AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Today's Posts Search

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Support > Tech Support

Notices

Old 2007-04-20, 23:07   Link #1
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Is it possible to edit subtitles in softsubs?

I was wondering if it is possible to edit subtitles in softsubs; you know, change a few words and such. I think I read somewhere about it.

And if possible, how?

To be more specific MKV files, with ASS and SRT subs (not sure if this terms are correct).

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 00:50   Link #2
Ledgem
Love Yourself

Yes. Open the ASS or SRT with Notepad, and edit it there. Just don't touch the time values (the things on the left, should be pretty obvious) or any style codings.

Also note that if you adjust some wordings, depending on what it was for, you might also need to adjust the placement. Placement is done by pixel units. You can experiment with this in real-time (make a change, save the file, reload the video to that segment and see what just happened).
Old 2007-04-21, 21:08   Link #3
Nicholi
King of Hosers

In more relation of how to exactly get the subtitles out of the MKV. You have to go get mkvtoolnix and use the mkvextract application. Its rather simple to use, all you do is something like this
Code:
mkvextract.exe tracks "here_is_my.mkv" 3:"subtitles.ass"
That extracts the 3rd track in the MKV file and names it "subtitles.ass". If the subtitle track isn't the 3rd just change the number. There is also a GUI for mkvextract but not really necessary for something as simple as this, you just need the subtitles.

Both the SRT and SSA/ASS formats are for the most part simple text subs. You can easily edit them in notepad or whatnot text editor. After you are done open mmg.exe (mkvmerge GUI) and add the original MKV. You should see all the tracks inside of it, uncheck the old subtitle track, and add the new subtitle file. Then you just hit Mux. Everything else is copied over from the old file: chapters, timecodes, all the other tracks, fonts, etc. You may want to be sure you to force the new subtitle track as default (you'll see that in a dropdown) if there are multiple subtitle tracks.
Nicholi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-21, 22:15   Link #4
Nemo_N
Anime Leecher

Thanks guys!
Nemo_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2007-04-23, 21:10   Link #5
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

You can also give Aegisub a shot.... it is working fairly well for me.
Old 2012-04-14, 10:56   Link #6
Kaijo
Banned

Location: Somewhere over the rainbow, in a house dropped on an ugly, old woman.
Send a message via AIM to Kaijo Send a message via MSN to Kaijo
Not sure where else to ask this, and I would rather use a current thread then start a new one, so...

I've downloaded MKVExtractGUI2 2.2.2.9 and placed it in the MKVtoolnix folder. I open the GUI and select the subtitle track I want to extract(it's an .ssa file in an .mkv file) and hit "Extract" and, it seems to work, but there is no output file. I'm currently using Windows 7 64 bit OS. I mainly want to correct a few spelling errors, and perhaps change a word or two.

Has anyone run across this issue? Is there something else I can do to just fix a word here and there in a subtitled MKV file?

Edit: I'm almost wondering if it is due to an Access Denied issue... whenever I attempt to move a file, I get a pop up that says access denied, and that I need administrator permission, but I can click "Continue" to give that permission and the file is moved. I don't remember getting this pop up box before, and I'm already the administrator and owner of my entire C:\ drive. I just double-checked, and I'm still logged on as me, and still have all those permissions. I wonder if this pop up box is inhibiting the creation of the subtitle output file, and if there is a way to make this pop up box go away.

Last edited by Kaijo; 2012-04-14 at 11:12.
Kaijo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 11:55   Link #7
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaijo View Post
Not sure where else to ask this, and I would rather use a current thread then start a new one, so...

I've downloaded MKVExtractGUI2 2.2.2.9 and placed it in the MKVtoolnix folder. I open the GUI and select the subtitle track I want to extract(it's an .ssa file in an .mkv file) and hit "Extract" and, it seems to work, but there is no output file. I'm currently using Windows 7 64 bit OS. I mainly want to correct a few spelling errors, and perhaps change a word or two.

Has anyone run across this issue? Is there something else I can do to just fix a word here and there in a subtitled MKV file?
Funny, I just now started having this issue after years of using MKVExtractGUI2 and I have no idea why.
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 12:31   Link #8
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

I find the command-line approach, described above by Nicholi, to be easy and reliable. But then I'm using Linux.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 13:12   Link #9
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, sounds like the GUI facade isn't specifying an output file (it's just a pretty front for the command line stuff happening underneath). Is there a bug forum? Someone may have borked an update.

You might look around and see if you have to specify a standard output file deep inside some options menu. I've not tried the GUI... suppose I ought to.
Old 2012-04-14, 13:16   Link #10
Kaijo
Banned

I tried using the command line approach, too. Both in the Start > Run area, and opening a command line window. In both cases, it says "100% complete" but there is still no subtitle file anywhere.

Edit: There is no option menu on the GUI file. And I've tried a previous version of the GUI as well, with no luck. And as I just mentioned, I've tried the base command level, ignoring the GUI, too, with no luck. I've looked around a bit via Google, but haven't really found much. The closest I found was this:

http://forum.videohelp.com/threads/3...om-my-MKV-file

I am in the midst of running through some of those, but so far, haven't gotten anything to work (mkvcleaver doesn't give me a subtitle file, either, despite saying it was complete and OK). At this point, I may try a previous version of mkvextract. I just wanted to check to see if anyone else was having a similar issue, and if they had resolved it, before I try 101 methods.
Old 2012-04-14, 13:34   Link #11
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

yeah, that was my next suggestion, try a previous version if you can find an archive.

I got my tools from here (http://www.videohelp.com/tools/MKVtoolnix), but haven't done any subtitle work in over a year so I'll shut up now

Last edited by Vexx; 2012-04-14 at 13:37. Reason: said a stupid thing, deleted it
Vexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 14:38   Link #12
sneaker

Yes, mkvextract seems to report success, even though it does not have sufficient rights. This is a bug.

You can either:
1. write to an output directory which allows writing for normal users (Windows' UAC runs programs with user rights, even when you are logged in as admin) or
2. run it with admin rights
sneaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 15:08   Link #13
Kaijo
Banned

Aha, running it as admin works (as does an earlier version when I extract everything to a specific folder). So, I think this is issue is solved for now. Just need to figure out why, even though I'm logged in as an admin and have all permissions, Windows 7 still treats me as though I don't have total control. Thanks everyone, for your suggestions!
Old 2012-04-14, 15:14   Link #14
sneaker

Quote:
Just need to figure out why, even though I'm logged in as an admin and have all permissions, Windows 7 still treats me as though I don't have total control. Thanks everyone, for your suggestions!
This is called UAC.
Old 2012-04-14, 16:02   Link #15
Kaijo
Banned

I gathered that much. I've been trying to turn it off, with no luck. Apparently you can turn it off in Vista, but so far, I've only been able to adjust the level in W7.

Edit: Hmm, okay, computer apparently needs a restart after sliding the bar to the bottom. I knew I should have gone with Linux. /sigh
Old 2012-04-14, 16:45   Link #16
sneaker

Linux also does that. Microsoft copied that feature from them. Don't turn it off, just use an appropriate folder and grant the user group writing rights. Image your mkvtoolnix download would've been trojan affected. Now that trojan would have no way to write into your windows or program files directory, because it is run with user rights. If you turn off UAC it can easily do that.
Old 2012-04-14, 17:20   Link #17
Random32
Also a Lolicon

DONT DISABLE UAC. It's a security risk to you and everyone who is unlucky enough to ever be on the same network as you.
Random32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 19:09   Link #18
Vexx
Obey the Darkly Cute ...
*Author

Well... if you do disable UAC, it does increase your security risk substantially because the system will no longer ask you if a program wants to make changes to critical files.

OTOH... if you have a machine that is disconnected from any network and you only move non-executable data files on and off of it .... your risk is somewhat mitigated.

But "average joe user" should really avoid it turning it off. I've only completely turned it off once on a test machine and attacked it as part of a lab test. In daily practice, I typically just put up with the hassle of UAC as a 'useful evil' (somewhat like requiring "SUDO" on root commands and never running as "root").

Sneaker's idea is a way of sandboxing the risk without turning off UAC.
Quote:
Linux also does that. Microsoft copied that feature from them. Don't turn it off, just use an appropriate folder and grant the user group writing rights. Image your mkvtoolnix download would've been trojan affected. Now that trojan would have no way to write into your windows or program files directory, because it is run with user rights.
Old 2012-04-14, 20:08   Link #19
SeijiSensei
AS Oji-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaker View Post
Linux also does that.
Linux also does what, exactly? Limit my ability to write in directories outside my /home/username and /tmp? Well, of course; that's pretty much true on any Unix derivative. But that wouldn't restrict me from running mkvtoolnix as an ordinary user and writing the output files to my home directory without any permissions issues.

Quote:
Edit: Hmm, okay, computer apparently needs a restart after sliding the bar to the bottom. I knew I should have gone with Linux. /sigh
If by the "bar" you mean the panel that usually resides at the bottom of the screen, I can move that to any screen edge I want (in KDE at least, and I'd bet the same is true for GNOME), and it happens immediately. I certainly don't need to reboot, or even log out and log back in.
SeijiSensei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-04-14, 20:42   Link #20
PositronCannon
*Fansubber

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
If by the "bar" you mean the panel that usually resides at the bottom of the screen, I can move that to any screen edge I want (in KDE at least, and I'd bet the same is true for GNOME), and it happens immediately. I certainly don't need to reboot, or even log out and log back in.
He's talking about the UAC level control on W7.
PositronCannon is offline   Reply With Quote