AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Archived Manga & Light Novel Discussion

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2006-08-22, 11:54   Link #1
martino
makes no files now

Hoshi no Koe (Voices of a Distant Star)

Is this manga any good?
Old 2006-08-22, 12:22   Link #2
Mentar
Banned

There's a _manga_ for it?!?

The anime is a classic, a brilliant piece of art. No idea about the manga, but I'd definitely give it a try.
Old 2006-08-22, 12:31   Link #3
marcosv

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
Is this manga any good?
I liked the manga. Not as dramatic or rich as the anime. It has different art. But, it was readable and had a more resolved ending than the anime.

A while back, before the last hack took out a lot of messages here at AnimeSuki, someone posted a translation of a more complete ending than either the manga or the anime. Apparently it came out of some novel.
Old 2006-08-22, 12:37   Link #4
Amaranthine

...I just bought the manga this morning. That's kinda weird timing. o_o I haven't read all of it yet, but it delivers so far. IMO, the art is just gorgeous, especially the colour pages at the beginning. It does appeal to my specific tastes though, so I don't know what others would think...

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcosv
A while back, before the last hack took out a lot of messages here at AnimeSuki, someone posted a translation of a more complete ending than either the manga or the anime. Apparently it came out of some novel.
I know what happens in that, and I didnt really like it... I think I'm glad it's not in the manga. I love open endings, when they're done well.
Old 2006-08-22, 13:12   Link #5
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Quote:
someone posted a translation of a more complete ending than either the manga or the anime. Apparently it came out of some novel.
ISTR the DVD liner notes explained what happened after the end of the film, ie. she returns to Earth at sub-light speed and they all live happily ever after.

Clever thing is, extreme time dilation at near light speed means she hasn't aged significantly so twenty-something Noboru gets to marry a 16 year old schoolgirl despite the fact they were originally the same age ^_^;;
Old 2006-08-22, 16:53   Link #6
martino
makes no files now

So is it worth getting then, even just for the ending???
Old 2006-08-22, 17:00   Link #7
KoroshiyaX
X

Could someone post a summary of the manga ending in a spoiler tag?
Old 2006-08-22, 18:45   Link #8
marcosv

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino
So is it worth getting then, even just for the ending???
I think it was well worth my $10. As Amaranthine mentions, the art is nice. I like the character designs better than what was used in the anime.

Reading the manga made me go back and rewatch the OVA. It still amazes me how much was put in this 30 minutes and how much a viewer takes away when watching it. Both beatifull to watch and thought provoking.

I liked the ending of the OVA which was open ended enough to make me wonder what the creator, Makoto Shinkai, had in mind as what happened after it ended. As it is, the OVA ended well because it ended with nice action and the joining of the two characters in thoughts although not physically near each other. Add in the awesome music, it was great. As a short film it was perfection.

However, I do wonder what happens afterwards and would have liked a sequel.

Spoiler for Manga ending thoughts:
Old 2006-08-22, 19:07   Link #9
marcosv

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoroshiyaX
Could someone post a summary of the manga ending in a spoiler tag?
Spoiler for Manga synopsis:
Old 2006-08-22, 19:24   Link #10
arias

Manga was well drawn, and emotional too. The mangaka was very modest about his/her abilities, but I thought it really did the job well enough. In certain ways I liked it more than the anime because.. I felt more comfort at the end : )

The anime offers brilliant bg's that the manga can't match up to, though. Overall, I'd say it's a must-read for anime fans.
Old 2006-08-22, 22:05   Link #11
marcosv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou
ISTR the DVD liner notes explained what happened after the end of the film, ie. she returns to Earth at sub-light speed and they all live happily ever after.

Clever thing is, extreme time dilation at near light speed means she hasn't aged significantly so twenty-something Noboru gets to marry a 16 year old schoolgirl despite the fact they were originally the same age ^_^;;
Liner notes? Was that the Japanese release? The US/ADV release didn't have anything like that.
Old 2006-09-07, 18:54   Link #12
Samatarou
Son of God
*Artist

Yes, the Japanese DVD came with a booklet which explained what happened next (kind of odd thing to do, suggests someone had a lack of confidence in the way the anime leaves it open), I think there was a translation of it at animeondvd.com at the time.
Old 2006-09-07, 21:41   Link #13
marcosv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou
Yes, the Japanese DVD came with a booklet which explained what happened next (kind of odd thing to do, suggests someone had a lack of confidence in the way the anime leaves it open), I think there was a translation of it at animeondvd.com at the time.
Thanks for the info. I tried finding that translation of the booklet at animeondvd, but, came up empty.

A google search turned up a Makoto Shinkai Fan Website in English:

http://daike.hp.infoseek.co.jp/index.html

Good synopsis of the manga, details of what's he's been working on more recently. But, alas no details on the ending in the booklet.

So if anyone does turn up a translation or summary of that ending --- or the novel mentioned at that fansite --- please let us know.
Old 2006-09-08, 01:09   Link #14
arias

Quote:
A google search turned up a Makoto Shinkai Fan Website in English:

http://daike.hp.infoseek.co.jp/index.html

Good synopsis of the manga, details of what's he's been working on more recently. But, alas no details on the ending in the booklet.

So if anyone does turn up a translation or summary of that ending --- or the novel mentioned at that fansite --- please let us know.
I actually asked the webmaster of the Makoto Shinkai FW to translate the novel.. ; ) He replied and said it would take alot of time but he's going to look into it. So we might have good things coming up after all

As for the translation/summary of that ending.. It's something like urban legend. I don't know if it really exists; I was left slightly unsatisfied with Hoshi no Koe's ending and roamed the net for more and found multiple .txt files supposedly containing the "real" ending. It goes something like:

Spoiler:

Again, my memory is hazy because I read it back in 2003. Hopefully someone can give a confirmation; in the meantime I would think the manga is similarly authoriative since Makoto Shinkai wrote the plot as well. It was also completed in December 2004, which was two years after the original release of Hoshi no Koe (2002). So, the manga's plot would have been carved later than whatever linear notes, if any, were written on the booklet.
Old 2006-11-07, 13:24   Link #15
martino
makes no files now

I started reading the manga, right now on chapter 9. In fact this is my first ever manga, and I'm really enjoying. I think that gives a deeper inside into the characters. I also like the fact that it has more...well how would you actually call it...side stories? It isn't just two characters, like in the OVA IIRC(I've watched it a long time ago). I found it quite sad as well, so far...some bits, like when Noboru stopped checking his messages or when Mikako said that she wants to return home. That sort of cracked me up...
Old 2006-11-09, 19:00   Link #16
Forbin
I'm a sucker for Harem

Finished the Manga.

Honestly because the score and voices are missing, it isn't as good.

And the part at the end where he goes to save her, that can't make ANY sense. By the time he arrives it will be 8 years later and she is in a broken ship on a hostile planet.....Yah...that makes lots of sense.

IMHO the Anime was better.

1) By and Large...they are ** and *****.
2) What kind of girls do Anime Otaku males want? ..................... Female.
3) The odds are good, that the goods are odd.
Old 2006-11-09, 19:20   Link #17
dpryciak

Send a message via MSN to dpryciak Send a message via Yahoo to dpryciak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samatarou View Post

DANG! Now I know the ending...BUT, because I know the ending, I can watch it withou thinking: AK, traditional sad Japanese ending!!
Old 2006-11-11, 18:27   Link #18
martino
makes no files now

It's good to know what happens afterwards, makes me feel so much better...
Old 2008-03-17, 08:29   Link #19
FuzzyWuzzy

There's like time discrepancies no matter how I look at it or try to explain it.
Mikako didn't age when she was writing the messages but Noburu did. So what's up with that.
Even if I say that 10 years is a lot of time and maybe they made better ships by then, it still has a lot of time discrepancies.

Edit:
I think it has something to do with how time affects us while traveling in lightspeed. See, I wish I studied the basics of Einstein's theory, maybe I will understand this better.

Edit 2:
K I think I figured this out. When an object or matter moves away from Earth in a very high velocity, and that object then makes a U turn and returns back to Earth, more time would have passed on Earth than on that object. So when the space ship moved from Mars to Pluto, more time has passed on Earth than on that space ship. This is due to the way space is made up of. When Mikako sends the message, the cell phone is using electro magnetic waves as a way to transmit the signal. Think of it as how we listen to the radio. The station broadcasts radio waves and our antenna receives those waves. The farther apart the source from the destination, the longer it will take to reach. So in this case, it will take 1 year.

So when Mikako went to Pluto, it may be in an instant for her but time has passed already on earth. So she stays young while Nobu grows old. So when she sends that message from that galaxy, it took 8 years for the electro magnetic waves to travel.

So now that Nobu is going to rescue her, it won't take 8 years just to get there. It could be a year, a month, a week or a day or even a second. Although Nobu may get there very fast, that doesn't mean time will be the same on Earth or on that galaxy.

I'm not really sure about my explanation on whether it is 100% accurate but I hope it helps a little.

Last edited by FuzzyWuzzy; 2008-03-17 at 15:40.
Closed Thread