AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > Video Games

Notices

Old 2012-11-09, 07:52   Link #1341
Destined_Fate

Well it does show that they haven't learned anything and are still repeating the same mistakes as before. Seems that Bioware really is dead, huh?

No sprinting though? Seriously? Aren't they already capping on the speeder speeds too? There's also no legacies either if you're f2p so... Yeah. I'm not even sure many f2p players will even get to 50 due to how large the planets are and how long it takes to get anywhere even with a legacy speeder.
Destined_Fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 07:56   Link #1342
Xacual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destined_Fate View Post
Well it does show that they haven't learned anything and are still repeating the same mistakes as before. Seems that Bioware really is dead, huh?

No sprinting though? Seriously? Aren't they already capping on the speeder speeds too? There's also no legacies either if you're f2p so... Yeah. I'm not even sure many f2p players will even get to 50 due to how large the planets are and how long it takes to get anywhere even with a legacy speeder.
http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Right at the top, you have to make a purchase of some kind to unlock sprint.

I was influenced by a certain group overflowing with madness and started trying to write a story. Please give it a try. Crashed into Fantasy
Xacual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 08:04   Link #1343
Tokkan

Send a message via MSN to Tokkan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xacual View Post
http://www.swtor.com/free/features

Right at the top, you have to make a purchase of some kind to unlock sprint.
It's like how in TF2 F2P, if you're a F2P player then your backpack is only 50 slots instead of 200, rare and cosmetic items don't drop, you can only craft standard quality items and you can't trade items that haven't been gifted or traded to you.
Tokkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 09:16   Link #1344
Destined_Fate

Moving slower does seem to be a bigger issue than loot that's only good if you're seriously working towards endgame. They're going to end up scaring away a ton of new f2p players that will become frustrated over how large the second planet alone is and how ridiculously long it will take to go anywhere at just regular speed. Those with the fastest speeders still consider it an issue.

I can also see pvpers getting frustrated that f2pers are losing them matches because they can't sprint.
Old 2012-11-09, 10:02   Link #1345
JagdPanther
WE ARE.... PENN STATE....

Send a message via AIM to JagdPanther
I want to play just for the Trooper and Jedi story, but if they're making it that difficult... maybe just read the Wookiepedia entries on the story.

Avatar v. 37.0: Fighter Squadron 31. The VF-31 "Tomcatters."
JagdPanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-09, 17:19   Link #1346
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
Moving slower does seem to be a bigger issue than loot that's only good if you're seriously working towards endgame. They're going to end up scaring away a ton of new f2p players that will become frustrated over how large the second planet alone is and how ridiculously long it will take to go anywhere at just regular speed. Those with the fastest speeders still consider it an issue.

I can also see pvpers getting frustrated that f2pers are losing them matches because they can't sprint.
Quite true, but going F2P is probably the only move Bioware can make to keep SWTOR alive. They've been losing subscribers since it came out..literally (of course I was one of those that was madly addicted hehe). It doesn't hurt Bioware to make the game F2P; if anything, it actually can help it. Some players, maybe most will get frustrated with all the limited access and end up leaving; however, there's gonna be that other portion of players that will end up subscribing to get full access or that they actually like the game and will become full time subscribers.

At least everyone can do the story part of SWTOR entirely free.

In regards to the sprint deal, you do have to make a purchase, but from the looks of the coin symbol I think you just have to make ANY purchase from the cartel coin shop to unlock sprint. All players, new, returning, and current players will get cartel coins to start off.

"Caring may occur without curing, but curing cannot occur without caring."

“Uncertainty is the most disturbing part of decision making.”
barcode120x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-10, 00:26   Link #1347
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

Chances are, if you are on this thread, then you'd have bought the original client. This makes you a Preferred Account like other 1st time coin chargers. This means most of the funky restrictions like sprinting and the 2nd action bar have been removed for you. You still have to buy about 30bucks of other stuff, but you save 20 bucks compared to someone starting with just the downloaded client.
Old 2012-11-10, 04:53   Link #1348
Destined_Fate

http://dulfy.net/2012/10/23/swtor-cartel-market-items/

Seems to hint that f2p will get Sprint eventually, just not at level 1.

Holding Hide Helmet and Unify colors as hostages is just so cruel though... I expect to see a lot of f2p players looking like something out of the circus with their ugly mismatched gear.
Old 2012-11-10, 08:22   Link #1349
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

I've had 6 years of Wow to get me used to that, so I won't care.

And really, even in STO, where you can completely customize your gear, I see more rainbow uniforms than normal ones...
Old 2012-11-11, 01:17   Link #1350
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
I expect to see a lot of f2p players looking like something out of the circus with their ugly mismatched gear.
So true haha. Although, some of the generic greens, blues, and orange rarities pieces of gear actually looked pretty decent xD.

I sure hope that those armor sets on the cartel shop are just average pieces of gear and not something epic. Not a fan (I don't think anyone else is either) of pay-to-win mmos/games.

Old 2012-11-11, 01:20   Link #1351
Destined_Fate

Yeah some do look nice. The issue is when you find a Flashpoint drop that just doesn't match anything you're wearing due to random color differences. That's why unify is so handy... Well, I'm sure it wont matter at 50 since f2p is capped on the gear they can even wear anyway.

I worry though that some subbers will end up like Vanilla WoW elitists where they will trash the fresh blood and blame them for Warzone losses, Flashpoint wipes, and the such because of the f2p restrictions and lack of "apparent" skill.

Wonder what they'll call f2pers....
Old 2012-11-11, 01:24   Link #1352
creb
Hiding Under Your Bed

It seems like a poorly thought out business model, but if the game is on life support, I suppose the last thing management cares about is a healthy future for the game, and are instead likely just trying for fast cash to try to bring more short term returns on their hefty investment.

You'd think due to that heavy investment, they'd be more committed to the game, but boy were they quick to cut their losses and give up.

I still think Huttball is the best mmo pvp ever made. Maybe future MMOs will be more willing to make pvp maps like that, rather than the incredibly stale node capture/flag run that we've been doing non-stop for the last two decades.

The WZ limit/week for free accounts makes it unlikely free players will have much effect on WZ matches, so the reactionary comments there seem a bit overblown.
Also, cake.
creb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2012-11-11, 01:26   Link #1353
Destined_Fate

It is poorly made, they could have learned a lot on why LOTRO's model still works despite being an outdated game. This feels like a step back for a f2p option and makes it look like they still don't know what MMO players or even f2pers want.
Old 2012-11-11, 01:42   Link #1354
barcode120x
MSN, FNP-C

Quote:
It is poorly made, they could have learned a lot on why LOTRO's model still works despite being an outdated game. This feels like a step back for a f2p option and makes it look like they still don't know what MMO players or even f2pers want.
I wouldn't call it poorly made, I'd call it more of poorly updated game in terms of content and PvP. Well, maybe the PvP was poorly made aside from warzones, but the story, flash points, and some operations are done pretty well if I had to say. The classes we're a bit unbalanced if I recall back in January when I was playing, but I'm guessing all that has been sorted out...hopefully haha.

Old 2012-11-11, 02:28   Link #1355
Destined_Fate

I didn't mean to say that the game was poorly made what I meant was that their f2p system is and is a step back compared to what the competition in the f2p market is doing.
Old 2012-11-11, 03:16   Link #1356
Mahou
ダメ人 - 人間失格

Quote:
Wonder what they'll call f2pers....
How about parasites or leechers ? They profit from the same "fun" the pay-gamers have for free, but ruin their game because they are not "hard-working" and pay for the full packet in order to contribute to the teams victory.
Old 2012-11-11, 04:14   Link #1357
Destined_Fate

Well, WoW has nicknames for those that aren't Vanilla like Wrathbaby, Catakid, and the such. I look forward to see what the SWTOR fandom labels f2pers.
Old 2012-11-12, 18:29   Link #1358
MeisterBabylon
~ Your Smile ~
*Author

For some reason I think of the word "flippers". At the very least, it's a trap.
Old 2012-11-13, 01:53   Link #1359
Destined_Fate

Hmm.. Think their servers can deal with the initial f2p rush? Apparently the forum goers on SWTOR have lag issues and there are some worries that it'll get far worse once f2p hits.
Old 2012-11-16, 00:47   Link #1360
Destined_Fate

Well it's f2p now and already many are quitting again out of frustration over the p2win pay model and how even stuff like UI like Quickbars must be purchased with cartel coins. This isn't the best of starts for a fresh f2p change.

They really should have taken a page out of LoTRO on what to and not to do.

Tags
bioware, lucasarts, mmorpg, star wars, windows