AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > General > General Chat > News & Politics

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 2013-04-08, 12:26   Link #881
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Well it depends on where they test it, doesn't it. Seoul could be the test site for all we know.
Old 2013-04-08, 12:51   Link #882
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Before his escape from North Korea, Lee Gi-chul served as a lieutenant in the Korean People's army, part of the second war training unit responsible for guerrilla warfare.

He said that although the outside world might not enjoy growing animosities between North Korea and the west, it was something his fellow soldiers looked forward to. Not because they were overly patriotic, but because this was the only time they were fed properly.

During annual military drills between the US and South Korea, "we had to spend several nights in the field, march long distances at night, and even during rest, keep our boots on and sleep in short bursts," he said. "Nevertheless, we were happy because this was about the only time we received regular meals: 800g of daily rations. We called it a meal 'above the bowl' because normally there was so little rice in our bowls that you could see to the bottom before you even started eating."

Another former soldier in exile, Kim Hyun-soo, used to work in construction unit 501. "Throughout the year we did hard labour at construction sites or had to work on a farm. But during times of war readiness, the hard labour stopped. All we had to do was turn up to work and wait for orders. When we had to do night shifts in the field, no one took it seriously. Someone would always sneak out a few bottles of alcohol for us to drink at night." Soldiers would play card games while on standby, Kim said.

For ordinary North Koreans however, the military drills are considered more of a nuisance. Since soldiers have to relocate and remain in a restricted area for long periods, they are sent by senior officers into neighbouring villages to demand donations from farmers. One North Korean refugee said that they would "voluntarily offer goods to the soldiers, because no matter how much they saved for themselves, the soldiers would end up finding and stealing their property".

Kim added: "For North Korean soldiers, the US-ROK joint drills are golden days."
Just plain disgusting.

No wonder why I wish they get burned by playing with fire just for that. Those military are such a bunch of opportunists.
Old 2013-04-08, 12:59   Link #883
LeoXiao
思想工作

Another reminder that the people who are suffering the most are the North Koreans themselves. The real enemy is the regime, not those forced into its rule.
Old 2013-04-08, 13:03   Link #884
Vallen Chaos Valiant
Logician and Romantic

I am not sure I can blame NK soldiers to do what they can to get by. They don't sign up to kill people, it's just a living to them. And not that good a living at that. The solicitation of donations (scrounge) is official policy, so it isn't technically theft. It is old school in fact; Medieval soldiers did it, Napoleon did it, American civil war troops on both sides did it. Scorched Earth tactics was done to directly counter scrounging.

Troops only stopped doing it in recent history because it is more important to have a reliable supply of goods rather than unreliably stealing what you need.
Old 2013-04-08, 13:44   Link #885
mangamuscle
formerly ogon bat

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiraYamatoFan View Post
No wonder why I wish they get burned by playing with fire just for that. Those military are such a bunch of opportunists.
The sad truth is that in any time period at times of war ALL military are a bunch or opportunists that steal food (from friend or foe) & hardware knowing people might die of starvation, it is a common trait of humankind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vallen Chaos Valiant View Post
Troops only stopped doing it in recent history because it is more important to have a reliable supply of goods rather than unreliably stealing what you need.
More like they had enough supplies and did not need to draw upon petty theft, but cut their supply lines and blatant theft will start again.
Old 2013-04-08, 19:22   Link #886
Badkarma 1

Speakin for my fellow U.S. troops, we got fed regularly, or had MREs nearby.
As for stealin, I won't say it wasn't done, cause it was in WW1 and WW2, and so on, but when you come up on a bombed out barn or house, and nobody's around well you get the picture. Besides fresh eggs were an unknown back then.
I will tell you though I've had locals come up and offer me or my guys bread, hot sweet tea, and some native dishes that were damn good! Sometimes win in hearts and minds is better done at the dinner table or in the street bargainin than over the business ends if an M4A1 or Kalashnikov.
As one British sergeant once asked me,"OY Yank, what the bloody ell is that?!","A chicken I think!","Little old lady traded me this for 5 gallons of water!"
Battlefield negotiations do work, especially when foods involved!
Old 2013-04-08, 19:29   Link #887
Roger Rambo
Sensei, aishite imasu

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogon_bat View Post
More like they had enough supplies and did not need to draw upon petty theft, but cut their supply lines and blatant theft will start again.
To be fair, an army that's in combat that lost it's supplies tends to disintegrate against an enemy with intact supply lines pretty quickly.

It's hard to become a roving band of marauders when you run out of gas and the opposition comes after you in vehicles.
Old 2013-04-08, 19:31   Link #888
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

US Army Intellegence use to pay informants in Vietnam with rice rather than money. US military script wasn't worth that much to the locals, but a bag of rice? Eating it a priority.
Old 2013-04-08, 23:20   Link #889
killer3000ad

Japan deploys missile defences in Tokyo
Old 2013-04-08, 23:46   Link #890
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

Maybe they need to get that new laser system out to the Sea of Japan instead of with the Fifth Fleet in the Sea of Arabia.

Quote:
Navy unveils powerful ship-mounted laser weapon

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...id=msnhp&pos=1
Old 2013-04-09, 01:00   Link #891
NoemiChan
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to NoemiChan
Tomorrow's the big Day!!!! Weeeee!!!
Old 2013-04-09, 01:54   Link #892
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer3000ad View Post
I hope they have more of those posted on the coastline by the Sea of Japan if they want to make the interception before it even flies above Japanese land.
Old 2013-04-09, 02:17   Link #893
killer3000ad

NK tells foreigners in SK to take safety measures
Quote:
North Korea issued its latest dispatch of ominous rhetoric on Tuesday, telling foreigners in South Korea they should take steps to secure shelter or evacuation to protect themselves in the event of a conflict on the Korean Peninsula.
Old 2013-04-09, 02:19   Link #894
Yu Ominae
ARCAM Spriggan agent

Send a message via Yahoo to Yu Ominae
Hopefully there's still a Hong Kong or I'm still alive on the plane when I do fly there.

The Chinese and Russians are stepping up their game according to some of the news articles I've read after an ICBM test was stopped in California.

Even if we were at odds with each other, I still thank you for training me, Instructor Bowman - Yu Ominae, reflecting on Bowman's death after killing him in Phantom Island
Old 2013-04-09, 02:51   Link #895
Arczyx
None. ない. Nihil.

What North Koreans Think
Old 2013-04-09, 03:22   Link #896
NoemiChan
Banned

Kim: What the F@Ck!!!!
Old 2013-04-09, 03:34   Link #897
Ithekro
Gamilas Falls

As time goes one, I get the feeling their theory that the Bomb protects them will prove to be false.
Old 2013-04-09, 03:37   Link #898
KiraYamatoFan
Banned

Apparently, this was aired last week:

YouTube
Sorry; dynamic content not loaded. Reload?

Thank God there's Jon Stewart around to make people's day and take the piss out of North Korea.

WINDOWS 95 SLAM!!! Woo... what? Oh, wait a minute! What happened?
Old 2013-04-09, 03:42   Link #899
NoemiChan
Banned

It's really funny how concern NK is to other nations.,,, its like they're joking... They might be concern that if foreigners will get killed in the action, their respective nations will join the war against them..

Last edited by NoemiChan; 2013-04-09 at 16:52.
Old 2013-04-09, 04:11   Link #900
HasuMasu
*Artist

Eh, if anything happens we'll probably get involved anyway.
Closed Thread