AnimeSuki Forums

Register Forum Rules FAQ Members List Social Groups Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   AnimeSuki Forum > Anime Related Topics > Reviews & Recommendations

Notices

Old 2014-08-01, 15:46   Link #1
AuroraWolf

In Search for Anime

I love watching anime and reading manga, but lately I have fund that I can't seem to find something that peeks my interest. Currently I am watching Naruto and Attack on Titan, but in the past I have watched and liked FMA (and brotherhood), Bleach, Fairy Tail, Blue Exorcist, Soul Eater, Kekkaishi, InuYasha, and Sankarea. I have also read the manga for all of these as well as Blood Lad. Looking for any and all recommendations, except for One Piece.
Old 2014-08-01, 20:03   Link #2
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
I recommend:

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
Katanagatari
Tiger & Bunny
Full Metal Panic
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (watch in DVD order)
Chrome Shelled Regios
Crest of the Stars
Ranma 1/2
Ben-to
Hataraku Maō-sama
Chrono Crusade
Angel Beats
Tokyo ESP
Mirai Nikki
A Certain Magical Index

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?

Last edited by Sackett; 2014-08-01 at 22:15.
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 17:43   Link #3
scyllus
Tormund's Member

For more shonen shows try Magi. Little slow start but grows epical fast. Also Hunter x Hunter is being praised as hell right now.
And I second Sackett's recomendations. Try things outside the genre you usually watch and suddenly you have a whole new world to explore.
I would add
Trigun
Fate/Zero
just to check what might interest you more.
Also for manga :Pandora Hearts, a very complex story with decent action.
scyllus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-02, 21:04   Link #4
Sackett
Cross Game - I need more

Location: I've moved around the American West. I've lived in Oregon, Washington, Utah, and Oklahoma
Most of my suggestions are in the genre you seem to favor. A couple of them cross over with other genre, while still maintaining some of the action/adventure genre. I figure those will be good test cases to see if you'd be interested in other genre.

So please let us know what you think of the various suggestions.

Cross Game - A Story of Love, Life, Death - and Baseball. What more could you want?
Sackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-09, 16:27   Link #5
kitten320

Well that's not really surprising since you are only watching shounen which becomes a bore after some time since it is same thing over and over.

But since you like action, I'll try to keep suggestions related to that with just few additions.

Shounen wise Hunter x Hunter is good and different from majority.

Claymore - shounen but unique one with darker undertones.

Berserk is a classic. There is an old anime series and 3 re-make movies. Personally I prefer old anime over new. Movies skip quiet a lot.

Noragami is also pretty unique, slightly similar to Bleach. D.Gray Man too.

Toaru Majutsu no Index was a nice shounen too.

How do you feel about sports? Kuroko no Baske (basketball) kinda keeps shounen feel to it so it could be to your liking. Otherwise there is also Haikyuu!! (Volleyball) and Major (baseball).

If sport on its own bores you. there is One Out (baseball) where main hero wins not through physical strength but by tricking his opponents and using his head.

Now about something more unique:

Tokyo Ghoul is ongoing series with elements of horror, mystery and supernatural.

Baccano! - great action series with unique way of story telling.

Chihayafuru - another sport anime with slice of life element to it. Nice show for a change of pace from all of the action.

Fate/Zero - dark action series.

Ga-Rei Zero - another darker action.

Ghost Hunt - great mystery show about ghosts.

Great Teacher Onizuka - classic, comedy that everyone should watch. A perverted young man Onizuka becomes a teacher of a troublesome class and eventually decided to help them out. Let's just say that his ways of helping are very unique.

Mai HiME - was my first fave show. Won't deny that there are lots of problem areas but it still can give you a break from standard shounen shows. Action. Takes a while to get to better parts. First 7 episodes are more of a build up.

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica - not a fan of magical girl shows with cute faces? Trust me, this is not what you think. At least watch until episode 3. Show will surprise you.

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - main character is a normal student who accidentally gets involved with something he shouldn't. Now he is put before a choice, either kill or be killed. He chooses to kill and becomes a professional assassin.

Psycho-Pass - a future where potency of you becoming a criminal is measured and if you are found dangerous, you'll be stopped before you even have done anything. But is this system really that convenient? Gore and action.

Rainbow: Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin - series follow hardships of several guys who befriended each other in prison.

Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo - how about a comedy for a change? A normal guy is surrounded by prodigies who exceed in every department.

Seirei no Moribito - amazing adventure series about Balsa who is forced to become a bodyguard of young prince Chagum who is hunted down by his own father emperor.

Shiki - villagers start to die and epidemic is suspected, but is it really the case?

Zetsuen no Tempest - Girl,sister of one of the characters, is murdered. Her death causes two friends to drift apart as her brother disappears until one day he comes back with ability to use magic and want for revenge while world is on brick of being destroyed.
Old 2014-08-15, 04:37   Link #6
cupumanager

Ah, many are already recommended by others, so I'll just add...

Of course I have to recommend the must-watch classic Cowboy Bebop- Space Bounty Hunting with all the Jazz...

From the same creator as above, Samurai Champloo...only this time wandering Samurai with Hip-Hop.

Aerial Adventures - Fly with Last Exile and Eureka Seven. Please, watch the old Last Exile, the Ginyoku no Fam is nowhere as good.

Black Lagoon A Japanese Salaryman joins a Smuggler Group operating from a vintage WW2 PT Boat in the South Chinese Sea - crossing path with Mafias, Gangsters and much more sick guns for hire...
cupumanager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2014-08-15, 14:09   Link #7
Subpyro
Banned

It would appear like you like some sort of action shounen styled anime series. For a tad longer experience, I would recommend you to try the Hunter x Hunter (2011) series. They are a tad darker super power shounen, but are higher in quality than the big trio, imho. Next to it, I would suggest trying out Psycho-Pass. Those series are yet again a bit darker, but are a most excellent 2-cour sci-fi experience overall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuroraWolf View Post
I have also read the manga for all of these as well as Blood Lad.
In case you liked Blood Lad, I would recommend a 1-cour series called Hataraku Maou-sama! in case you will ever feel like watching some good comedy. The show achieves the point of making the audience laugh greatly and tends to put you in a good mood through its scenes. It might seem stupid or silly as a whole, but it is without a doubt grand.
Subpyro is offline   Reply With Quote