AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Current Series > One Piece

Notices

Old 2017-08-02, 01:46   Link #1
marvelB

One Piece - Chapter 874 [manga]

Welcome to the weekly manga discussion thread for One Piece.

Thread GuidelineBriefs
  • One Piece is licensed by Viz, please don't ask for or mention where to find or download the manga.
  • Please do not discuss scanlations, translation groups, etc., etc.
  • Raw requests and offers are not permitted anywhere on this forum.
  • Discuss your expectations of the chapter if it has not been published yet.
  • Posting a synopses or summary is fine (and welcome).
  • Be polite to your fellow forum members.
  • Please try to keep the discussion on topic.
  • Spoilers will not be policed in this thread, so if you haven't read the chapter yet, just stay out if you don't want to read spoilers.
Remember that the manga is licensed, do not post significant parts of the chapter. This includes images, scripts and direct translations of the manga. Summaries are OK, crops of pictures are OK (only if you need to illustrate your point) but this is it.

Let's do this! Credit goes to AP's Redon for the info:

-Let's start things off with a little something special: The results for Japan's sixth popularity poll are out! Here's the top 50 winners:

Quote:
1. Luffy: 11,737 votes.
2. Zoro: 10,442 votes.
3. Sanji: 10,215 votes.
4. Law: 7,997 votes.
5. Ace: 4,605 votes.
6. Jinbe: 3,884 votes.
7. Chopper: 3,301 votes.
8. Nami: 3,269 votes.
9. Sabo: 2,967 votes.
10. Hancock: 2,452 votes.
11. Shanks: 2,010 votes.
12. Robin: 1,952 votes.
13. Cavendish: 1,742 votes.
14. Reiju: 1,665 votes.
15. Usopp: 1,409 votes.
16. Rocinante: 1,230 votes.
17. Doflamingo: 1,125 votes.
18. Crocodile: 1,050 votes.
19. Brook: 936 votes.
20. Franky: 861 votes.
20. Marco: 861 votes.
22. Perhona.
23. Vivi.
24. Bon Kure.
25. Kuzan.
26. Carrot.
27. Shirohige.
28. Pudding.
29. Bartolomeo.
30. Nekomamushi.
31. Shirahoshi.
32. Smoker.
32. Tashigi.
34. Buggy.
35. Koala.
36. Eustass "Captain" Kid.
37. Rayleigh.
38. Gol D. Roger.
39. Eiichiro Oda.
40. Rebecca.
41. Bepo.
42. Rob Rucchi.
43. Enel.
44. Ain (Film Z).
45. Katakuri.
46. SeƱor Pink.
47. Farafra.
48. Kurohige.
49. Urouge.
50. Pandaman.
-Moving on, the chapter title is "King Baum". I believe the above poll results are the focus of the splash page this time around.

-As Big Mom chases Luffy's group, she's holding on to her living hat, Napoleon. She attacks them with a technique similar to one that's used by the giants, which strike King Baum, who cries out in pain and begs BM for forgiveness. Nami asks Baum who the lady tree from the previous chapter was, and he responds that she's his fiance. Hearing this, Nami says that King Baum must live on for the sake of his love....

-Nami then launches a "Black Ball", a ball of lightning, from her clima tact. This attracts Zeus' attention, who accidentally throws BM off of him while he goes to eat Nami's lightning. Taking advantage of this, the group leads the living cloud further into the woods, who asks Nami for more shocking treats. Luffy asks Zeus if he can ride him, but he says only Big Mom is allowed to. Nami brings up a different request: For Zeus to become her servant. Interestingly, HE AGREES!

-The enraged Big Mom orders the forest's homies to stop them. However, when some trees try to block their way, King Baum, for the sake of seeing his beloved again, knocks them aside! However, just when it seems the coast is clear, a new obstacle appears: Prometheus! The living sun crushes King Baum, and sets him ablaze....!!!

-Meanwhile, in Brulee's mirror world, she has 10,000 soldiers on standby, ready to be dispatched at anytime, anywhere around the island. The other Big Mom pirates are on patrol around the island and its surrounding seas, as well.... in fact, Katakuri is even waiting for the Straw-Hats aboard the Thousand Sunny!!!

-As for Pudding, she manages to get in contact with Chiffon, who intends to run away like Lola did. However, Pudding tells her that she's not making the cake for the sake of her family, or their island. She's doing it to stop Big Mom from slaughtering "that person" and his friends....!!!!
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 03:56   Link #2
Ramero
7th Order Knight / Hermit

Wow, Katakuri can get there fast because of Brulee eh? And i think Nami is quite a naughty person, using Zeus as bargaining chip to their escape. She is after all, the girl that loves to bargain things for her benefits.
Ramero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 10:45   Link #3
Rainbowman

So there's some chance of redemption for Pudding after all. Though it's for different reasons.
Rainbowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-02, 17:57   Link #4
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Zeus becoming Nami's servant was quite unexpected to say the least.

Glad that it's confirmed Pudding did have a change of heart.
Old 2017-08-04, 09:56   Link #5
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Well it sure as hell doesn't look like Pudding is holding a grudge to me.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 12:04   Link #6
Orochiro

Wow so Big Mom can even do the same compressed air blast that Dorry and Brogy used in Little Garden.
Orochiro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 12:16   Link #7
Zolton

This fight isn't very interesting, but I really want to know how Straw Hats will get out of this.
Zolton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 13:34   Link #8
Hoodspirit

If I had to rank the Characters myself it would look like this:
Spoiler for my top 50:

Ranking them is pretty hard, even with 50 slots I couldn't squeeze in everyone that I liked or that has surprised me in a positive way. There are however some characters in the list that I didn't actually like, but are very well executed given their timeframe and role.

The chapter itself was nice, but I just don't feel the tension from an escape, no matter how hopeless it is depicted, compared to a straight top fight that is being constantly teased. I can't wait for the panel where Nami says:'Luffy, go take her on.' or so. But it won't come this arc probably.
Hoodspirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 21:31   Link #9
marvelB

As far as the poll goes, I'm a bit sad that Bartolomeo dropped out of the top 10.... on the other hand, I'm glad to see Jinbei jump up so high. Personally, I wish Brooke and Franky were up higher as well, but.... oh well. Maybe next poll....

Anyways, I liked that Linlin used that sea splitter attack that Dorry/Broggy used back then. Really does show off her connection to the Elbaf giants. Also, now that Nami made Zeus her slave servant, I wonder if she'll make him fight Prometheus in exchange for more of those thunder treats. Still, even if they do manage to shake off BM, there's still Katakuri and all of the forces keeping surveillance around Totland to deal with.....

BTW, speaking of Katakuri, I brought this up in the SBS thread, but.... Oda changed his DF class. He's no longer a Logia, but instead classified as a "Special" Paramecia". Just wanted to throw that out there.....
marvelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 22:19   Link #10
~Yami~
a random Indonesian otaku

congratulations, Sanji... you have a legit waifu that loves you but still she might die

and Zeus are we going to give Nami more power boost?
~Yami~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-04, 22:51   Link #11
Ramero

In addition, they have to recapture Brulee again to stop the mirror reinforcements since Sunny's ship is linked with Brulee's mirror world. Much worse is Katakuri is there but i wonder if he expect that Zeus defected to Straw Hats due to Nami's demand to become her servant for this.

Now, it's not done yet. Not only Straw Hats have to leave BM territory, they also have to fight long enough to survive the pursuers attack.
Old 2017-08-05, 02:05   Link #12
The Small One

With Big Mom's troops on the ship and herself immediately behind them, I think an escape is out ouf the question now.
They have to fight and defeat her in this arc.
The Small One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-05, 06:26   Link #13
Ultragunner

Part of me wants to believe that Pudding has been "converted" by Sanji, but another part is still screaming "you should never trust her!!!"

And honestly, who knows what she will really do? Massive props to Oda for building up Pudding
Old 2017-08-05, 13:02   Link #14
Kanon
Kana Hanazawa ♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultragunner View Post
Part of me wants to believe that Pudding has been "converted" by Sanji, but another part is still screaming "you should never trust her!!!"

And honestly, who knows what she will really do? Massive props to Oda for building up Pudding
I want to believe! She seems sincere to me this time.
Old 2017-08-05, 13:13   Link #15
khoa1708
www.kh0a.net

zeus is new SH member?
Old 2017-08-05, 16:27   Link #16
ars89
One-Eyed Dragon

Highlights were Nami stealing Zeus and Pudding's real motive.

I wonder why Oda changed the df fruit, hopefully we can get an answer later.

Regarding the poll i'm happy and sad about a couple of places. Kind of surprised by Rosinante's place.
Old 2017-08-05, 17:13   Link #17
Tommy
Mr. Prince

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramero View Post
In addition, they have to recapture Brulee again to stop the mirror reinforcements since Sunny's ship is linked with Brulee's mirror world. Much worse is Katakuri is there but i wonder if he expect that Zeus defected to Straw Hats due to Nami's demand to become her servant for this.

Now, it's not done yet. Not only Straw Hats have to leave BM territory, they also have to fight long enough to survive the pursuers attack.
I'm really curious to see what will happen with Brulee as well. Not only is her ability a pain, but she is the only one that knows Brooke stole the copy of the Poneglyph (my guess is that she will remember to tell BM after the Strawhats have escaped). I also think her powers will be used to transport sanji to Pudding so they can make the cake together or the other way around and they transport the cake to big mom or big mom to the cake.

Maybe Pudding will even give her life to big mom in exchange for the Strawhats to leave BM's territory. After that they will pursue the Strawhats again.
Tommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-06, 21:14   Link #18
adriankhoo153

I am thiking Zeus will save the day by fetching all the SH crew to their ship
adriankhoo153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-09, 10:31   Link #19
itachi-san314

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Small One View Post
With Big Mom's troops on the ship and herself immediately behind them, I think an escape is out ouf the question now.
They have to fight and defeat her in this arc.
It's always possible for outside interference. That won't happen until the SHs get sandwiched by BM and Dogtooth and all hope seems lost though. There's no way the SH group can win on their own here.

Nami taming Zeus is a fairly big turn of events, but I assume BM can just take that piece of her soul back once she learns of the betrayal.

It's also possible that they quell BM with delicious food she has never had before, but the suspense will be drawn out for a long time from now if that's going to be the resolution.
itachi-san314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2017-08-09, 13:15   Link #20
Ramero

Not to mention that we need to know what is Germa up to since they are also most likely gunning their way out from Whole Cake Island and most likely assisting Straw Hats to escape from Whole Cake Island as well. They don't want to get indebted to Sanji so at least they can do it by aiding their escape.