AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Discussion > Older Series

Notices

Old 2010-03-30, 05:18   Link #3141
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

I think it won't have truly sunk for me in that Cross Game is over until next Sunday when there isn't a new episode. At least I still have Central Anime's release to get before I start going into withdrawals. After getting to know these characters for just short of a year, and watching them grow and mature (unlike many characters in longer running shows), I'm going to miss having them grace my home (nearly) every week with a visit.

Now for the agonizing wait for Viz to release the manga in the US...
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 05:22   Link #3142
Theowne
耳をすませば

^ That's the brilliance of longer shows like Touch, Cross Game, and Maison Ikkoku.

Generally the longer shows these days are mostly shounen ones. Most of the stuff targeted at ASuki run in tight 13 or 26 episode seasons.

But nothing quite matches the experience of following a set of characters and their story weekly for an extended period of time. You build an attachment that is just impossible with these bite sized seasons. It's really something that Cross Game was made like this, I feel like I have an inkling of what those people following Touch back in the 80s must have felt like.

My Site - Reviews collection, Sheet music, and etc.
Anime reviews/blog, piano arrangements, Studio Ghibli..
Theowne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 05:30   Link #3143
Willen
Aoba Tsukishima

It's probably why a few of my favorite series of all time are Kimagure Orange Road (48 eps., plus 8 OVA eps. and 2 movies), Maison Ikkoku (96 eps., a few OVAs, a movie and more), and Patlabor (47 eps., plus many OVAs, and movies). I finally got around to watching Touch just as Cross Game started airing last year and I know that they both will be joining my short list.
Willen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 06:24   Link #3144
SuperKnuckles
Anime Hobbyist

Well, Theowne, that is precisely why so many Shonen characters are memorable and even beloved. Or as for that matter, a lot of long running magical girl shows where all those episodes of exposition about them makes them almost iconic.

In the 80's it probably was Kenshiro of Hokuto no Ken. In 90's it probably was Usagi of Sailor Moon or Goku in Dragonball Z.

But yeah, great short series are always good, but there's something to be said for these shows that runs for a year or more to flesh out a certain character.

Like Touch, a lot of sports anime in the 80's had a lot of characters that were heavily expositioned. One of the classics being Attacker You!
SuperKnuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 09:02   Link #3145
Casshern

Can I say it now? It's finished so I can say it now, right? I wan't to see an OVA with AzumaxRisa Shidou!
*hides*
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 09:25   Link #3146
Kirarakim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
Can I say it now? It's finished so I can say it now, right? I wan't to see an OVA with AzumaxRisa Shidou!
*hides*
An interesting ship, mind you I can't ship something unless I see a good amount of interaction between the characters but it is an interesting idea I'll say that.

And speaking of Azuma I just loved when he said he only had a few really good guy friends. Azuma with Kou and Aoba was definitely one of my absolute favorite characters.
Old 2010-03-30, 09:43   Link #3147
Casshern

I only thought of them as a pair when I realised they both have that same expression, the one that looks like they're pissed off all the time The more I think about it, the more I feel that they are similar in the same way that Aoba and Kou are similar, in my opinion at least.
Casshern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 10:04   Link #3148
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casshern View Post
I only thought of them as a pair when I realised they both have that same expression, the one that looks like they're pissed off all the time The more I think about it, the more I feel that they are similar in the same way that Aoba and Kou are similar, in my opinion at least.
You'll get a couple who both look like they are pissed off all the time...
ano... that'd be... scary couple.
Old 2010-03-30, 10:54   Link #3149
germanturkey
Udon-YAAAAAAAA

mind blown. poko's a girl?

Risa and Azuma would be a scary ship.. if anything, i'd be more in favor of Azuma and that other girl pitcher.

Blessed are those who listen to headphones, for they listen to the sound of heaven.
germanturkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 16:37   Link #3150
velvet
"with you, happiness"

Still waiting for my last(?) volume of cross game.
Turned out the anime ended before the last volume come out, (I get the feeling my local publisher is waiting for the anime to end first.. )

A very satisfactory ending, Adachi Mitsuru-sensei, one that made me never regret of becoming your great fans.
Oh well, Katsu! here I come~

velvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 20:28   Link #3151
nst_silver
The 1000th summer

Where can I find cross game merchandise? I want that green-ish/brown-ish "AOBA" shirt that's in the halfway intermission picture. I must have that shirt.
nst_silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 22:43   Link #3152
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Hmmm. H2 or Touch? I have no exposure to either, really, other than reading the summaries. I'm thinking I may read Touch and watch H2, just because the visual style and animation is so old-school in Touch that I worry it might be a distraction. I know the Adachi acolytes here have strong feelings about the merits of both series.

Of course, I still plan on watching CG again, from the start...
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-30, 23:25   Link #3153
LusterFlare
Lost.

Finally got around to the last episode after these busy past few days. Indeed the anime did the manga justice. Even though I knew what was coming, I was struck with emotion during that hug scene. Also, nice to see the little bits the anime added in the end.
LusterFlare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 02:45   Link #3154
Asleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guardian Enzo View Post
Hmmm. H2 or Touch? I have no exposure to either, really, other than reading the summaries. I'm thinking I may read Touch and watch H2, just because the visual style and animation is so old-school in Touch that I worry it might be a distraction. I know the Adachi acolytes here have strong feelings about the merits of both series.

Was H2 completely animated?

No no Risa and Azuma I am glad they didn't randomly ship him off with someone just for the heck of it. Some writers like doing that, so I am happy he was left alone. Kou, Aoba and Azuma were my favorite characters. All the characters were wonderful though.
Asleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 03:19   Link #3155
poko-kun

Quote:
Originally Posted by germanturkey View Post
mind blown. poko's a girl?
I miss how people called me "girl". It's been a long time

Speaking of merchandise, I've seen a mug which has "Kou in Pro-uniform" on it.
Old 2010-03-31, 07:04   Link #3156
Spectacular_Insanity
Ha ha ha ha ha...
*Graphic Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
The ending recalls me my cosplay photo.
We took it a month or two before the manga reached the final chapter.
Spoiler for awww:

Sorry for being out of character (Aoba won't smile like this... but who knows the future)
I like that cosplay, but to be truly authentic....

...you need a BLUE glove!

Just kidding. In fact, I don't even know where one would even find a blue baseball glove.
Old 2010-03-31, 07:42   Link #3157
haru_sunye

I can't believe Cross Game is finally over! I'm glad that I had decided to pick up this series when it debuted, and that was partly thanks to Random Curiosity which is also ending. AHHHHHH!

"All the good things in life will come to an end."

I'll seriously miss the whole cast of wonderfully developed characters. It was fun watching CG on a regular basis, getting to know the characters and feeling their highs and lows. *sigh*
haru_sunye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 09:02   Link #3158
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Quote:

My understanding was that H2 was abridged in the anime version, so I just read the manga version. I enjoyed it.. although I really wish there weren't so many panty shots.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 14:06   Link #3159
Guardian Enzo
Seishu's Ace
*Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by poko-kun View Post
I miss how people called me "girl". It's been a long time

Speaking of merchandise, I've seen a mug which has "Kou in Pro-uniform" on it.
Kou mug? Where???
Guardian Enzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2010-03-31, 14:58   Link #3160
poko-kun

Quote:
Kou mug? Where???

http://natalie.mu/comic/news/24286

Go for Tigers!!! (though I like Seibu Lions)

Tags
baseball, drama, romance, school life, shounen, sports