever
Childhood Friend couple STATISTICS(spoilers abound though)
DragoonKain3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 00:14   Link #58
Marcus H.
Princess or Plunderer?

I think Hanae has it in him. Remember that he had a history of being an asshole in his role as Quenser in Heavy Object.
Spring 2023: Yamada-kun to Lv999 no Koi wo Suru, Kuma Kuma Kuma Bear Punch! (4/12), Skip to Loafer, Tonikaku Kawaii S2 (1/12), Otonari ni Ginga (5/12) and Kimi wa Houkago Insomnia (3/13).

Contact me on Wikia and MyAnimeList.
Anime List Status ~ Watching: 33. Completed: 468. Plan to watch: 39.
Marcus H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-01-07, 00:47   Link #59
rladls2121

I looked it up and Hanae, he also voiced Shijima Hokuto from Yugioh Arc V.
No wonder he is good at voicing as Makabe.

I forgot if Hayami voiced a girly boy character before.
But I like this one too.

Actually, lot of casts in this anime are very familar.
Old 2017-01-07, 09:56   Link #60
BWTraveller
Born to ship

Sad thing is that since she's at least apparently being set up as the love interest, they'll probably come up with some way to excuse her behavior. But as others have said she's done at least as bad if not worse to others, so she deserves what he's planning for her if not more.

One thing, the first confession (which I believe was an extra in the first volume) was certainly softened a bit. I mean, originally the guy had bought "Loli-Cube" hidden in a college prep-book. It's one thing for a girl to reveal the guy's interest in a gender-swap history piece; it's another for her to reveal in front of all his admirers that he's a lolicon.
BWTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
harem, romcom